| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
I checked Facebook this morning and was surprised (maybe a little disappointed?) not to have been bombarded with birthday posts. Then I remembered that I hid my birthday last year, because I wasn't really into people I hadn't talked to in years suddenly wanting to wish me a happy birthday. I like it.

Another thing, I get all anxious and stressed out if I send a friend request that isn't accepted within a few hours, or even the same day. Not everyone checks Facebook all day long, I know. And if someone doesn't want to be my friend, it shouldn't even be that big of a deal. Chill out, self.

Happy Birthday!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

creep wrote:
I checked Facebook this morning and was surprised (maybe a little disappointed?) not to have been bombarded with birthday posts. Then I remembered that I hid my birthday last year, because I wasn't really into people I hadn't talked to in years suddenly wanting to wish me a happy birthday. I like it.

oh! thank you. that reminds me that i wanted to make a reminder on my calendar to hide my bday a few days before. i don't mind people knowing my bday, but i really hate the fact that it takes a lot of time to acknowledge and thank the poster. i'd honestly rather spend what's supposed to be a special day relaxing instead of feeling anxious and guilty. (besides, i don't wish anyone else a happy bday. not on facebook at least. although maybe the one exception is people who have the same bday as me.)
bah! once people reach 21, birthdays are totally not important anymore. (until you then reach 65.) :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:50 am 

allularpunk wrote:
creep wrote:

Another thing, I get all anxious and stressed out if I send a friend request that isn't accepted within a few hours, or even the same day. Not everyone checks Facebook all day long, I know. And if someone doesn't want to be my friend, it shouldn't even be that big of a deal. Chill out, self.

Happy Birthday!

Yes happy birthday!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:31 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

aelle wrote:
In other social media awkwardness:

My MIL created a Pinterest account (of all social media??) just to follow me. She comments on all my pins. She is the only person ever to comment on my pins. She then calls Wally to inform him that she and I have the exact same tastes in everything, and isn't it funny that he's marrying someone just like his mom?! No, MIL, it's not funny. It's creepy. Stop saying that.

hahaha. Awkward.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Happy birthday, creep!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks guys! Funny enough, once someone who already knows my birthday posted on my wall, they came flooding in. I think people feel guilty if they don't say it? I only say it to people I'm close to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so apparently i do not have the ability to hide different pages rather than just a person.

i am one of the people who have had the new version of facebook for awhile and it does not give you that option. you can just hide that one news piece or hide the person.
my husband showed me on his facebook how you used to be able to do that and i dont have that option :-(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You can also hide certain content from certain people. So if one of your friends posts lots of images of meat or something but you still want to get their other updates, you can go to their page, drop down the "friends" button, go to "settings" and uncheck "photos" so you don't get any more of their pictures.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i gave that a whirl. i unchecked everything except status updates and photos
but i wonder if all the crepe she shares is thought of as photos.

oh well. ill see if this helps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Today I had someone say to me "Did you see so-and-so's fb status today? About [thing]?" And no, I hadn't. Then I thought about it and realised that I hadn't seen an update from so-and-so in awhile, so I went to their page, and I've obviously been put on some kind of list where I can only see a few of their updates from months ago and nothing else. I don't really care, but I have to see this person IRL occasionally, and now I'm going to wonder what I did to get myself put on a list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Today I had someone say to me "Did you see so-and-so's fb status today? About [thing]?" And no, I hadn't. Then I thought about it and realised that I hadn't seen an update from so-and-so in awhile, so I went to their page, and I've obviously been put on some kind of list where I can only see a few of their updates from months ago and nothing else. I don't really care, but I have to see this person IRL occasionally, and now I'm going to wonder what I did to get myself put on a list.

Probably nothing. Very few people (definitely less than 10) have full access to my facebook page.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I would think it was nothing if it had always been like that... but I have been fb friends with this person for a few years and saw everything on their profile up until about a month ago. Many of the statuses and photos that I could see before I can't now. And the person who alerted me to this is less acquainted with them (IRL and on fb) than I am, and can still see every status. So it feels kind of personal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It's possible that instead of *excluding* certain people they made a list that *can* see their stuff and just forgot to put you in it. I have a "personal" list that I use when I don't want everyone on the planet to see something, like political-ish things or whatever, and the biggest problem is trying to keep everyone I want on it because it's like half my fb friends.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Maybe! I have a custom list that excludes elderly relatives from seeing posts. I use it for anything even vaguely political, because the last thing I need is old people caps-lock shouting about "NObama" and "damn liberals" on my page.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, that's basically what I do but it's opt-in, not people I specifically exclude.. that way new people don't accidentally see things they shouldn't. But the downside is that I'm sure I missed people.

It's also sort of a catchall and excludes a few past coworkers/professional contacts who are kind of personal friends but I didn't necessarily want seeing updates about eg my being pregnant when I was. Nothing against them, just that I didn't necessarily want that out there with people I had any professional interaction with.

Anyway which may not have anything to do with your specific case but I would just say I wouldn't take it personally if you really don't think there's been any interaction that would've caused offense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:01 pm 

i read facebook mostly through a filter, and there have been times when i started typing a status into the bar on the filtered page and then caught myself. it's possible this friend does the same thing, but didn't realise that posting while in the filter would make it visible to only the filter.
(but then that means this person doesn't care to read your status updates. or like annak says, forgot to add you.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Doesn't Facebook also have algorithms that basically decided whose updates you see? If the person is someone whose updates you don't often comment on or like Facebook will eventually stop showing you all their posts in favor of people you interact with more. I've noticed that happens a lot with people like friends from high school that I don't really interact with, but I truly can't imagine they even care enough about me to bother filtering me out! I only notice I'm not seeing their updates when it's their birthday, really, and it sucks because once it was my old best friend from home and I had just assumed she never posted anymore! I had to make an effort to like a bunch of her stuff so Facebook would show me her updates again (I already had clicked "Show all updates" on her profile and everything and it didn't do anything until I started interacting more).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:25 am 

yeah, but RC said she went to the person's page directly and didn't see anything. it's possible there was a glitch. (waaay back, there was a glitch where i didn't see a lot of my own posts, and then they reappeared a few weeks later.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i tell you, i'm not hopeless at technology or whatever people seem to think of me since i'm over 30, but if FB would stop changing the forking rules every other day i could probably figure out who is blocked and who is not. some people i have had to block/hide over and over again because they still pop up, i just don't get it. and i only hope that the people i have hidden can still see what i'm posting, because i have a bunch of tea party family members and they must be LOVING all the stuff I've been putting up lately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 am 
WELFARIST!

If you block someone, they can't see you at all, even if they search for you. Or that's how it's supposed to be. If you've just hidden them from your feed, that's different, they can still see your stuff.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

HAHAH!! yeah, the ones i can't block forever, because they're family, i hope they're enjoying all my "why petulant old white men are destroying our country" stuff.

the blocked, for some reason, still pop up on my feed from time to time. i suspect because they are in group pages i'm on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:08 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh, ha, I can't read. But Facebook is still weird about deciding who you are really friends with!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 am 

click here, torque.

https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=blocking

blocking is really hardcore though. you might prefer to add them to the restricted list instead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:37 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh, the people i block really deserve it. i participate in some groups that are exceptionally full of crassholes. of course, the blocking doesn't apply to groups, but it does stop them from throwing buckets of shiitake on my private page or spamming me [or people i am friends with] with messages (both of which happens in the one group a lot. for some reason the expat groups attract these people in droves)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:02 am 

oh! ok, i thought you were talking about your family. (reading comprehension fail) now i understand.

i wouldn't have thought you'd be able to see stuff on groups from the blocked people. hmm. now i wonder if they can see what you post on groups.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 86  Next