| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yeah I'm another pixied lady and I love how quick it is. A little product (I use a backcombing powder and a texturizing paste), some handsmooshing and I'm good to go. And I can go several days without washing and it just gets better and better. It's great!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks guys! I feel sort of silly now for thinking it would take so long to style. Most of my guy friends have hair about that long, and I know they don't spend anytime on it aside from washing. The second photo is what I'm leaning towards, and I found another picture of her pixie that was a bit shorter I like even more. Now I just need to actually get up the courage to go get it, haha. I'm thinking of waiting till summer break.

j-dub: I'm so happy to hear you can go a few days without washing it! I only was my hair 3 times a week now, so that was also something I was worried about.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My hair's pretty short and it doesn't take too too long to style. I have a really obnoxious cowlick on one side that I need to pin down while it's drying, but other than that it just takes a little pomade and I'm set. You should go for it!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I'm pretty annoyed with how my hair at the moment, but I recently purchased a couple colors of hair dye...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

supercarrot wrote:
Dandelion wrote:
fupapack wrote:
I used henna for years! I loved it everyone thought I was a natural redhead.

I'm so tempted, but I have commitment issues.

just know that your curls will probably start to get looser.

my hair is somewhat curly, and the combination of henna and ACV makes it pretty darn loose. (not a huge deal, since i always wear it in a bun, but just so you're prepared for it. you can reset some of the curliness by allowing the BS to "scrub" the length.) also, avoiding henna'ing the length once it reaches the color saturation you're happy with will help too. i like really dark maroon, so i'll henna my full length once or twice a year. i hadn't taken pics of my hair in a while, but i was taking pics for my no 'poo journey http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... rrot/hair/ maybe i'll make a 6-year follow-up. :-)

i had to cut a few inches off when it got too long to brush. (i was also frustrated because it wasn't all that smooth/easy to detangle, since i had temporarily been using JASON dandruff shampoo, unsuccessfully might i add) and it had been 2 years since i switched out the ACV for a citric acid rinse. it's just below my butt crease now. (it was almost to "classic" length when frustration kicked in. let's see how long it can get now that i'm back to what makes my hair happy.)

I am glad someone else gives as much thought to these things as I do! I think I'm going to stick with my natural color. The no-pooing is going really, really well and I'm super happy and don't want to push it. My curls have softened just a smidge, but actually in kind of a good way. I'm a bit worried because as I get older my hair keeps getting less curly (I should dig up a middle school pic, ha). Plus side, I think not having conditioner residue in my hair/calendula rinse has made my hair sort of glowy and bright (my roommate said that not knowing I'd changed anything). It's also super soft now but less frizzy. I'm in love, basically.
Thank you for the tips though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't cut my hair in, like, a year, but I think it's time to do so. I'm reeeeally low maintenance with my hair, meaning I wash it maybe 3 times a week and don't put a single hair styling product in it afterwards, or straighten, or blow-dry it. I barely even spend any time brushing my hair!

I've tried a medium length bob on multiple occasions (like this or a longer version of what Katie Holmes had) and it just didn't work. I think my stylist said that I have a low hairline on the back of my neck, and it just made my hair look awkward. Because it was short it got messed up very easily, so I would have to wash it daily and straighten it or else it'd look weird, bumpy in the back, and wavy (though I'd say my hair is naturally straight). My face is also very round and wide, which you can't tell from my pictures, and with shortish/medium hair I can't hide that. So in other words I don't want a haircut anywhere above my shoulders.

I've also tried full-on bangs before and they looked stringy/thin and were too hard to style how I wanted. I think I like my side bangs. :)

I'm wondering if I should layer my hair or just cut it bluntly at the bottom... And how much I should cut off.

What my bangs look like after a day of not washing. Sometimes I literally just wash my bangs over the sink so they don't get too oily. Any tips on dealing with oily hair other than using shampoo are welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thanks guys, i spent an hour last night before bed looking at the short hairstyles page. i was ALMOST talked out of cutting it and now i am not so sure. they are cute and i am so tired of just wearing it up all the time.

my hair is now about bra-strap length, in really great shape, but i haven't had short hair in a long time- when i was in middle school, and it was UGLY. since then my hair has changed texture so it's no longer baby-fine, and my face has changed from being chubby-cheeked to leaner. but, i am not sure i really have a natural part anymore and am not sure how it will behave if i cut it short. i need to go pay $200 for someone who really knows what they're doing to give me an amazing cut, but i am afraid they'll screw it up. not many women here with short hair. i need to start asking people where they cut their hair.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 am 
Saggy Butt

This is from a little over a month ago, when I cut almost a foot of my hair off (it had been halfway down my back for almost a year). It feels good to have it shorter now.
hair by dharmalily, on Flickr

Now I'm seriously considering dying my hair red, which I've wanted to do for years and haven't gotten around to. This is pretty much the exact color I would want:

Think I can pull that color off?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

..........and, my mother just emailed me to say she thinks she's going to get an Ellen Degeneres haircut. Personally I was thinking more Sue Sylvester for myself. We are so much alike it's funny.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

KarmaLily - Do it!!! I think it would go great with the colour of your eyes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

@Queenofpainting: Your hair is gorgeous, I think it would look really good right below the collarbone or maybe a bit longer. You could maybe put some layers, but I don't even think you need it.
And KarmaLily that color is really great, I've dyed my hair similar colors before and it was so fun!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've decided to cut off my hair. It's about the middle of my back right now. It's medium brown, super thick, and extremely heavy and I'm tired of trying to make it work with a helmet when I ride my bike and of it falling out of a bun when I'm at work (I work with food). Anyone know of cute, easy maintenance short hairstyles? I don't do anything to my hair right now. And I mean anything - I don't even own a brush. I've never had shorter hair so I'm not sure what cuts need styling and whatnot.

I was thinking of something like this:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Phoenix wrote:
KarmaLily - Do it!!! I think it would go great with the colour of your eyes!

seconded! such a pretty color.
add me to the camp of people with long hair considering short short short hair. i like my hair long but it gets very tangled very fast. i haven't had a pixie cut since i was about six though so i'm a little scared.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Don't be afraid of the pixie cut!

This was me until last spring:

And now I look like this (only with a better haircut):

And my mother used to tell me I could never have short hair because of my cowlicks.
I've found out I can do almost anything I want with my hair (apart from getting real bangs) and still like the way I look.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Phoenix, I love your hair! It's so flattering.

I spent a few hours last night looking at more hair cuts for ideas, and now am liking something either a bit longer that I can comb to the side, or short enough hair won't be hanging over my forehead (I realized having hair touching my forehead is probably not a good idea, as I break out on my forehead if I don't keep my hair off my face, and aside from when I was five, I just really can't pull off bangs).

Now I want something more like Carey Mulligan's pixie when it was short:
Spoiler: show

or when it was growing out:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1972930304/nm1659547
The second one isn't a pixie, but I've had something like that before and liked it, so I know I wouldn't hate it.

I'm now thinking of going for something like the second one initially, and probably soon since I haven't cut my hair since October and desperately need to, and then having it cut to an actual pixie during the summer. Gah, I am so indecisive! I'm trying to find a new salon, and the one I have my eye on has free consultations prior to hair cuts to help decide what to do, so maybe I will go talk to one of their stylist and see what they suggest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just did this to myself. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I might be wearing more hats.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

carolawesome wrote:

I just did this to myself. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I might be wearing more hats.

It looks fantastic! Don't hide it under hats! You guys are all making me want to go back to my pixie cut again! I don't have money to keep getting it trimmed though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Love it, carolawesome! The only excuse for a hat is really cold ears!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 am 
Impressive boner

I really want a soft mohawk style haircut like this:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I feel like dyeing it but not sure I want to henna... But going back from henna (well, I haven't coloured my hair in a while but the last give or take 6 years I've only used henna) to chemical seems weird somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:32 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I really want to go back to this colour

but that was the schwarzkopf live dye. Any good vegan dyes that will get me the same colour that I can get online cheap or (preferably) here in the uk?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

fisticuffs wrote:
I feel like dyeing it but not sure I want to henna... But going back from henna (well, I haven't coloured my hair in a while but the last give or take 6 years I've only used henna) to chemical seems weird somehow.

You can use indigo, or mix indigo AND henna for a still-natural dye with more options for colour variety!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

My hair is an absolute state at the moment. I had it cut last year and got over excited when the hairdresser said 'do you want layers' and I said 'YES!' when the whole point of me getting my hair cut was to get it all one length. So I'm in the process of growing it, I've not had long hair for years, my hair tends to look awful apart from the elaborate haircut I was growing out when I got it cut, but it was too much upkeep. Plus, I have a cows lick and can't have a fringe. I literally have some weird elongated mullet effort going on. On the plus side, it's past shoulder length at the back. It's still above shoulder length at the front. I have no picture to share as it is permanantly scraped back into a ponytail or scruffy bun at the moment.

One day I will have nice hair. I really wish I could pull off a pixie cut, but it would not suit me. There is some good hair in this thread <3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:49 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Sarah-Jane wrote:

but that was the schwarzkopf live dye. Any good vegan dyes that will get me the same colour that I can get online cheap or (preferably) here in the uk?

Try looking at the Manic Panic and Special Effects colours. I don't know if you've used either before? Lots of upkeep with the fact they are semi perm but you might be able to find a colour that is quite close to what it is in the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sarah-Jane wrote:

this picture reminds me of sugarcookie. I've been around far too long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 35  Next