| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Expat PPKers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:08 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I wonder if Canada has been wanting me to pay taxes this whole time I've lived down in the USofA? Gawd that would be annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I don't think so. the US is the only country I've heard of that overreaches that way. it's not terrrrribly uncommon for people renounce their US citizenship over things like that (when they have another passport and no intention of going back)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

the US also wants me to pay taxes on my Brazilian bank accounts and business, which is why I have colleagues who have gotten their citizenship here-- if the US comes after them they plan to just renounce (which is suprisingly difficult and costs more than getting visas and such, which i guess is not surprising).

This year I seem to be turning some kind of corner in terms of adjustment. Maybe just mental acknowledgement of staying here long-term. I have been meeting and keeping in touch with other long-term people, for a change, and it's really nice. I've also started getting involved in things that usually don't have foreigner involvement (urban agriculture, seed exchange), and it is refreshing. Right on cue too, as we're starting to hear the first anti-gringo rumblings pre-world cup, which I knew would happen, but it's still relatively rare for the time being.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:46 am 
WRETCHED

The US is pretty greedy and yup wants you to keep paying taxes, but I think they are the only country that does that? I guess you are paying for the privilege of being a US citizen... or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 am 

I still have to lodge in Australia, so Mars you should probably do that. but it's cool for me to say "yo, I'm overseas, so get bent". I imagine it's the same/similar for you too

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Empire is expensive. No wonder the US is so greedy. I think I would not mind such ridiculous almost-double-taxation if the money were going to education or health care. Instead, it goes to corporate subsidies, big ag and the DoD. Fork that. (torque: I also briefly looked into re-patriating. It sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth, especially since I have No Idea What I Will Do after my phd.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am planning on getting the brazilian passport, one of these years, but can't imagine actually renouncing the US one- something momentous would have to happen. i am the kind of person who likes having options, and closing that door seems unsafe, especially since it looks like the irish passport isn't going to work out (i am theoretically entitled to one through my grandmother but the logistics of doing that would require me dealing with my family, and frankly i'm done with that and would rather have no passports at all)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Exactly. Options = best, even if they come with terrible taxes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

torque wrote:
the US also wants me to pay taxes on my Brazilian bank accounts and business, which is why I have colleagues who have gotten their citizenship here-- if the US comes after them they plan to just renounce (which is suprisingly difficult and costs more than getting visas and such, which i guess is not surprising).

If I ever establish fiscal residency back in France, they'll want to tax my bank accounts abroad. Which could be a problem, because I haven't kept track at all of what dormant bank accounts I have and how much is on them. I think I still have one yen with Mizuho...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 pm 

but they'd only care about capital gains in that financial year though, right? so a dormant account isn't an issue. or does France have some weird rule about it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:57 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I heard and read that it's also possible to negotiate how much you actually pay of the taxes the USA wants you to pay?
http://taxes.about.com/od/taxdebts/ht/P ... Pay_IA.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

aelle wrote:
I think I still have one yen with Mizuho...

Ha, I think I have at least three open bank accounts in Japan with ten yen, and probably an outstanding tax bill from the last year. #arrestedinairport

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Next question, fellow expats: How did you find your current position? What worked or didn't on your way to it? I've been setting myself up for a career in academia, and now realize ... maybe I want something different. So I'm faced with two challenges: How do I find work? And how do I find work OUTSIDE of the US? Not sure where to even start, except it's a huge and gorgeous world, so surely something is possible!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

For Korea: I was sent there by a French company looking to expand their business to East Asia. So I found the job at home, but specifically looking for positions that would get me out of France. I worked on a local contract through the local branch, with a regular work visa.
For Germany: no visa issue here since I am a EU citizen. I just moved here and started looking for positions in my field the way I would have at home - job postings online, unsolicited applications, networking etc (networking is what worked).
All the jobs before that were officially called internships, which have much less stringent visa rules.

So yeah, your work visa / residency permit is your first and potentially biggest issue, depending on which countries you are looking at. Some are much more open than others; I hear getting a work visa in the EU is really difficult. Are you looking at staying here or going somewhere else entirely?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have 2 passports (US and EU), so staying here isn't a problem. EU would be nice. Canada and Oz are also ok.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i would think your eu passport would open a lot of doors for you. i think it really depends on your field- academia seems to be used to/have the structure to deal with int'l hiring, whereas other fields don't (i know someone who is a permanent resident of Chile, Chinese national, who was hired by a Brazilian orchestra, and despite Mercosul, which is supposed to clear up this mess, he can't seem to get his visa sorted).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm 

aelle wrote:
I hear getting a work visa in the EU is really difficult.

depends who you are and what you do!

if you're earning well, or you're "in demand", the blue card is a pretty open/free way into the EU. it's what I've got, and the hardest thing about it was getting a document from Australia over the christmas/summer break. other than that, it was stupidly easy - fill in the form, go to an interview, boom.

other than that, every country has their own visas/rules/conditions, but in general it's not terrrrribly difficult if you're even mildly determined! Germany has artist/freelance visas even, which are pretty trivial to get (considering!)

Quote:
Next question, fellow expats: How did you find your current position? What worked or didn't on your way to it?

(I'll reply to your email with more personal detail!)

generally, from pretty much everyone I know that's been in the position, the best thing you can do (if you can!) is to be in the city/town you want to live in and apply in person. remote candidates are so much harder to coordinate, so do what you can to make yourself available to meet.

for me, I hassle my networks (email, Twitter, etc) with pretty good success. I've met a lot of people at conferences and such from all corners of the globe, so someone always knows someone (that knows someone!) for whom I'd be a good fit. from there, it's the same ol' story - present yourself well (in CV form), write a warm and personalised intro/cover letter, and turn up the charm :) (you've met me - I'm not very "professional", but I'm sincere and I'm honest. that works for me!)

sometimes it takes a while, and sometimes it's frustrating, but I've come to accept "frustrated" as the status quo for most things expat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

More tax news for US expats: Now the government is employing other governments to report on you!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/non-us-re ... 44214.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:36 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

this goes even farther- non us citizens who have a SSN are expected to file too. Since we're not planning to move back, i haven't worried about it too much, but even though my husband can't come back to the US, he is expected to file taxes there (i guess if he ever wants to set foot there again). what the sam hell!

the other thing we this reporting is doing is making it so that no (foreign) bank wants a US citizen as a client. It is getting harder and harder.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I wonder what happens to duals like me who are registered on another passport. Sure as hell doesn't make any friends. Before this expat stuff I was not at all bitter about US taxes, and now all I have is stress and a sour taste in my mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hope this wasn't a terrible mistake: I just went to the municipality and asked to be registered on both passports. Initially they said no (because Dutch law allows only one nationality for Dutchies) but for foreigners they allow multiple passports. I think I am ok? but already worrying in the opposite way I worried before (that not being registered on both would somehow be terrible).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Can I grump about cars a little?

I'm getting really tired of not having one (we shipped our car, and it's on the way, but it's an American SUV that's going to stick out like a sore thumb in Europe and probably be broken into because Naples). What I'd like to buy is a used car, something small, European, nondescript. Big enough to fit a couple carseats in the back. Automatic transmission, and maybe 5 years old with, let's say <100k km on it.

Apparently, this is like asking for a rainbow colored unicorn, because as far as I can tell cars fall into a black hole between being brand new and being 15 year old beaters. and they're all manual with the lowest possible trim on them anyway. Ugh. Plus, overpriced - like twice blue book value, etc. I just SOLD a little 12 year old car, why would I want to buy another one for twice as much??? I'm not that picky about aesthetics and don't want something too flashy, but nor do I want to be broken down by the side of the road with a toddler. ARGH.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I hate to say that's been the case pretty much everywhere I've ever lived outside the US. we are so spoiled with our cheapo used cars there.

You need a Fiat! (I had a 1000cc Fiat Uno for 6 years, it was the best car I ever had. Not automatic though they just started making them auto here. Totally nondescript, which I was concerned about. Took a beating and kept smiling. I was sad when the old man told me he sold it while I was gone. I do like the new car though.... he bought me one of those little Nissans, here it's called a March, I think there too, it's not sold in the US. Small, small but rather peppy....)
I'm surprised to hear that in Europe it's hard to find automatics, they are just getting released here and I thought we were the last to get everything. They are almost impossible to fix here though, nobody works with them but the dealers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:54 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Is that because people are more likely to buy a new car and then drive it for 15 years? Where as in the US we buy them and drive them for three before getting the next shiny thing? I feel like I answered my own question?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:34 pm 
WRETCHED

What about seeing if someone in the military is selling? My parents sold their car before they came back from Germany to someone that worked at the base

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next