| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What number is Vegan in your self-description?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:26 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

artist, witticism wrangler, cat fancier, plush overlord, biker, creative, baker, peppermint chocolate soymilk drinking champion, ethical striver, word player, slayer of nazguls

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

VeganinBerlin wrote:
And how do you know my race or if I'm a minority? I'm bisexual, too, but I'd feel really strange putting this as an identifier.

I think this is just me having mental issues where I associate labeling of some sorts with seperation and discrimination. Maybe grouping people into seperated fields which bounderaies have such (often negative) powers in this society just scares me a bit. I'm sorry I brought this up. I just read through the thread and wrote what I thought without filtering, which is a mistake and has happened to me before on here.

I want to add another perspective to this. Your mind immediately goes to something incredibly negative, but for me, I find it to be a definition of what that person finds important, what ze is passionate about.
Labels mean something- they're defining characteristics we assign to ourselves to show how we want to be portrayed to those around us. People who say "I'm not into labels" bother me because it means they aren't into telling me who they are.
When I tell someone I am a woman, a vegan, bisexual, an English major, a pianist, a guitarist, a Seattleite...all of those things define who I am and what I love because they are what I want to show people about me. Then, others can relate to me in many ways by knowing these things I feel so strongly about as part of who I am as a person in the world. This is a way for me to relate to others.

Yes, there is, of course, the flip side of using labels against others in often detrimental and horrible ways, but so long as we are only labeling ourselves, I don't find it bad at all.

Anyway, to answer the initial question:
Vegan is first for me. I am a vegan, a Seattleite, independent, a bisexual woman (this is really one for me), a student, and a musician and writer. The first four really are the ones that come up most frequently, though the woman bit (and the bisexual bit; people really assume I like women since I cut off my hair) is fairly obvious from my stereotypical looks, so I rarely have to state it.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think VeganinBerlin is somehow talking about the things you are, but didn't choose? I chose to be vegan but I didn't choose to be a woman. And honestly, while my self-description would depend on the situation, I'm much more likely to say things I've chosen since I feel that it says more about who I am than some arbitrary thing I'm born with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

fruitbat wrote:
I think VeganinBerlin is somehow talking about the things you are, but didn't choose? I chose to be vegan but I didn't choose to be a woman. And honestly, while my self-description would depend on the situation, I'm much more likely to say things I've chosen since I feel that it says more about who I am than some arbitrary thing I'm born with.

Not to derail, but one can choose one's gender (i.e. woman). One is born with particular genitals, but that does not decide one's gender. Each individual makes that decision.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

missdelaney wrote:
fruitbat wrote:

Not to derail, but one can choose one's gender (i.e. woman). One is born with particular genitals, but that does not decide one's gender. Each individual makes that decision.

And some people have much more identification with their gender than others. Same with sexuality. I would probably mention my gender as an identifier, but I wouldn't mention my sexuality as I feel rather.... Fluid?... In that respect. I didn't choose to be short but might pick that as identifier because I've always connected to my stature and when I was young, something that I defended. So how one chooses to describe oneself shouldn't have to be broken down into things we choose and don't choose. It's just what we are.

I'm a short, fluffy white puppy who is female and is Mumbles' air adjacent! Who really likes pretzels! Huzzah!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:12 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I would mention that I'm transgender as an identifier because there isn't another really good word for my gender, and if I don't name that I'm transgender, people assume I'm some other gender that I'm not, which is really frustrating. But ideally I would like to live in a world where it doesn't matter and I don't have to be like HI I'M TRANSGENDER EVERYBODY all the time in order to have my gender recognized like someone whose gender identity matches the gender that others perceive them as.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:18 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

As for being vegan, I'm more likely to let people know that I'm vegan in a more organic (so to speak) sort of way, like just sort of working it into the conversation naturally. But I definitely don't avoid letting people know. I'm just more likely to let people know I'm vegan by offering them delicious food and constantly posting pictures of my awesome food on Facebook and sharing recipes on my blog and stuff, than by listing it in a list of identity labels.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I do not use it when describing myself ... if asked what I am I say 'an English Canadian', when going to lunch / dinner with anyone & if asked what grub I like I say 'I eat a vegan diet'. I do not mention all the other vegan stuff I use (cleaning products, slap etc.) unless asked ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I think my list was sort of a combination of how I see myself and how I would describe myself to someone else. I don't think I've ever said "I'm female" to anyone, with words. I say it all the time through the way I dress, speak, and move.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:33 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I noticed my Twitter bio yesterday as "apps, bikes, compassion". so I guess I don't even say "vegan" to describe myself publicly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

joshua wrote:
I noticed my Twitter bio yesterday as "chocolate but fork your salty chocolate". so I guess I don't even say "vegan" to describe myself publicly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:47 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

joshua wrote:
I noticed my Twitter bio yesterday as "apps, bikes, compassion". so I guess I don't even say "vegan" to describe myself publicly

Well, "v" is pretty far down the alphabet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:45 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

vijita wrote:
joshua wrote:
I noticed my Twitter bio yesterday as "chocolate but fork your salty chocolate". so I guess I don't even say "vegan" to describe myself publicly

hahah, idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

Very interesting read: I didn't really think of lots of the views pointed out in the thread so I am glad to be enlightened. When I asked the question, I was only thinking about how see myself in descriptive words (though I never outlined that). I realize now that I too describe myself to others in lots of different ways depending on the circumstances and occasions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:19 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

missdelaney wrote:
fruitbat wrote:

Is it really a choice, though? I guess I've always regarded this in the same way as I view sexuality. I can't just decide to be something else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:01 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Let's not turn this into a debate about sex and gender, please.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:41 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I tend not to mention my veganism to avoid another person saying something dumb like people eating tasting animals. I get them used to me and spring the veganism on them later when something like food comes up. That way if they make one of those comments they know exactly who murdered them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

It's far down, but I don't really know how to label myself and avoid it, for the most part. For example, my info on Tumblr is "I'm Maddie. I'm 23 and live in Reno." So I guess I only identify by age. . and . . . location?

dorky-feminine-cis-girl-who-likes-boys-and-girls-and-is-white-and-youngish-too-also-vegan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

2nd or 3rd for me.

Crazy cat lady, runner, vegan, nerd pretty much describes me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vegan is pretty high up in mine. it might be first. i've been veg*n since age 16 (20 years) so it's a pretty solid and longstanding part of my identity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:05 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Buddhist, vegan, artist, cat lady.

Like others have said, how I describe myself to other people varies by context. Veganism doesn't usually come up unless I'm around other vegans or if someone asks me questions about what I'm eating. Mostly I just talk about my cats. ; )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

If we're talking about what order I disclose things about myself, it depends. If we are talking about how I self-identify in my own head--like when I look in the mirror who I see and who do I see as--it doesn't make the list. BUT, that is a change. I live alone now, so I (finally!) have my vegan bubble.

When I go out into the world, part of how people interact with me is mediated by my race, gender, sex, the religion I was raised in, my disability, the fact that I'm a student, the things I study. And then a lot of what I spend time and energy on are my particular hobbies and interests. So all of those identities are likely to be at the forefront of my mind when I stop to think about who I am. I mean, I spend most of my time doing math and stats homework and at least 3 times a week someone asks what I study and then tells me all about how they really hate math. That's always going to be in the top 5 for me right now.

But I prepare most of my food at home now and otherwise order one of three things out. I eat most of my meals alone. In my apartment I'm not vegan, I just eat food and use soap and wear clothes. I don't typically have anything to remind me that veganism is unusual and prime that identity in my mind. I mean, sometimes I'll see someone eating a sandwich with meat on it at school and I get really confused, because I forget that people do that. (Totally popular cool kid is definitely one of my identities for sure. I am always spending lots of time with other people and I am not a loner at all. No way.)

When I used to live with other people and had to constantly navigate vegan diplomacy or even just see dairy in the fridge all the time, it was pretty high on the list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I couldn't even describe myself to a police sketch artist if I had to and I hope like hell no else can either.