| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I used henna for years! I loved it everyone thought I was a natural redhead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

fupapack wrote:

I'm so tempted, but I have commitment issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

do it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think I might want to do something like this next but I'm afraid it would look weird with my face and I'd just wear hats all the time till it grew out.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

dewet! you won't know unless you try it. i've tried pretty much every haircut ever and have never regretted even if it was not "flattering"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Dandelion wrote:
fupapack wrote:

Henna is the greatest thing ever. I totally recommend it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

kilgore, that would look so awesome on you! IMO, short hair is gorgeous and accentuates the delicateness of facial features. Don't listen to FootFace if he decides to chime in, he's a hater.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

kilgore, i love your haircut on the previous page of this thread, but that shortshort hair pic is so hot! go for it! even if you don't find it flattering (unlikely, you'll probably be super cute) it will grow out to the length it is now in no time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

also, boober, i like the buns. i was mostly joking but i actually think it is a good look on you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

out of conditioner
look like hermione granger: year one

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got my haircut last night. I asked him to cut it just above shoulder length. It's a good two inches above my shoulder. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, just a thing. I'll post pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

You have to lie to the person cutting your hair if you want to get the length you want. I don't know what it is with those hair cutting people, but if you say "only take off one inch." they will take off two. If you say cut it to just below my shoulders they will cut it to just above. Maybe they don't know that wet hair is longer than dry hair and it will shrink up a bit from where they cut it after it dries, or they all think shorter is always better than longer, or they are just pure evil. But they all always cut it shorter than what I say. So you have to learn to speak their warped language and adjust your request accordingly. The only person who I can trust to actually cut off as much hair as I say is my mom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh wow, Rhizopus Oligosporus, my current hair stylist is just the opposite. I have to tell her, "no, keep cutting, it's okay, I really want it that short!" - but now that I have learned to efficiently communicate with her (and sometimes bring pictures), the results are awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:57 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My hair has been growing out for ages. Last year, my sister and I were feeling restless with our hair, and went to a cheap place to get ours cut (we both wanted bangs), I think a Supercuts or something similar. My sister's hair was longer than mine, and she had some sections of it dyed blue.
The ladies who cut our hair were so weird. Mine kept saying how pretty my eyes were and how I should get rid of my glasses (backhanded complement?) and I would look so much better. I love wearing glasses.
And my sister requested that her hair not be cut shorter than mine. The hairdresser took kit upon herself to cut all of the blue out of her hair. Also, they sent us on our way without bothering to dry our hair, so we couldn't see what we looked like.
Finding a reliable, affordable place to get my hair cut is a never ending quest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Dandelion, if you do henna, it has to grow out. It cannot be dyed over. if thats ok for you, do it. my henna is down to my bra strap, but luckily my "real" colour is kinda reddish, so it doesnt show too much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have just gone back to henna (after maybe 6 years letting it get back to my natural blond, which i don't like too much.).
i made the first one a glaze, really, just really light, and it is just a tinge of red. i will probably do it again darker one of these days but it doesn't have to be super-orange immediately if you're careful. (unlike my nails, which i also henna'd, and are rather orange indeed.)

i was going to cut my hair and flaked. i wish i had the bone structure to do a short cut but i don't, and i haven't found anything that i like yet that doesn't make me look like a guy. (long face, strong nose)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just found out that the wonderful gal who has been cutting my hair for 3 years is leaving the (awesome all vegan) salon she's at now for a new (more expensive, super fancy, non-vegan) salon!

I want to stick with her because she's so nice and very talented, but I really don't want to spend my money at this new place. The idea of trying to find a new stylist fills me with dread, esp. since I just started cutting my hair very short and it's impossible to hide a bad cut at this length.

Better to support an all-vegan business or a talented vegan at a non-vegan business?
Your thoughts and experiences please!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:35 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I'd stick with her. It's so hard to find a hairstylist you like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

IsaChandra wrote:

yeah, you should definitely stick with her! I've had vegan stylists before, but never been to an all vegan salon. Maybe you'll get haircuts less frequently, but it's totally worth it to pay more for someone you like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

kilgore trout wrote:
I think I might want to do something like this next but I'm afraid it would look weird with my face and I'd just wear hats all the time till it grew out.

That's what I wish my hair looked like. It's about that short, but doesn't look that pretty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ijustdiedinside wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

yeah, you should definitely stick with her! I've had vegan stylists before, but never been to an all vegan salon. Maybe you'll get haircuts less frequently, but it's totally worth it to pay more for someone you like.

Totally agree, good hair stylists are like gold. I actually grew my hair long because I couldn't find another stylist who did as good a job on short hair as my guy I used for years, after I moved to a different continent.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:47 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Dandelion wrote:
fupapack wrote:

just know that your curls will probably start to get looser.

my hair is somewhat curly, and the combination of henna and ACV makes it pretty darn loose. (not a huge deal, since i always wear it in a bun, but just so you're prepared for it. you can reset some of the curliness by allowing the BS to "scrub" the length.) also, avoiding henna'ing the length once it reaches the color saturation you're happy with will help too. i like really dark maroon, so i'll henna my full length once or twice a year. i hadn't taken pics of my hair in a while, but i was taking pics for my no 'poo journey http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... rrot/hair/ maybe i'll make a 6-year follow-up. :-)

i had to cut a few inches off when it got too long to brush. (i was also frustrated because it wasn't all that smooth/easy to detangle, since i had temporarily been using JASON dandruff shampoo, unsuccessfully might i add) and it had been 2 years since i switched out the ACV for a citric acid rinse. it's just below my butt crease now. (it was almost to "classic" length when frustration kicked in. let's see how long it can get now that i'm back to what makes my hair happy.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:59 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

So I have a question for you guys with short hair (like pixie cut length). How much work does it take to style it?

I'd love to get something like Ginnifer Goodwin's:
Spoiler: show
But I'm worried it would take way more time to style it than I'd be willing to do. My hair is currently down to the center of my back. It's very thick and in between curly and wavy, and I can currently get away with just air drying and having it look decent. If I used a bit of product and towel drying, could I do that with a cut like the the ones above? Aside from taking way too long to blow dry, I prefer not to heat style my hair except for special occasions to prevent damage. I imagine with a cut like that though, it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to dry, but I'd still be nervous about damage.

If any of you guys have any advice it'd be much appreciated :)

(Note: I put the pictures in a spoiler tag because they're a bit big and I didn't want them taking up a ton of room)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Simply_Love wrote:
So I have a question for you guys with short hair (like pixie cut length). How much work does it take to style it?

I have super short hair like that and I pretty much don't style it. I wash it and comb it into place with my fingers and that's it. I've had really long hair, too, and short is definitely less work. Way less. The only thing is that you have to get it cut a lot more frequently.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Simply_Love wrote:

I just got my hair cut in a similar style to the second photo.
It takes no time at all to style it. Less than 5 minutes. I do use a hair dryer though.
I start with damp hair, put in a little product (texturizing cream) depending on how clean my hair it. Then I blow dry it, brushing the hair into place with my fingers. If it's a little fuzzy, or my bangs aren't behaving, I put a little more product in it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next