| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620 ... 630  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 am 
Lime and a Coconut

annak wrote:

The worst thing about my day has been the Malaysia Air crash. It's just so awful on so many levels. I just read that quite a few AIDS researchers and activists were aboard headed to a conference in Australia. How many research groups and organizations are going to be set back by this? How many families affected? It's just..so horrible and unnecessary.

Absolutely. It's terrifying to think that two major accidents have happened in the past year with the same airline. The worst part of this for me was I was reading an article this morning about those who had been lost, and there is an Australian woman who lost her brother in the MH370 disaster and her stepdaughter in this one. Another paragraph mentioned a grandfather who was traveling with his 3 grandchildren, all under the age of 10. The whole thing just makes me sick, especially the fact that it wasn't a mechanical failure or an honest accident- someone in the Ukraine (or nearby) made a decision to pull a trigger or push a button or whatever and kill those totally unsuspecting, innocent people. It's horrifying.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Thank you ndpittman, Moon, lutin, annak, and Desdemona.

Yes, the Malaysian Air crash is so awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

it's fascinating that they're calling it a crash. wouldn't it be more accurate to call it an attack? if a missile hit a car, would they call that a crash or something else? (are they calling it a crash because it didn't entirely blow up from the missile?) just seems like they're playing down the attack angle by calling it a crash.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:02 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
annak wrote:

The worst thing about my day has been the Malaysia Air crash. It's just so awful on so many levels. I just read that quite a few AIDS researchers and activists were aboard headed to a conference in Australia. How many research groups and organizations are going to be set back by this? How many families affected? It's just..so horrible and unnecessary.
Absolutely. It's terrifying to think that two major accidents have happened in the past year with the same airline. The worst part of this for me was I was reading an article this morning about those who had been lost, and there is an Australian woman who lost her brother in the MH370 disaster and her stepdaughter in this one. Another paragraph mentioned a grandfather who was traveling with his 3 grandchildren, all under the age of 10. The whole thing just makes me sick, especially the fact that it wasn't a mechanical failure or an honest accident- someone in the Ukraine (or nearby) made a decision to pull a trigger or push a button or whatever and kill those totally unsuspecting, innocent people. It's horrifying.
Yes to all of this. I honestly feel sick about this, and I'm so worried and upset about the state of our world. Between this and Gaza, I just want to climb into bed and stay there. We've been traveling and so I haven't been paying as close attention to the news as usual; waking up to this was like a nightmare, and everything I read about it just makes it worse. I have a friend in Ukraine, and she says it's just a horror show there, and of course all possible perpetrators are pointing fingers at each other. Whichever faction is guilty, this is just an inconceivably brutal act; what on earth could make anyone do such a heinous, disgusting thing?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:31 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I got stung by a honey bee on my elbow, and it hurts like fork. While I was tweezing out the stinger, I could hear it buzzing around in my hair, then it flew into the sink. I'm guessing he didn't have any fun either, but holy crepe this still hurts. I iced it too. :------[

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I went back to the eye doctor because the new pairs I tried didn't seem to make much of a difference (they were trying to correct an astigmatism I didn't have before). Anyway, nothing we tried seems to make any difference. No matter what, my left eye vision is blurry, and since it is my left eye that determines how I see (my right eye doesn't focus) I'm pretty much screwed.

I'm sure there is more crepe that can go wrong this summer. I guess I wait and find out though I think I'm about at the point where I don't really even care.

I told my old job that I'm bio certified now since that was (I guess?) their supposed reason for not hiring me back (no idea what their excuse for not telling me they weren't hiring back is other than that I'm not worth much consideration and I'm just beneath any sort of common courtesy), and they didn't even acknowledge my email (I copied to all three involved people).

What is it like to have people in everyday life treat you with normal courtesy? Or is there no such thing as normal courtesy? Am I just completely undeserving of such things? I know I never matter to anybody, but couldn't they pretend for good manner's sake?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:02 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry lavawitch. That sounds incredibly hard and I hope things get better for you soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just don't know what I did/didn't do. I never saw them treat anybody else badly before. They were always pretty straight with people.

They told me they needed someone who could do bio because of enrollment issues (after I called to see why the job was listed when I hadn't been given any indication of such a thing), so less than two weeks later, I have bio since I immediately went and got it. Clearly that wasn't the real reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I would give it a couple of days, LW. Hopefully they'll see the error of their ways. If not, you did nothing wrong, and you DO ABSOLUTELY deserve common courtesy which if it's not a thing anymore I feel we must strive to make it a thing. Randomly checked out my company, and there are only a few jobs in Virginia, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to check it out? Since you're already proven that you're capable of long-haul trucker driving, I bet sales wouldn't be that rough. I've been thinking about heading that direction because that's where the actual money is. And you get to talk to professor who for the most part are awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:51 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Um, so that whole plane crash thing. With the hundred AIDS researchers... well... I might be saying obvious or crazy person shiitake, because I can't bring myself to read more than just headlines, but, does anyone else feel like this plane might have been specifically targeted? Ughhhhhhhhhhhh *crawls in a hole* *annoyed that my phone still connects to internet in said hole and sees that people on my friend list are having a debate about Israel v Palestine* *goes to another hole*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:52 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Mars wrote:
Um, so that whole plane crash thing. With the hundred AIDS researchers... well... I might be saying obvious or crazy person shiitake, because I can't bring myself to read more than just headlines, but, does anyone else feel like this plane might have been specifically targeted? Ughhhhhhhhhhhh *crawls in a hole* *annoyed that my phone still connects to internet in said hole and sees that people on my friend list are having a debate about Israel v Palestine* *goes to another hole*

No, because there's no way for the people on the ground in the Ukraine to have known who was actually on that plane. From what I've read, all indications are that whoever shot it down thought they were aiming at a military target.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:10 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

woke up feeling okay then as soon as I moved I had bad pain on my upper left side. been spending an hour looking up heart attack symptoms but I think it's actually pulled muscles in my back. bit of a forker as I have loads of chores that need doing and it's painful to do virtually anything that isn't lying down!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:18 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I just had to upload two discs of autopsy photos at work. Of two 'badly decomposed' bodies. I was thankfully able to hide it in the background and go through icons rather than thumbnails, but there were a few mouse clicks where I just had to look straight ahead and will my peripheral vision to temporarily black out. One of the few drawbacks of an otherwise awesome gig.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

LW, you live in Fred, right? i had the worst time finding a good optometrist there (and the search here in richmond hasn't been much better.) do you like yours? do you sleep with fans on or work near fans? i was having a really hard time with blurriness (my eyes are like yours, one is twice as bad as the other and basically useless) and it turns out part of the problem was chronic dryness that was causing tiny scars on my corneas. just a thought...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine died last night. She was only 48, and died from an incredibly aggressive cancer that took her in under a year. She was such a bright, wonderful, force for good in the world, and I am so sad that she is gone. She was a fundraiser, an athlete, someone who spent her whole life caring for others and just generally being awesome.

And sadly, her treatments weren't covered by insurance, so her family maxed out credit cards, borrowed and did everything they could to get her the $160,000 of treatments in the hopes of prolonging her life and healing her. Its so sad to live in a country where when you have cancer you can't just focus on getting better, you have to worry about the financial costs of all of it.

She's one of three friends that I've lost recently to cancer, and given that I lost my mother to cancer as well, it just scares me so much. I am just so sad tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm so sorry, tofulish! That is so sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:29 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am so sorry for your loss Tofulish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:15 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm sorry for your loss, Tofulish, and also (continuously) angry at the multiple dysfunctions of US health care ("care").

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:18 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm so sorry, Tofulish. Sorry that your friend is gone and sorry that the US's healthcare funding is so broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Tofulish wrote:
A friend of mine died last night. She was only 48, and died from an incredibly aggressive cancer that took her in under a year. She was such a bright, wonderful, force for good in the world, and I am so sad that she is gone. She was a fundraiser, an athlete, someone who spent her whole life caring for others and just generally being awesome.

And sadly, her treatments weren't covered by insurance, so her family maxed out credit cards, borrowed and did everything they could to get her the $160,000 of treatments in the hopes of prolonging her life and healing her. Its so sad to live in a country where when you have cancer you can't just focus on getting better, you have to worry about the financial costs of all of it.

She's one of three friends that I've lost recently to cancer, and given that I lost my mother to cancer as well, it just scares me so much. I am just so sad tonight.

So sorry Tofulish, That sounds crushing and very scary.

The health care system in the US sounds so unfair and anxiety-provoking. I'd be so scared of getting sick I think. Well even more than I am now in a country with universal, free health care.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

On monday I realized I need to DTMFA but during our conversation yesterday, I just couldn't... I feel like shiitake.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so sorry 'fulish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Seriously, fork cancer (and the US healthcare system).

No one of my things today is all that bad but it's combining into a bit of a shiitake sandwich: I have a mild UTI, the bus that I take for the first leg of my commute broke down a couple miles out from my destination (I walked it because it was faster than waiting around for another bus) which just threw my schedule off a bit, I forgot to pack my lunch (my appetite's messed up from the UTI anyway so hey who cares), an angry guy really aggressively street harassed me (which is funny in hindsight (the phrase "coffee drinking city girl" was used (I wasn't drinking coffee) but was terrifying at the time), and a new bug has surfaced in a work project that I've been trying to get out the door for forking months.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Tofulish wrote:
Its so sad to live in a country where when you have cancer you can't just focus on getting better, you have to worry about the financial costs of all of it.

This is by far the most brutal and crushing aspect of it. This is such a sad story, it's just unconscionable that your friend's family has to bankrupt themselves in order to give her the care she deserved in addition to dealing with the emotional fallout. I'm so, so sorry for your loss and for the loss of your friend's family.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:28 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I stupidly forgot to renew my birth control prescription a few weeks ago, and so I have been off it for about a month. I forgot I had an ovarian cyst (at least that's what my doctor nonchalantly decided it was) that was very well controlled by BC. It's causing me excruciating pain as its flared up again in the absence of BC. I had to leave work early today and basically crawl to my car to drive myself home in a cold sweat.

I'm kind of worried it might actually be endometriosis, since my mother has that. And I have my new BC prescription all ready to go, but it's not like I can just...start taking it. I have to wait until Monday, to that makes sense with scheduling all my cycles from here on in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620 ... 630  Next