| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think it's been about four months since I've had a haircut, and I've gone at least 6 months without one. My hair is curly/wavy and I'm growing it because the longer it is the less fluffy it gets in the middle. I am still afraid of the horrible Jew-fro cuts I've had as a child. Might just get a little trim tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I've got side sweep bangs, and the stylist did a lot of thinning to tame my thick hair, so I think me trying to trim my own bangs might be a recipe for disaster. I've been told my hair grows really fast. It might be time to go in for another hair cut soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

missdelaney wrote:
...people reaching out and straight-up touching it

i used to get a lot more of this when i was blond. maybe because i was in asia, i guess. don't miss that AT ALL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I've got side sweep bangs, and the stylist did a lot of thinning to tame my thick hair, so I think me trying to trim my own bangs might be a recipe for disaster. I've been told my hair grows really fast. It might be time to go in for another hair cut soon.

Your salon might offer a bang trim in between cuts, too. My stylist does them for free if you already have a future cut scheduled, otherwise they charge $10.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

torque wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
...people reaching out and straight-up touching it

i used to get a lot more of this when i was blond. maybe because i was in asia, i guess. don't miss that AT ALL

that's just straight up creepy. I wonder, though, if hair characteristics really have anything to do with it. Creepy people will be creepy about anything.

eta I'm not being a cultural a@@hole here....I'm referring to the whole hair color/comments discussion.

and in regards to hair cut frequency, I cut my own..... usually a trimsky about once a month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Well, I did it and I didn't cry! It's darker than my natural color but has some red undertones in it as well. I'm not sure how I think about it yet, I keep going back and forth between liking it and feeling slightly depressed about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, Ms. D if over a series of months you gradually lighten it back to blonde it'll probably work best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

missdelaney wrote:
But my red hair gets things like what Torque said, people reaching out and straight-up touching it without any comment or question, and genuinely creepy things- I once had a guy say he wanted to behead me and stick my head on a pike because my hair was so beautiful. I mean, yeah, I've got pretty great hair, but...seriously?

Whoa, what. I. What.

What is it about the red that makes people want to touch it? When I had long hair and dyed it red people always wanted to touch it. When it was dyed black with (pillar box) red streaks a woman at a concert once grabbed one of the streaks and asked me if she could have some.

Um, no, that's my hair? I said. And she was really surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Update: I now do want to cry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oh sweet potato!!!! i'm so sorry!!! maybe it will wash out a bit, or grow on you?
if it makes you feel any better, i can tell you a bad story that i might have told here before? might put a smile on your face.

when i was in Japan in a moment of awesome inspiration i dyed my naturally light blond hair black (tired of everyone forking touching my hair). for 3 glorious days it was AWESOME. then it washed out to this greenish color (my hair doesn't take color too well). after a few days of that i decided to go to the salon and ask them to strip it, and put it back to the color it used to be. I brought pictures and everything.
I didn't know much about hair, and I had never been to a salon in Japan (that was the only time, actually....). It quickly became clear that the little sweetieboys working in the salon had never seen a foreigner's hair before and had no idea what to do. They put a mask of sorts on your face for you to "relax" and so you can't see what the fizzle they're doing. But I was listening and it was pretty funny. Then they are all like "yeah, yeah, that will do it!! okay!!" and they start the coloring. typical me, i fall asleep in the chair. I wake up to gleeful sweetieboys wanting me to look in the mirror, they are smiling and triumphant and then i look and it is BANANA yellow. not like blond but like those creepy rubber hair wigs, playdough yellow. I was bananahead. and it cost me $400. and my hair was almost totally breaking-off fried.
I just about died. I was working in an office and I was sure I was going to get fired. I put my hair in a beret and went to work in tears. I went into my boss's office, crying, took off my hat and asked her if she wanted my resignation. God bless her, she feigned ignorance, when i finally said "my hair, waaaaah" she asked me if i had had it cut, she "had no idea what i was talking about." I still keep in touch with her, the angel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aww, thank you for the story, torque! I definitely needed that smile.

It's not that bad. But I'm mourning an impulse decision that I wasn't totally behind as it is. I guess I'm thinking red gave me that "something special" and now I'm back to Plain Jane. Which I know is dumb talk but I beat myself up over everything. I'll probably be fine with it in a week or so, it just feels so weird now and I don't even know what to think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Kiddo wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:

Your salon might offer a bang trim in between cuts, too. My stylist does them for free if you already have a future cut scheduled, otherwise they charge $10.

Thanks for the tip Kiddo!
As for the creeps touching hair, it's almost never ok to touch strangers without permission, not even if they have cool hair, pregnant belies, or really fuzzy sweaters! (Exceptions for administering cpr and some other situations). Sorry some of you have had to deal with that. I never had touching issues, but when my hair was below my butt, strangers did like to comment on it, ask questions, and in one weird case order me to never cut it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Lots of people think it is okay to touch my hair now that i have dreads. Nobody ever did that to me before. I've never had a stranger do it, thankfully. Usually if someone i know asks, i don't mind, but i hate when people just assume it's okay to touch any part of me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i'm considering selling my hair. i am willing to part with 36 inches of it. research shows that i might get more than $4,000 for it. i could do so much with that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Supercarrot, that is an amazing amount of hair and money!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:37 am 
Seagull of the PPK

your hair must be in fabulous shape, SC. I've listened to your adventures in caring for it for years now (cue old fart music, ha) and i can only imagine it must be super healthy and beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:10 am 

i just hope the henna doesn't reduce it's value. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm going to get my hair done on Friday. I want some color, but am undecided. My natural color is medium-dark brunette. I've got some natural highlights, but it's mostly just typical dark Irish hair. I've got the typical pale Irish skin too.

I'm thinking: dark, deep burgundy red like I did last year only more oomph, or darker brown with some sort of deep purple/black low lights. I haven't found any good inspiration photos.

My mom thinks going darker will make look like a long lost Addams family relation, but I don't mind that; I like the contrast and go for dramatic lip colors anyway. I want to look good though!

I'm willing to try almost anything that 1) is not blonde and 2) will grow out gracefully without needing expensive or frequent maintenance? I only drag myself in once to twice a year. I hate salons.

My appointment is for full color and/or hand painted highlights, so anything goes--Ive been budgeting this in since the summer so I want to make it good! I trust my stylist, and she is a master colorist so she knows her stuff. It's an Aveda salon, so that's the color used.

Any ideas, suggestions, photos? I want to not be boring!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh crepe. Found my old post and read that it took 4 hours and killed my back sitting there. Forgot about that!

Here is last year: (I'm sticking with similar cut)

Image[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:46 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Deep, dark burgundy is my favorite color, so of course I'm in favor of that. But the purple low lights also sound like they would be beautiful on you. Sorry, I'm not much help. Maybe try googling the ideas you have and see if any pictures you like come up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I have been, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My hair is crazypants right now! A year of henna and no chemical dye has made it really thick (for me!) and really curly (for me...). I really need a good product to deal with the curls because I don't blow-dry/straighten and probably never will. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita - i am looking for something similar as well (i have thick hair that's naturally super wavy - i don't use a hair dryer or anything either). i am a massage therapist and work at an aveda salon and spa, they are always telling me to use their aveda "curl control" styling product, but i'm still iffy on aveda and all the controversy that surrounds them. i did find this thread though - it might help us out: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=28126

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am getting a haircut today! I have curly medium-thickness hair just below my shoulders with long sidebangs...I'm thinking of making the bangs a bit more 'there' and keeping the length...my hair breaks really easily lately, though, and it comes out a ton in the shower. Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing breakage? (sorry if that is upthread, this is a long thread)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 pm 

a teeny tiny bit of coconut oil really helps with the curls. (put it in when your hair is only towel-dry, but not too dry. you want it to slide across, and it'll stick to one spot too much if it's too dry.)

that's one good thing about the massive weight of my hair. if i let it dry not in a bun, it won't puff up like it did when it was short. that, and the natural oils. (apple cider vinegar also really calmed them pretty well.) if i sell all 36 inches, it'll be the shortest it's been since 1999. eek! puffball city! helloooooooo hairclips!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next