| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me plan my Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory party!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:37 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I love getting party planning advice from the ppk. This looks like my last chance. I know it's early, but I don't know how long the forums will be here. Sooooooo, this year's new year's eve party theme will be Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Food, music, decoration, costume, and other suggestions are welcome. I am especially looking for ideas for savory foods that can be made to look like sweets. I've got: sandwich cake, mac n cheese donuts, ravioli pops, meatless ball pops, mashed potato cones, and bell pepper agar mold in mind so far. Thanks in advance for inspiration!

Post subject: Re: Help me plan my Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory party!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:41 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lickable wallpaper? oh, and you have to have a chocolate fountain. I know that's sweet, but still! so thematic!

I made tiny hamburgers out of cupcakes and brownies, but that's the opposite of what you're going for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:44 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I know, I keep googling how to make savories/veggies/ dinner etc. look like sweets/candy etc. and getting the opposite! So frustrating. I mean, I plan on serving lots of sweets, but I think there should be some real food available too so people don't get sick from eating nothing but sugar all night.
I have fondue pots, but I'm looking into borrowing a chocolate fountain. Lickable wallpaper is totally on my decoration list! I think the whole ppk needs to come to this party.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Trying to think of some ideas but it's not easy! How about if you make mini ribbon quiches (like this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vaSaDw_Mttw/V ... 4%2BAM.png ) with a swirl of miso / cashew cream on top, could it look like a cinnamon roll?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Oh my goodness, those are gorgeous aelle! Maybe I should add that any super colorful and whimsical looking foods are welcome. Those look very Willy Wonka to me!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:55 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

That ribbon quiche looks beautiful and party-ish. (I had never heard of ribbon quiche before.)

Could you make savoury cupcakes with cornbread and avocado frosting? Or hummus frosting? The idea is stolen from someone on the PPK who was annoyed at a parent trying to make a 'healthy' sweet cake with sweet hummus frosting (coloured with beet juice or spirulina I think), but properly savoury versions could be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Then I'm also thinking raw carrot slices cut into flowers, with dips. You could use carrots of different colors if you can find them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:47 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I want to come to this party!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:56 am 
Discovered unobtainium

You have the best parties. I have no ideas, but I want to crash your party.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If you have access to food dye you can make all kinds of pasta/breads maybe even seitan or tofu pastel and other unicorn candy colours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 am 
Naked Under Apron

B_A_D has a good idea. I have made "swirl bread" before, you roll out the dough, fill it, and roll it back up like a Swiss roll, then bake it in a loaf tin. You could make pestos to fill - a green basil one, a red tomato one, a purple beetroot one etc.

Or breadsticks that look like those twisted candy stick things - three doughs, a plain, one with mashed beets kneaded in, one with spinach/basil/etc in, rolled into ropes and twisted together. Then you get multicoloured breadsticks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:30 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Woah, I LOVE the swirly bread! I'm definitely making that!
GreenDuck, your cupcake idea is similar to the sandwich cake I'll be making. I'm going to slice a round loaf of bread horizontally, fill it with roasted veggies, shaved seitan, etc, and then "frost" and decorate it with veganaise and hummous.
Lutin, lavawtich, and everyone else, you are all more than welcome at my party if you can make it to the far north west suburbs of Chicago on NYE. I would love to have some PPKers show up! If you can't make it, I always post lots of pictures on FB, so you'll at least get to see the results.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:34 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

lentil loaf with mashed potato icing "cupcakes"

that's all I've got.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Does anyone think it's worth deconstructing the 3 course dinner gum and serving tomato soup, roast "beef", and blueberry pie?
What about serving Augustous Gloup's plate of sour kraut with sausages and potatoes?

I've got lots of paper mache toad stools to make for decorations. I'm going to try to get some plain brown boxes that I can paint the Wonka logo on and stack in corners.

I really want to dress up as Violet when she's turning violet, but I've learned the hard way that wearing a big costume is not conducive to hosting. I can't dart about answering the door, taking coats, getting drinks, checking on food in the oven, when I need a 3 foot clearance at all times. I might be Wonka. I mean I am hosting, and my spouse thinks he would make a bad Wonka.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I love the deconstructed gum idea, but can you really do all this?! i'm feeling stressed out just thinking about all this food you want to prep.

also, beet hummus might look like candy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:45 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

It's only the middle of October. I have a solid two months plus to make and freeze things. Also I'm not going to make everything that runs through here. I'm just running more ideas than I'll use right now. Also also, I have two weeks off work around party time to go into super gear. Also also also, I have some friends and family lined up to create for me! This is not my first spectacular party production. I've been doing this for years!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:04 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

You should absolutely dress as Willy Wonka after putting in all that work! This party sounds amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

The deconstructed gum- will it be the sort of party where the rest of the food is buffet style? At first I thought that would be odd but actually, if you could keep the soup and "roast beef" hot you could have it in its own area of a table, laid out as a progression, maybe with a gum packet in front and that could work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:29 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Moon wrote:
lentil loaf with mashed potato icing "cupcakes"

that's all I've got.

That's all I can think of too but I also like aelle's idea of cutting carrots into flowers. You can do the same with bell peppers too. And use food coloring to make the dip brightly colored?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:34 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

and maybe crackers that look like cookies? Like a ritz with thinned out cream cheese as the icing and then you can color a bit of cream cheese to pipe words. Ooh or it'll be really time consuming but you can shred/cut bell peppers and carrots into tiny little pieces like sprinkles (which would also be cute on the aforementioned cupcakes)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
It's only the middle of October. I have a solid two months plus to make and freeze things. Also I'm not going to make everything that runs through here. I'm just running more ideas than I'll use right now. Also also, I have two weeks off work around party time to go into super gear. Also also also, I have some friends and family lined up to create for me! This is not my first spectacular party production. I've been doing this for years!

I wish I lived closer to you. Also please please post the photos somewhere we can find them! Write a blog post it sounds so awesome.

I would eco making the vegan meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting, I would make maybe a garlic golden potato mash and a sweet potato Rosemary mash then pipe them swirl style with a pipping bag. You could top them with fresh thyme or a sage leaf or even dust them with nutmeg or cinnamon.

Beet hummus, edamame hummus, carrot or squash hummus, roasted red pepper hummus or other dip (artichoke!) could be naturally coloured options you could even make them each wildly different flavours like beet mint or edamame wasabi . They could be tubs of "frosting" or liquid candy near the crudites, you could build some kinda candy machine dispenser out of cardboard to cement the theme. Or you could (test for complimentary tastes!) layering the dips into a glass loaf pan or casserole dish (like 7 layer dip but more candy coloured) as taffy or something.

Also savory pies with a lattice or more sweet pie appearing crust. That gives you a lot of flexibility in the type, although vegan mince meat mini pies make good appetizers and kinda fit the theme. Or get weird with making savory style jellos and lollipops! I actually have an acient vegan cookbook that has lots of recipes for savory vegan flauns and other 70's era dinner jellos. Tofu666 did some tofu lollipops for a his annual parties, of course they were smoked (?) tofu just cut into circles on sticks.

You could make your own candies or rock candies, have a candy buffet for dessert?

I also like the deconstructed gum idea, because I assume this is a dinner party? or folks are expecting to have a meal yah?

Man I really want to go to this thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So I found some more ideas that seem to fit the theme.
Watermelon cake pops!
by Painted candy crowns they are red cake center with added chocolate chips for seeds.

You could also make a bunch of shortbread cookies on lollipop sticks and decorate them with swirled icing
And if you do get a chocolate fountain make it a chocolate river sign! Or maybe serve some kind of vegan hot chocolate with reference to the river?
Decor ideas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

You are all amazing! No, it's not a sit down dinner party. Food will be set out on several tables throughout the house with plates (and bowls if needed), napkins, and utensils. People will help themselves to whatever they want all night. But anyone who's been to one of my parties in the past knows to come with an empty stomach. I tend to make enough to eat that if we all got snowed in we'd survive at least a week.