| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another tale of working sucking
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've been at my current place of employment for a year December 5. I am a social worker for a non-profit doing home based case management and family counseling. They also have me doing intakes, and data analysis. It was all hunky dory, or as much as such a job can get, until my supervisor quit in September. At that time one of my co-workers became my supervisor, which I was ok with because for the past 10 months, I was pretty much self-sufficient. In fact, the reason I got transferred to this co-worker with a new supervisory role was that I am self-maintaining and don't really need supervision. I was my former supervisor's favorite because I never needed anything and I did my job well and correctly. I'd get a progress note or two back with a correction, sometimes a service plan would get tweaked, but if she was busy and a deadline was coming up, she'd just say "I trust you, just submit it" because they were accepted pretty much all the time.

Well now I'm fighting to get through days without telling my supervisor off. She is condescending, and makes me do things that I don't agree with, like basically babysitting clients when I was trained that my job was to teach people to take care of their own damn families so we don't have to. She will bug me multiple times a day until I do dumb stuff. I get about half my notes back with corrections, and I've gotten the same service plan back three times with corrections. I'm spending hours now correcting work that was fine in the first place. It takes her so long to approve my service plans that it ends up being a mad rush with her getting annoyed that it isn't submitted when I gave it to her two weeks in advance of the deadline. They track our home visits in 6 wk intervals. Last interval I had the 2nd highest visits made at 79%. Last night the program director showed me my numbers for the 6 wks that just passed -- I'm in first with 96%. All my paperwork is completed at the end of the week and handed in on time. Always. I work my butt off for almost no money and I'm good at my job and I'm treated like I'm incompetent. I don't even dislike my work, it's this administrative nonsense that's making me want to punch my fist through a wall. The directors admitted that my supervisory situation was poor but said they had no alternatives right now. This was about a month ago. At this point I'm so miserable I've been thinking of quitting with no job lined up... though a friend of mine is trying to get me a research job with her agency, since that's really what I want to be doing anyway. I'm trying to decide whether I should go back to them and be like "no really, this needs to change now" or just wait and see if I can get this other job and cite poor supervision in my exit interview as the reason they lost their best worker.

Thank you for letting me rant. I think my husband is tired of hearing it.

Post subject: Re: Another tale of working sucking
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

That is so horrid...

I would go to your above people and tell them that the situation needs to change or you'll leave. The worst they can do is ask you to hand in your letter of resignation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:40 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Nickalya wrote:
That is so horrid...

I would go to your above people and tell them that the situation needs to change or you'll leave. The worst they can do is ask you to hand in your letter of resignation.

I concur. It sounds as though they are aware that they have a horrible person in that position. For them to say there is no option is lazy.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:58 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

kfad wrote:
Nickalya wrote:
That is so horrid...

I concur. It sounds as though they are aware that they have a horrible person in that position. For them to say there is no option is lazy.

They are. I guess my concern, at this point, is saying "change this or I'm leaving" and then they change it and I get this other job then I say "Oh haha I'm leaving anyway." Just doesn't seem right to me. I'm trying to hold out until I see if I can get this other job or not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:57 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

That sucks. I hope either the other job works out for you or they fix this situation for you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Other people are obviously not caring if they put a wrench in your life by leaving you in a situation that is bad for you. Trying to hold out is good only as long as it isn't hurting you too much. When you reach the point where you really can't take it any longer, do *not* feel guilty about telling them to change the situation or you leave.

You going out of your way to save them money (your wages while you look for another job) time (their having to deal with this) and their sanity (at the loss of your own) is not beneficial to you and when it stops being 'worth' what you're going through, do not feel guilty about putting them in an inconvenient spot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've walked out on jobs where someone above me has made a poor decision, directly affecting my work life, or future there.
I wouldn't recommend it. Doesn't matter where you work honestly, people are going to suck, and stupid people will be placed above you. What matters is that someone knows that you are doing your job well, and that your situation sucks. Leaving for a research job is great, but don't expect it to be Eden either. Grass is always greener.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wyvern wrote:
I've walked out on jobs where someone above me has made a poor decision, directly affecting my work life, or future there.
I wouldn't recommend it. Doesn't matter where you work honestly, people are going to suck, and stupid people will be placed above you. What matters is that someone knows that you are doing your job well, and that your situation sucks. Leaving for a research job is great, but don't expect it to be Eden either. Grass is always greener.

I've had a job consistently since I was about 17. I'm 31. I know that there are always going to be stupid people at jobs, and idiot bosses, and lousy co-workers. I've put up with many bad jobs, and flat out rip roaring insane bosses. I actually expect the research job to be mind numbing, especially since I would be spending some days with absolutely no human contact. I never said anything about expecting it, or any job, to be Eden. With the job I have now, however, I am managing the lives of up to EIGHTEEN families. It is hard work, and often dangerous, or heartbreaking, or frustrating on it's own without the additional stress of being micromanaged and babysat and nagged and berated when you don't need to be. I had a supervisor here for ten months who did none of those things. They are unnecessary and unprofessional. That is my point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I guess I've been pretty bitter recently, I apologize. I merely wanted to express my sympathy. I hope it gets better for you, cause it sounds pretty crappy as it is right now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:06 am 
Semen Strong

rabidchild wrote:
kfad wrote:
Nickalya wrote:
That is so horrid...

They are. I guess my concern, at this point, is saying "change this or I'm leaving" and then they change it and I get this other job then I say "Oh haha I'm leaving anyway." Just doesn't seem right to me. I'm trying to hold out until I see if I can get this other job or not.

I would say that your first duty is to make sure you and Brett are happy and provided for, so in your shoes I would still say "change it or I am leaving" along with looking for another job and not wait for them to work it out on their own, because your job situation sounds horrible - not only is your excellent work not recognized but you're spending so much time doing un-necessary "make-work" because your "supervisor" is insecure in her new role and feels like she has to show you who is boss. You've raised it to the proper authorities, and its really up to them to respond.

Now that they know that you are unhappy, they also know that if they respond too slowly they risk losing a good employee, so if they are not rushing to rectify the situation, frankly, they aren't valuing you particularly highly. If they did, they would talk to your current supervisor and perhaps move you back under your previous supervisor while things shake out.

I am not saying that to make you feel worse about your situation, which sucks, but just that honestly, your employers aren't being particularly loyal to you if they would allow a bad situation to persist, so I wouldn't feel bad about leaving, even if they change things. Those things need to be changed whether you stay or not.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:45 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Really sorry you are dealing with this. It always saddens me when I hear of someone who is working so hard and doing a great job, only to get treated like crepe by some lame boss who got the job because they've been there long enough. By letting superiors know that you are unhappy was good. It in their hands now. When I've been in that situation, I have asked myself, do I really want to be here anymore, even if they fix the situation? Do I think they will fix the situation, and when might that happen? If I wanted to give them a chance, I would decide for me what an appropriate amount of time to wait would be. I would probably approach them again to see what the status was. I don't think I would threaten them with leaving because, if they were going to do something, they would do it. I don't think your threat to leave would change their actions.
If I decided it was time to go, I would put all my efforts into job hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

:/ wow...

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
I would say that your first duty is to make sure you and Brett are happy and provided for, so in your shoes I would still say "change it or I am leaving" along with looking for another job and not wait for them to work it out on their own, because your job situation sounds horrible - not only is your excellent work not recognized but you're spending so much time doing un-necessary "make-work" because your "supervisor" is insecure in her new role and feels like she has to show you who is boss. You've raised it to the proper authorities, and its really up to them to respond.

Now that they know that you are unhappy, they also know that if they respond too slowly they risk losing a good employee, so if they are not rushing to rectify the situation, frankly, they aren't valuing you particularly highly. If they did, they would talk to your current supervisor and perhaps move you back under your previous supervisor while things shake out.

I am not saying that to make you feel worse about your situation, which sucks, but just that honestly, your employers aren't being particularly loyal to you if they would allow a bad situation to persist, so I wouldn't feel bad about leaving, even if they change things. Those things need to be changed whether you stay or not.

Unfortunately, the reason I have this new supervisor is the old one quit (after being there nearly 5 years. I don't know how she stood it that long!!). I've been looking for another job for a few months and of course, the job market is still terrible. I could probably get a job with another agency doing exactly what I'm doing now, but it took me like six months to get into a reliable pattern with my clients and form the kinds of relationships with them that allow me to do my job well and starting that again seems daunting. I'm hoping my friend's optimism about this job where she works is backed in reality, since she seems pretty convinced that they'd hire me (since they sent her out to find someone), and I don't have to give my job ultimatums that I might actually have to follow through on. We could do ok on one income, but I've been building savings so I can actually quit working for a while when we have a kid in a year or two and I'd hate to give that up because I'm being pissy about my job now. I guess I just really resent being put in this situation when I'm doing everything right. I should be allowed to do my job and not have someone breathing down my neck all the time. I think you're right about her feeling like she needs to be "boss" to me. Also, her work is never done on time and the director of the program compliments me to her all the time and I think that has caused some conflict on her end that the person she is supervising is doing a better job than she is, and she feels like she has to find a way to supervise me, even if that's creating busy work.