| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604 ... 625  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:11 am 
And you never will.

One would think that the worst thing about my day yesterday was the strep throat I woke up with, but actually it was when I mentioned Maya Angelou's passing to my husband, and he said "I don't know who that is" :(

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I seem to have developed seasonal allergies, for the first time ever, at age 35.

Being in a constant state of almost-sneezing sure is something.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

State test scores were awful. Pretty safe to say that my teaching career is over. Scores are now most of the evaluation, so they won't be able to keep me, and nobody else will hire me with those scores.

All the kids who didn't do any review activities failed. Half of them.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lavawitch wrote:
State test scores were awful. Pretty safe to say that my teaching career is over. Scores are now most of the evaluation, so they won't be able to keep me, and nobody else will hire me with those scores.

All the kids who didn't do any review activities failed. Half of them.

It's really awful that you are penalized so severely. I'm sorry to hear this, good teachers are hard to come by.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Obviously I'm not a good teacher.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Well, I have no way of knowing that, but I've known good teachers who were in your shoes, and I think it's wrong. Teachers can only provide the information, the students do have a responsibility to study and put in the effort to learn as best they can. When I was in high school, I was one of the 'bad kids'. I never did my homework, I rarely studied, and I often cut class, but I had some fantastic teachers who cared and tried to help me. The fact that I chose to ignore them was not indicative of their teaching abilities.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The other teacher manages to motivate her students to do work. I can't seem to do that.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Obviously I'm not a good teacher Obviously it's not a good education system.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:49 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Rowan wrote:
Obviously I'm not a good teacher Obviously it's not a good education system.

+1 for every kid failed by this system. So, you know, a lot.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:58 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Part of me thinks I'm overreacting, but I'm feeling kind of freaked out. I was in a public place today when I felt the back of my shirt being pulled down pretty roughly. I was really startled and I turned around to see a man I didn't know, who was pulling down the neck of my shirt. I have a tattoo between my shoulders which was just barely visible over the top of my shirt, and he apparently thought it was acceptable to come up behind me and pull my shirt down to look at it without even saying a word to me. He commented on it (because telling me it was nice means it's ok to touch me without my permission?), and then I walked away as soon as possible. I'm mad at my self for not saying something, but I was just too shocked to respond at first and then I just wanted to get away from him. I don't know, I'm probably making too big a deal out of this but I was already feeling a little anxious and that really didn't help.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

muffinpants wrote:
Part of me thinks I'm overreacting, but I'm feeling kind of freaked out. I was in a public place today when I felt the back of my shirt being pulled down pretty roughly. I was really startled and I turned around to see a man I didn't know, who was pulling down the neck of my shirt. I have a tattoo between my shoulders which was just barely visible over the top of my shirt, and he apparently thought it was acceptable to come up behind me and pull my shirt down to look at it without even saying a word to me. He commented on it (because telling me it was nice means it's ok to touch me without my permission?), and then I walked away as soon as possible. I'm mad at my self for not saying something, but I was just too shocked to respond at first and then I just wanted to get away from him. I don't know, I'm probably making too big a deal out of this but I was already feeling a little anxious and that really didn't help.

NO. NOT OKAY. You are definitely NOT making too big a deal out of this, and if anyone tells you that THEY ARE WRONG. It is NEVER okay for someone to touch you like that without your explicit permission!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:28 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah, that is really shitty. I don't know what it is about tattoos that make people think that it's totally okay to grab or touch a person with tattoos so they can get a better look. I've had people grab and touch me to look at my tattoos, and then get all indignant when I tell them to cut the shiitake. "No, you don't understand - I LIKE it." "Uh, I don't care? Don't touch me!"

I'm sorry that happened. I hope it doesn't ruin your day, though; it's just some idiot who doesn't know how to behave like a decent person, and he should feel bad about that, not you. <3

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

choirqueer wrote:
muffinpants wrote:

NO. NOT OKAY. You are definitely NOT making too big a deal out of this, and if anyone tells you that THEY ARE WRONG. It is NEVER okay for someone to touch you like that without your explicit permission!

This. That is totally unacceptable behavior and you are absolutely not making too big a deal out of this. I'm sorry that happened to you, muffinpants. That would totally skeeve me out too.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:51 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Thanks everyone, it really helps to know I'm not alone in thinking that was uncalled for. I know if it would have happened to someone else, I would have been outraged, but I'm too quick to dismiss things like that when they happen to me. My husband has been extra sweet and supportive ever since it happened (he was nearby, but didn't see) and I'm feeling better now.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:47 pm 
Impressive boner

Peanut had been looking a little off-colour for about a day, but only for a minute or so at a time before becoming normal again. Today I tried her on 0.1ml of paediatric ibuprofen, to see if it would ease her symptoms. The dosage for guinea pigs is up to 100mg per kg but because she hadn't taken it before I didn't want to give her more than that.

A couple of hours later she had a bloated abdomen. I lost old lady Pudding to bloat and didn't want Peewee to go the same way so took her to the out of hours vet (Saturday PM is out of hours). The bloat seemed to go on the drive there and she did a load of shiitakes on the table in the surgery. Because it was out of hours there was a £100 surcharge for her to see the vet. I'm not giving her ibuprofen again.

At over £140 it was the most expensive poo ever.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm glad she was ok!

Sort of similar with Molly's black eye. I drove her to the avian vet, he looked over, washed her eye with saline (same thing we did at home) and we left $200 later. Was worth it for my peace of mind though. Molly was pretty ok all along, but I was freaking out.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:05 pm 
Impressive boner

It's rubbish not knowing what's wrong with animals or how to help them. I've put off taking my rodentology course until later in the year but will be glad of the extra knowledge it'll provide.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think it's hard to maintain perspective too. I was just so freaked out that I had myself convinced Molly was going to lose her eyeball or something. I knew she was ok (really), but my wee precious baby had an injury. What can you do?

I thinks it's even worse with pets like birds or guinea pigs because they are so much more enigmatic than dogs or cats. Our dog never really put much effort into pretending he was well when he wasn't.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:33 pm 
Impressive boner

So true, on both counts. I was worried about her being kept in for observation and being in pain in a strange place without her friend Mina at her side. Small animals are awesome but a pain in the backside for their ability to hide illness.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:57 pm 
Dead by dawn

muffinpants wrote:
Part of me thinks I'm overreacting...

I hope the part of you that thinks you're overreacting is approximately 0% but I know that we are conditioned to doubt our responses to this kind of thing (I am assuming that you're a woman because you have a husband and it seems far less likely that a man would have felt free to handle another man that way... please forgive me if I'm mistaken!) I also have a tattoo between my shoulder blades but it's low enough that it usually either doesn't show at all or all of it shows, and I have never had anyone touch me because of it. I honestly can't say how I would react in the moment! Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better about it now.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

muffinpants wrote:

You are not overreacting at all. At best, it's unsettling to be groped, at worst it can be triggering and very scary. It makes me so angry when people try to touch me to get a better look at my tattoos.
I used to dye my hair bright, bright red, and because I knew a lot of hair stylists I managed to keep it up really well. It looked very wig-like. I was standing in line at the old Cala Foods on Pine Street in SF when suddenly my head was jerked backwards. I whirled around, shocked, and found an elderly woman with a smile on her face. "I just wanted to see if that was a wig!" she said. I somehow didn't scream in her face (I was REALLY angry) but I told her that she was extremely rude, yanking my hair hurt, and that PULLING OFF SOMEONE'S WIG would be a pretty shitty thing to do. God, people can be so awful.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:42 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I just gouged the fork out of my foot. So gross and so painful.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dropped a very sharp, very hefty knife on my toe this morning. Got a large cut, though it doesn't appear to have severed any tendons (I'm assuming, since I have full toe mobility). I can see way more of the inside of my toe than I would like. So now I have a big bandage on it. I am, however, very grateful that it doesn't hurt almost at all. Yay for a sharp, clean cut, I guess.

And I had to cancel a super sweet hike/picnic because of it! Very disappointing. We drove out to a picnic area instead, so not all was lost.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I started drinking again. I will be stopping again after tonight.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:35 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I got paid Friday (I just get paid once a month) and last night I paid all my bills, did a little math, figured out that right now after rent and bills and bus pass and the cat food/some groceries I just bought I'll have $161 left to spend in June from my actual paycheck, but I'll be making somewhere between 200 and 300 from babysitting this month which by my just-scraping-by standards is fine.

And then when I was in the shower this morning I suddenly realized I FORGOT TO CALCULATE MY $117 HEALTH INSURANCE PAYMENT INTO THAT.

And then I cried because how do I get more money so I can actually live and stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604 ... 625  Next