| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Kiddo wrote:
"Look at these snowflakes and just try to deny that God exists!" shared on a post of macro photos of snowflakes. I wanted to get so snarky but I didn't.

"sure, but i'd rather ask people to try and deny that snowflakes aren't a sheet of a bunch of highly polar molecules comprised of 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen atoms that naturally form a 60 degree angle."
magnets! how do they work!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:49 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

supercarrot wrote:
Kiddo wrote:
"Look at these snowflakes and just try to deny that God exists!" shared on a post of macro photos of snowflakes. I wanted to get so snarky but I didn't.

"sure, but i'd rather ask people to try and deny that snowflakes aren't a sheet of a bunch of highly polar molecules comprised of 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen atoms that naturally form a 60 degree angle."

<3

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:03 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I really am thinking about shutting down my FB for a few weeks. the family back at home have heard that i'm coming back to brazil and i'm getting all these requests for purchases from people that i literally only hear from when they want me to bring them swag.
today, my niece, who i've seen three times in the last ten years, and i don't even know her last name or her city of residence anymore, had the brass balls to tell me i "should bring a PS4 for her because Gram [my mother in law] wants one." I know for a fact that my mother in law doesn't even know what the hell a PS4 is. of course, the exchange rate is also ridonkulous, and the customs duties so onerous that if i get caught, it would cost me more than both my plane tickets to liberate the PS4 from customs. (also, Baggy is not allowed to have one, and has decreed that if she can't have one, can't nobody have one. Works for me.)
nope, nope, and nope.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:03 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Oh torque. So rude (family not you). I have family members I will not add for just that reason.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well i gave her a cheery "we're already well above our limit" and got back a cheery "don't worry about it" which is definitely not par for how these convos usually go. now, we wait for shoe #2 to drop.... i smell treachery! [i did double check that there was no way that my mother in law was involved, i do not take chances with teh mother in law....]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

torque wrote:
i just would like to state for the record that mentally, and occasionally out loud, i call Facebook Feebee. Like Phoebe. that is all.

In my mind, I call this thread "the facebawkwardness thread". I do not know why I decided to run the two words together!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

FACEBAWK!! BAGAWK!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

A Facebook friend of mine just posted a picture of what I finally figured out is his father's gravestone. His father had the same name as he has.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:12 pm 

i don't remember if i posted this in this thread yet, but it really makes me feel extremely uncomfortable that people @mention their friends in comments that say nothing else but the friends' names. (this usually occurs on someone's post that are asking whether they know someone with a certain skill, or if they're looking to sell something or whatever.)

the share button is RIGHT THERE! do these people not know that they can change the dropdown box to be a private message instead of posting on their own timelines?

(clutter makes me stressed out, and this is totally the internet equivalent of clutter. what about all of the comment readers' feelings? on certain posts, they have to sift through scads of names in order to find meaningful conversations.) ALSO!!!! what about your friends' feelings? what if you do this on a public post that has potential embarrassing consequences? someone can google your friend's name, and it might show that post!! be a good netizen and PM your friends instead of spamcasting their names on the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:58 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I know this issue was addressed at some length upthread but YE GODS, one friend's vaguebooking is driving me up the wall. I mean, seriously - how are people meant to respond to stuff like this? (Her chronic abuse of the ellipsis is...another topic...entirely…)
Quote:
Is really, really, really done with useless people...
Quote:
...sometimes...you really understand the impetus to kick people...hard...in the head...with a steel-toed boot…
Quote:
OH…YES…
Quote:
damn…
Quote:
Screw this...
And then of course you get the people who dutifully respond with things like "What's going on?" "Hope everything's okay!" etc., but receive no further information. As it is, I just ignore it, but it's so cravenly, blatantly, passive-aggressively attention-seeking that I may have to hide her before I snap and post something snarky.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:35 pm 
Semen Strong

People who always have to one up you are the best.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:55 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
i don't remember if i posted this in this thread yet, but it really makes me feel extremely uncomfortable that people @mention their friends in comments that say nothing else but the friends' names. (this usually occurs on someone's post that are asking whether they know someone with a certain skill, or if they're looking to sell something or whatever.)

the share button is RIGHT THERE! do these people not know that they can change the dropdown box to be a private message instead of posting on their own timelines?

(clutter makes me stressed out, and this is totally the internet equivalent of clutter. what about all of the comment readers' feelings? on certain posts, they have to sift through scads of names in order to find meaningful conversations.) ALSO!!!! what about your friends' feelings? what if you do this on a public post that has potential embarrassing consequences? someone can google your friend's name, and it might show that post!! be a good netizen and PM your friends instead of spamcasting their names on the internet.

I do this sometimes if I want to specifically tag certain people for whom I know the post is relevant and/or when I think it's likely they won't see the post otherwise, but still want to make it a public post because it's something I think is likely will be relevant for other people to but I'm not thinking of them off the top of my head. Like, if I'm looking for someone with a certain skill, and I know that Friend 1, Friend 2, and Friend 3 have that skill, I want to tag them to make sure they see the post, but I have 1733 other FB friends who might have that skill too but I don't know that they do or I forgot. Now, if I'm asking about a potentially embarrassing thing, maybe I'd be a little more careful about asking them publicly, but if it's something I would comfortably ask people about in a public place in real life, I'm comfortable asking them about it in a public place on the internet too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 am 

i'm talking about comments on someone else's page/a non-person's page (but what you're talking about, tagging people directly in a post that isn't necessarily about that person weirds me out too, since every single one of their friends will see the post. seems selfish and center-of-atteniony to me. if i am making a post on my own page, and i want to make sure friends see it, i would make the post and then mention them in the comments, thereby bypassing the awkwardness for all involved.)

this is a classic example of what i was trying to explain: https://www.facebook.com/Vasalgel/posts/676931422330688 (but lately, facebook has been organizing them by "top comments" presumably because people started doing the @mentioning. at least now they're all mostly shoved down to the bottom.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Friend's post: Stupid America, why can't you just use the metric system like everyone else.

Only comment on post: what the fizzle HELL WITH THAT!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:01 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband posted his first funny picture of our dog on FB and I want people to like it.so much because its such a reach for him as he is quite shy.... I really adore my partner right now.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
WRETCHED

My husband doesn't care to post on Facebook but the funny thing is he likes if I post pictures on his page and people like it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 am 

Tofulish wrote:
My husband posted his first funny picture of our dog on FB and I want people to like it.so much because its such a reach for him as he is quite shy.... I really adore my partner right now.

I liked it before you even told me to like it! Because, like, I actually liked it! ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 am 
Semen Strong

I didn't tell you to like anything :) I am not the boss of you :) Or else, I'd have hot and cold running scones and brie!

I love it and I love him, and I just think its so cute how excited he is about it. And much love to all my PPK friends who liked it :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:30 am 

(this comment removed by request of person quoted in comment)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
I didn't tell you to like anything :) I am not the boss of you :) Or else, I'd have hot and cold running scones and brie!

I love it and I love him, and I just think its so cute how excited he is about it. And much love to all my PPK friends who liked it :)

That's a great picture! And I like his cheeky spoof of the Footprints story!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

This girl on my face who I'm not really friends with posted a status that was something like only female out of all the employees at her job and how she was okay with that and then the weird part was the hashtags that followed.

#‎family‬ ‪#‎work‬ ‪#‎acceptmeandmyflaws‬ ‪#‎forgive‬ ‪#‎love‬ ‪#‎neverjudge‬ ‪#‎holidayparty‬

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:26 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Fee wrote:
This girl on my face who I'm not really friends with posted a status that was something like only female out of all the employees at her job and how she was okay with that and then the weird part was the hashtags that followed.

#‎family‬ ‪#‎work‬ ‪#‎acceptmeandmyflaws‬ ‪#‎forgive‬ ‪#‎love‬ ‪#‎neverjudge‬ ‪#‎holidayparty‬

i . . . what?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:48 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

#hashtagtoomuch

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:49 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

#panda #cookie #good #evil #cats #peppermintchocolatesoymilk #wheresthebeef #lookatme

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:51 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

#neverjudging

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 70  Next