| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dating & bad timing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I have just starting dating this really great guy & I'm totally stoked on him. But I am leaving for for Italy in 5 weeks - I will be gone for 6 months. Then when I return I will be living 2 hours away from him. I am so sad right now. I haven't felt this way about someone in at least 15 years. He makes my stomach flip when he kisses me. I could just hold his hand for hours. I am so smitten & I have to leave. What the heck do I do with this? I just want to cry.

Post subject: Re: dating & bad timing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

hmmm, enjoy the five weeks and see what happens from there? I mean, anything could happen during those five weeks or the following six months, so why not enjoy yourself?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

yeah, I know that's what I'm trying to do!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:33 pm 

What are you doing in Italy, btw?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was in almost the exact same situation three years ago. Three years ago yesterday, actually, I had an amazing first date with an amazing guy. I saw him almost every day for the next couple of weeks, then I went away to work with street kids in the Philippines, and then travel through Southeast Asia- I was gone for three months all up.

I kept in touch with him via SMS and occasional phone calls while I was away. I swear that I spent almost all my spending money on phone credit. We both realised that what we had was something worth hanging on to, and decided to make it work the best that we could. We've now been living together for two years, have moved across the country together and are talking marriage and puppies and all that.

I guess the point is, if it's worth hanging on to, then don't let go. You can make it work. It sucked at the time, but we now both look back on those three months as a really special time that proved how much we meant to each other, even in the early stages. And it's fun now to think about all those messages and phone calls and how exciting they were at the time. I know that no one ever wants to hear the whole 'fate' thing, but if it's meant to work then it absolutely will. Trust us!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:38 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Erinnerung wrote:
if it's worth hanging on to, then don't let go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:39 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ilovemountains wrote:

Interning at a museum in Florence (probably the national museum of photography). Awesome huh?!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Erinnerung wrote:
I was in almost the exact same situation three years ago. Three years ago yesterday, actually, I had an amazing first date with an amazing guy. I saw him almost every day for the next couple of weeks, then I went away to work with street kids in the Philippines, and then travel through Southeast Asia- I was gone for three months all up.

I kept in touch with him via SMS and occasional phone calls while I was away. I swear that I spent almost all my spending money on phone credit. We both realised that what we had was something worth hanging on to, and decided to make it work the best that we could. We've now been living together for two years, have moved across the country together and are talking marriage and puppies and all that.

I guess the point is, if it's worth hanging on to, then don't let go. You can make it work. It sucked at the time, but we now both look back on those three months as a really special time that proved how much we meant to each other, even in the early stages. And it's fun now to think about all those messages and phone calls and how exciting they were at the time. I know that no one ever wants to hear the whole 'fate' thing, but if it's meant to work then it absolutely will. Trust us!

Thanks - I totally get it & need to chill the fork out!
What a great story btw!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My brother met a girl for one night before she left for a 6 month stint in Italy for school exchange. She's back now, and going to college across the state from him, but they have been exclusive/together since they met that night.

I also think you should just enjoy it and see where it takes you! Hopefully it works out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:49 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Rach*n wrote:
Hopefully it works out.

Italy sounds great, don't stress.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:57 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Don't forget about Skype and Google Talk and all that fancypants technology mumbo jumbo that exists these days. With some serious patience and dedication, long-distance can work. You just have to be the right kind of couple.

Try not to stress so much about the future. Enjoy the time you have together right now. When you leave, see what happens. When you get back, see what happens. Good luck.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:02 am 
Dildo Queen

you can easily keep touch with him while you're gone. what an awesome opportunity for you! interning at the museum of photography, wow, congratulations, how exciting!
and yeah like everyone else is saying, enjoy yourself now, see how it progresses, if it's meant to be, it'll all work out in the end. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:45 am 

rubylove wrote:
ilovemountains wrote:

Interning at a museum in Florence (probably the national museum of photography). Awesome huh?!

Yeah, awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

rubylove wrote:
ilovemountains wrote:

Very cool!

Agree with the others, if it's worth hanging on to, you will. Happened to me. I met someone I was crazy for, then he left for a 6 month working vacation (back then, no internet, skype...yeah I'm old). I was resigned to the fact that I would probably never see him again. Well, he wrote me several romantic letters, and when he came back, he called me right away! And now he's across from me snoozing in his lazyboy. You just never know!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Quote:
Agree with the others, if it's worth hanging on to, you will. Happened to me. I met someone I was crazy for, then he left for a 6 month working vacation (back then, no internet, skype...yeah I'm old). I was resigned to the fact that I would probably never see him again. Well, he wrote me several romantic letters, and when he came back, he called me right away! And now he's across from me snoozing in his lazyboy. You just never know!

yay for romantics!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thank you all so much, he had just left when I posted yesterday & my heart was aching. I know things will work out as they are meant to, it just feels so freaking good to be near him I don't want it to stop. Arghh - stupid love.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

See what happens. Something vaguely similar happened to me though on a much smaller time scale. I met this guy in the spring, randomly kept running into him at the end of the semester. Ended up having a date right after the semester ended and a half week before my vacation. I went off to Germany for two weeks, but we ended up chatting online a bunch on several occasions, each for anywhere between 1-3 hours. That was a good indication that something good was happening. We met up the afternoon that I got back, and have been inseparable/dating ever since. He is most definitely one of the best things that has ever happened to me.