| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Starting a budget (mint.com and others)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Amy wrote:
I tried mint a couple years ago but wound up canceling it. Partly because I didn't like it being linked to all my accounts, but more because it was always a little bit behind me. I'd get a "WARNING: LOW ACCOUNT BALANCE!" email and freak out, but then realize that my balance was only low three days ago, before I got paid. I don't need warnings for that; I know I'm poor the day before payday.

This is pretty much why I don't use Mint anymore. It never seemed in sync with my accounts and it would scare the crepe out of me. Now I just keep track of my checking account in a Numbers spreadsheet, which works well enough for my purposes, although now I'm looking at YNAB and that's kind of intriguing.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Post subject: Re: Starting a budget (mint.com and others)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

it's really customizable.

for example, with EEBA, we had one envelope for budgeting credit card interest and another envelope for paying down balances. it was a round-about way of dealing with it that doesn't necessarily jive with the software, and once we got all the balances down to a 0% APR, neither of those envelopes were particularly useful. that combined with not actually showing the negative balances, i think made mr. carrot think we had more money than we really did, so he relaxed and didn't pay attention. now that he'll know that the money will eventually go toward a card, i'm thinking he'll do better. one of the cards has about $3000 where the 0% APR expires in april, so we actually have an obvious place to budget for that particular card (aside from my head.)