| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm eloping, tell me where to go
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:16 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Seriously! I'm running away to get married next April/May and need a destination in the US

We don't even have any preference of city/woods/mountains/climate etc, everything sounds awesome! We have been looking for a while now, and excluding New York and Florida due to separate holidays already planned before and after, is as far as we have got

Post subject: Re: I'm eloping, tell me where to go
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:20 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

So exciting!! Vegas! Portland! Denver! Austin! Colorado! Omaha (you can go to Isa's restaurant!!) So many options! So many exclamation marks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My first thought was Omaha as an excuse to go to Isa's restaurant, but I know nothing else about the place. And I don't know the US and I'm not sure there are any extra things you want to consider when eloping, but have fun wherever you go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The Northeast in April is kind of touch and go weather wise, we're just as likely to have cold and gray as we are to have sunny and gorgeous weather. Usually, we don't get leaves on the trees until sometime in May, too. That being said, Boston and NYC would both still be awesome and fun and interesting.

If you want more reliably warm weather, I'd say definitely think about Asheville, NC or Austin, Tx if you'd like a vegan friendly and less... expected(?) location. Las Vegas is great if you're looking for something that has a bit of everything-- there are some absolutely breathtaking state/national parks within driving distance of the city, plus all the quinessential entertainment, shopping, and food that Vegas has to offer.

I think if you can give us any more ideas about what you're interested in we can help you narrow it down!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I went to Mendacino California a couple weeks ago and stayed at the vegan B&B the Stanford Inn and it was so amazing. Best vegan food ever! Super romantic! Super beautiful! Swimming, bike riding, canoeing, amazing breakfast, and daily tea is all included. And every room has a fireplace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oooh, crongratulations! Super fun!

Some things that might affect where I personally would go are: budget, how long you have available for the trip and where you are coming from, will anybody be coming with you for a ceremony or just the two of you?

Some first thoughts are:

-renting a cabin in the mountains North Carolina or somewhere else along the middle of the East Coast
-Bay Area
-Seattle
-Roadtrip along the Pacific coast!

Just saw LazySmurf's suggestion of Mendocino- all of northern California is, in my opinion, really amazing. I spent a summer in Mendocino County (a bit further inland) and it was AWESOME. I spent a weekend in Mendocino during that time and did find it super charming and lovely, particularly seeing starfish and anemonees nd stuff in the tide pools, and taking a trip to nearby Glass Beach- an old garbage dump in the ocean that hasn't been used in many decades, so all of the "sand' is actually small pieces of very soft beach glass, and the "rocks' in the water are actually hunks of metal which, if you look closely, you can see sprockets and stuff sticking out of. It's really surreal and cool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 pm 

Congrats! If was any later in the season I would say the Rocky Mountains - Glacier NP, Grand Teton NP, Colorado, etc - but in April there will still be a lot of snow. I've seen the most amazing pictures from elopements in those places but they were all in summer. I'm very outdoorsy so Las Vegas doesn't appeal to me, though you'd have a lot of fun there and vegan donuts too. Who needs cake when you can have donuts? North Carolina would be great, Northern California too. So many choices!

If it was me I'd look for a vegan friendly B&B or something that offered elopement packages just so it'd be totally stress-free. Napa Valley in California might have something really cool. And lots of wine. Oooh, something like this place? ETA: Not quite Napa, but Mendocino coast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:54 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't want to be completely obnoxious and obvious but - Niagara Falls! Come on!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Minneapolis is pretty awesome if you want to be in a city with lots to do. Or if you want more smalltown stuff Duluth is supposed to be lovely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Seattle! You get city, woods, mountains, ocean, AND a temperate climate!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:19 am 
Huffs Nooch

I think this is why we are struggling, with it being our wedding day we kind of said lets not set a budget and then proceeded to look at everything. We are thinking about three weeks for our trip, and are coming from close to France, and will probably get a flight from the UK. It will just be us, we aren't bringing people. April/May was just an initial thought, we could also do June or July I think

We are both quite outdoorsy, and although we both love visiting cities just as much, I'm probably leaning more towards somewhere with nice scenery for our wedding day. There are just so many beautiful places to choose from! We are having two blessing ceremonies for each of our families after the wedding, one of these will be on the beach where we live, and the other in London, so I feel like we are kind of crossing off the celebrating on a beach and in a city thing with those. Not too concerned with warm weather, it never snows where we live so snow is somewhat of a novelty to me!

You guys are awesome and have actually helped loads, I will look into those suggestions properly when I get home

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

missdelaney wrote:
Seattle! You get city, woods, mountains, ocean, AND a temperate climate!

I was going to say Seattle or Portland for exactly these reasons, plus they are both super vegan friendly.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:57 pm 

Jellybelly wrote:
We are both quite outdoorsy...Not too concerned with warm weather, it never snows where we live so snow is somewhat of a novelty to me!

In this case (and without a budget in mind) maybe check out here. They don't have a lot of info on elopements on their site but they do perform them. Also, not a lot of information but this wedding might completely convince you to not just elope to Yosemite, but to never leave. Aaaand, my favorite is this one, again in Glacier NP. They used an event planner from the area and a separate photographer. I've given this a lot of thought lately which is the reason for all the links. There are also a lot of cool places in Colorado. I just haven't looked into them as much but it'd definitely be worth a look, especially because Denver is a major airport so transportation would be easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:59 pm 

The only downside to some of the cool, outdoorsy, wild locales is they won't necessarily be as vegan-friendly. If really great vegan food would be important then somewhere closer to a coast or major cities would be better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:00 pm 

Have you been to the US before?

If not, and you want to see a lot I would say, it might be fun to fly in to Las Vegas, get married there and then rent a car, eat tons of vegan food in LA, visit Yosemite National Park, stay in San Francisco or Berkeley a few days, drive up the coast, stay in Mendocino, and then drive up to Portland, then Seattle and fly out of there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

If we had eloped, it would have been here

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Jellybelly wrote:
We are both quite outdoorsy, and although we both love visiting cities just as much, I'm probably leaning more towards somewhere with nice scenery for our wedding day. There are just so many beautiful places to choose from! We are having two blessing ceremonies for each of our families after the wedding, one of these will be on the beach where we live, and the other in London, so I feel like we are kind of crossing off the celebrating on a beach and in a city thing with those. Not too concerned with warm weather, it never snows where we live so snow is somewhat of a novelty to me!

cough. I still say Seattle (or Oregon! Really, just the Pacific Northwest) for these reasons, too. You can easily get to beautiful places from cities, you can camp, hike, kayak, rock climb, canoe, explore...we have a rain forest AND mountains AND a volcano AND an ocean. cough.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:

That place looks awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Why in the US? I would recommend New York State and Northern California.

But my honeymoon was in Donegal Ireland and it was THE BEST.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:18 am 
WRETCHED

I'm almost with Vijita, if you have vacation plans for NYC and Florida already, then why not another country? I grew up on the west coast, Southern California to be specific and I'm in love with the nature of the east coast. Once you get to Northern California and north, you do get lots of trees and what not but still, the east coast is my favorite for outdoors. April isn't too great because it is on the cusp of Spring so you could have fabulous chilly weather, crappy weather or possibly even nice snow weather for snow activities but it is too different to count on one or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 am 
Tofu Pup

Congrats Jellybelly! :D I am gonna have to go with the majority here and recommend Portland/Seattle. It's just so crazy beautiful in and around both those cities. Now, I'm not sure if you're looking for a venue exactly, or just a place to say your vows, but Multnomah Falls is an absolutely gorgeous location and about 35 minutes out from Portland. It over looks the Columbia river, and it could make for a fun little hike on your wedding day, if you're up for that. :P

My fiance and I are on the fence about eloping and are seriously considering it. Just out of curiosity, what made you and your fiance decide to go that route instead of a traditional affair? :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

If I were to get married again I'd go to New Orleans to elope! Of course everywhere else that people have suggested would be just lovely as well.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Its a bit of a long story, but we had a massive wedding booked last August and ended up canceling it at the last minute due to the behavior of some of my family members. We want to get as far away as possible, and I also want to get married somewhere that we can have our ceremony performed in English. Its not something I want translated because I think I would struggle to find it romantic! So US was an easy option because neither of us know anyone, its fairly easy to get married, there are so many awesome options and we can do it in the language we both speak. We both have a lot of family all over the UK so just ruled it out from the beginning

I know it seems like overkill to visit the US three times in the space of a year, but they aren't immediately after each other so it should be ok. We are in New York next month for a week, and then in Florida next December, I made my fiance promise me a Disney World Christmas and its taken three years to be able to get time off work at Christmas! We have visited quite a few other countries recently, and our 2016 plans don't include the US at all

Thank you all so much, I'm going to look at all your suggestions now in more detail!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Nebraskalaska wrote:

This is exactly what I came in here to link to! I would so go there. Bonus: it's really close to Seattle, so you get the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:20 pm 

Another idea - Maui.