| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cousin's husband posted some nonsense article about Obamacare requiring microchip implants in 2017. I found a Snopes article within like 30 seconds, posted it, and mentioned the fact that it took me 30 seconds to find and to, you know, maybe double check before you repost goofy shiitake like that.

Someone else commented that Snopes was probably right, in this case, but that that website is a bunch of bullshiitake because it's run by "left wing activists." I was just like "dats kewl." What do you even say?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

creep wrote:
Cousin's husband posted some nonsense article about Obamacare requiring microchip implants in 2017. I found a Snopes article within like 30 seconds, posted it, and mentioned the fact that it took me 30 seconds to find and to, you know, maybe double check before you repost goofy shiitake like that.

Someone else commented that Snopes was probably right, in this case, but that that website is a bunch of bullshiitake because it's run by "left wing activists." I was just like "dats kewl." What do you even say?

My cousins are pretty sure that this is a true story. When confronted with the same Snopes article, they called me a communist. They are now blocked.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm 
And you never will.

creep wrote:

Post this in reply: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/snopescom/
Or this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/intern ... xposed.htm

(both of which can also be found in like 30 seconds - HA)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:41 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh Jeebus forking fork, my mother of all people has to be the brunt of a complaint here?! Dangit! (For context, she's such a lovely amazing and talented lady whom I love to bits)

So she re-posted some shiitake that's a picture of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, it's got some long winded paragraph that is apparently a quote from Brad Pitt about how she was so ill and depressed and blah blah he thought they would break up blah blah but then he showered her with so luck love and attention and she blossomed blah blah. At the end it says: "And then I realized one thing: the woman is the reflection of her man."

SERIOUSLY.

WHAT THE fork.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
creep wrote:

Post this in reply: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/snopescom/
Or this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/intern ... xposed.htm

(both of which can also be found in like 30 seconds - HA)

haha, I wish I'd seen that before I'd responded "that's kewl, bro." Can't really come back with an actual thing after being a jerk and backing out.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:00 pm 

I private messaged her this:

"Hey mum, you know I love you a lot but I hope you can give your head a little shake and see how that Brad and Angelina thing you just posted is pretty seriously demeaning to women. " the woman is the reflection of her man"... I really hope you don't let that kind of patriarchal talk get into your head. You're so much more than that! Women, just as men, are a reflection of the countless individual experiences they have in their lifetime, their randomly assigned genetic makeup, and what they do with the combination of those two factors."

I hope I tread lightly enough, she's sooooo sensitive to critique. It's something that's come up many times before in our relationship. It's why I haven't said anything on the post itself. There's definitely going to be some processing going on after this, but I felt I could not let it slide.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

it also wasn't written by brad. (one i read a few months ago claimed he wrote it.) it is obviously written by someone who doesn't have a solid grasp of the english language, nor what kind of person brad is. (he honestly does not seem like the kind of person who would be sexist like that. and conversely, angelina doesn't seem like the kind of delicate flower that this tactic would work for either.)

::edit:: found it. http://www.snopes.com/glurge/secretoflove.asp

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:08 pm 

Ugh thank you!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:08 pm 

Ugh, situation solved. She said she kinda had a gut feeling like she shouldn't post it, but did anyways for whatever reason, and she said it was just silly fun. I explained to her why I didn't think re-posting demeaning stuff is silly or fun no matter how insignificant and she came around and deleted the post.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:36 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Good on you for saying something!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 am 
Saggy Butt

Great job at handling that situation Mars and happy to hear it didn't result in any hostility between you and your mom.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

so, there's this "cold water challenge" thing that mr. carrot was tagged in. it goes like this: challenger (who was probably a challenged at one point) tags 5 people, and those people have to not only dump ice cold water onto their heads, but they have to tag 5 other people to do the same (who in turn tag more people) or else the challenged has to donate $100 to the challenger's selected charity. if one of the people you tag follows through, that means you have to donate $100 to charity.

it rubbed me the wrong way. either you have to be the jerk and pass on the challenge to 5 other people or you have to donate $100 which you might not have. it's essentially bullying your friends into being charitable. (they have no idea how much we've already donated to charity, and how much we have in our budget for charity.) mr. carrot ended up dumping the water on himself and donating, because he didn't want to continue the chain letter. (which had the least potential to require us to have to donate money we don't have, since if he had challenged 5 people who all passed it on, we would have been required to donate $500)

this happened a few days ago, and i still feel icky.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:02 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Wow, if someone tagged me in that I would tell them to ess a dee. It would be one thing (but still annoying) if it was like, five or ten dollars but $100? I'm not dumping water on my head or passing the buck to other people.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

the water thing wasn't a big deal. (it was all the firehouse guys who were tagged, so it was like tough guy stuff) if it was only that, then it'd be all fun and good, but the addition of the bullying to donate had me clenching my fists.

especially since it's a volunteer firehouse, and they always put out all this effort to raise money, and here they are doing this peer pressure thing for unrelated charities. don't you think if the volunteers had that money that they'd be donating it to the firehouse in the first place? i have no idea how many of them bowed to the peer pressure, but i can only imagine how much money could have otherwise gone to the firehouse.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

shiitake supercarrot, I can't even start to comprehend how messed up that is. A few bucks is one thing, but $100? Talk about emotional blackmail.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:36 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Well, you don't have to do any of those things. You can just ignore a dumb Facebookery post.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

he does a lot of things he wouldn't have otherwise. he's not a boat rocker. :-( you'd think if it really was as tight knit as they claim, that someone with different views would be accepted and not shunned.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:05 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeaaah, that would be on my list of things to completely, utterly, ignore. But I'm glad it worked out OK for him.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:43 am 
Impressive boner

I've unfollowed my brother because of his pro UKIP/BNP posts. There's no reasoning with him. Something he posted today read like part of the "V For Vendetta" script.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ugh, sorry 8ball.

I think I live in a bit of a leftie bubble. Loads of people on my facebook are people I know through political stuff, and the ones that aren't either don't have vile right-wing views or don't post publicly about them.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

8ball wrote:
I've unfollowed my brother because of his pro UKIP/BNP posts. There's no reasoning with him. Something he posted today read like part of the "V For Vendetta" script.
BLECH. That's tough; I'm sorry.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:16 am 
Impressive boner

Seriously, it was like Protheroe's "damned proud" speech.

I can't understand where or how he has these views. We grew up in an ex-mining town in the north of England and he's a Thatcherite. When you present him with evidence that shows the propaganda he believes is wrong he won't even acknowledge it. It's bizarre.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

pandacookie wrote:
Well, you don't have to do any of those things. You can just ignore a dumb Facebookery post.

^YEAH. Seriously, they can't require you to do shiitake.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Not living in the US, I forgot that this is Memorial Weekend, and I'm likely to be inundated with pro-military bs from some of my family and at least one of my friends. My aunt already posted a picture with a shitty poem that had a line about "one less terrorist" (it was like that prayer children say before bed, but it was a pic of a soldier and his dog resting presumably at the end of the day).

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Someone posted this today. Nice sentiment, but is this graphic hilariously terrible or what?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 68  Next