| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Being vegan in the business world
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member here and a pretty new vegan (6 months). I just got a promotion and am about to enter a new world of management and business travel. I'm pumped for my new job but there are a few things I'm anxious about. I would LOVE to hear about anyone's experiences in this setting!

I'm particularly anxious about meals. I don't care one bit if there is special food provided for me - I'm expecting it will be difficult and will for sure keep back-up food in my hotel room and in my bag - bars, PBJs, fresh fruit, oatmeal, etc...but when there is a luncheon or dinner that I must go to I do not want to bring attention by not partaking or by pestering waitstaff about ingredients...at least not yet. I realize it's no one's business what I eat (and of course in my opinion being vegan is a awesome!) but I do not want to be high maintenance. I just want to focus on the work until I've proven my worth a bit. I suppose in some cases I could call restaurants ahead of time. Any other ideas?

Secondly, attire. I need a new proper business wardrobe. I've found some 1 nice suit that's polyester instead of wool/silk, and a pair of shoes by Chinese Laundry that are lovely and comfy and were inexpensive on Alternative Outfitters, but I am going to need a lot more. I realllllly want a Matt and Nat briefcase in black, but they've been sold out since I started stalking them a month or two ago :( I would love suggestions on places to find polished looking clothes and accessories. Hopefully you guys have some hidden gem stores or websites to share!

Post subject: Re: Being vegan in the business world
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:33 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

hi!

I'm a vegan lady in a professional/corporate setting. I work at a Fortune 100 company in a corporate marketing function. My husband, who is also vegan, is a manager at an ad agency.

What I do for food at work functions is try to scope out the menu ahead of time. I sometimes get in touch with the venue and ask if they'll have vegan options, and oftentimes they are very happy to prep something for me if there isn't something already. I also have made friends with the person who works for my company who sets up the events. She is lovely and is happy to ensure there is vegan stuff for me. I know my husband asks the office manager to get stuff for him and they've always accommodated.

I totally get not wanting to make waves at first. Once you're a bit more comfortable, politely ask! You might be surprised how many people are receptive to it. of course there's jerks, too, but...there's jerks everywhere.

As far as attire, I'll have to ask my husband and report back. I know he gets a lot of his footwear at Will's Vegan Shoes website, and clothes at Asos.com.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

Oh that is a relief that many people are receptive in both you and your husband's companies. My company is actually food/health related so I'm hoping it will go just as well. In my previous role I would have occasional meetings with corporate (like yearly maybe) and remember one dinner in the past where I was able to select between meat, seafood, and veg...of course veg ended up being cheesy vegetarian lasagna if I recall (I wasn't vegan then). The anxious side of me envisions just sitting there with a cheesy covered plate in front of me, and not eating it while hoping no one notices, or sitting there starving and debating wether or not to pull out my a PBJ from my purse at some sophisticated function :-/ Need to put it out of my mind! Better to visualize a smoother vegan-friendly situation I'm sure!

Thanks for checking with your husband! In fact I am female too though, so if you have any favorite stores for your clothes that would be helpful!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ahh actually I see those stores have women's clothes too. Something like this shoe will probably be perfect. Thanks!

http://wills-vegan-shoes.com/en/vegan-h ... white.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:24 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I really love eShakti.com as well for dresses and separates as well. They just started doing really nice custom made pants. I am just using a fabric folio/briefcase thing, but that Mat and Nat one is super nice.

I still bring Clifbars with me in my bag when I go to work functions, but I'm finding more and more I don't have to eat it.

I bet things will be just fine once you get into it. Congrats on the new gig, by the way!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

Never heard of eShakti - looks interesting! They have a $40 gift card for first time customers and the custom pants are buy 2 get 1 free. I think I will be giving them a try!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Primal Strips are another good ultra-portable food, when you're in a pinch.

Off to check out those eShakti pants....

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have a lot of all cotton suits that you can't even tell aren't wool. They tend to be the cheapest because people value wool more. Some places, can't remember if it's JC Penny or Macy's or something, even keep my sized suits in the juniors section. Not smaller, just juniors because they're cotton.

JC Penny and Calvin Klein have lines of cotton suits. At least in the slim fit kinds I was looking for when I last shopped. In general the cheaper stores carry more vegan items because fancy clothes are all about tradition. So it's only places like Kohl's that even seem to sell non-leather men's dress shoes (and they often have a lot, but their styles change regularly).

Suits and shoes aren't impossible to find with some effort. I'd look at stores with a good selection online so you can get an idea of which brands to find. Some will even sort by material making it easy. The nearly impossibly thing is tuxedos. I ended up wearing a suit to my wedding instead of a tux.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have several polyester blend suits that look pretty nice. Oftentimes I luck out when traveling to client sites and discover that their office attire is business casual. I always try to dress to match what their VPs and Directors wear so I don't come off as too uptight for their corporate culture. My bag I end up carrying is a laptop bag since I work for a technology company and need my computer most of the time (so it's nylon or something like that).

As for food I usually call ahead to see what the venue has but overall if my clients discover I am vegan they are most often polite about it. One client actually cooked for me when she found out. You never know!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

In terms of meal options, ditto about folks usually being cool about it. Honestly, when I RSVP for an event for work, I generally tell the event organizer that I'm vegan and ask if a vegan meal can be made available or if I need to make other arrangements (so then I at least have a heads up if I need to bring a sandwich or something.) Most of the time, the vegan meal option is actually better than what everyone else has because it hasn't died a thousand deaths on a steam table.

Also if you're staying at a hotel, you can almost always request a mini fridge in your room for free (or a minimal charge, like $10). Sometimes I pack hummus in a TSA-compliant container and include it in my carry on liquids ziplock bag. Or you can also do individual packets of nut butters in the bag, too. Baked tofu travels well too.

Finally - if your job is food/health related, maybe your being vegan is actually a plus? I mean, veganism is expanding as a market segment, not just among folks who are interested for ethical considerations but also for health reasons. You're obviously the best judge of your new job culture, but it's just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:33 pm 
WRETCHED

I work for a very large corporation.

Right now, I use a Tom Bihn bag for work (I believe all their bags are vegan).

I think Zappos is a great place to look for vegan shoes. Mooshoes.com is also a good site to check for shoes, especially when researching brands. I don't wear suits but I can usually easily find polyester slacks and nice blouses.

As far as eating out, usually I don't have a problem. The only time I really had a problem was at a seafood restaurant. But what my technique is checking out what sides are at a restaurant and seeing how I could modify vegetarian items if they aren't vegan. The only other place I generally have a problem with is my work catering, they just do a horrible job, so I will bring my own meal. I have sat down with execs with this method and they haven't ever said anything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:27 am 
Tofu Pup

dandykins wrote:
Honestly, when I RSVP for an event for work, I generally tell the event organizer that I'm vegan and ask if a vegan meal can be made available or if I need to make other arrangements.
Finally - if your job is food/health related, maybe your being vegan is actually a plus? I mean, veganism is expanding as a market segment, not just among folks who are interested for ethical considerations but also for health reasons. You're obviously the best judge of your new job culture, but it's just a thought.

Thank you for these points! I love the way you word the meal request - I will use that. And while I'm not sure about my company thinking of veganism as a plus, they do like to encourage healthy lifestyles - more along the lines of preventative medicine, but hey maybe I can at least push "more plants" as an goal in some sort of initiative...

I appreciate everyone else's advice as well. I went to DSW today and was so surprised to find many brands that were all man-made materials. It is a bonus that they are cheaper, too. I found a nice pair of $40 simple black pumps by Lifestride which seem like they will be way more comfortable then any leather heels I've had in my non-vegan past, for which I have paid 5 times that. It was important to me to find some heels that I could really move fast in and keep up in. I think these will do the trick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:32 am 
Tofu Pup

[quote="linanil"

Right now, I use a Tom Bihn bag for work (I believe all their bags are vegan).
[/quote]

I hadn't heard of this brand before. Looks like good quality and I love the creative product names! Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:34 am 
Tofu Pup

Rebekah wrote:

I'll give these a try. I'm assuming the only store where I'm likely to find them is Whole Foods?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:21 am 
Saggy Butt

PerfectAvocado wrote:
I'll give these a try. I'm assuming the only store where I'm likely to find them is Whole Foods?

Not sure, I didn't try them until I moved to Germany. Whole Foods, Wegmans, or co-ops seem most likely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:44 am 
WRETCHED

PerfectAvocado wrote:
Rebekah wrote:

Primal strips are available at a variety of places, Amazon has them as well. Sometimes my local grocery store has them or other similar items.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Most of my vegan suits come from Ann Taylor (but check the fabric content, because not all of them are vegan). I have also gotten some good ones at Banana Republic Outlet--generally pant suits. The skirts have usually been too short to be work appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 am 
Tofu Pup

Tzippy wrote:
Most of my vegan suits come from Ann Taylor (but check the fabric content, because not all of them are vegan). I have also gotten some good ones at Banana Republic Outlet--generally pant suits. The skirts have usually been too short to be work appropriate.

This was a great suggestion. I had assumed all the pretty tops and jacket linings were silk, because...well...they look silky? But it was almost exclusively polyester/rayon type blends. I went to both BR and AT outlets and found great deals (I think they had more selection than the actual store!). I am super pleased with the amount of appropriate and well-fitting (and non-animal based) clothes I found to get me started, and I'm usually not so lucky with off the rack items fitting me well. With "friends and family" coupons plus outlet discounts I made out like a bandit. Now I feel like a sucker for anything I've ever paid full price for in these stores before!

I also found I agree with you about the skirt/dress length too. They were just on the line where I wasn't positive if they were appropriate, so I stuck with pants.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Rebekah wrote:
PerfectAvocado wrote:

Not sure, I didn't try them until I moved to Germany. Whole Foods, Wegmans, or co-ops seem most likely.

If you have access to a chinese market, you may be able to find these, dried tofu jerky things, which are similar only cheaper and a bit drier. i keep a packet in my car for emergencies. (sorry i couldn`t find a better pic, it is a square packet with maybe 4 pieces of firm, brown dried tofu, about the size of the palm of your hand)
Now that I am working at home there is usually only a work function weekly at most, and I do what has been mentioned- scope things out beforehand, and cobble things together. Recently I went to one and had a meal of sides and everyone was raving about how delightful my meal looked as they were picking at $100 plates of sushi that were pretty sparse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thank you, Torque! We have an Asian market, I'll definitely look for those jerky-like things. The photo really helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:02 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i think they are called "dougan" but my chinese character skills are more conceptual, and completely useless for asking at the store what the stuff is called (i can tell you it's taiwanese and dried tofu- this one is five spice but i have also found black pepper and "spicy".) i used to get one brand that had a website but the one i have in the car at present is a different brand, no site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:10 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

When I had a job that cared whether I dressed like the degenerate I am, I got a lot of my business casual stuff at Express, but I know they have some nice/fashion forward suits as well. They have some wool and silk but it's totally not hard to find several really nice, classy options that are cotton/poly blend (often they have some elastine as well). I also really appreciated, as a tall woman, that their suit trousers can be bought in regular, petite, and tall lengths.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:24 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Tzippy wrote:

Ditto to this. Also good things at The Loft (though I think that's related to Ann Taylor...? I'm kind of lost in the "shopping" world.) I have a friend who finds good stuff at TJ Maxx too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I also like Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. But I really buy almost all suits now at Macy's (substitute your local middle price range department store here). Way more selection and variety, lots of vegan women's options. Also, amazingly, (some) JC Penny's and Kohl's have a TON of work-appropriate stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

does Old Navy still make decent work pants? when i was teaching i had about 6 pairs of the same model in different colors, they fit super well and looked really professional (a little stretch but really polished).
And +1 for Ann Taylor Loft and Ellen Tracy stuff.