| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 159  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

daisychain wrote:
There is a huge herbalife invasion going on Facebook the last few weeks. It was bad enough when I had one friend that was on it but now a heap of them are. Now I'm all for healthy lifestyle and change but seriously this bombardment of herbalife propaganda is unreal. Then if you say anything remotely non-pro herbalife then you get a reaction like you just said oxygen is bad for you and you need to stop breathing. There is something seriously cultish about the whole thing and the way people are "inspired" to change their whole lives because of a bloody milkshake.

If a milkshake is going to change your entire life then it should be at least an oreo one.

US regulator launches Herbalife investigation. Aye.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:37 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Arisaig wrote:

I accidentally sent a friend request to someone while looking at a list of members of a group on my phone recently. Am I the only one who has done that? My finger just touched the "add friend" button while I was scrolling, a friend request was sent and there was nothing I could do about it.

I have also done that (to a complete stranger but we have mutual friends) and I was mortified, but then I sent her a message saying it was an accident. She actually responded and said thanks for explaining! Now I am verrrrrrry careful about how I scroll!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think I've done that and been able to undo it. If I recall, you just have to go to their page, click on the button that says "Friend request sent" and then cancel the request.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fezza wrote:
daisychain wrote:
There is a huge herbalife invasion going on Facebook the last few weeks. It was bad enough when I had one friend that was on it but now a heap of them are. Now I'm all for healthy lifestyle and change but seriously this bombardment of herbalife propaganda is unreal. Then if you say anything remotely non-pro herbalife then you get a reaction like you just said oxygen is bad for you and you need to stop breathing. There is something seriously cultish about the whole thing and the way people are "inspired" to change their whole lives because of a bloody milkshake.

If a milkshake is going to change your entire life then it should be at least an oreo one.

US regulator launches Herbalife investigation. Aye.

They seriously need to get shut down. Mostly because of how irritating their followers are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lepelaar wrote:
I think I've done that and been able to undo it. If I recall, you just have to go to their page, click on the button that says "Friend request sent" and then cancel the request.

Aha, thanks for that lepelaar! I am very cautious now if I use my phone for Facebook and it's good to know I can undo it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:20 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

daisychain wrote:
fezza wrote:

They seriously need to get shut down. Mostly because of how irritating their followers are.

off topic, but also on-topic: i was at a race (running) waiting around for my husband to finish, and i was chatting with someone and it turned to vitamins. (ok, we're at a race, fine vitamins) and i told him i didn't take them because i don't remember, and he was saying how their vitamins are in packets, so you put it somewhere at night. i didn't feel like talking to him anymore, so i don't remember how i ended it, but seriously, if i don't remember in the morning, i sure as heck wouldn't remember to grab a packet and put it somewhere at night time. geez. it was very gross how he turned a nice chit chat into a sales pitch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:45 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Arisaig wrote:
Ew, Tofulish, that is really tasteless. why does he even need to put that on Facebook?

I accidentally sent a friend request to someone while looking at a list of members of a group on my phone recently. Am I the only one who has done that? My finger just touched the "add friend" button while I was scrolling, a friend request was sent and there was nothing I could do about it. Luckily, she is someone I know in real life and while I don't know her well we have chatted numerous times, and I have people on my friends list that I don't know well (or at all IRL), but still I would not have chosen to make her a Facebook friend.

Lol I just did that. yesterday I was nosying around Facebook, minding my own business, seeing what happened to some of the people I grew up with and I must have accidentally added someone since I just received a message 'x accepted your friend request', oops, just unfriended him again. It's not like I really know him anyway, nor would I want to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lepelaar wrote:

Ah great tip, I must remember that next time I'm being so nosy on Facebook, just to check if I pressed anything I shouldn't have!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:03 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

supercarrot wrote:
do they have many other friends? is it possible it's just a spammer trying to fill up their feed to appear more legit to group moderators? if they have a picture of a beautiful person as their usericon and a majority of their friends are also beautiful, there's a very good chance they're just a spammer.

If it's a spammer or scammer, it can also be detected by the number of groupw they're member of, and the (un)logic connections between the groups.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:43 pm 
Impressive boner

I've found pages in my news feed that I've never liked (really, electropop isn't my thing). I wondered if it was one of those 'bought' likes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I only just found out that liking something on Facebook is not enough to receive notifications. You also need to go to their Facebook page, hoover over the like button and then select Get Notifications.

If companies on there want all their notifications on people's newsfeed they need to pay Facebook first.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Solkiki wrote:

If companies on there want all their notifications on people's newsfeed they need to pay Facebook first.

As a consumer I don't even like this (if I'm liking a page I'm pretty much agreeing to be spammed with marketing) but it's also really hurt my workplace, which relies a lot on no-budget marketing. I think it sucks because small businesses can't afford massive marketing budgets so the predictable big businesses are all over your newsfeed which is lame because duh, while the smaller businesses with more interesting FB posts disappear into oblivion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:
Solkiki wrote:

As a consumer I don't even like this (if I'm liking a page I'm pretty much agreeing to be spammed with marketing) but it's also really hurt my workplace, which relies a lot on no-budget marketing. I think it sucks because small businesses can't afford massive marketing budgets so the predictable big businesses are all over your newsfeed which is lame because duh, while the smaller businesses with more interesting FB posts disappear into oblivion.

I totally agree this hurts small businesses and I really don't like this practice as a consumer either for the same reasons you mention. The lady who runs one of my favourite sites on Facebook has put a post up on Facebook to inform people to go to her website and click get notifications to be sure to receive the updates from her. Maybe this reminder to people is something you can do as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My boyfriend has put up a flippant jokey status about Tony Benn's death, and I think it's pretty disrespectful to do that. I've sent him a text to tell him, but I'm debating whether to put a public response as well, I don't want people to associate me with that kind of insensitivity by proxy, but on the other hand I don't want to look like I'm shaming him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:10 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

dropscone wrote:
My boyfriend has put up a flippant jokey status about Tony Benn's death, and I think it's pretty disrespectful to do that. I've sent him a text to tell him, but I'm debating whether to put a public response as well, I don't want people to associate me with that kind of insensitivity by proxy, but on the other hand I don't want to look like I'm shaming him.

Maybe give him time to respond to your text and delete the status? If he doesn't, then comment?

My facebook feed is basically a Benn-fest at the moment - more than one of the posts has made me tearful. I am finding my friends' responses to the news pleasantly surprising and very heartwarming (or maybe I just have very lefty friends).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

He took it down. He said he'd thought that Tony Benn wouldn't have minded but that he didn't want to offend anybody.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good outcome!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My company got a really weirdo testimonial from a client about how we were part of god's divine path and his righteous plan for this guy's life. We are a mortgage broker, so that's nice but over the top. My colleagues all wanted me to post it on FB, so I did, but it just seemed so weird. Like if I saw that I'd be creeped out. Maybe it's just the atheist in me and other religious people would respond better to it. Not sure. But yeah, awkward.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ashley wrote:
My company got a really weirdo testimonial from a client about how we were part of god's divine path and his righteous plan for this guy's life. We are a mortgage broker, so that's nice but over the top. My colleagues all wanted me to post it on FB, so I did, but it just seemed so weird. Like if I saw that I'd be creeped out. Maybe it's just the atheist in me and other religious people would respond better to it. Not sure. But yeah, awkward.

Lol that would be awkward for me too, I think you handled it well though

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ashley wrote:

I might block a page I'd followed for posting something like that, but I know a lot of people who wouldn't think twice about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

creep wrote:
ashley wrote:

I might block a page I'd followed for posting something like that, but I know a lot of people who wouldn't think twice about it.

Wow that's interesting, does anyone else feel that way too?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would block a page for posting testimonials as statuses if they did it more than once or twice, regardless of content. If I already like your page why do I need to see what Joe Schmoe thinks of you? It just seems like boasting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, if someone thought it was appropriate to post something (even if a customer wrote it about them) that implied that their business was doing god's work/part of god's plan, I would find that weird and creepy and probably stop following that business. I don't think I'd unfollow if the customer posted it on their wall, but definitely if they posted it themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

yeah, i don't like the boasty posts. throw in god, and i would very likely unfollow.

did you get any responses from it? did you post it with commentary, or did you just enclose it in quotes and send it as that?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have to agree with the others, sorry. If that's what you're selecting to put on your page, then it makes me think that to you guys, that's the ultimate compliment and how you want to advertise your business. Posting testimonials is advertising afterall.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 159  Next