| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Babies are awesome and cute and I get excited about my friends' babies because they're like tinier, cooler versions of my friends, but.... I'm really forking sick of this very prevalent misconception among so many of today's parents they they are the First to Raise Children Correctly, to the point where everything (including conception) is meticulously overwrought and painstakingly cataloged for future generations to not give a tiny shiitake about.

I don't mean to downplay parenthood or childbirth, as I know it's an enormous, often thankless task. But calm down, people. You're not exactly hacking a path through the wilderness with your amazing Miracle Spawn. You're traveling down a well-established 12-lane highway. Your baby is awesome, but it's not The Savior.

Ugh, my 22 year old niece has a toddler. Her posts about her Miracle Spawn are bad enough, but her mom's posts about her Miracle Spawn, who one would think invented the very concept of Motherhood itself, are just too much. I hid both of them. My niece is immature and irresponsible and while I know she loves the baby, I just couldn't stomach my former sil heaping praise on her every action. "Look at the socks my saintly daughter put on my miraculously gorgeous granddaughter's feet! Isn't she the most selfless, awe-inspiring mother in the history of humankind?!"

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
You're not exactly hacking a path through the wilderness with your amazing Miracle Spawn. You're traveling down a well-established 12-lane highway. Your baby is awesome, but it's not The Savior.

It could, however, very well be the antichrist, from what it sounds....

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Babies are awesome and cute and I get excited about my friends' babies because they're like tinier, cooler versions of my friends, but.... I'm really forking sick of this very prevalent misconception among so many of today's parents they they are the First to Raise Children Correctly, to the point where everything (including conception) is meticulously overwrought and painstakingly cataloged for future generations to not give a tiny shiitake about.

I don't mean to downplay parenthood or childbirth, as I know it's an enormous, often thankless task. But calm down, people. You're not exactly hacking a path through the wilderness with your amazing Miracle Spawn. You're traveling down a well-established 12-lane highway. Your baby is awesome, but it's not The Savior.
This is so beautifully, cogently, and hilariously put that I am asking you to marry me (and not have my children) right now.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have a former acquaintance (someone I played derby with who pretty much ceased all contact with me when I decided to stop skating) who I guess believes Instagram is only for posting pictures of her kid eating fast food. I can tell you every meal that kid's eaten for the past two years, if I scrolled back through her account.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:38 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Desdemona wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

This is so beautifully, cogently, and hilariously put that I am asking you to marry me (and not have my children) right now.

Only if I can start 5 blogs about our wedding, sell sponsorship space in our wedding program, and endlessly instagram/FB pics of the wedding on each monthly anniversary of our nuptials for the forseeable future.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE ALLOWED TO FORGET OUR LOVE.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Only if I can start 5 blogs about our wedding, sell sponsorship space in our wedding program, and endlessly instagram/FB pics of the wedding on each monthly anniversary of our nuptials for the forseeable future.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE ALLOWED TO FORGET OUR LOVE.
Name the day, my precious petal!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tzippy wrote:
Awhile back I defriended someone I went to high school with because she posted something pretty terrible. The other day she sent me a friend request. Does she not realize I defriended her?

Sometimes someone gets defriended by accident. I've had that happen before. In most cases, I will check with the person or send a new friend request if I see someone's defriended me and it's someone whose friendship I care about at all, because there have been several times when I've done that and it turns out it was just a mistake, and I would never want to lost a friendship with someone because of a mistake like that. There's just no way for someone to know whether you defriended them on purpose or by accident unless you tell them.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:14 am 
Nailed to the V

Someone posted a Someecard on Facebook that says "I see your passive aggressive non-verbal communication and I am ignoring it."

Should I just let her go on thinking that posting that is NOT 100% EXACTLY what a passive-aggressive, non-verbal communication IS? And I kinda feel like "ignoring it" would entail not posting about it, but, hey, I'm no rocket scientist.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 am 
Flounceiad 2011

A former co-worker (who identifies as Christian and often posts stuff about her church-related activities, etc.) posted this, and I'm seeing every shade of red.

Really? It's just that simple: socio-economic factors, educational opportunities (or the lack thereof), race and gender bias, physical and/or psychological disabilities, and other circumstances beyond people's control play absolutely no role in whether or not they succeed or prosper (or survive, for that matter). This kind of stuff makes my head explode. It's all well and good to say that everyone should "weed their own garden," but how are they supposed to do that if they've no seeds or tools, or if there's no garden to begin with? No matter how loud the libertarians shout to the contrary, the playing field is not level, and attitudes like this foster the erosion of the social contract, and - surprise! - always to the detriment of the least advantaged. We saw how such policies played out in Thatcher's Britain, the effects of which are still being felt in many quarters (talk to my still-unretired 76 year old working-class uncle sometime, or my cousins who work two jobs, and they're all white, native born, and English). This attitude is profoundly unhumanitarian, and although I'm personally agnostic, I'm bound to say it's pretty forking unChristian.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

What's that? Pray harder, losers?

wow, that's really nice.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:07 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
What's that? Pray harder, losers?

wow, that's really nice.
Right? Whether you're hungry or poor or sick or depressed or homeless or unable to advance at work or unemployed or unable to work you need to own that.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:38 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Ugh. So I responded with pretty much what I said above in re: the playing field not being level, and not everyone starting with then same advantages, opportunities, privileges, position, etc., and this how she replied.
good christian wrote:
My reason for posting this was for the whiners who have tools and a garden and the ability to do things and sit and complain because they want others to do it for them. At some point one must take personal responsibility for the portion of their life that is within their scope to control.
I don't even know where to start/ "The whiners"? Who exactly are these "whiners"? Does she have a specific group in mind? Is this aimed at anyone in particular? What's the subtext? And how can she know what's going on with someone else, or what "portion of their life is within their scope to control"? Smug, self-righteous sh*t like this gives me a headache.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hollie wrote:
Someone posted a Someecard on Facebook that says "I see your passive aggressive non-verbal communication and I am ignoring it."

Should I just let her go on thinking that posting that is NOT 100% EXACTLY what a passive-aggressive, non-verbal communication IS? And I kinda feel like "ignoring it" would entail not posting about it, but, hey, I'm no rocket scientist.

Maybe that was the joke?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:06 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Desdemona wrote:
Ugh. So I responded with pretty much what I said above in re: the playing field not being level, and not everyone starting with then same advantages, opportunities, privileges, position, etc., and this how she replied.
good christian wrote:
My reason for posting this was for the whiners who have tools and a garden and the ability to do things and sit and complain because they want others to do it for them. At some point one must take personal responsibility for the portion of their life that is within their scope to control.
I don't even know where to start/ "The whiners"? Who exactly are these "whiners"? Does she have a specific group in mind? Is this aimed at anyone in particular? What's the subtext? And how can she know what's going on with someone else, or what "portion of their life is within their scope to control"? Smug, self-righteous sh*t like this gives me a headache.

from past experience, the whiners are usually people accepting any sort of public funding, especially if their skin color is "different".
and i say, jesus wept.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:24 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
good christian wrote:
from past experience, the whiners are usually people accepting any sort of public funding, especially if their skin color is "different". and i say, jesus wept.
In the end, I went with a "voice of liberal reason" approach: "I don't know - how can anyone presume to speak for what someone else is capable of controlling? So often people struggle with things that no one else can see or know (Lard knows I do). I'm increasingly of the mind that until I'm perfect - a remote contingency - I'm not really in a position to cast aspersions on how people who aren't me negotiate life, the universe, and everything. (And of course the irony is that if I WERE actually perfect, I wouldn't want to.)"

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:07 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

bless you for trying my dear. do you have some artesian well of unlimited patience that you draw upon? can you set me up with a shot in the arm, i'm low.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

So.. there's a racist (ethnic-ist I guess really) comment on the expat group and I am hemming and hawing on whether to ignore it or speak up. Because I don't know the person who posted it and facebook only gives me the option of blocking him or PMing him re why he's being offensive. Oddly enough his publicly viewable profile indicates he's working for the Navy in a family support position, and.. I don't know. It just doesn't sit right with me but I don't feel like starting fights on the internet today.

(The comment in question is re avoiding a certain large shopping center because members of a certain ethnic group "hang around" it)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

all groups don't have the option to report it to the moderator? (maybe that's only posts and not comments?)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

annak wrote:
So.. there's a racist (ethnic-ist I guess really) comment on the expat group and I am hemming and hawing on whether to ignore it or speak up. Because I don't know the person who posted it and facebook only gives me the option of blocking him or PMing him re why he's being offensive. Oddly enough his publicly viewable profile indicates he's working for the Navy in a family support position, and.. I don't know. It just doesn't sit right with me but I don't feel like starting fights on the internet today.

(The comment in question is re avoiding a certain large shopping center because members of a certain ethnic group "hang around" it)
Hmmm. That would bug me, too. Maybe try the disingenuous approach and ask something like, "What is it about this particular group that you perceive as objectionable? Why is that a problem? Can you say more about that?" Sometimes getting people to think through something enough to articulate it can result in a dialogue in which - even if they don't retract their original stance - they examine the topic more closely and maybe backpedal or tone down their rhetoric a little. I've actually had this tactic work on more than one occasion, and it's one way to speak up without starting a fight or saying, "That's bullshiitake" (as tempting as that may be). Anyway, just a thought!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:23 pm 
Nooch of Earl

In my experience, discussions trying to address this particular ethnic group (Roma) usually don't go well because people perceive it as a cultural group/issue and sort of defend offensive views in a way that they never would with just about any other group. I don't know if that would be the case here, but based on what I've seen discussions of stereotyping Roma people devolve into before…I'm a little hesitant.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

OOOHHHH how I don't miss the days of being an expat and having to listen to the racist imperialist shiitake other expats say. I'm having a particularly vivid memory of riding the ferry in Hong Kong one day and hearing a Brit with a cut-glass accent telling another "the thing about the Chinese is..." while surrounded by Chinese people, 90% of whom certainly heard and understood what was being said.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:01 pm 
WRETCHED

I always kind of figure that it depends on whether it is useful and could potentially have someone potentially change their opinion or if it would just end up with frustration.

When I went to Italy, our guide said things about Roma people (as well as Italians) that wasn't favorable. I figured my opinion as an outsider wouldn't change anything and it wasn't a persistent theme. Same with an older lady on the trip who grew up in South Africa who expressed concern about an area because there were lots of "Africans" (Technically she was African but she was white African and really they were Italians that were originally from a part of Africa, specifically Ethiopia). I figure that her experience growing up in a time of apartheid and where native Africans probably were not exactly happy with British colonialism trumped anything I'd potentially say.

And an opposite experience today where a mailing list I am on had 2 women bickering and one ended up saying something racist about someone off the list that they work with. I was about to step in and voice my concern but then the moderators of the list nipped it in the bud and everything went back to normal.

So yeah, it depends if you think it will change behavior or if it will end up with frustration.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
OOOHHHH how I don't miss the days of being an expat and having to listen to the racist imperialist shiitake other expats say.

yes, indeedy. or the crepe that these wonderful people tend to gather around them (locals who hate locals, expats who hate everyone, men who hate women, classist crassholes, sex tourists, etc etc....mostly lots of miserable mopers)

i don't know about your group, but in the one i mod, there doesn't seem to be anything more than just an option to report sexist/abusive/etc (which seems to go directly to Facebook somehow, not to a mod). very strange.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:51 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Someone just posted the following comment on a friend's post about new studies showing a lack of evidence for non-Celiac gluten sensitivity:

[quote]I don't agree, unless it's organic gluten, which normally doesn't affect people without celiac, if it's not organic, it most likely is laden with gmo's which alter DNA and are filled with pesticides which can cause leaky gut syndrome, IBS, irritated digestive systems,etc. because the pesticide they use is engineered to explode the stomachs of the insects who eat them, it has been known to make livestock who eats it generally sick and diseased.[/quote}

I just. I can't. I don't. Um. Ueeegh.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jordanpattern wrote:
Someone just posted the following comment on a friend's post about new studies showing a lack of evidence for non-Celiac gluten sensitivity:

Quote:
I don't agree, unless it's organic gluten, which normally doesn't affect people without celiac, if it's not organic, it most likely is laden with gmo's which alter DNA and are filled with pesticides which can cause leaky gut syndrome, IBS, irritated digestive systems,etc. because the pesticide they use is engineered to explode the stomachs of the insects who eat them, it has been known to make livestock who eats it generally sick and diseased.[/quote}

I just. I can't. I don't. Um. Ueeegh.

Lol wut

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 80  Next