| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tablet v. laptop - any thoughts?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My 9-year-old MacBook is dying, and I can't afford to replace it. And just for the sake of avoiding argument, when I can afford it, I'm getting another Mac, so I really don't want to hear about how much cheaper it would be if I got a different brand laptop.

I can, however, probably afford to get a tablet to bridge the gap. My idea is to keep the laptop for music storage/iPod updates and get the cheapest iPad for internetting (and possibly reading digital comics*). I'm gonna try out an iPad when I'm in NY, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

People who use tablets - how does it compare to using a laptop/desktop? Is there anything you can't do on a tablet that you can do on a regular computer? I'm not looking to do office-type stuff (spreadsheets and what-not), just PPKing, email, social networks, etc.

*I'm not a comics person, but I kinda want to get into them, so I thought I'd start with Marvel DCU since I prefer Marvel stuff to DC (generally).

Post subject: Re: Tablet v. laptop - any thoughts?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

If you get a tablet, I highly recommend an external keyboard which you can attach to it. I have the tiniest iPad and a logitech keyboard which fits over it. Typing on the screen is ok, but I tend to do long emails (etc.), and it's a lot easier for me to do it with a keyboard than touchscreen. It also has a groove so you can mount the iPad and treat it more like a laptop.

The only other issues I have are iWork related (Keynote and Pages are different in a way I dislike) but that doesn't sound relevant for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:22 pm 

Also, if you upload your own laptop's music to the cloud, you'll be able to listen to it on your iPad without having to deal with storage issues. My sister is doing chiropractic school using the tiny iPad + keyboard combo (and an app called Notability). I use it to make conferences, workshops and other external PhD events "easier" (I have a 3-year old Pro, but I hate carrying it around). Using it for personal stuff, I haven't run into any issues. I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

For the basics like web browsing, e-mail, and social networks, tablets work just fine. Definitely go with an external keyboard for it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:06 pm 
WRETCHED

I know a few people have done this and if you read on macrumors.com, you'll see that this isn't such a strange idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have a relatively new MacBook and an iPad Air and use the ipad for all of the things you listed. I actually break out the MacBook only for programming, Adobe stuff, file management, Power point/Keynote and Civ V. I feel guilty about how little I use the laptop now that I have the new ipad. My old ipad was the original model and was lacking severely in the ram department, but the Air pretty much solved that.

Almost everything else I can do on my ipad, and more comfortably. I have even started using iWork more. I've switched my entire GED paper flow over to Numbers and Scanner Pro.

If money is really tight, you could also look into getting the previous ipad model. It won't have a retina screen, but is otherwise pretty comparable to the Air. If you can wait, new models are probably out mid-October which will mean an Air price drop too.

(My mom has started to make rumblings about how obsessively attached I am to my ipad, not that she can afford to talk!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love my iPad mini and do most of my internetting on it. I did find the most recent update changed the placement of the on screen keyboard which makes certain sites and apps (Facebook especially) more difficult to use as the text box is covered and I can't see it do autocorrects. But it's not a big enough problem for me to run out and buy a keyboard for it.

In think my desktop is fried so I might be doing it this way for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Have you considered a MacBook Air to become your one computing device?

I love love love my iPad Air. I previously owned an iPad 2 and then an iPad 3, which are now making my son and future DIL happy (very sturdy devices). My iPad is rarely further than arms length away from me. I use it for everything you listed, plus drawing and painting, reading, games etc etc.

Even so, if you can only afford one device, the MacBook Air might be a better all around device. When your old MacBook dies you can use use an external hard drive to store your music, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks for your input, folks. I'm pretty convinced - now it's just a matter of either having enough money left at the end of my trip to NY or spending a bit extra to save more money and buy it at home (the 16GB mini is roughly £175 if I buy it in the US but over £200 here, or £285 vs £329 for the regular size with Retina). I'm hoping to get the regular size because I've gotten used to bigger screens and don't want to go that much smaller than my laptop (which is 13" - I plan on getting a 15" for my next one, hence not being able to afford it right now).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:36 am 
Discovered unobtainium

If you are using it as your only/primary device, I would not recommend a mini. They are great for reading, but I think frustrating for many other tasks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:45 am 

lavawitch wrote:
If you are using it as your only/primary device, I would not recommend a mini. They are great for reading, but I think frustrating for many other tasks.

Depends? My sister and I both use minis for university-related stuff (it's her only tech, and my preferred conference/workshop tech) and for both of our needs it's fine.

But this difference of opinion clearly suggests the OP should go to a Mac store and test all the models before making a decision (hooray!).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Well, I'm not keen on using my phone for internet stuff because of the size. And while I recognise that 3" can make a lot of difference, I'd rather have bigger. But as you say, lutin, I'll just have to play with them all at the Apple store!