| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Expat PPKers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:17 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

lutin wrote:
Hope this wasn't a terrible mistake: I just went to the municipality and asked to be registered on both passports. Initially they said no (because Dutch law allows only one nationality for Dutchies) but for foreigners they allow multiple passports. I think I am ok? but already worrying in the opposite way I worried before (that not being registered on both would somehow be terrible).

You should be fine. I'm pretty sure that all they care about is that you're there legally, which you are. They're not going to give you trouble about two passports because they have no authority to in your case. It was probably not necessary, to register on both but I don't think you have to worry now that you have.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 am 
Nooch of Earl

Most of the ones we've seen ads for very locally (ie by the base) are via the military, and that seems like the best way to get an automatic but they're still way overpriced. (Yes, the easy solution might be to learn to drive stick, and if I were anywhere but southern Italy where there's so much other crazy driving stuff to get used to, I'd just do that.. but I figure I'll have my hands full just trying to adapt to the, er, unique local driving situation, no need to add more stress to that!)

This is basically the local (expat/military) resale situation: http://naplesallhands.com/items/2/autos-motorcycles/

We'd love a Fiat 500 or 500L, I think (so CUTE!), assuming my fairly tall husband would fit.. but I really don't want to be driving a new car around because I know I'll need to be zen about scrapes and dings. But all the used stuff out there just seems like it's at that age where everything will break and need replacing in short order. I know I'm a total diva here but I hate driving unreliable cars and spending as much money maintaining a car as it would cost just to buy a new one. Add to that my total befuddlement of how to go about even going to a local dealership or lot.

I asked my husband to talk to his Italian coworker for advice, so maybe that will help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:03 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lepelaar wrote:
lutin wrote:
Hope this wasn't a terrible mistake: I just went to the municipality and asked to be registered on both passports. Initially they said no (because Dutch law allows only one nationality for Dutchies) but for foreigners they allow multiple passports. I think I am ok? but already worrying in the opposite way I worried before (that not being registered on both would somehow be terrible).

You should be fine. I'm pretty sure that all they care about is that you're there legally, which you are. They're not going to give you trouble about two passports because they have no authority to in your case. It was probably not necessary, to register on both but I don't think you have to worry now that you have.

Yeah. The office says they have seen people who were registered on 4-5 passports simultaneously. So long as they're foreigners, they're fine. Yesterday they thought it was not necessary to register on both, but started the paperwork. After a scary email from my dad last night, I went back today to ask them to cancel that process (but ONLY if there were no consequences). The woman today thought I was silly for not registering on both since "born in USA => USA passport" but since they couldn't tell me which agencies receive the citizenship information, agreed to stop the process. MAN. I hate grey legal areas. I don't want to jeopardize either citizenship! And am scared that any choice I make in this situation is a bad one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

annak wrote:
if I were anywhere but southern Italy where there's so much other crazy driving stuff to get used to, I'd just do that.. but I figure I'll have my hands full just trying to adapt to the, er, unique local driving situation, no need to add more stress to that!)

that is really true. when i was driving in japan (on the "wrong" side *and* relearning stick) i didn't feel like i really needed to focus to (literally?) "keep up" with the driving differences. But here, it took me a few months to get used to it, it is that different. It's really more like riding a motorcycle even when you're in the car. Plus the security situation, and you really were sort of all ears and antennae the first few months, so I can hear what you're saying.

The 500 is actually really roomy inside, for what it is (like the Mini or the new Beetle), but i don't think you'll find one that is more than two or three years old.
I heard a good explanation of why used cars maintain a high value in the developing world (basically it boils down to fear of inflation); I assume the automaking culture + gasoline lobby etc in the US encourage more carbuying and turnover? (cuz i'm a tinfoil hat kind of person). Still, even accounting for the exchange rate, those prices look pretty good. My husband just sold a 1984 Fiat Uno (the shittiest shitbox Fiat makes, maybe) for BRL$6000, which is about 7 times the monthly minimum wage and maybe US$2500. If we were in the US we couldn't give that car away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Mars wrote:
Is that because people are more likely to buy a new car and then drive it for 15 years? Where as in the US we buy them and drive them for three before getting the next shiny thing? I feel like I answered my own question?

I can't speak for Italy specific, but I doubt that's the case. It could be that annak is looking in the wrong places for a car?

Small cars often retain their value for a longer time because their monthly costs are lower and thus often more popular than bigger cars.

In the Netherlands you will pay road tax by weight, and liability insurance also uses weight in the calculation of the price of coverage. The price of petrol is almost twice of that in the U.S, and smaller cars often use less fuel, so that adds to popularity.

Automatics can be hard to find because it's almost always an extra option, and not a lot of people want to pay an extra thousand on a new car for an automatic. Plus automatics often have a slightly higher fuel consumption.

I assume the couple of years old cars will be available through the brand-dealers, and perhaps 5-6 years older through non-brand garages.
I think it would be best to find an Italian "craigslist/ebay" site that will hopefully have options to search on type of gearbox, or search with what ever the word is for automatic gearbox in Italian.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've tried the auction type sites, and there's actually some promising stuff, but mostly it's in different parts of Italy (usually wealthier, honestly, up by Milan or Torino etc..).. and plus they tend to be listings from dealerships that may or may not reflect actual current stock. Probably we'll either need to settle (the 5 year old Fiat Punto on the local sales site might actually work!) or visit some dealerships, but with the language barrier the prospect is a little exhausting. I'm tempted to look into seeing if we could drive up to Holland and buy something there, where at least we can understand what we're signing, but then I'd have to look into all the import laws and that's daunting too (apparently to buy a car in Italy you need to prove ties to the country, and that might be the case elsewhere as well).

Anyway it's just one of many getting settled issues that makes moving to another country fun. I'm just feeling whiny, and trapped on the American base, and can't wait to have a home and a means of getting around and all. If the transit system were usable here it would be one thing, but with all the transfers it's an hour and a half to go anywhere near the city. Feh!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:27 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

And don't forget the quite high tax you need to pay whenever you buy a second hand car in Italy, in order to register it under your name... one more reason why the second hand market is much less active than in other countries.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm not sure how the tax situation works in our case (military). We might or might not have to pay that.

At least we're making progress with the housing front. We signed a pre-contract on a lease, which basically means that if they pass the inspection and meet all our terms we're on the hook to sign a lease. So yay! But the frustrating thing is how long every single step of this process has taken. It takes days to get an open appointment with the housing office and they won't make an appointment for the next step until the previous one is all complete. It's very frustrating! So now we're waiting for the home inspection on Thursday, then we'll make an appointment for an actual lease signing, then I think the move in date is sometime after that? ASAP I hope!! I want OUT of this stinking hotel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9