| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Weather Thread: brag or complain here!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 am 
WELFARIST!

Our area had a tornado warning yesterday, which is extremely rare. A few hours from here there was really significant damage, and driving home from work yesterday was basically a blackout because of all the rain. I've never seen so many people with their hazard lights on. Today should be more mellow but still wet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:12 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Pouring here too. I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

So. Hot.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:57 pm 

My first Atlantic storm! We lost power for about 24 hours and I bet we will again tonight because the winds are worse than yesterday. I hate to love storms because I understand that damage can be horrendous, but I've quite liked this one. I was "hoping" to work from home today but my laptop was dead the whole day and the internet was down. Oh, darn it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It has been raining for something like 48 hours straight here. That wouldn't be so surprising - this is Belgium after all - but today it was so cold that I saw people wearing quilted jackets and woolen hats. In July. what the fizzle?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

MEGASTORM! Schools everywhere in the bay area have been cancelled, some for the rest of the week. I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to get to work tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to dangerous conditions that could lead to injury or property damage, but I'm so ready for a good old-fashioned NorCal deluge. Tahoe is going to be getting a full foot of snow lakeside and up to five feet in the peaks, which is supa-awesome, drought-wise!

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

So much rain, I loves it! I had to take off my shoes, socks, and leggings when I got to the office because I am soaked. Which is a bummer, because I thought I'd weatherized my boots a few weeks ago but clearly I missed a few spots! Good news is my coworker is on vacation and I totally got to steal her mini space heater and put it under my desk to dry my clothes and warm my feet!

I was surprised BART wasn't more forked than it was, although I left just before the commute really hit its stride, at 7:20 am. Montgomery BART was already closed because of power failure, so I had to walk from Embarcadero station instead.

How are all the Bay Area PPKers? Staying warm and dry, I hope, and with no flooding/leaking/power problems!

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:20 pm 
Chip Strong

San Bruno station flooded and there's a system wide delay!

My sweetheart usually commutes from Oakland but was advised to work from home today so I am all "SNOW DAY!" but alas, when my sweetheart works from home it means actually working from home.

Me: zip
Work ethic: one zillion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:30 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Ha! My ex, who lives in my neighborhood, is also able to work from home and did just that. He texted me a picture of the street in front of his (formerly my) house, by 9am it was already so flooded you couldn't see the curb, the water was pretty much level with the undercarriage of the neighbor's sedan.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Just gonna take a look at the traffic, here....

WAT

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:33 am 

Monday morning is bad enough, a freezing rain storm for our long morning commute: even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Stay safe, vijita!

I am so, so tired of the cold. We've had a cold snap here for the last 2 weeks, and the snow hasn't begun to melt. And my landlord refuses to clean/plow the parking lot, so every time I walk outside, I'm just waiting to faceplant and break something. I'm also tired of people saying, "it's going to warm up SOON!" When is "SOON"? June? July?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Opposite problem here. It finally just got cold today. I've been a northerner most of my life, so moving to a place with such a mild winter has been an adjustment. But I guess I can break out the earflap hat today because it finally feel cold enough to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Second Danish winter with NatureBoy. Where the fork is my snow? When I lived here in 2010/11 we had mountains of it! For the past two years, I've been dreaming of frozen lakes/fjords/etc. and forests full of snow, and nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing, feh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 am 
WELFARIST!

We have a cold snap that just started today and will stay around for awhile. It's making me long for spring and it's only January, so far to go!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 am 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
We have a cold snap that just started today and will stay around for awhile. It's making me long for spring and it's only January, so far to go!

The temperature difference between yesterday morning and this morning is pretty crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 am 
Inflexitarian

lobsteriffic wrote:

I hate how once Christmas is over, there's that kinda sense that "welp, winter is over now" because no more holidays etc. But it's so false because the coldest is still to come!

I can't go anywhere without the cold making my nose run :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We've finally gotten a nice amount of snow the last few days and today it started raining. Thankfully I have to day off and don't need to go anywhere because the roads are horrible, but I really wanted it to just snow so I could go snowshoeing or something. Outside of the valley places are getting several feet of snow so at least once all of ours turns to crepe from the rain I'll be able to drive somewhere to snowshoe/ski.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:52 pm 

Everyone kept warning me about maritime winters and I was like "whatevs, shut up, I grew up on the prairies walking to school up hill both ways in -45" but dammit, this weather sucks. It's "only" -17 but the wet Atlantic wind chill is intense and the temperature rises and plummets so quickly that it does stupid crazy things to the roads. And our winery's outside is a legitimate skating rink. I want to bring my ice skates tomorrow to make going to the other building to pee more efficient.

"Chilling to the bone" is a phrase I now truly understand--I have been shaking from the bone all day. In the dry cold it took your breath, froze your lungs, and bit your skin, but it didn't like, target your organs from the inside out.

We are at home with a fire going now but the sound of the crashing wind outside is not promising and we've gone through four massive bags of salt at home the past two days just getting up our driveway. Yay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:03 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

vijita, I feel you with the damp cold! The prairies get so intensely and fiercely cold but a damp/humid cold is, like, next level. Being surrounded by the great lakes here provides much the same effect. It's just so cutting! Right through my damn coat!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I would rather brave -30ºF in the mountains/prairie than 20ºF along a coastline. Vijita you described it perfectly - dry cold attacks your skin and lungs but it doesn't sink into your bones the way damp cold does.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Is it bad that I'm hoping for a snow day one day after returning from holiday break?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It's about to snow in Jerusalem, and everyone is freaking out. it snows here every single year...with last year their being a huge freak blizzard that basically destroyed the city. (I think less the blizzards doing, and more the fact the city is not equipped to deal with ANY snow) I have a feeling in the end this "storm" is basically going to come down to a few flurries, but the University (Where I work) has already announced we're closing early wednesday and not coming in at Thursday (hooray!) and the city is in a mad scramble for food and supplies (boo) meaning I've decided to forgo my weekly shopping and just live off what I have in order to save myself from the mob.

Snow. blah. I grew up in New England so I saw plenty of it as a kid, it's going to take more than we EVER get here in order to impress me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When I moved to Colorado I expected weather like in The Shining. It was actually too warm for my winter coat today! Which is nice because I don't drive so it's still easy for me to get around, but I kinda piled up a lot of books, crafts, video games, Netflix shows and movies to occupy myself while snowed in for months >.>

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:05 am 
WRETCHED

We got snow today! Just a dusting.

Shy Mox - The shining was set in the rockies which means more snow but I don't think there are actually very many places like that. Colorado winter is pretty fantastic, you'll get snow, then it will get to 60 degrees and all the snow will melt. Compared to Maryland where we hardly get snow but we like to hover around 30 degrees which means lots of ice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next