| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I get that lavawitch. I am also efficient and leave work earlier than other colleagues, and even though I'm salaried and no one should care when I come and go there's definitely sort of a culture of "staying later means you work harder" or you're more invested in the practice or something. I don't care enough to actually come earlier or stay later, but I would be pissed if it came up in a review or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh lavawitch, I've had that issue so many times. I was seen as not caring because I left work at the correct time everyday. It wasn't viewed as I am just highly efficient or that my colleagues just took longer to complete their tasks even when I end up taking on some of their work on top of my own.

Yep, going to have plenty to moan about with the new job. The more senior person who coordinates the work load is also only a few weeks in to the job. She got time to shadow prior to this week however she breeched one of the basic procedures and my peer, who has been in the job months, got the blame. I was a witness to my peer doing the right thing. Also, she doesn't seem to be managing the pressure all to well. She is getting brittle at times and not intervening when she should and trying to offload some of her duties on me. Oh and asking us to do stuff that just not in line with health and safety. I've already had to be assertive a few times which hasn't gone well. On one of the things I did discuss it with someone with a lot more decision making power and I didn't even get near half way describing the risk (the second half was even more severe than the first half) and I was told "no way, do not do that ever." Which was all good considering I hadn't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lavawitch wrote:
My new coteacher is fine, but we are a lot different.

Believe it or not, I'm actually super efficient at work. I get paperwork and other assorted duties completed immediately, and I pay attention to what I'm doing. Basically, I just get crepe done. I'm also an excellent multitasker. Today, while on hold with our transportation services for 10 minutes, I finished filing some student paperwork, sent in our breakfast orders for next week and answered a few emails.

I leave at precisely the earliest time allowed by my contract. I do arrive anywhere from 20-45 minutes early due to traffic.

My coworker stays an extra 1-2 hours every day and people keep commenting on her great work ethic. She gets less done than I do (because I do all of our paperwork to save my sanity and it's quicker for me to just do it). Yesterday, it took her 20 minutes to find and load an online training module we needed to do. I had already finished it, and we started at the same time. I have lots of examples like that.

I'm not slamming her--she does a fine job, but her work style is miles different from mine. She dithers around a lot and doesn't like doing more than one task at a time. I'm just getting peeved that people who take a long time to do things always seem to end getting recognition for being harder workers. It's been like that at almost every job I've had.

Maybe she's still just getting comfortable with the change? Is she new to the school? I know I have a lot of anxiety the first few months and would stay later/come early as often as possible before it felt like it gave me an edge on the workday and calmed me down a bit. But I am by nature a bit of a scattered person, so I'm more like your coworker and yeah, sometimes peope would comment on my dedication for working outside of my salaried hours, I was usually just doing it to save my butt because some things take me a long time if I get interrupted constantly. One of my bosses is an ex-accountant who is so incredibly focused and task-orientated that she gets flummoxed when I'm all over the place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:30 am 
Discovered unobtainium

No, she is new to this classroom, but not the program. She has been here longer than me.

I wasn't intending to criticize her. I just get tired of admin not recognizing efficiency. It happens a lot in teaching: the last cars in the lot each day get tons of praise. Staying late is pretty much an unwritten expectation. That isn't as much the case here since our students are not allowed here after class hours, but they still assume late-doing tons of fabulous extra things.

I'm currently working on a physics curriculum that all the science teachers can use. Hopefully that counts in my favor even though I can get it done during my contracted hours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:10 am 

It will! Your work will speak for itself! I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

One of my coworkers has been at this job for 40 years. 40 YEARS. As a customer service agent for an airline. Understandably, this makes him a) crazy and b) one of the higher seniority peeps and that is ALL he talks about. Yesterday I was working with him in the lobby and he announced very loudly "I have more seniority than every one else here combined." I know this already as he says it oh, EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF EVERY DAY. I told him "that's very nice, R" as I tried to help a group of people in line. A group of people he wasn't helping. Apparently this upset him and he went into the back and told a lead a bald-faced lie about me in front of everyone in the back. The lead pulled me aside and said "first, I want you to know that R is a jackass and completely crazy." I told her the extent of our conversation and she said he had told everyone that I said he wasn't needed and could go somewhere else. UM WHAT. I mean, my reply was sarcastic but I would never say the other stuff. We have to work together. Why would I make it worse?

She said 3 different people stood up for me and said I would never say something like that, which is nice, but dear Lard. She also suggested nipping it in the bud with him but I deal with him very rarely and would just rather keep it that way until he retires which by god has to be soon. I mean, I get seniority is important and I am super respectful and in awe of those who have been at this job forever because I just can't imagine it, but that doesn't mean he just gets to act like a child.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This isn't so much "annoying" as it is amusing. Apparently some of my "coworkers" (who aren't really my coworkers but they're the main office and sometimes they snag our calls) seem to think that the Spanish word "vega" is a masculine noun.

What's so weird about this?

They think an internationally famous city is lOs vegas.
Um.

(They live in the midwest! I'm sure they've heard of it!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:58 pm 

Steffers! wrote:
One of my coworkers has been at this job for 40 years. 40 YEARS. As a customer service agent for an airline. Understandably, this makes him a) crazy and b) one of the higher seniority peeps and that is ALL he talks about. Yesterday I was working with him in the lobby and he announced very loudly "I have more seniority than every one else here combined." I know this already as he says it oh, EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF EVERY DAY. I told him "that's very nice, R" as I tried to help a group of people in line. A group of people he wasn't helping. Apparently this upset him and he went into the back and told a lead a bald-faced lie about me in front of everyone in the back. The lead pulled me aside and said "first, I want you to know that R is a jackass and completely crazy." I told her the extent of our conversation and she said he had told everyone that I said he wasn't needed and could go somewhere else. UM WHAT. I mean, my reply was sarcastic but I would never say the other stuff. We have to work together. Why would I make it worse?

She said 3 different people stood up for me and said I would never say something like that, which is nice, but dear Lard. She also suggested nipping it in the bud with him but I deal with him very rarely and would just rather keep it that way until he retires which by god has to be soon. I mean, I get seniority is important and I am super respectful and in awe of those who have been at this job forever because I just can't imagine it, but that doesn't mean he just gets to act like a child.

Ugh. People who think seniority is a free pass to being a crasshole to everyone else. I've worked with those people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

At lunch today I guess I forgot to clean a fork I used from the communal kitchen. I remember cleaning a fork, but it must have been someone else's? Maybe I accidentally threw mine away with my leftovers box. Point is, I didn't just leave dirty dishes around, and I'm always very conscientious about cleaning up my stuff. When I got back to my desk from working in the lab I find a dirty fork sitting on a napkin in front of my computer. So someone picked it out of the trash, figured out it was mine, walked past the kitchen sink across the office and left it on my desk without a note or anything. I guess I don't get credit for all the dishes I've cleaned left by other people. So forking petty!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:44 pm 
BAD PASS

My jerk coworker/officemate is back after two weeks of vacation. He didn't say one word to me, unless you count muttering at one point that he needed to go take a peas.

Woot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:53 pm 

couroupita wrote:
At lunch today I guess I forgot to clean a fork I used from the communal kitchen. I remember cleaning a fork, but it must have been someone else's? Maybe I accidentally threw mine away with my leftovers box. Point is, I didn't just leave dirty dishes around, and I'm always very conscientious about cleaning up my stuff. When I got back to my desk from working in the lab I find a dirty fork sitting on a napkin in front of my computer. So someone picked it out of the trash, figured out it was mine, walked past the kitchen sink across the office and left it on my desk without a note or anything. I guess I don't get credit for all the dishes I've cleaned left by other people. So forking petty!

Jesus. That person needs a life.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't imagine resorting to dumpster (sorta) diving for pettiness.

Just.
Jeez.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:05 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

The guy in charge of our business supplies account is kind of irksome. He's not horrible, but I just knew right away I wasn't going to be very fond of him when I met him, we went to shake hands, and he did the limp dead fish hand. UGH.

Usually my coworker handles supplies because she's oddly territorial of it being her job, and even though she occasionally does things like buys twenty boxes of staples for no apparent reason (seriously, we're still working through staples she bought five years ago). But she's away on vacation, and I noticed we needed a bunch of things, so I emailed a big order over last night.

Now usually we email the evening before, even as late as 5:30, and they show up with all our stuff the next morning. It's pretty great. Except our rep has made a habit of picking out a few things in every order and calling or emailing us to make sure we really wanted them. Today I come in to an email asking us if we're sure we want the 8 oz drinking cups because we normally get the 10 oz cups. OH MY GOD JUST SEND SOME DAMN CUPS ALREADY we are drinking water out of coffee mugs! And because of two frickin ounces we didn't get today's supply order and we're out of cups, paper clips, blue pens, and bond paper until tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:37 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

kfad wrote:
Boss: Is it nepotism if I hired my mother-in-law

Me: I am pretty sure that's the definition of nepotism. Did you open the position to outside people before you did this?

Boss: No, I think it will be okay. I'll just hire her.

Me: Good thing we have by-laws that no one follows to protect our funding.

Quoting myself so I can give a delightful (read more of a what the fizzle) follow up.

I just found out that she hired her m-i-l at a higher per hour rate than the other new person she hired two weeks before that. Both new hires have exactly the same position.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Today dirty fork coworker (she fessed up yesterday. She couldn't stand that I didn't make a fuss about it) had her family ship her smoked salmon from Europe. She told them they wouldn't need to ship it with ice because smoking preserves it. I have no clue if that's true but she opened the box in her cubicle today and the worst smell of death I have ever experienced came blasting out and permeated the office. She showed me a puffed up bag of salmon that was mushy and wet that has been rotting for 2 weeks as it came to California from Spain. She took it outside but sorted through the rest of the contents of the package on the sidewalk right next to the door so all the death fumes came rolling in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Given some stuff posted here, I don't think you win this thread, but maybe you win it for today, or at least a few hours?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes, temporary win for sure.

Leave a doodle with a sad salmon plus a nose with a clothespin on HER desk. Since that's how she rolls and all. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yay! Winner for the day!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:05 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Holy barf . You win this thread for a while

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yup, you win, couroupita.

I had a coworker who liked to eat canned kippers for lunch, with almonds mixed into the oil, in our tiny lunchroom. Disgusting but not even close.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:40 am 
Dead by dawn

One time one of our clients went on his annual goose hunt and sent my coworker a goose because "it's not Christmas without a goose." He packed it in regular ice in a cooler and shipped it from Oklahoma to Washington. Pro tip: if you are ever going to ship someone a bird carcass, this is not the way to do it unless you are trying to clear two floors of high rise office building.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's not Christmas without literally rotting goose carcass!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Wow. I can't even imagine old goose. That's just awful!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My boss's boss, who sits right next to me, proudly announced his lunch today: leftover KFC. It's bad enough that he eats 3 feet away from me normally, with the picking his teeth and sucking fingers clean instead of using a napkin, but the smell of cooked chicken makes me retch. So I'm taking an unexpectedly extended lunch break.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:44 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My office is pretty easy going about not minding a quick run to the coffee shop 2 blocks away and today is Friday and I'm just doing phone calls and paperwork, so I am wearing a t-shirt and jeans and 3rd day hair in a ponytail, and I ran out for a cup of coffee with a co-worker doing the same thing. Got an urgent text from a co-worker to comeback ASAP because a project I'm on has people here from an hour away for a meeting. Didn't see it, came back, turns out my boss, who invited me through our calendars to the meeting, gave me the wrong date. I am not interrupting the meeting at this point, but I am the one who would attend this project and get it off the ground and they couldn't find any of us until my boss showed up 20 minutes after the start was expected. Really annoyed that I probably look unprofessional right now despite having a clear discussion with my boss about it and using her calendared time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next