| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

no, family can't be blocked, only hidden (or Face Great Consequences)- and i am pretty sure i stated it as clear as mud, as they say, my brain is fried.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think I have figured this fb situation out! Today, the person who originally brought it up said, "Do you want to see so-and-so's page? I can log in on my account and you can read it." So I did, and there were a bunch of those super vague statuses people post when they are pissed off at someone but won't name the person directly. I don't think they are about me, but I think they are about someone I am close to IRL, someone who has also been blocked from seeing recent status updates. So I think so-and-so was afraid I would figure out what the statuses meant and pass it on. It's all so immature and stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

dumb. unfriend. dust off hands. move on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Am I the only one who's having trouble getting facebook to load? It wouldn't load yesterday, but was fine last night, and now it won't load again. It doesn't even time out, it's weird.

Filters are dangerous, back in ye olde livejournale days I saw more than a few people get in a fight because one person would make a filtered post about the other person, then a mutual friend would tell them about it. I remember a particularly nasty one, the girl who was on the receiving end of the post ended up doing the same thing to me and when I realized she was filtering me out, I defriended her. And then she made a public post saying that she was relieved to have me out of her LJ friends. She never said word one as to what I was doing or writing about that she found so incredibly offensive and she was a military wife friend that lived in another state so I just brushed that shiitake off.

Filters for things you don't want a group to know, like say you don't want your whole family to know you're pregnant but want to update a few close friends, are fine. But if you do it to talk shiitake it's probably going to come back to bite you in the asparagus. If I have something so bad to say about someone that I have to share it with the world, then we're not really friends and they need to GTFO my lists.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My two cousins just blocked me on facebook. Now I am realllllly starting to look forward to Christmas dinner this year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 pm 
Impressive boner

When I really like someone that I don't see much and want to be good friends I never know how much FB contact is too much. I'm probably over-concerned over nothing as I'm only saying hi every so often and posting the odd funny link to their wall, which they do with me too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:29 pm 

8ball wrote:
When I really like someone that I don't see much and want to be good friends I never know how much FB contact is too much. I'm probably over-concerned over nothing as I'm only saying hi every so often and posting the odd funny link to their wall, which they do with me too.

if they're reciprocating, you're fine. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:39 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Am I the only one who's having trouble getting facebook to load? It wouldn't load yesterday, but was fine last night, and now it won't load again. It doesn't even time out, it's weird.

Filters are dangerous, back in ye olde livejournale days I saw more than a few people get in a fight because one person would make a filtered post about the other person, then a mutual friend would tell them about it. I remember a particularly nasty one, the girl who was on the receiving end of the post ended up doing the same thing to me and when I realized she was filtering me out, I defriended her. And then she made a public post saying that she was relieved to have me out of her LJ friends. She never said word one as to what I was doing or writing about that she found so incredibly offensive and she was a military wife friend that lived in another state so I just brushed that shiitake off.

Filters for things you don't want a group to know, like say you don't want your whole family to know you're pregnant but want to update a few close friends, are fine. But if you do it to talk shiitake it's probably going to come back to bite you in the asparagus. If I have something so bad to say about someone that I have to share it with the world, then we're not really friends and they need to GTFO my lists.

HA! I remember those olde days. I once had a roommate who told me she was totally fine with having a transgender roommate when we moved in together, then after we'd been living together for a while started making filtered posts on LJ saying all kinds of nasty stuff about "someone she lived with" specifically relating to "that person's" gender identity. I didn't actually see any of those posts but I suspected for a long time that this was going on. Well, several years later, I met someone at an LGBTQ retreat and somehow in conversation it came up that this person had been friends with "someone" who started making obnoxious posts on LJ about her transgender roommate, and this new person (a cisgender ally type person) was like "wow, I can't be friends withs someone who would say those things!" and stopped being friends (like not just "unfriended" but actually stopped being friends) with "that person", who it turned out was actually my ex-roommate, posting about me. This person and I are still really good friends, and neither of us talk to the ex-roommate!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 am 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

HA! I remember those olde days. I once had a roommate who told me she was totally fine with having a transgender roommate when we moved in together, then after we'd been living together for a while started making filtered posts on LJ saying all kinds of nasty stuff about "someone she lived with" specifically relating to "that person's" gender identity. I didn't actually see any of those posts but I suspected for a long time that this was going on. Well, several years later, I met someone at an LGBTQ retreat and somehow in conversation it came up that this person had been friends with "someone" who started making obnoxious posts on LJ about her transgender roommate, and this new person (a cisgender ally type person) was like "wow, I can't be friends withs someone who would say those things!" and stopped being friends (like not just "unfriended" but actually stopped being friends) with "that person", who it turned out was actually my ex-roommate, posting about me. This person and I are still really good friends, and neither of us talk to the ex-roommate!
UGH, that's awful, CQ. Stories like this always make me think of a great Maya Angelou line: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." It applies directly to people like your sad, hypocritical, backstabbing ex-roommate.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how do you even tell if someone has blocked or hidden you?
i dont think ive paid enough attention (cared) to notice.

just for shiitakes and giggles i would be curious to see if anyone has me hidden.
im sure a bunch of people i went to H.S. with hid me like i probably hid them, not becuase of shiitake we post but just because who cares really? i dont care what they are doing. fb is so weird.

i hid my crazy gun toting republican SIL (like Torque said cant block family) who uses FB to write thinly veiled rants about family members (i think its her family members but again i dont care) and bisque about stupid liberals (apparently she doesnt realize im a bleeding heart liberal? my parents are also pretty moderate)

sometimes i hope she doesnt realize i hid her. AWKWARD

i dont thik ive ever officially blocked anyone but ive hidden tons of people. some because i barely know them and dont care what they are doing, some becaue of their conservative posts, and some because i cant deal with their level of crazy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

If you have blocked someone, they can't see you either. At all, even in a search. You can't see anything they post, they can't see anything you post, anywhere. It's like you don't exist for each other on Facebook. I don't think people can tell if you've hidden them, only if you've hidden certain stuff from them (like with RC's friend). The people I've hidden probably get the idea, only because I never comment or like anything they post since it doesn't show up in my feed.

I only know all that stuff about blocking because I had to block my ex because he was flipping out from looking at my stuff every day, even when we were no longer friends on there. He texted and asked me if I'd deleted my Facebook, so I know he had searched for me and couldn't find me. Then one day I was told that he was losing his shiitake on there and saying tons of awful stuff about me, so I searched for him to see it, and couldn't find him. The block goes both ways! Which is good, if you really need it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This is more old person adorable than awkward. Yesterday, my dad received an award, and I posted pics and video of the awards ceremony to fb. This morning, my grandfather left a message on our answering machine, saying that his wife had "set up the computer thing" so that he could see the pictures. Then his wife left on an errand, and my grandfather "doesn't know how to send a like", so he called us to let us know that he wants to like all the photos and the video.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That is way adorable RC!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

went to go see what a friend from my old studio was up to... and i'm defriended! everyone else from the studios was still on his list, wonder what i did to be ostracized! oooh the drama!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That's really really cute, RC!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So cute, raspberrycomplaint!

The other night, my friend invited me and another friend over to her boyfriend's cabin to hang out (the bf wasn't there). She was cooking burgers for herself and our other friend, and told me something along the lines of, "Sorry I'm not cooking anything vegan, but you can help yourself to whatever." I wasn't expecting dinner and wasn't too hungry, but snacked on a few of the mushrooms that she was sauteeing to go with the burgers.

ANYWAY her bf just "friended" me on FB. I've hung out with him a few times, and he seems cool, so whatever, I accepted the friend request. But he also sent me a message saying, "So did you enjoy my organic mushrooms?" Um. . . yeah, I did? Maybe he meant for it to sound jokey/friendly, but it just struck me as a weird and slightly passive-aggressive thing to say in a message. Like, was it necessary to ask that? I just didn't respond because I didn't really know how to respond. Sorry I ate like five of YOUR mushrooms, even though your girlfriend was cooking them and made it clear that I could eat whatever I wanted to?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I wouldn't worry about the mushroom comment. He's most likely trying to make conversation. I would totally brush it off and say that they were great and compliment his cabin or something. If he friended you just to send a passive-aggressive message that'd be pretty extreme.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Nicole wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the mushroom comment. He's most likely trying to make conversation. I would totally brush it off and say that they were great and compliment his cabin or something. If he friended you just to send a passive-aggressive message that'd be pretty extreme.

Yeah you're right. He's a nice enough guy and doesn't strike me as someone who'd make passive-aggressive comments via FB message.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had accidentally restricted my status updates to a few people. Don't know how I managed it but I was wandering why I wasn't feeling the love all that much anymore.

I'm sure I have gotten a few deletes because of it. Ah well!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 am 
So Totally Yiffy

My own personal fb awkwardness: When someone sends me a friend request who I am not interested in being "friends" with (usually old hs classmates) I let the requests pile up rather than declining them because I feel bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 am 
WRETCHED

Those people won't get reject notices

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I have a large extended family and my dad's cousins daughter who is like I dunno 10 or 12 repeatedly sends me friend requests. At first I accepted it but then I got sick of all the stuff she posted so I hid her then I started getting email game requests so I was like fork this and unfriended her. I have no idea how you even know when someone has unfriended you but within like 2 hours she sent me a new friend request. I declined it and she sent me another. I declined like 3 friend requests before I realized if you just ignore it they can't send smother one so now I just let friend requests I don't want rot in my inbox or whatever it's called

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh my god the game requests. just when i think i have "turned off all requests" there are more requests. And it is all from ONE PERSON.

i post a lot of stuff about Fukushima and post-earthquake-nuclear Japan. It's where some of the best times of my life took place, more of my hometown than where I live in the US currently. A friend of mine is walking across Japan right now to raise awareness that there are still people living in trailers and still radioactive leakage and all sorts of other horrors. My online friends are supportive, but my family has all sorts of offline snark about how i should only be posting homegrown tragedy. le sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:27 am 

you should be able to block all game requests from individual people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 am 

ok, so is it just me, or does it seem passive aggressive when someone @mentions your name in a comment thread you're already participating in? (especially if the post was started by the person who @mentions you, and there are only a few comments, so it wouldn't get lost.)

i mean, i suppose they themselves might have turned off all notifications of all responses to posts not made on their own walls, so maybe that's their way of making sure you get the response (in case you also turned off those types of notifications), but it just seems... confrontational to me. i always read it as if danny mcbride was saying it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 80  Next