| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:01 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

lepelaar - I know how you feel, someone who I didn't talk to for a long time for some pretty specific and serious reasons found me on FB a few years ago, and I've found that time and life have made a huge difference in how they relate to others.

Worst case, you can put her on a restricted list, block her from chat and not follow her, but pacify her by being "friends."

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:11 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Best to leave her blocked. She is needily seeking you out, it isn't going to get better!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:56 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I would keep her blocked.

She can not see you are friends with friends of her because she's blocked (that's how I think it works)

You've made a decision for no contact and there is no reason for you to change that.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

You don't owe her anything. If she had some serious message for you then I think the message from your mutual friend would have been more than "hi" (just assuming that was all they said) but you're out of high school and have had a life without this person for years, there's no real reason you need them back in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I would keep her blocked unless you feel comfortable with blocking her again once you unblock her if she doesn't respect your boundaries. Then I would consider unblocking her if you think things might be different now and would be okay with some form of reconnection.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:08 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Yeah, keeping her blocked is fine. and she won't necessarily know that she's blocked. I have a real-life friend who told me to friend her but when I tried to look for on FB, she didn't come up at all. we had mutual friends so I would see her post on other people's walls but I couldn't click on her name to add her or anything. I asked her about it and it turned out she hadn't realized that she had her privacy settings set to super restricted, so that no one could find her or friend her.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 am 
Flounceiad 2011

A former co-worker (who had weight loss surgery a few years ago, and is forever talking about whatever diet she's currently on) posted this, and it was all I could do not to reply, "EVERYTHING IS MADE OF CHEMICALS."

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:54 am 
Dead by dawn

My niece-in-law posted that as well, along with everything else she stumbles across about the horrors of chemicals in our food and vaccines. I love her and I appreciate that she's trying to get healthier but she is just so very lacking in critical thinking skills.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Post this is response?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:05 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

jordanpattern wrote:
Post this is response?

That is genius!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:15 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

A RL friend wants to become veggie, on her FB thread talking about it someone has told her just to be more selective about where she buys meat and there's no need to give it up (with regards to animal welfare). I've restrained myself and just mentioned that even organic animals end up in the same slaughter houses (she's objecting to slaughter methods). It's awkward but I find it really hard to say nothing when people are inaccurate with any facts. I just hope I don't put her in the middle of anything.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Nicole wrote:
lepelaar - I know how you feel, someone who I didn't talk to for a long time for some pretty specific and serious reasons found me on FB a few years ago, and I've found that time and life have made a huge difference in how they relate to others.

Worst case, you can put her on a restricted list, block her from chat and not follow her, but pacify her by being "friends."

Yeah, unless you actually disliked this person in addition to finding her totally overwhelming and needy, I'd add her. People can change so much.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:33 am 
Level 7 Vegan

2 former classmates just announced the birth of their kid "after 4 months of trying, a beautiful conception and 9 months of maturing".
But wait, there's more! Apparently the spawn kept a blog of everything that happened to "Mommy and Daddy" while he was in utero. Started on August 7, "the day I was conceived". Whyyyy.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

One of my friends just posted one of those lame someecards that says, "Government assistance: You may think it comes from rich people, but it comes from people who work 70 hours a week and still can't afford to buy what you can. You're Welcome." And it's linked from the Tea Party, so I'm assuming it's not talking about corporate welfare or tax loopholes for the rich. I'm so tempted to respond, but she's always been the kind of person who thinks that she knows more than me about everything because she's older, and I'm sure she'd use my absence from the country as a reason to dismiss my opinion (well, facts) about this.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:05 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

lepelaar, don't feel pressured to unblock her if you don't want to.

Most of my friends from high school were just drug buddies, so I really don't have a reason to reconnect with them, plus my dad was kind of a local celebrity while I was in junior high and high school and it was not a positive experience for me, so I never added my maiden name to my FB profile. Sometimes I wonder if i'm being too much of a weirdo about it but reading through this thread makes me think NOPE.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't have my maiden name on my profile either! I live in the town I went to high school still, so some people find me, but I don't want or need to reconnect with anyone who would have to search for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

aelle wrote:
2 former classmates just announced the birth of their kid "after 4 months of trying, a beautiful conception and 9 months of maturing".
But wait, there's more! Apparently the spawn kept a blog of everything that happened to "Mommy and Daddy" while he was in utero. Started on August 7, "the day I was conceived". Whyyyy.

Creepy! I get so tired of the baby announcements/photos/updates. I have a pregnant friend who posts a photo of her growing belly every week. Same forking thing over and over again.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:24 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

aelle wrote:

Some people seem to think that because babies are generally considered cute, anything to do with babies is also adorable. Who cares if the conception was beautiful? It doesn't matter if your child was conceived through the ugliest hangover sex in history, the point is you wanted a baby and now you have one.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:57 pm 
Chip Strong

aelle wrote:

I feel really obtuse but...doesn't conception basically look the same for everyone, IVF or no? Does that word not mean what I think it means?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 am 
Flounceiad 2011

aelle wrote:
2 former classmates just announced the birth of their kid "after 4 months of trying, a beautiful conception and 9 months of maturing". But wait, there's more! Apparently the spawn kept a blog of everything that happened to "Mommy and Daddy" while he was in utero. Started on August 7, "the day I was conceived". Whyyyy.
I cannot stop laughing at this. It's just so impossibly lame.
madeleine.teacup wrote:
...doesn't conception basically look the same for everyone, IVF or no? Does that word not mean what I think it means?
Exactly! A sperm and an egg meet and do the same thing whether or not their respective contributors did so in a laboratory or the Holiday Inn Conception Suite with Barry White on the hi-fi and the fine Courvoisier a-flowin.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:58 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Is the blog public? Can you post it?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:35 am 
Level 7 Vegan

It is public, but I'd rather not post it, even without a link. Knowing the pair, they are probably tracking their stats like mad and it could get weird. Also it's in French.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Awhile back I defriended someone I went to high school with because she posted something pretty terrible. The other day she sent me a friend request. Does she not realize I defriended her?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Babies are awesome and cute and I get excited about my friends' babies because they're like tinier, cooler versions of my friends, but.... I'm really forking sick of this very prevalent misconception among so many of today's parents they they are the First to Raise Children Correctly, to the point where everything (including conception) is meticulously overwrought and painstakingly cataloged for future generations to not give a tiny shiitake about.

I don't mean to downplay parenthood or childbirth, as I know it's an enormous, often thankless task. But calm down, people. You're not exactly hacking a path through the wilderness with your amazing Miracle Spawn. You're traveling down a well-established 12-lane highway. Your baby is awesome, but it's not The Savior.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:21 pm 
BAD PASS

rachell37 wrote:
One of my friends just posted one of those lame someecards that says, "Government assistance: You may think it comes from rich people, but it comes from people who work 70 hours a week and still can't afford to buy what you can. You're Welcome." And it's linked from the Tea Party, so I'm assuming it's not talking about corporate welfare or tax loopholes for the rich. I'm so tempted to respond, but she's always been the kind of person who thinks that she knows more than me about everything because she's older, and I'm sure she'd use my absence from the country as a reason to dismiss my opinion (well, facts) about this.

I unfriended a long-lost relative (second cousin, I think?) who posted that. I wanted to ask her when the last time she worked a 70 hour week was, but just went with the unfriending.

I got in a huge argument with a woman who posted a long rant about her next door neighbor who is "on welfare" but has an iPhone and a "nice new bag." ...My iPhone cost 99 cents with a contract and I pay the same amount as I did back when I had a non-smartphone! Maybe her bag was a gift from someone? Why is it your business?? Also -- you don't even have a job! ...totally got myself unfriended.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 94  Next