| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600 ... 617  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I was chopping a zucchini, and there was a small worm inside of it. I tried my best not to freak out and tossed the zucchini outside to set it free. And there went my dinner because zucchini was a major part of the meal and I only had one. Still finished the meal but it just wasn't the same. Oh dear that is such a first world problem!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:02 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i had to bury two kittens today. i finally found the rest of the litter, i was hoping these two would make it. so in one week we buried 5 kittens, my heart hurts.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

missmuffcake wrote:
i had to bury two kittens today. i finally found the rest of the litter, i was hoping these two would make it. so in one week we buried 5 kittens, my heart hurts.

Oh thats so terrible. My heart goes out to you.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:53 pm 

I'm in an awkward situation where a "not really about me" decision was made that puts me in the position of feeling really disrespected by people that I care about. I can't decide whether to say anything to them about it, because I feel like any way I could imagine them responding turns into a chain reaction of drama and I'm not really prepared to deal with that. I don't want to go into a lot of detail in an public internet post but I'm pretty upset/hurt/angry about it, and I kinda feel like I'm making a big deal of of nothing and taking it way too personally, but...it's a big deal to me and that's how I feel. I guess I'm mostly just upset because I feel like it's happening at a particular intersection of my life where I don't have anyone who'd really even understand if I tried to explain how much this bothers me, if that makes sense? Plus I've just been having a really shitty and exhausting week/weekend, and I didn't need any more stress or drama in my life right now. Bleh.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

buh cq I'm sorry that sucks :(

my worst thing was talking to my mother, like it is every time she calls.
I just... can't do this, she tries to guilt me in to not feeling uncomfortable with things she does? I can't say anything right and I've stopped stroking her ego so she gets furiously angry when I don't seem to be paying enough attention, she's like a petulant child. I don't know, I'm trying to visit my grandparents in june and she now lives across the street from them so now I can't avoid her... aughh

agh this seems so petty, but it forks me uppppp whenever she calls and she's starting to do it weekly and won't stop calling if I don't pick up and :(

-

the flipside of this is that my dad is being crazy supportive recently and I and simultaneously grateful and DEEPLY SUSPICIOUS because of I DON'T KNOW, MY ENTIRE HISTORY WITH HIM?
so I feel guilty for being ungrateful in some waysss uuuggghhhhhhhhh

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:11 am 
Chard Martyr

My uncle (the dude married to my aunt, so not blood related and just for reference is estranged from his three daughters) was drunk today when we went to drop off my husband's vehicle (which he is selling for us), and he told my husband loudly, in front of me, that he "sure forking married into a crazy family" and then proceeded to make fun of my dad, very cruelly, in front of us both. I just walked away and went to pet his dog, but now I'm kicking myself for not sticking up for my dad, who is the most kind and selfless man I know. My uncle doesn't like him because they have very different values, and he deals with that difference in insults. He also asked me if I wanted to go skinny dipping in his pool (what the fizzle) and gave me an inappropriate hug goodbye. I am very, very okay with the fact that we are moving to the opposite end of the country from him.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

booberthefraggle wrote:
my worst thing was talking to my mother, like it is every time she calls...agh this seems so petty, but it forks me uppppp whenever she calls and she's starting to do it weekly and won't stop calling if I don't pick up and :(

Obviously I don't know you or your family situation, boober, but it sounds rough and it doesn't seem petty at all to me. Mother/daughter stuff can be complicated at the best of times, I think, and it sounds like your mom expects you to mother her. Which is a whole new level of complicated. It sounds to me like a genuinely upsetting and stressful experience rather than something petty!

booberthefraggle wrote:
the flipside of this is that my dad is being crazy supportive recently and I and simultaneously grateful and DEEPLY SUSPICIOUS because of I DON'T KNOW, MY ENTIRE HISTORY WITH HIM?
so I feel guilty for being ungrateful in some waysss uuuggghhhhhhhhh

Again, obviously I don't know you or your family situation but I'm going to go ahead and tell you this: feeling guilty about being deeply suspicious of someone you have a bad/complicated history with is only going to eat at you! Feeling deeply suspicious of someone you have a bad/complicated history with is smart; you are being a good mammal who has learned from your experiences and you have to take care of yourself.

So, grains of salt from an internet stranger and whatnot, but one of the smartest things anyone ever told me was that feeling bad about how I was feeling was kind of a horrible trap and didn't actually make anything better and accepting how I felt would be easier on me in the long run. Easy to say, hard to do, I know. I guess I'm just saying it's okay to be upset about upsetting things and I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

vijita, I'm sorry to hear that, but one can't reason with drunk people. no matter what you would have said, it likely wouldn't have made a dent in whatever his issues are.
i'm glad to hear you're moving far, far away, the guy sounds like a super creep.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:28 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The hospital royally screwed up and sent my bosses very sick wife home. And now she is back in the hospital. The screw up also required I drag him out of court.
So I am going to work tomorrow (on a day when the office is closed) to help smooth things out with the courts. Which is my least favorite thing to do at work.
Then I found out that they think Kid 1's ligaments are actually what are causing his knee troubles.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Phone conversation with a lady from work this morning made a bad day so much worse. I hate that it has bothered me the way it has.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Almost started crying at the doctor's today -- namingly over the fact that I lost eight pounds last week that I really wasn't supposed to lose. I've had ED issues before, and though have been recovered for almost 2 years now still lose my appetite when I'm stressed out or depressed. This is really frustrating, as I'm now on a restricted diet to treat candida and it will be all the more challenging to maintain my weight.

It's the cherry on top of worsening migraines and not having seen my partner for over three weeks. So basically, I've been sick and alone for the last month and am just very, very sad.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's become definitely unignorable that I'm quite intolerant to a common ingredient in vegetarian sausages. One or two, I'm just about fine. More than that, I get swelling in my sinuses and become a walking, aching mucus dispenser. Like hayfever, but triggered by seitan-y things.

I'm placing a bet on it being gluten. I basically have a runny nose all year round, which could be something to do with that. Like a very low-scale allergy? I don't know. Either way, I'm going wheat-free for a week to see if anything magical happens.

Allergy tests cost money, so I won't go for one unless I'm certain. I don't like self-diagnosing things, but suddenly everything fell into place. "Eat seitan, an hour later get aches and mucus" is enough of a pattern for me to be suspicious.

It's annoying that you can't google anything to do with gluten without finding lots and lots of pseudoscience and I'm cleverer than that.

This is in the "worst things" thing because it totally ruined a barbecue yesterday. I felt vile.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I suck at math and there is a good chance I bombed the final I had this morning. Then I found out that the person who sits next to me, who has a learning disability of some sort and is allowed to take tests on a different day, in a quiet room with more time, has been taking notes into the testing room (we aren't allowed notes). She tells the people who oversee the tests that our instructor allows notes, and no one questions her, apparently. I found this out from her friend, who sits in our row. I know I shouldn't care what someone else does, but the fact that I bomb the tests honestly while someone else (possibly) cheats really sticks in my craw. I can't even really report her, because I've never witnessed it and for all I know her friend is wrong, or lying for some reason. Grr.

I also got roped into playing Cards Against Humanity at my sweetie's company picnic. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think that game is really boring and unfunny. I put on a smiley face for my partner's sake but GOD, I thought it would never end.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

She may have an accommodation that allows notes. It's pretty rare for testing centers not to check that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lavawitch wrote:
She may have an accommodation that allows notes. It's pretty rare for testing centers not to check that sort of thing.

You are probably right. My brain is addled with worry and frustration right now. She's talked about cheating in the past, but that doesn't mean she cheats on her tests. And even if it does, there's nothing I can do about it and it doesn't affect me anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 am 

SassyOh wrote:
I suck at math and there is a good chance I bombed the final I had this morning. Then I found out that the person who sits next to me, who has a learning disability of some sort and is allowed to take tests on a different day, in a quiet room with more time, has been taking notes into the testing room (we aren't allowed notes). She tells the people who oversee the tests that our instructor allows notes, and no one questions her, apparently. I found this out from her friend, who sits in our row. I know I shouldn't care what someone else does, but the fact that I bomb the tests honestly while someone else (possibly) cheats really sticks in my craw. I can't even really report her, because I've never witnessed it and for all I know her friend is wrong, or lying for some reason. Grr.

I also got roped into playing Cards Against Humanity at my sweetie's company picnic. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think that game is really boring and unfunny. I put on a smiley face for my partner's sake but GOD, I thought it would never end.

I'm someone who loves Cards Against Humanity, but I can totally understand why someone would hate it. That sucks that you were pressured into playing. You should not have to play if you don't want to!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

choirqueer wrote:
SassyOh wrote:

I'm someone who loves Cards Against Humanity, but I can totally understand why someone would hate it. That sucks that you were pressured into playing. You should not have to play if you don't want to!

Thank you :)
If I really found it offensive I wouldn't have played, but I don't, so I just gritted my teeth and did it. It was one of those things where I would have been the ONLY person out of a huge group not playing, and I didn't want my partner to be singled out as the guy with the wet-blanket girlfriend. People are weird about stuff like that!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

SassyOh wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
SassyOh wrote:

Thank you :)
If I really found it offensive I wouldn't have played, but I don't, so I just gritted my teeth and did it. It was one of those things where I would have been the ONLY person out of a huge group not playing, and I didn't want my partner to be singled out as the guy with the wet-blanket girlfriend. People are weird about stuff like that!

Haha, this resonated with me... I used to enjoy Cards Against Humanity but after playing it several times I got extremely tired of it, and realized that many of the "jokes" are pretty problematic. For example I was playing with a friend who's black and she got really uncomfortable about the card that just says "Black people"... though interestingly, the friend who introduced me to the game is also black. I still find that card, and several others, really unfortunate and they kinda spoil the game for me now.

But guess what one of my best friends gave me for my birthday? That's right, Cards Against Humanity. I smiled and thanked him of course, and now it is sitting on a shelf in my living room gathering dust. I am dreading the day when he asks if I've been enjoying it...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

corduroy wrote:
Haha, this resonated with me... I used to enjoy Cards Against Humanity but after playing it several times I got extremely tired of it, and realized that many of the "jokes" are pretty problematic. For example I was playing with a friend who's black and she got really uncomfortable about the card that just says "Black people"... though interestingly, the friend who introduced me to the game is also black. I still find that card, and several others, really unfortunate and they kinda spoil the game for me now.

But guess what one of my best friends gave me for my birthday? That's right, Cards Against Humanity. I smiled and thanked him of course, and now it is sitting on a shelf in my living room gathering dust. I am dreading the day when he asks if I've been enjoying it...

Most of the cards I saw yesterday were pretty racist, some were about rape and pedophilia, and some were just gross and poo-centric. I think awful things can be funny, but it takes some skill. I don't want to hijack the thread. I guess I just don't 'get' CAH.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:44 pm 
Cranky

The people I play with have a rule that you may discard any card that crosses a line for you, no questions asked.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:01 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Dr. Apricot wrote:
The people I play with have a rule that you may discard any card that crosses a line for you, no questions asked.

I love that rule for IRL play.
Playing on-line that can't happen but I just sort of mentally block the icky cards and move on with the game.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:20 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

While we're on the topic, sometimes the czar card will be such that you can use the offensive white cards to actually be criticizing or calling out prejudice and that kind of thing. Of course that's a bit rare but that's an option.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:23 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Getting a haircut. I hate getting haircuts. Oh the tragedy!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am 

Mars wrote:
While we're on the topic, sometimes the czar card will be such that you can use the offensive white cards to actually be criticizing or calling out prejudice and that kind of thing. Of course that's a bit rare but that's an option.

Yeah! That's part of the fun of the game for me, finding ways to creatively make things funny that in most contexts would not be funny. Also, I pretty much only play with friends, and we generally have an understanding that we know some of the cards are horrible and the only way to get them out of your hand is to play them. And in some ways, it's kind of like playing a violent video game or a roleplaying game; just because someone behaves a certain way "in game" doesn't necessarily reflect on who they are in "real life". But I do think you have to have a certain level of trust with the people with whom you're playing for that dynamic to work.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:12 am 

my star bucks gold card is missing. lost a piece of my fave bracelet. i hope to find replacements for both tomorrow...

i have cramps - solve that by going to bed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600 ... 617  Next