| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

Okay, I'll calm it down on here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I took the habit of stopping to follow any Facebook friend who posted something that really shocked me or put me in a bad temper. And nowadays my Facebook is like an artificial little bubble, mostly vegan, in which I'm reasonably happy and relaxed.

I feel awkward for the real-life friends I've blocked though, because they must guess why I never react to their posts anymore. It seems that Facebook reveals disappointing, occasionally scary, sides in some people that I never noticed while talking with them in person.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:12 am 
WRETCHED

I am lucky that there was only 1 person I had to hide their feed and it was my mom's cousin. One of my cousins (my 1st cousin's kid, she is in her 20s) started posting David Wolfe stuff. I love her to pieces but.... And then one of her sisters invited everyone to her new business which is some MLM, think it is some time of meal replacement/greens powder thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

One of the things that shocked me was when a friend discussed a law for having all pitbulls killed. She said she didn't believe it made sense for all pitbulls to be killed, yet she wanted it done, that way she'd be sure of being rid of one particular pitbull, which she was scared of when walking near its enclosure. I think it's the cool awareness and acceptance of the personal bias in this reasoning that really annoyed me. It's a similar attitude to "I agree cows suffer a lot, but I want cheese".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:00 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Minatomachi wrote:
One of the things that shocked me was when a friend discussed a law for having all pitbulls killed. She said she didn't believe it made sense for all pitbulls to be killed, yet she wanted it done, that way she'd be sure of being rid of one particular pitbull, which she was scared of when walking near its enclosure. I think it's the cool awareness and acceptance of the personal bias in this reasoning that really annoyed me. It's a similar attitude to "I agree cows suffer a lot, but I want cheese".
Holy cr*p. That is sociopathically self-absorbed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:06 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I didn't defriend, but unfollowed one of my co-workers because she would vaguebook about all of us like we couldn't read it, and since she usually bitched us out before or after these posts, there's no doubt as to what it was about. She did it to me and then sent me a shitty email 24 hours later so I was like, "Okay. I'm. You. You're Terrible on Facebook anyway so i'll just hide you."

Hopefully I don't have to explain why defriending her would be worse.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:25 am 
WRETCHED

I need to share with someone because... my mom. So I saw that a teen in my area had been missing and figured I should share because I'm FB friends with a lot of people in MD and surrounding states... My mom posts 'sending prayers'. You all, my mom is a non-practicing catholic. Her asparagus doesn't pray.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:58 am 
BAD PASS

Haha! Same with my stepmother. She likes to send me FB messages that, when I open them, are like...a gif of a rotating cross? And before I unfollowed her, she would post pictures of waterfalls with scripture. Like...wait, what? YOU ARE NOT RELIGIOUS.

"Maybe if I share all these dumb memes, I can get into heaven!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:39 am 
WRETCHED

I think it is more like something that her friends say on FB as a way to try to be comforting. So even though she has no intention of praying, she says it. Except even if she was praying, I wouldn't find that comforting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this might need to go into the "woo" thread but it started on facebook and this thread was already at the top of the forum.

i fell into a worm internet wormhole last night that started on facebook. i think one of my fb acquaintance's "likes" everything after he reads it. so any status a friend posts he reads it and then "likes" it im guessing so he knows what he read and didnt or something.
so some random article one of his friends posted pops up in my feed that he likes. it says that people who have Rh- blood are part alien.
so i have O- blood which is the rarest blood type and universal donor so i clicked on it. why the fork not this sounds wacky.

so i have since "learned" people with Rh- blood may in fact be part alien. i forget the reason they gave. they made it sound vaguely scientific but im guessing there was 1001 holes in the theory. it had something to do with the rareness of it. i guess having Rh+ blood somehow shows an evolution of humans from apes so Rh- is a bit of a mystery. some people decided it means aliens came down and started another race of slaves. some people think we are from fallen angels. some people think the fact that if you are Rh- and get pregnant and your fetus is Rh+ that your body attacks the fetus is proof that Rh- people are descended from aliens.
this makes me feel mildly better about the 3 shots in the asparagus i got while pregnant. IT'S JUST BECAUSE IM DESCENDED FROM ALIENS

then back on facebook it had other articles for me to read since i had read that one and i fell further down the crazy hole. another article had a summary of similar traits Rh- people have and apparently we are all highly intelligent, highly sensitive, prone to alien abduction (yes! most people abducted by aliens have been Rh-!!! according to these articles), have ESP, have a connection to angels and spirits, etc.

so just an FYI if i ever disappear all of a sudden it's just because my Rh- asparagus got abducted by aliens.

i was in bed reading these articles last night and was texting them to my husband who was in the living room watching tv and he told me to put down the crack pipe. HA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

LP, I'm jealous that you have O- blood. I'm the opposite: AB+, which is the universal recipient but can only donate to other AB+. Every time I donate blood I feel like it doesn't really matter since so few people can use mine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

AB negative is actually the rarest blood type. Since I am both left handed and AB neg, I am surely either an alien or the devil! How exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mooo you're definitely gonna get abducted by the aliens any minute now!

posting about this briefly made me really angry at all the shots i got when i was pregnant because it turns out BP is also Rh- but then i remembered it's because my husband is Rh+.

damn shots in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That was mean of them to give you shots in the asparagus! I got mine in my arm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im not sure the reasoning other than lots of fat to absorb the sting.
i actually only remember the first one but i know i got 3. the first one was definitely in the asparagus the other 2 i dont remember and just assume it was in the same spot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I know someone who got it in the asparagus too - I thought that was the norm!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

hahahha that is amazing LP!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:29 pm 
BAD PASS

I think a friend got mad at me because, on her post about whether she should be Barb from Stranger Things or something else, I commented that there will probably be a ton of Barbs already, so she should be the other thing. I think maybe she thought that the Barb idea was super unique and was offended. Whoops.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I ended up on an old friend's page who I remembered unfollowing for being annoying and I saw we weren't friends anymore at all. I think I might have been the one to unfriend him? And I was wondering why, then read the first post and was immediately enraged by stupid racist stuff he was saying. Then I was like, that's why! I felt super satisfied I haven't had anything to do with this person for a long time. A lot of my friends are still friends with him and they were telling him off in the thread. But I know he will not listen to them at all. He thinks he's the smartest. Ugh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159