| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:58 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pamela Anderson and Sam Simon are here protesting the seal hunt and now my facebook is exploding with pro-seal fur statuses.

Stop coming here, celebrities! You're just making everyone want to go buy seal to spite you! Our fishing industry will just utterly collapse before you know it anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My very redneck (but otherwise sweet!) cousin posted an image that said something about supporting that Duck Dynasty guy who said all that terrible homophobic, racist shiitake and "Shame on A&E" for cutting him from the show. I thought maybe he hadn't actually read what the guy said, and kind of paraphrased for him and told him it was pretty bad.

His wife who I haven't really even met jumped in with some shiitake about her great great granddaddy owning slaves and treating them right and I was just like WHOAAA, backing out now. Like, so caught off guard I didn't even know what to say (which I said), and she's just like "I read it and didn't find anything offensive."

I was going to copy and paste the actual conversation for you guys, but my cousin took down the post. He has more sense than I realized.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:09 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

creep wrote:
His wife who I haven't really even met jumped in with some shiitake about her great great granddaddy owning slaves and treating them right and I was just like WHOAAA, backing out now. Like, so caught off guard I didn't even know what to say (which I said), and she's just like "I read it and didn't find anything offensive."

what the fizzle?! I don't even..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:49 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I've started having issues with Facebook this year. Like the people I'm "friends" with on there are supposed to be friends, right? And in real life, we are. But Facebook does something strange or skews things and makes friends seem like frenemies. Like people seem sassier (well, BITCHIER) on there. I don't care at all about sassy posts, but I do care when people post bisque-y comments or if you comment on something and are perfectly nice (which I think I am 99% of the time--I'm not saying 100%, because maybe there's stuff I'm forgetting) and someone responds in a bisque-y manner. Now it's possible the person isn't being bisque-y at all, and it just seems like it. I never had these issues until this year though. I'm like "how do I know these folks are my friends?" I would totally unfriend them, BUT we're friends in real life or were, so that's not something I want to do.

Have you felt this Facebook effect? It also works where things are misinterpreted, like you are completely agreeing with someone, and that person thinks you're not agreeing and you're arguing or being a dick. I'm kind of sick of it all right now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that is par for the internet. Tone gets lost so easily, and its easy for things to get misinterpreted.

I had something like that happen, and an IRL friend defriended me for a few months. Then I contacted her and we talked it out, and it really was the silliest misunderstanding. I don't know what you can do to avoid that though, except be as careful as you can when you post and use emoticons :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:21 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

There are a lot of people on the facebooks today who are UPSET about Duck Dynasty.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:59 pm 
A Bad Person

bastah wrote:
I've started having issues with Facebook this year. Like the people I'm "friends" with on there are supposed to be friends, right? And in real life, we are. But Facebook does something strange or skews things and makes friends seem like frenemies. Like people seem sassier (well, BITCHIER) on there. I don't care at all about sassy posts, but I do care when people post bisque-y comments or if you comment on something and are perfectly nice (which I think I am 99% of the time--I'm not saying 100%, because maybe there's stuff I'm forgetting) and someone responds in a bisque-y manner. Now it's possible the person isn't being bisque-y at all, and it just seems like it. I never had these issues until this year though. I'm like "how do I know these folks are my friends?" I would totally unfriend them, BUT we're friends in real life or were, so that's not something I want to do.

Have you felt this Facebook effect? It also works where things are misinterpreted, like you are completely agreeing with someone, and that person thinks you're not agreeing and you're arguing or being a dick. I'm kind of sick of it all right now.

Some people are just horrible at the internet and social networking and and presenting themselves as an actual person. They say things on Facebook that come off as entirely inappropriate or unacceptable when they're not that bad in person. I don't think anyone should take being un-friended on Facebook all that personally. It's not the real world. It's just a dumb website.

Tofulish wrote:
use emoticons :)

I am instantly suspicious of the sincerity of anyone who uses emoticons. Especially smiley faces and winking. They're impossible to interpret because they're not real expressions or emotions. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but they always come off to me as veiled sarcasm or condescension.

(Tofulish, I'm definitely not applying this to you! Just my thoughts on emoticon use in general since you brought them up.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is interesting! I've just had too many people misread a joking tone and get really upset. And a smiley face has seemed to help.

As an example, I posted a picture of Leela watching her bird feeder saying "Who needs Sesame Street?" And got a comment about how sure television isn't the best thing but it isn't the worst and who am I to judge if she lets her child watch a little Sesame Street while she makes dinner for her family.

I am now going to post smiley faces all over your FB posts :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Fee wrote:
There are a lot of people on the facebooks today who are UPSET about Duck Dynasty.

Oh my gosh, yes. So many fb fights in my feed over this guy. One of my friends immediately went and liked pages called "Support Phil Robertson" (or whatever the fork his name is), and "Phil Robertson for President". I was really shocked about that, because my friend never struck me as the kind of person who would support a total bigot. So now I feel like it's going to be awkward the next time I see her IRL, because I know I'm going to be thinking about that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:45 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, I saw an aunt posting about how a lot of people feel that way etc, and it just seems so weird and mean-spirited when I know several non-straight family members can see it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Every every every time I see this thread go by, I read the title as "Facebook Awareness." And then I wonder if we're supposed to be wearing puce ribbons or something.

I have this acquaintance from high school who I should just block already. She will not shut the fork up about the fact that she is pregnant and pregnant with a BOY and BOY BOY BOY ermagerd BOY here is a junk shot in ultrasound OMG I AM GOING TO HAVE A BOY BABY!1!1!!! team blue 4eva!!! It extra forking kills me because she has two daughters already and from the way she has been posting about this, you would think they were chopped liver. It's like the most stereotypical Facebook annoyance but still uuuugh.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yep, my blood is boiling over the stupid duck dynasty guy. Why do people think that claiming "free speech" makes it okay? fork that crasshole!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:02 pm 
Semen Strong

C&S a FB friend of mine is pregnant with her fourth and is posting about FINALLY getting her boy #onlytookfour tries #finallydone #gotmyboy. Its great she is so happy but she has three lovely little girls, not failed boy attempts. I know she is hoping that it brings her and her husband closer because now he will finally have his boy, which is just so sad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:38 pm 
Semen Strong

C&S a FB friend of mine is pregnant with her fourth and is posting about FINALLY getting her boy #onlytookfour tries #finallydone #gotmyboy. Its great she is so happy but she has three lovely little girls, not failed boy attempts. I know she is hoping that it brings her and her husband closer because now he will finally have his boy, which is just so sad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Duck dynasty thing really shouldn't have been a surprise to anybody, least of all A&E. I mean, the family seems super likable on the surface, but their religious beliefs have been more or less common knowledge for ages, and there were or are videos of him preaching on You Tube, fire and brimstone, fundamentalist stuff. They have also published various religious and bible study books.

A&E was just hoping this side of them wouldn't come out, but they knew it was there. Hypocrites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The DD thing is proving to be a great filter for who I unfriend. It feels so good.

This is from several pages back now, but I can't stop calling fb feebee.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

last week i got a duck dynasty gift bag for my dad (it says "ho ho ho, jack" it was a no-brainer, even though i have no idea if he watches it) i'm thinking of printing a little disclaimer sticker to put on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The Duck Dynasty thing is teaching me which of my Facebook friends really don't understand how the whole freedom of speech thing works.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 pm 

I saw one really good post that was in reference to someone calling him a bigot where they were arguing that he is not a bigot because "if I hate animal abusers, then am I a bigot?"

I had to fight the urge to answer "probably"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tzippy wrote:
The Duck Dynasty thing is teaching me which of my Facebook friends really don't understand how the whole freedom of speech thing works.
As the author of this piece points out, "no clause in the First Amendment establishes a right to star in a reality show on A&E regardless of what you say to GQ about vaginas and anuses."

http://www.businessinsider.com/bobby-ji ... z2nzFBnTwQ

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh Bobby Jindal. As a South Asian I feel so embarrassed by him and by Dinesh D'souza. Also "he thinks A&E is part of Congress" made me laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:38 pm 

Not only did he comment stupidly on it, the next day he facebooked about it. Everyone was kind of like "oh hey, maybe you should at least pretend to be focused on more important things"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This person that I'm acquaintances with IRL posts all the time about how broke she is. Stuff like not being able to pay rent or buy groceries for a week. She finally got a job a month or two ago, and she's posting about not having enough money to put gas in her car to get to work. It would be kind of a bummer, but she'll also post about shopping and going out to eat all the time. Oh, and she just bought a PS4.

Maybe don't buy a $400 gaming system if you can't pay your bills? Or at least don't tell everyone about it and make us feel weird...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I don't like adding people that I've only met once and I'm unlikely to talk to again and I feel a bit bad about it.

Also, why do people I don't know at all and have maybe one mutual friend send friend requests?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 77  Next