| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:02 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

This is helpful feedback and along the lines of how I felt about it, but I went with the majority. I just said "we were touched to receive the following message from a client" and posted it with a picture of the guy posing with the keys to his new house (with his permission of course). We are advertising to realtors as much as potential borrowers (we want them to bring their clients to us), maybe more so, so I also tagged the agent and said something about how awesome she is.

The post got a bunch of likes, so maybe this shiitake works. I don't know. I still think it's weird.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:21 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Ah, well that sounds like you handled it well, it's nice when businesses acknowledge customer feedback (which a surprising number don't!), but hopefully if anyone else is moved to give a testimonial they'll post it themselves so you're not having to blow your own trumpet all the time.

There's a cake business local to me and I had to unfollow and will not buy their stuff now, because they would not shut up about how great everyone thought their cakes were and what a lot of work they did for charity, but at the same time they were posting veiled backstabby things about rival businesses. Not cool.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

So, another clueless admin question:
on a mostly well-behaved group, there is one guy who regularly posts news articles he writes. some of his articles raise my hackles but not blatantly so. they're mostly just cheesy and narrow-minded.

I can't tell if his settings are so that only his friends are allowed to post on his group posts, or if he has only blocked me (I may have had a go at him in the past. I do know I can't comment on his posts or message him and ask him to tone it down. I've asked around and others seem to be blocked as well (all women, interestingly). In the past I've had to ask my (male) co-admin to message him and take off the accompanying pic of the naked lady, for example. It insults my dignity as well as my feminism.

As the admin, the only thing I can do is to delete his posts and ban him (can't talk to him like a person). I'd like to post something public saying that if he can't allow everyone to comment, he should post it somewhere non-public (like his own page). But if he has me blocked, I doubt he would even see anything I post, right?

What say ye, PPK? is DTMFA too harsh? in theory some people on the group may enjoy his news stories even if he is a shitty writer and a douche.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

DTMFA + ban. no explanation needed. he shouldn't expect kindness from an admin who he has blocked. self-promoters get my hackles up too. it appears they don't understand just how selfish they're being.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:57 am 

Delete post, remove and block user.

I'm a co-admin of a group too, and people who post something that doesn't belong in the group, they'll get a message or warning. If I can't message them, the post will be removed without warning or explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

thanks guys, that's done then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Guys, this selfie posting craze is seriously making me want to deactivate my Facebook.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:07 pm 
Impressive boner

daisychain wrote:
Guys, this selfie posting craze is seriously making me want to deactivate my Facebook.

Is that the makeup-less selfie to promote awareness of breast cancer? I get that people want to support awareness and that people do genuinely want to help cancer research, but I fail to see how posting a photo of yourself in no makeup is going to help cure cancer any more than liking/sharing a status. I won't be reciprocating if someone tags me to do it next.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

8ball wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Is that the makeup-less selfie to promote awareness of breast cancer? I get that people want to support awareness and that people do genuinely want to help cancer research, but I fail to see how posting a photo of yourself in no makeup is going to help cure cancer any more than liking/sharing a status.

Yep, that's the one. I reposted a thing about how to check your breasts for lumps to promote awareness because my make-up free face isn't going to do much except traumatise people. Another friend had put up the same link and basically got so much abuse that she had to remove it.

But even before this whole trend, I still thought selfies were annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There is so much drama going on in my newsfeed. Two people, Person A and Person B, were acquaintances who had an ill-conceived and short-lived business venture and now they are spewing drama all over fb. Person A has posted that anyone who remains fb friends with Person B is an awful betraying person who will be unfriended immediately. Person B posted that they just want all of humanity to die a fiery death. Person A went into a tailspin where they posted melodramatic statuses every 10 minutes about how Person B broke their heart. (Many of them involved lyrics from "Somebody That I Used to Know".) Apparently, Person B was their one true soulmate. This is incredibly awkward because Person A is married to someone else. Person A's spouse isn't on fb, and as far as I know is unaware of all of this drama. Person B posted a status about how terrible it is that some people have to slander others in order to get attention. And so on and so forth. They are demanding that people choose sides. No thank you. Please stop trying to drag innocent bystanders into your drama!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

8ball wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Is that the makeup-less selfie to promote awareness of breast cancer? I get that people want to support awareness and that people do genuinely want to help cancer research, but I fail to see how posting a photo of yourself in no makeup is going to help cure cancer any more than liking/sharing a status. I won't be reciprocating if someone tags me to do it next.

This is probably tempting fate, but so far I haven't seen a single selfie-for-breast-cancer post. I didn't even know it was happening until one of my friends complained about it on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
There is so much drama going on in my newsfeed. Two people, Person A and Person B, were acquaintances who had an ill-conceived and short-lived business venture and now they are spewing drama all over fb. Person A has posted that anyone who remains fb friends with Person B is an awful betraying person who will be unfriended immediately. Person B posted that they just want all of humanity to die a fiery death. Person A went into a tailspin where they posted melodramatic statuses every 10 minutes about how Person B broke their heart. (Many of them involved lyrics from "Somebody That I Used to Know".) Apparently, Person B was their one true soulmate. This is incredibly awkward because Person A is married to someone else. Person A's spouse isn't on fb, and as far as I know is unaware of all of this drama. Person B posted a status about how terrible it is that some people have to slander others in order to get attention. And so on and so forth. They are demanding that people choose sides. No thank you. Please stop trying to drag innocent bystanders into your drama!

I think the side you choose in those kinds of situations is neither. Yikers, to quote Jeff Winger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:59 pm 
Semen Strong

My friend who is posting about how her 2 year old is beating up, riding, pulling tails and fur and generally bashing the crepe out of their cat (posted in the Vegan Pet Peeves thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22179&p=866280#p866280)) is now posting that she doesn't want to "withdraw love" from her child, so basically she is unwilling to distract, correct or remove her daughter from the situation, just in case her Poor Pwecious Snowfwake gets her feelings hurt.

It is just blowing my mind that a normal, sane and generally kind person is letting their toddler beat up the cat, rather than intervening. I believe in gentle discipline, and I am very gentle with L, but I don't think that this person would let the toddler beat up another person, and I hate that people think its okay beat up a cat, rather than hurt your toddler's feelings.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:29 pm 
Dead by dawn

Silly me, I always thought setting appropriate boundaries for your kids was a way of showing love, not withdrawing it...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 pm 
Semen Strong

No, you want to love your child unconditionally. So if they are hitting you on the head with a wooden spoon, you just say "Oh darling, Mama loves you so much! Would you be willing to consider putting the spoon down and maybe eating some healthy chia pudding with that wooden spoon instead?"

The number of people now posting that their children do the same thing - one has a 3 year old who beats on their dog with a wooden spoon, toys and books - is now depressing the shiitake out of me. And they are all assuring one another that really its normal and its up to the animals to learn to tolerate it, because we care more about protecting our children from harm than the animals. Which is true, but when the harm to the child is of its feewings versus the cat actually being at physical risk, I cannot believe that anyone thinks you shouldn't protect your animal friend. And now the moderator is suggesting that she get rid of the cat.

Seriously, the comments are making me want to post the entire thread to Sanctimommy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
And they are all assuring one another that really its normal and its up to the animals to learn to tolerate it.

These are the kind of people who have dogs, cats, ect that one day "just go crazy out of no where" and bite their child severely.

No, it wasn't out of no where! They were just tired of getting beat on and not being listened to, cause guess what! Those times your dog or cat put their ears back, or showed their teeth, or growled, or tried to get away weren't them "being cute" or "just playing". They were telling you to back the fork off!

For forks sake, these people shouldn't have animals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 pm 
Semen Strong

I was so pissed I went and vented to my husband for the better part of an hour. And he said "You know, the world is so messed up, and there isn't enough outrage about it. I am proud of you for being so outraged that you're vegan."

He gets me. He really gets me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:09 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Maybe it's time to post on their threads that one of the overwhelming common factors between later serial killers is that they tortured animals in childhood.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh Rachel, how I do envy you! All us people who aren't posting no makeup selfies are horrible, soulless and selfish for not increasing "awareness." I'm sorry but the only thing it has increased my awareness of is that there are more charities and people will do anything to be in the "in" crowd and not my awareness of actual breast cancer. Meanwhile, people that are reposting the check your breasts and signs of breast cancer have increased my awareness of what to look for and is encouraging me to become more familiar with my body.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:

And they are all assuring one another that really its normal and its up to the animals to learn to tolerate it.

So much rage. Do these folks also believe that their kids should learn to tolerate bites to the face? If the parents don't enforce boundaries, eventually the animals will.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh. Just saw one of the selfies. Apart from a mention of "the big C", it tells me absolutely nothing about what it's referring to but still manages to get a fundraising appeal in. If I have to google something to know what you're on about, you've already lost me. And I'm sure as hell not donating to something if I don't know what it's for or where the money is going.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:42 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Ruby Rose wrote:
Maybe it's time to post on their threads that one of the overwhelming common factors between later serial killers is that they tortured animals in childhood.

Heh <3

The facebook cancer thing does my head in. I don't dare to go make-up free, I just do it every day and anyone who doesn't like it can go fork themselves. The fact that make-up free selfies seem to be a big enough thing to push awareness with makes me despair for women who think it's a brave thing to do. Catch a grip ladies, stop worrying what strangers think of you, if your family/friends need you to wear make-up DTMFA and stop forking comparing yourself to other wimmin. Be grateful you're not dealing with skin diseases or scarring and learn to love what you have, it'll make you more attractive than winching in the mirror at yerselves. We're our own worst enemies when we buy into this shiitake.

And don't even get me started on those stupid, exclusionary "don't tell men the answer" awareness things. How about just telling the men to keep an eye on their moobs, they're at risk too >_<

Yours faithfully

Daughter of an ex-cancer nurse and of a terminal cancer patient

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 am 

Well said, fezza!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:36 am 
Flounceiad 2011

fezza wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:

Heh <3

The facebook cancer thing does my head in. I don't dare to go make-up free, I just do it every day and anyone who doesn't like it can go fork themselves. The fact that make-up free selfies seem to be a big enough thing to push awareness with makes me despair for women who think it's a brave thing to do. Catch a grip ladies, stop worrying what strangers think of you, if your family/friends need you to wear make-up DTMFA and stop forking comparing yourself to other wimmin. Be grateful you're not dealing with skin diseases or scarring and learn to love what you have, it'll make you more attractive than winching in the mirror at yerselves. We're our own worst enemies when we buy into this shiitake.

And don't even get me started on those stupid, exclusionary "don't tell men the answer" awareness things. How about just telling the men to keep an eye on their moobs, they're at risk too >_<

Yours faithfully

Daughter of an ex-cancer nurse and of a terminal cancer patient
Hell yes to all of this. Posting a photo or even - GASP - going outside without makeup does not constitute heroism, activism, consciousness raising, or anything but approval-seeking from internet strangers. Ditto posting pictures of your breasts. And as for that puerile, cutesy "let's titter (pun intended) about our underwear and not tell the mens" thing, my mom died of breast cancer shortly before that started going around, and I was deeply offended at the reduction of women and men's suffering (which was completely ignored) to middle-school locker room idiocy. Want to make a difference in the fight against cancer? Wear make-up or not as you please, then button your shirt, STFU about your underwear, and try opening your wallet to contribute to research, or volunteering at a clinic or hospice, or driving people to treatments, or anything that actually accomplishes something besides getting you a bunch of "likes." /end rant.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I shamefully did take part in that bra thing a few years ago. Totally nothing to do with breast cancer though just because I was immature at the time and everyone was doing it. Now in my more mature state of mind I realise that I don't have to follow the pack that I can do more by being me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 79  Next