| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:24 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

kfad wrote:
Today, I am my own annoying coworker. I found a note on my desk in my writing that just says "file all the things." I have no idea what I meant, as everything was filed away when I left last week.

This is awesome. I don't know why, but it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

jordanpattern wrote:
I will never understand people who think it's cool to force their musical tastes on others. Personally, I think I have awesome taste in music, but even so, I'm not about to subject my coworkers (had I any) to an 8:30 am blasting of Electric Wizard.

When I taught preschool one of my coworkers would play music constantly, usually at a high volume. Sometimes it was fine, but when the kids would get really rambunctious it was just awful, and added to the chaos. At Christmas time she kept playing Jesus-heavy Xmas music. I hate all Xmas music, but the non-secular stuff REALLY grates on me. I asked her to please play secular music, and she did, for that day, then I had to ask her every day after that. My boss was very unsympathetic and said that since no parents had complained she didn't see the problem. Gawd, I hated that job.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Some of my coworkers think I do nothing all day. Like seriously, I see them get to stand around chatting and I'm there not having time to have my morning break most days. I nearly had to take home work with me yesterday because I didn't get all I needed done. Most of them, if asked, would never choose to do my job. Their usual reason is "I wouldn't have a clue what to do."

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 am 
WELFARIST!

You guys. B strikes again! She and I have been getting along fine, and this isn't a personal thing at all, just something she was saying to a customer who had quit smoking and gained some weight. This lady (the customer) was looking for a quick fix diet something-or-other that she'd heard about on Dr. Oz (just like every 2nd customer who comes into the store). B starts going on and on about how 'they' tell you to quit smoking so you'll be healthier, but then! But then you gain weight! You gain 18 pounds (her random number) and then you've got extra stress on your heart! And you'll get diabetes! May as well keep smoking!

Listen. I'm struggling with quitting smoking myself. So this is not a non-smoking judgmental thing at all. But I could not stop myself from saying that gaining 18 pounds, generally, will not make a person start to have heart problems or diabetes. I could not believe I was listening to her tell this lady to just start smoking again, because she was basically one foot in the grave either way.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:43 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

New office kitten does not mean don't do any work and leave it for kfad. Because I just cranked out all the stuff that got put off yesterday in under an hour.
It is becoming increasingly clear that I am expected to take over the office. And yet, how much more clear can I be than "no, I do not want to".

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:43 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I work for a lawyer who does real estate transactions for a large home builder. In order for me to do my job and draft the contracts and trust conditions I send to the lawyers for the people buying these homes, I need various documents to be completed and sent to me by the homebuilder. There is one woman who consistently provides these things super late (like, the day before the sale is supposed to close). It results in delays and frustration all around. When I try to check up on the documents in advance to try and head off any delays, she gets super huffy and acts like it's this huge imposition.

Today, she emailed me asking about some documents that someone else in our office sends out when sales are completed. The person who sends these out had been having trouble with her mail program deleting her mailing lists, so this woman at the homebuilder had not been receiving some emails she should have gotten. I forwarded her the emails, which were clearly sent TO me by another person, and she replies with, "Oh, I see you never included me on the list to send these to." She's SOOOOOO snarky all the time about the tiniest errors, yet when I ask her to, well, do her job in a timely manner, she acts like it's out of her hands, which is clearly a lie!

Anyway, it's not a big deal, but I don't understand where people get off being dicks about stuff when they could just as easily be pleasant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:21 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

So much learning in my new job! And the production component of our coworkers hate my husband and I. They have some engrained idea in their heads that people from BC (I'm an Albertan, for the record!) are lazy and stupid. They also see us as the epitome of the BC transplant--tattoos, vegan/vegetarian, into "hippie crepe" like tofu and organic vegetables (I brought kimchi on my first day for lunch, haha), they see me as a weirdo being 32 and without children. They make a huge effort to talk about the hunting community, and roll their eyes about where we decided to live (in an awesome, artsy university town rather than their population 75 "hunting community"). We are just laughing it off. If you think I'm exaggerating, please know that I'm not! We went to eat outside and the black flies were insane so we came back in and they laughed in our faces. Even more problematic is that we've been hired to be senior to these women.

So I'm that unpopular new girl at work in all of those movies! But those movies always end with everyone changing their minds, right???

And my boss is manically stressed and hyper. He's SUPER nice and amazing at his job though, so I can take it. But gah, he's so jumpy!

I do appreciate everyone's work ethic though, even though it sometimes feels more like trying to outdo and compete with each other rather than do the job well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:12 am 

New revelation! Our accountant smokes. Inside the office.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

jordanpattern wrote:
There is one woman who consistently provides these things super late (like, the day before the sale is supposed to close). It results in delays and frustration all around. When I try to check up on the documents in advance to try and head off any delays, she gets super huffy and acts like it's this huge imposition.

this totally sums up this week's project. i can't do my work til this guy does his, and he's ALWAYS late. i tried to call his bluff and say the next person down the line had been asking about it to push things along and i just got my asparagus handed to me. then the next person down the line will yell at me for lateness. The thing is, we're doing this for An Evil Organization Nobody Likes so we don't really feel bad, it's just a job and our egos got bruised, but not overly so. But you're dealing with people and their homes, and that sucks.

Vijita, sorry to hear work is full of that kind of crepe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

vijita wrote:
New revelation! Our accountant smokes. Inside the office.

Uh...is that even allowed in Nova Scotia? I have no idea about the laws there.

My annoyance for the past while: it's bad enough when my manager micro-manages me, but now this woman who is senior to me but not my manager wants to micro-manage me too. Argh.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:05 am 

Definitely not allowed, but they make their own rules here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:36 am 

vijita wrote:

She's really funny and quite nice, so I guess I'll wait awhile before I request that we play by the law (this is technically my office) by not smoking inside. She's doing it because of the black flies all around outside that are AWFUL, so I kind of but not really understand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:00 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

vijita wrote:
vijita wrote:

She's really funny and quite nice, so I guess I'll wait awhile before I request that we play by the law (this is technically my office) by not smoking inside. She's doing it because of the black flies all around outside that are AWFUL, so I kind of but not really understand.

People sometimes think they make their own rules, then are shocked when called (publicized, fined etc.) on them.

http://nslegislature.ca/legc/statutes/smokfree.htm

Places of employment

7 (1) No person shall smoke in any place of employment except as permitted by Section 6.

(2) No employer shall permit any person to smoke in any place of employment except as permitted by Section 6. 2005, c. 59, s. 4.

Edited to add: I completely understand not wanting to rock the boat your second day there but it's not a new law and there is little doubt she and the boss know it is illegal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:29 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Someone in my office hoards assistants like a bedraggled lady hoards cats. Now one of her assistants has his own assistant.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

There is a gunman situation in a nearby town - I'll spoiler it for those who don't want to know details - and my nearest coworker has been giving updates and commentary in a loud voice all day about it. I want to know at times what is going on but I can't think about it all day - it makes me sick. I have the internet, I can check periodically, and her commentary is in such an OMG! I can't believe this! tone like it's a tv show and not a real and terrible live event. I have had to have loud music playing in my headphones all day.

Spoiler: show
Three RCMP officers killed, two injured and the suspect is still at large.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:14 am 

Oh man, arisaig, I know what you mean. It's terrible at my work too.

Spoiler: show
All the people I work with are just like "GUN HIM DOWN!" and this one hunter girl said she's tempted to go over to Moncton with her guns to seal the deal for the officers. It's just...so much VIOLENCE and my heart goes out to those in Moncton actually dealing with this horrible situation.

I see they've apprehended him, so I can only imagine the conversations today.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:52 am 
Impressive boner

Two of my colleagues are lovely, sweet people but drive me up the wall by always making something out of nothing, work-wise. We were given simple instructions that we should delete the out of date tasks but they manage to make it into a protracted debate over two days and witter about it whenever they can.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

This is all people have been talking about here too. Apparently everyone knew how to handle the situation better than the RCMP. Sure. Whatever.

He should have been shot immediately as well. Doesn't deserve to live. Ugh, discussions like that upset me. Maybe I'm alone but no one should have the right to take another life. I don't care what they did. Death is not an acceptable resolution. Why would someone want that?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:19 pm 

I have a coworker who is always behind on her work, which doesn't usually affect anyone else too much, but last week she kinda had a breakdown about how much work she has and my boss asked us to help her out. normally, everyone in the office helps each other out when they get swamped, everyone except for this one coworker. she's rarely in the office, works very different hours from anyone else, and doesn't really contribute to anything. when one of my other coworkers asked what she could do to help, she asked her to do one overdue thing and then said as long as she was doing that, she could also do whole other thing, too. So when i asked her what she needed help with, i was very specific about how much work i would accept from her. Anyway, i don't mind helping people out, but i feel annoyed with this because no one else in the office has ever been as behind as this girl and she does not have more work than anyone else. she might actually have less work and I know that that the help won't be reciprocated.
I also really want to know what she does all day that made her get so far behind. she's been behind on her work for like 2 years, so i don't even know...

anyway, it's pretty annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Messaging a group of people that the accounting is all screwed up, while knowing that the only other person who does it is me, without telling me first that there is a problem... annoying.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Argh so annoyed at micro-managing co-worker who is senior to me but not actually my boss. Yes, the entire reason I went to university for 9 years and obtained a Ph.D. is so I can waste ALL DAY formatting your excel document while you stand over my shoulder and say bisque-y passive aggressive things to me.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

My boss recently moved to another position so now we have a new boss. The work my department does is very specific, very important and not easily understood. The store that I work at is very different from other stores in the company because it's a high volume store (number 8 in the company), and the highest volume store in the northeast. My old boss has been working at the store for twelve years, the new boss has been working here for six months (but has worked at different stores in the company) and was never officially on our team prior to this. We are a very good team and for the most part we can be left alone. This boss had her first day with us, alone, on Friday and immediately pulled my co-worker into her office, with another boss and ganged up on him, telling him what he was doing was wrong. When I say immediately, I mean he didn't even punch in for work yet. She has been screwing everything up, messing up our organizational stuff, pissing people off, mishandling everything, etc. She is the worst boss I have ever had and she has no idea what she's doing. I would chalk it up to this being her first week but I've had run-ins with her before and she's been like this. I tried giving her a chance, hoping that she'd get to know us and ease up but it's only gotten worse. Now a bunch of us want to quit and if that happens, the store is kind of screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

any upper management you can reach out to? HR? just to give a tip and say "this store is going to implode if something isn't done"? Although if she was like this before.... some other department where she was before is breathing a sigh of relief.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When I started my new job, I was 9-5. I work in the same office as 4 other people, one of whom just shares the office and isn't part of our dept. We work in a centre that's used for training, and the person who runs the centre works 7.30-3.30, so when there's something happening in the centre, someone else has to lock up. My boss thought that the other person who works with us would do that, or at least that he and I could both be responsible for it. But whenever he was left to it, he cocked it up. So she decided to change my hours to 9.30-5.30 (which I hate) so that I would always be around to lock up the centre.

So, of course, the guy who always corks it up (and even told the boss that he doesn't feel comfortable doing it) keeps locking up the centre when he knows that's my job. And he always corks it up! He leaves equipment out, he can't lock one of the doors, he doesn't switch off the lights, he leaves windows open - all of which is exactly why he wasn't supposed to be doing it in the first place. So he comes through announcing he's locked up like he's done me some big favour, but I always have to do it myself anyway because I know I'll find something he missed (he did nearly all of the above just today). Just let me do my job!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

rachell37 wrote:
When I started my new job, I was 9-5. I work in the same office as 4 other people, one of whom just shares the office and isn't part of our dept. We work in a centre that's used for training, and the person who runs the centre works 7.30-3.30, so when there's something happening in the centre, someone else has to lock up. My boss thought that the other person who works with us would do that, or at least that he and I could both be responsible for it. But whenever he was left to it, he cocked it up. So she decided to change my hours to 9.30-5.30 (which I hate) so that I would always be around to lock up the centre.

So, of course, the guy who always corks it up (and even told the boss that he doesn't feel comfortable doing it) keeps locking up the centre when he knows that's my job. And he always corks it up! He leaves equipment out, he can't lock one of the doors, he doesn't switch off the lights, he leaves windows open - all of which is exactly why he wasn't supposed to be doing it in the first place. So he comes through announcing he's locked up like he's done me some big favour, but I always have to do it myself anyway because I know I'll find something he missed (he did nearly all of the above just today). Just let me do my job!

Just tell him! "I appreciate your help, but it has been designated my job for a reason."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 49  Next