| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626 ... 636  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:31 pm 
Hail Seitan!

I can't stop refreshing twitter right now. Everything is insane. Now Anonymous has posted that the KKK is raising money for the officer that shot Mike Brown. The world is so ugly and awful. I just want to go to bed and stay there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:46 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
Thinking about you, vijita! I'm so relieved that everyone came out unharmed. If you're like me, be gentle with yourself for the next couple of days. Things like that lead me to being hyper vigilante and very, very jumpy.

ETA: Not to tell you what to do, of course. I guess I just wish I was there to have a cup of tea and long walk with you and make sure you're ok. Well, except for the bugs. I don't know if I could deal with that. ;)
All of this. I'm so glad you're safe, but I can only imagine how shaken up you must feel!

The news has really been getting to me for the past few months - it's just one horror show after another, and today the continuing situations in Gaza, Ukraine, and Ferguson, MO. (right here in the good ol' US of A) have me feeling depressed, anxious, and sort of hopelessly exhausted by and with the human race. I've always been a person who likes to be educated and stay informed, but I may have to declare some sort of temporary moratorium if I'm going to keep getting out of bed and accomplishing anything. :(

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

^ Yes, this. I just feel so helpless and I don't see how the worsening of my mental health will help anyone but at the same time it feels so wrong to "look the other way". I wish there was something I could do to help.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

VeganinBerlin wrote:
^ Yes, this. I just feel so helpless and I don't see how the worsening of my mental health will help anyone but at the same time it feels so wrong to "look the other way". I wish there was something I could do to help.

I went out for a beer with a friend tonight, and I couldn't help but say exactly this. What can I do? What can I do about Ferguson and these other places even further away? I just kind of want to go to MO and picket with everyone else and show support but, that's not feasible. It's so disheartening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is the first day all summer I haven't been stressed about a job, studying for a certification test or something else stressful. Not that I'm doing anything remotely interesting.

My mom is stomping around upset about something to do with a power washer she can't get to work, I think and wanting to wash the macaw cage. I don't know. I'm just staying out of her way and finally asked if there was something I could help with and she said just said, "what can YOU do?" Well, okay then.

This is why I don't offer to do things. There is no point. She doesn't ever want help with stuff because she has no patience for people who don't do things as competently and efficiently as she does.

I'm just going to stay in the room with the door closed all day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:22 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

In a few I'm going to tell my boss that my organization needs to not have an event in collaboration with an anti-gay church and if continues I'm quitting, so that's fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:57 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

VeganinBerlin wrote:

Hear, hear. My heart is so heavy and I am protecting myself by trying not to read the news. I just can't deal anymore. It's too much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 pm 
And you never will.

The hospice nurses just informed my family that my granny is in her final hours. They're not sure how long we have, but they said we should prepare ourselves. My mom said she had a lucid moment last night and said her goodbyes, so that's something. I've just already had such a long, terrible day and less than 3 hours of sleep last night, so now all I want to do is cry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

poopiebitch wrote:
The hospice nurses just informed my family that my granny is in her final hours. They're not sure how long we have, but they said we should prepare ourselves. My mom said she had a lucid moment last night and said her goodbyes, so that's something. I've just already had such a long, terrible day and less than 3 hours of sleep last night, so now all I want to do is cry.

I'm so sorry, bitchiepoo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

strawberryrock wrote:
In a few I'm going to tell my boss that my organization needs to not have an event in collaboration with an anti-gay church and if continues I'm quitting, so that's fun.
That's a very brave, amazing thing to do.
poopiebitch wrote:
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you, sweetie.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:52 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Desdemona wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Yeah. I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll buy you a drink for being awesome when I'm back if you like. <3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jordanpattern wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Yeah. I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll buy you a drink for being awesome when I'm back if you like. <3

I hope they listen to you, but if not, I am impressed by you holding to what's right. It's a lot easier said than done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:18 am 
Chip Strong

poopiebitch wrote:

So sorry to hear this Poopiebitch

strawberryrock wrote:

Good for you Strawberryrock. As Invictus said they may just listen, if not they are probably not the type of company you want to work for anyway.

π

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:39 am 
Chip Strong

I am finding it harder and harder not to drink and I feel exhausted all the time which makes me want to drink even more, I don't know what to do yet but haven't written out AA meetings. My family dont know anything about this but I guess I might have to tell them if it gets to that point

Also we had our first compulsory redundancy yesterday. Out of a selection of managers they chose to can the one who is also (by complete coincidence I'm sure :-/ ) the head of the union who is a decent person who fought loud and hard for other peoples rights. The world is such a shiitake place sometimes

π

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:03 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Poopiebitch: thinking of you and your family!

SRock: you're amazing; many wishes for strength.

Star: I've been reading a bit on overcoming bad habits. I may be off base, but from what I've been learning, sometimes you need to have something to fill that place that your habit has taken. So if you don't want to drink, have you added something into your life that fills that gap? I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions really. I guess it depends on why you drink. Relaxation? To make things a bit more bearable? Let your hair down and go a bit nuts? I know I went out for drinks after work and was not really wanting to because I haven't been drinking, but I got club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and lime, and I don't know. It was just good to blow off steam grousing with co-workers even if I wasn't drinking. I still felt socially awkward and like what I was saying was a bit dumb, but I'm hoping I learn to get over that without "social lubricant".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

poopiebitch wrote:

I am sorry this is happening. No matter how much we think we are prepared for someone dying when it happens it still hits as a shock.

keep warm

Anne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:01 am 
Chip Strong

ndpittman wrote:

Star: I've been reading a bit on overcoming bad habits. I may be off base, but from what I've been learning, sometimes you need to have something to fill that place that your habit has taken. So if you don't want to drink, have you added something into your life that fills that gap? I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions really. I guess it depends on why you drink. Relaxation? To make things a bit more bearable? Let your hair down and go a bit nuts? I know I went out for drinks after work and was not really wanting to because I haven't been drinking, but I got club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and lime, and I don't know. It was just good to blow off steam grousing with co-workers even if I wasn't drinking. I still felt socially awkward and like what I was saying was a bit dumb, but I'm hoping I learn to get over that without "social lubricant".

Thankyou, the drinking was to make things more bearable at home, I'll try finding something to do to take my mind off it. I was speaking with some alcoholics on FB who said the exhaustion is a sugar detox (booze is obviously full of sugar so when you drink every day your body gets used to it and when you stop it crashes). Apparently it does get better, I've made it 5 weeks so hopefully it will happen sometime soon. Sorry for moaning here, I feel like such a moron considering other peoples issues!

π

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:09 am 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry PB. Sending you lots of good thoughts and love today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:48 am 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
Poopiebitch: thinking of you and your family!

SRock: you're amazing; many wishes for strength.

Exchanging a new habit for an old one you want to break is very good advice. I remember when my dad quit smoking (after many years), he said that changing things up really helped, because people get so routinized. So, say someone has a cigarette in the kitchen with their first cup of coffee every day, maybe they should try drinking tea in the living room instead; or if you generally would have a drink when you first get home from work, go for a short walk or have a bath instead. It sounds ridiculously simple, but apparently it helps. Hang in there, and the best of luck to you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:54 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Star wrote:
I've made it 5 weeks so hopefully it will happen sometime soon. Sorry for moaning here, I feel like such a moron considering other peoples issues!

5 weeks is great! You're doing it! And coping with alcohol problems is a big huge issue and you should be damn proud of yourself for dealing with it and talking about it.
Yes you can!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:56 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

jordanpattern wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Toast to strawberry rock night?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

star, hang in there, you are by no means moaning, and feel free to PM me if you prefer to do it somewhere else. I have been in a similar position. i agree with panda, you can absolutely do this.

PB, i'm so sorry to hear about your gram.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:34 pm 
Chip Strong

Thank you everyone, you have all really helped :-)

I do feel somewhat better now - Torque thank you for the lovely offer, if I start to wobble again and need to talk I will PM you (its been a hard couple of days I think in part because I've been dreaming about drink)

I'm trying to think of the positive things I have - my baby niece, my health (even my liver is OK, the DB centre checked it last week). I will get through this.

π

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm honestly starting to think that I'm having the worst summer of my life. I had a horrible sinus infection about a month ago, which coincided perfectly with a friend visiting from overseas. Now I've just come down with the flu, and in 4 days my partner and I are supposed to board a plane to go visiting friends in another state. I've been looking forward to this trip for months but it looks like I may have to cancel it completely - and even if I could afford another ticket, there's basically no way to reschedule the trip. My partner already had to fight hard to get the time off, and I can't take time off from my job at all (I just happened to have that week off).

This trip was supposed to be a reward for a lot of hard work, and now it's most likely ruined, unless I magically get over the flu in 4 days (every previous time I've had the flu, it's lasted at least a week).

I'm not really a superstitious person but I can't help feeling a bit cursed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:38 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Star wrote:
Thankyou, the drinking was to make things more bearable at home, I'll try finding something to do to take my mind off it. I was speaking with some alcoholics on FB who said the exhaustion is a sugar detox (booze is obviously full of sugar so when you drink every day your body gets used to it and when you stop it crashes). Apparently it does get better, I've made it 5 weeks so hopefully it will happen sometime soon. Sorry for moaning here, I feel like such a moron considering other peoples issues!

My brother ate soooooooooooo many sweets when he went dry. It's a hard journey but you can do it, he's still doing well after 5 years. Has your doctor checked for any deficiencies associated with alcohol use? I think magnesium is one that can be low in regular drinkers. I find magnesium supplementation (for an unrelated condition) really helps with everything, from energy to sugar cravings to joint pain. I wish you all the best in your recovery xx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 620, 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626 ... 636  Next