| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1040 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:54 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

LW, what about adding some layers, a side-part and a faceframe/side bang?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always ask my stylist for suggestions when I don't know what to do. What about adding some long layers or a side part? Blonde highlights will fade eventually but they would be more dramatic in darker hair.

lavawitch wrote:
I have an appointment at the Aveda salon tomorrow. It's been at least 6 months since I've had my hair cut.

The thing is, I'm so unhappy with my hair now and I don't know what to do. I'm not emotionally strong enough right now for big change (that sounds dumb). I used to have the most gorgeous shampoo ad hair. Strangers used to stop me daily to gush about my hair. It was almost waist long, super thick, and really, really shiny. I hid behind all that hair for all the ears I was fat and felt like crepe. I'm still not past all that.

But, after 3 surgeries (anesthesia turned my hair to straw) and chronic anemia that I can't seem to shake, my hair is pretty thin, and I feel like I am losing more lately. I just wear it parted in the middle and straight, which is so boring. It's about middle back length now, which is probably about where I want it.

Any ideas what I can do to shake it up a bit without giving myself palpitations? I'd like to feel better about myself. I'm hopeless at styling--I just wash it and go to work and it air dries during my 90 minute commute.

I'm not sure about color or highlights. I'd love to, but probably really can't spend that much money and I'm not sure about the Aveda color. When my mom had it done there, it seemed to fade quickly, even with color safe shampoo that they recommended. Is that typical or just because she is blond and the highlights just faded in?

Ugh. Am I just going to leave with the same haircut I've had for the last 30 years?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I will ask the stylist, but I don't know who it will be, and I'd rather not leave decision making until then.

Here are some photos I just took (I dressed up for you guys!). It looks better than usual because my mom gave me the whole Aveda smooth line for Christmas, including styling products and I blow dried it last night instead of ignoring it. I have some layers in front, but the last stylist ($15 place) did a bad job and they aren't even.

One thing I forgot to add is that the hair on top is better than the rest, but its really short because its new growth, so it can tend to give me "devil horns" if I'm not careful.

Here it is up:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Do side bangs require any styling upkeep? Any photos of what you mean?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Do side bangs require any styling upkeep? Any photos of what you mean?

I was thinking of long, side swept bangs. I will look at hair pictures for you! Only for you! (I have baby fine hair that will never, ever grow that long. Your hair looks lovely to me.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't find pictures of someone I actually like but here one. They seem to be long enough that you could still pull them back if you were having a "I don't wanna mess with my hair day."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm browsing, but I'm so bad at imagining possibilities. I do have to be careful with layers though because I've got three different textures in my hair right now from the anesthesia and regrowth.

I think it would be awesome to have Katy Perry blue-purple-black Veronica Lake hair.

(j-dub, nosy, unsolicited advice: start taking folic acid to help counteract the anesthesia crepe effect on your hair. My nutritionist also said at the time that boosting protein intake slightly could help too.)

Last edited by lavawitch on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Lavawitch, your hair is gorgeous. I agree with the suggestion of side bangs. They are much less of a commitment than blunt straight across bangs, and if they aren't for you they'll grow out into long front layers relatively fast.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

sisterlegume wrote:
Lavawitch, your hair is gorgeous. I agree with the suggestion of side bangs. They are much less of a commitment than blunt straight across bangs, and if they aren't for you they'll grow out into long front layers relatively fast.

That makes me feel a bit braver!

Thanks--I think the Aveda smoothing gel stuff really works! Usually you can really see where the texture changes are in my hair. Of corse, I don't need hooked on another Aveda product since I'm trying to find shampoo replacement because of the China/testing thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vantine wrote:

I can't find pictures of someone I actually like but here one. They seem to be long enough that you could still pull them back if you were having a "I don't wanna mess with my hair day."

Hah. I was just looking at the same photo and thinking the same thing!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:40 pm 

The great thing about side bangs is you can get them quite short (I usually go a little longer than eyebrow length) then just let them grow out until you get your hair cut and it'll look good the whole time. Or you can get them trimmed if you love them short!

And thanks, I will make sure to get some folic acid tomorrow.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Great minds and all that.

lavawitch wrote:
Vantine wrote:

Hah. I was just looking at the same photo and thinking the same thing!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I've got until 4 tomorrow to mull all this over. Thanks for the ideas!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Okay. Decision. My mom steered me away from the cut idea on the grounds that I'm bad with hair cuts.

So, I'll talk to the stylist and I think what I'll do is some long layers in front for shape and then go dark, burgundy red! I examined my bank account, and realized that not having to buy gas to get to work for nearly two weeks means I can afford this! Damn, that $15/day adds up.

I'm excited! My mom worries that I'll look to goth, but I'm ok with looking like a vampire. I'll only prey on kids who don't do their homework.

Worst case, I'll scrounge up another $100 next month and get it toned down or fixed with boring brown, right?

I never do anything remotely adventurous. I'm. It sure this counts, but, baby steps.

Am I nuts?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 pm 

What do you mean "bad with cuts"?

And I think it sounds like a great plan!

Just a word of caution, so you know what you're getting yourself into: if you don't like it your only real option without forking over hundreds of dollars will be to go darker. If that's cool for you then go for it!

I think it'll look great, though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Im just so stagnant and fearful with hair changes.

Yeah, darker wouldn't be the end of the world. I'll ask about how to do it so it fades gracefully. I definitely don't want a subtle change. But I probably don't want super dark hair over the summer either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love the color in the very last photo: http://www.avedageorgetown.com/blog/201 ... nter-2012/

Any other pitfalls? Would I be getting full highlights? They have one-step color, mini, partial, and full. Very confusing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Lavawitch, I love your hair, too! If you want color but no worries about upkeep, you could henna it with your family's (Mom's?) help....regular henna would put a burgundy glaze in there for you, I think, or if you wanted it darker, you could do indigo powder. Both are permanent (at least I know henna is for sure!) amd grows out nicely, no or minimal roots. The smell of henna is very calming, too, and it is a process during whicjh, if one wishes, one could grab a nap! I think you can also but boxed combination/henna/indigo colours, for darker AND red. Good luck! Show us whatever you do decide!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:01 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LW, your current hair color is beautiful and suits you well. But if you want a color change, those reds you posted are pretty. I've had side sweep bangs in the past and loved them. They were no work at all, and I think they are flattering on almost all faces. I'm thinking of getting them again soon. You are so pretty, I'm sure you will look great no matter what you do with your hair!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:40 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

LW, my hair is very similar in terms of length and colour to yours. I was terrified for decades of hair change, and would make a big production of going to get a cut/style, and then I'd freak out, get two inches trimmed, and leave in tears because it felt like too big a change. About five years ago, a friend who is a stylist prodded me into getting layers. It's changed my hair life, and I've never turned back. It's the best way to experience the fun of hair changing, but you can still keep the length. I've been playing with long side bangs and long face-framing layers, and I can see now how much more flattering it is. It'll look so great on your face, and the thing that's weird is with the long layers you actually look like you have *more* hair, not less, because it gets rid of a lot of the dead weight and the hair becomes swingy and flowy again. And then when you put it up, fun little bits pop out and it feels more like having a hairstyle instead of a big head of hair.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm here now. I'm doing this. Stylist seems awesome. I'm excited!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:05 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

It's all the rage in Paris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Can I yell? I LOVE IT! ITS AWESOME!

The red/purples aren't showing up because the lighting in here is awful, but its so pretty. She basically figured out exactly what I wanted. The stylist was vegan too!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:07 pm 
Impressive boner

Looks gorgeous LW!

I'm pursuing a Brody Dalle style mohawk.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks! I'm glad I took the plunge and splurged. The bad part is that sitting so long has my back in critical agony now, so I might not race to do it again--it took almost 4 hours!

But who knows, Im so happy and thrilled. My dad made an Elvira joke though and my mom said it makes me look even paler before coming around to saying she likes it. I'm not sure why pale is bad anyway.

We didn't do much with layering because she said it could go too unruly with my different hair textures right now, so she actually recommended sticking with simple for now. Maybe when I go again in the summer, we will see.

Thanks for the ideas and support that helped push me into a much needed change. Really, it's more of a change than it seems from the photo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1040 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next