| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

is it a compliment that people think the white/light blonde streak in my hair is real? for the most part i have a lot of grey there (started in my late teens). I got a few compliments or so I think from random people this weekend, one guy asking if my hair is really grey in that area.

i am 34 - does this mean i look 'old' or something? or is the grey hair trend still around?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am 
And you never will.

I don't know! I have a prominent grey/white streak in the front (natural) along with lots of grey mixed in all over, and people comment on it all the time (and even ask if it's natural), but I can't tell if they're just intrigued that I haven't colored it or if they really think it's cool or whatever. For what it's worth, I'm 33 and I've had the streak since I was 16 (but I colored it for a few years in there).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm 30 and I've had a white streak in the front of my hair for a a few years. I get a few people mentioning it but it's never in a bad "you look old" way, or at least I don't think it is!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:26 pm 
And you never will.

Yeah, I honestly think it's just that we're in a society that has told women for decades to cover their greys and "grow old gracefully" (which is code for do everything you can to not show your age), so people notice anyone who doesn't follow that norm. I've even had people ask me why I made the choice to not color over my greys, and even though for me it was a choice that I made to stop coloring, it struck me as such a backward question - like I should have to explain why my hair is the color it comes out of my head as. So weird.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 pm 
And you never will.

And all this talk reminded me of the one time I walked out of a salon before letting the stylist touch my hair. I sat down and she asked what I wanted, and after I told her about the cut she said "and the color?", and I said "what about it?", and she said something like "well, obviously we want to cover all these greys" and I was like "....uh..." and she was like "you're too young to have grey hair, it doesn't suit you" and I just sad there dumbfounded, until my shock turned to burning rage and I just stood up and said "goodbye" and walked out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:59 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

my boyfriend pointed out my grey in my white streak last month and asked if i did not care about grey. i kinda do - kinda don't. i do when people point it out and don't on a daily bases. i color my whole head of hair though. i have blackish hair, do not care for it. so i go for a medium brown with my front/bangs bleached.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't dye my hair to cover the grey- I color it because I like unnaturally colored air. That breaks age norms in it's own way because I'm in my 40s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:53 pm 
And you never will.

blondiefk wrote:
I don't dye my hair to cover the grey- I color it because I like unnaturally colored air. That breaks age norms in it's own way because I'm in my 40s.

Do you get a lot of people commenting on your hair (which I LOVE, by the way)? I would think you would, because it seems like people (at least around here) think that things like tattoos or pink hair or something else considered "extreme" is an invitation for comments and questions. I'm kind of curious whether people who have had unnaturally colored hair at different ages have noticed a difference in the way people react to it over time? You don't have to answer that of course, blondie! Just generally pondering.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes, I get a lot of comments, almost always positive. I had one person tell me I was too old to dress the way I do (I assume he meant my hair and piercings since I wasn't wearing anything particularly youthful - jeans tshirt and cardigan). I just feel self conscious because it is something younger people do. I only have a nose ring now and a bunch of earrings now so maybe I wouldn't have gotten such a comment now? I used to have a bunch of facial piercings too (snake bites and a Marilyn).

Thank you for the compliment, PB.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:13 pm 

i'm pretty sure i said this before in this thread already, but i can't wait until i'm all silver. even if i don't stop the henna at that point, because they're so shiny, and the henna is so brilliant on those strands. so lovely!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i love the gray streaks that some people get. its so styling and awesome. my grey is super pervasive but not really visible to anyone but me because my hair is so light (and thus annoying and dopey, unlike some striking streak). that's really why i henna it, because i don't like to see it. judging from my mom i'll never be all silver (it will stay looking blond but just get more and more gnarly white hairs), so i'm glad i like henna!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:31 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

blondiefk wrote:

That is my reason to. Even though I have not done pink or purple in a long time - the two toned thing is my style. I wear all black, have tattoos, have two toned hair...For the most part people compliment my hair, I just found it odd that recently I went whiter with my streak & I get comments from older men at random places.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I have to get some pics up. My hair is about shoulder length now. I was getting it cut short in NH but in NC I can't get a good short cut to save my life, and I know, I've tried like 6 different stylists. But I hate having longer hair - it bugs me, and putting it back makes me migraine-y. But it looks better long! But I don't like it! Aaaah. Haircut in 24 1/2 hours.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

appifanie, you are too funny (and i hear you on every word). I got my hair cut on new year's eve and it's still okay, but making me kind of insane. but it looks good long, and i love putting it up and wearing my glasses.... except then it makes me look old and my face look thin... i want to grow it! i want to cut it! luckily (?) my stylist disappeared while i was gone, and i really just don't think i am up to finding a new salon, so the choice is made, i'm growing it out. it's not quiiiiiiite long enough to pull back now unless i do two little pigtails in the back, but soon enough it will be... in the meantime, i am going to buy barrettes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I picked up Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Balancing Conditioner the other day. i've used it once so far and it seems ok, not especially hydrating. I had almost bought the yes to carrot conditioner, is that any good?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I buy a different shampoo every time I run out. Is there anything that you guys espeically liked? I was on a jason tea tree kick for a while, but my scalp seems healthy now so I can probably use something that smells a little bit nicer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 pm 

Can anyone point me in the direction of decent hair goop? Something soft and mouldable with decent hold for when my hair gets too long. (Too long for me is still pretty short).

I've been hoping to find a cheap store brand SOMETHING in my area, but no dice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:33 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

fupapack wrote:
I buy a different shampoo every time I run out. Is there anything that you guys espeically liked? I was on a jason tea tree kick for a while, but my scalp seems healthy now so I can probably use something that smells a little bit nicer.

no 4. is awesome. a bit pricey - but after sampling it in a spa gift bag - i <3 it! for tea tree giovani but no matter what it stings my eyes!

Moon wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of decent hair goop? Something soft and mouldable with decent hold for when my hair gets too long. (Too long for me is still pretty short).

my boyfriend uses dirt from lush - he likes it. most 'goop' contains beeswax. :/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:24 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

So, I have no idea what to with my hair - never have, actually - and it's becoming irritating. It's technically curly and ginger, but it frizzes up no matter the weather. Plus, it doesn't seem to understand what gravity means: it lies at right angles much of the time, and two curls at the top of my forehead form a square frame across my head. 'Tis weird.

I've tried conditioners from Lush, Faith in Nature, Superdrug and Tara Smith. I've tried nut oil. Tried not washing it, tried washing it. Admittedly haven't tried a professional stylist because I fear them (and I've got a streak going - 30 years old and never been to a hairdresser...yeah, I have weird sources of pride).

So PPK hair gurus...any advice, pretty please? :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm 
And you never will.

Is there any way you could post a picture of your hair? Sounds a lot curlier than mine (which is sort of in-between curly and wavy), but I've had great luck with a good cut by a stylist who understands curly hair, and using DevaCurl products.

Most conditioners have silicones in them, which coat your hair and require sulfates to remove them, which in turn dry out curly hair and can contribute to frizz. You might try avoiding using any conditioners with "-cones" in it, and any shampoos with sulfates (although you'll need to use it one last time to strip the silicones). I also learned that I was using way too little conditioner, and if you do switch to a silicone-free one it can be helpful to leave some in (or buy a dedicated leave-in, but I'm too lazy for that), to help moisturize and avoid frizz.

Once I switched shampoo and conditioner, and learned how to gel properly (with a good gel), my hair and curl quality improved significantly after about 8 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:51 pm 

how long did your "not washing it" phase last? (and did you do any no 'poo stuff during that time?)

if you stopped washing it for too short of a time, the benefits wouldn't have appeared. (especially as poopie says, if you were using a silicone conditioner/product, and didn't strip that away before going forward.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The best hair routine I've come up with to fight frizz is to use a light oil, then scrunch in something pomade-y but made for curls, and plop it on my head in a turbie twist (microfiber hair towel). I leave it in the towel as long as I can, preferably at least half an hour. Then I air dry the rest of the way. Curly hair is all different though!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:41 pm 
Impressive boner

I need this hairstyle:

Got some growing to do!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

8ball wrote:
I need this hairstyle:

Got some growing to do!

Oh hell yeah!

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:45 pm 

what, no light blue pony body? ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next