| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Fake Meat"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:09 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hello Fellow Vegans! :) I'm sorry if I missed a thread about this already--I tried to search for one but couldn't find one. I was wondering if anyone feels self-conscious when eating "Fake meat" products in public places, such as veggie burgers and vegan chicken nuggets. I have had numerous surprised comments made by my classmates or friends who assumed I suddenly stopped being a vegan, which is ridiculous because they understand how passionate I am about environmental science, conservation, and animal rights. I now feel a bit strange eating these "fake meat" products in public just because I want to make sure I do not give the wrong impression of my lifestyle to others and somehow lessen the educational/advocacy effect my veganism has on others. I love when they ask me about it, because I can share these delicious vegan cruelty-free and environmentally-friendly "versions" of their favorite familiar foods. However, some people simply give me questioning glances and, perhaps, assume I am not really a vegan. Does anyone relate/have any advice? Thank you so much for your thoughts/input. I really appreciate this community :)

Post subject: Re: "Fake Meat"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm always happy to point out that I'm eating something vegan, because letting people know that there are vegan burgers, pizzas, tacos, etc. lets them know that going vegan isn't as limiting as they imagine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

"This is totally fake! Want to try one?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:50 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

If they're giving you side-eye, that's their problem. To me it's like someone trying to get me to cop to wearing leather shoes or a woolen sweater or something- why is my commitment to veganism their concern? I/you don't have any obligation to reassure someone that we're living our ethics. You've said you are and you know you are and that should be good enough!

tl;dr: Don't feel obliged to explain your meal or principles every time you see someone looking your way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I find most people who don't think about vegetarianism or veganism never remember that I don't eat animal products. My boss in particular will hand be a bag of beef jerky in the car but then make every effort to make sure a work meeting place will have vegan options, but then he took me and a coworker to a seafood place once because he assumed I eat fish. I don't really care about eating fakey stuff--but if someone asked I would totally understand where it becomes uncomfortable. But really; don't sweat it. Some people will be curious about veganism but unfortunately many will not, so who cares what you look like to the people who have zero interest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:17 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
If they're giving you side-eye, that's their problem. To me it's like someone trying to get me to cop to wearing leather shoes or a woolen sweater or something- why is my commitment to veganism their concern? I/you don't have any obligation to reassure someone that we're living our ethics. You've said you are and you know you are and that should be good enough!

tl;dr: Don't feel obliged to explain your meal or principles every time you see someone looking your way.
Yep.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:10 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I would not worry if anyone thought I was not 'really' a vegan ... who cares what they think?

I talk to people at work about what I am eating, if they enquire or I see an odder than usual glance ...

I point out the many benefits of a vegan diet ... I work full time & have not had a day off ill in 17 years ... not that shuts them up ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Ask them for their Vegan Police badge number and say you're going to report them to HQ.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:48 am 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
Ask them for their Vegan Police badge number and say you're going to report them to HQ.
I love this idea; totally using it at the first opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

No, I don't feel like I am perpetuating eating real meat as ok, just because I am eating a faux replacement in public. But then again, I am also they type of vegan that wears a lot of fake leather products. I believe more in encouraging awesome replacements, however there are some vegans that are against that. Some feel that faux leather, wool, meat, event dairy perpetuates the ideas that consuming or using animal products is ok. And I can see that side, honestly. I just think we can get more people to ditch animal products with fantastic substitutions.

Semi off topic:
When i happen to be in a restaurant with friends/colleagues, and I order something that has a meat analogue, I get the whole "Why eat FAKE MEAT? I don't get it. You're vegan. Don't you hate meat? I am ok with vegans except that you eat FAKE MEAT" etc. Sure we have all heard this at one time or another.

Recently I explained to someone that we still like dishes that have the component of meat, since many of us still like dishes that feature meat as a staple. Especially American cuisine. Often it is a Meat, Starch and Veggie. So i need to replace the meat component. It was a good explanation, well received, and I will go with it from now on. Although i am irritated to no end lately when my food is examined by everyone in the room when I am trying to eat.

Also, it is amusing when people get literally offended by faux meats or dairy products. Actually OFFENDED.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:02 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

When I was a Mormon, I worried a lot about giving people the wrong impression; what if someone saw me drinking sparkling grape juice and thought it was alcohol? What if someone saw me walk into a coffee shop and assumed I'd be getting coffee?

Life is hard enough without trying to read minds. Talk to the curious people, when you're up for it, and let mean people be mean by themselves.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Actually, this just happened to me on Sunday. I went to a dinner party hosted by my boss and brought a Tofurkey sausage & veggie saute because I knew there wouldn't be a protein dish for my husband or me. I shared our dish with the whole group and my coworkers were so confused about the vegan bringing a meat dish. I let them know it was a veggie-based meat (I didn't say "fake"). They were really impressed and kept complimenting the food.

The only people who would notice me eating veggie meat are the people who know I'm vegan and they are usually surprised enough to comment. If someone is looking at you strangely, why not be direct and ask them what's up? It makes life so much easier if you address people's weirdness head on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm now intrigued why this has never occurred to me before. I eat "fake" meat all of the time...and it never occurred to me to think about what other people think I'm eating.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:31 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my family (in the US) gets in my face about it constantly. In the "we`ve just caught you!" kind of way. SAUSAGE? I thought you were vegan? Your coffee is not black! I thought you were vegan! Seriously, I have been vegan for maybe 10 years next spring, and it still continues. Little patience remains for me in this department now, just snark.

Yet I think there is a lot of good that can come from it- many people have food limitations and imagine they will be limited to kale and almonds for the rest of their lives til they see a vegan eating something they thought they would never touch again. One of the great joys of being vegan has been having friends who are egg-allergic and lactose intolerant come to my house. One person at thanksgiving this year told me she hadn`t had pumpkin pie in years. Another's kid had never had chocolate chip cookies. I don't want to be all hope-and-change-y but there is hope for people. Of course it means you have to talk to people (and risk the jerks), but good things can come from it too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I at least sort of get where you're coming from, in that any time you belong to a minority class, there's this weird pressure on you to be a constant ambassador for that class. Further, even, because people expect you to compensate for the ignorance of others. While, as another poster once said in an unrelated thread "there is value in being publicly vegan" or something to that effect, I ultimately agree with the other posters. If they say something, it's a great opportunity to introduce the idea of fake meat, and some people are genuinely astounded to discover the existence of ethical vegans. If they don't, that's kind of their problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I don't have a problem with fake meat and will happily eat it in private or public. People who already know I am vegan will probably ask and I get the chance to say 'yes, isn't it great, you can still eat meat and no animal has to die!', and people who don't know I am vegan are not likely to have an opinion on what I am eating anyway.

I do find that it is sometimes hard to explain the fake meat concept though. I've recently made some seitan sausages I am really pleased with and mentioned it to my mum. She asked how I made them. Not surprisingly, it was tricky to convince her that a sausage made with a flour made from the proteiny bit of wheat was going to work :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:25 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think this article sums it up nicely for me http://cadryskitchen.com/2013/03/13/if- ... like-meat/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:46 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thank you so much for all of your responses! I really appreciate everyone's opinion and thoughtful (and often humorous) insight <3 I will practice some of those responses...and I feel better knowing that other vegans are going through the same situations as well :)