| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:11 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Ugh Hollie. Just ugh.

So... things are going to get interesting (I hope) at the notmuseum. An intern discovered that the President of the Board of Directors is holding her position illegally per the bylaws. Which can cause some issues in funding, etc. The intern has decided to challenge this and take over as President. As I see it this has two possible outcomes. 1) the board actually gets a president that will let the museum people do their jobs etc., or 2) the current board will have to confront the issues and know that an outsider knows how shady they are.
Either way, for me, there is no downside. I'm throwing in with the intern. If I get fired in an coupe (sp?) attempt then I get unemployment, or I start working at a museum.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Hollie wrote:
He did actually get written up recently for similar behavior! He refuses to speak to the woman who runs the keg line, only the guy, who doesn't know what he's doing, because he's brand new, so vital information does not get relayed properly and stuff gets forked up.

fork that guy right in the ear.

I really wish I could be so shockingly incompetent and have a job.

kfad, are you sure you're not on a Lifetime dramedy? All the twists and turns of the Notmuseum would make a great 30 minute show. OH NO WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO OUR TRUSTY HEROINE!!!???

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:11 am 
BAD PASS

I got him to pull the bottles this morning (Wednesday) by saying, "[Boss] is going to be pissed if those bottles don't ship today. I'll need your help in explaining to him why the bottles haven't been pulled yet."

Bam! Bottles sitting on my stairs within minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:29 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

A co-worker (weekend staffing person who I never actually see) emailed me expressing concern over possible harassment by an ex-volunteer. I told her "trust your gut" and I will look into what I can.
My (our) boss told the weekend person that is was nothing and she should let it go. This is deeply concerning. The staff person is very hurt by that reaction. So much so that she came to me to tell me that she feels like I am the only one who heard her.
This is the umpteenth time we have voiced concerns to our boss only to have her tell us it's nothing.

If this is a sitcom... this is the very special episode.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Guys, week one of work is done. I loved it. The people I worked with this week are really genuinely lovely people and I laughed so much. The bonus is there will be at least one person that will annoy me sometimes. I haven't met her yet. What I love is that when my colleagues don't particularly get on with someone or like them they are still so professional and polite in talking about it. Not the downright awful and nasty things my colleagues the last few years have been like.

But yeah, it's quite possible I probably won't be posting as often in this thread as I have in the past!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:57 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Coworker receives documents via email that she has to upload to a different website. Coworker prints out the pdfs, then scans them in as pdfs so she can have pdfs. I just can't you guys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My last remaining brain cell exploded. The others were killed by kids whining about too much work. It's the first week--we've assigned hardly any work and no homework at all yet.

20% of our class time is now designated for kids to socialize. Admin thinks the kids don't have enough opportunities in our already third length day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:57 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Coworker receives documents via email that she has to upload to a different website. Coworker prints out the pdfs, then scans them in as pdfs so she can have pdfs. I just can't you guys

I'm filing this under the best thing I will read all day.

I just had to remind my boss that it's actually my job to send out the requests for donations for the one big fund raiser we do every year. And that it is NOT my job to rewrite the rewrite of the messed up tour book. That job actually falls to the curator.

So I have nothing to do for a week while she sorts out what it is she actually wants me to do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:20 pm 
BAD PASS

Haha! Shitty officemate is apparently very bothered by the small permanent marker stains on the counter from when I was marking something "FRAGILE" and flipped it over to write it on the other side before it had dried, and has asked the janitor to bring him an array of spray cleaners and a towel.

Our office is a crummy old construction site trailer on stilts inside a warehouse. The floor is stained from years of work boots, one of the cabinet doors is missing (mainly because he knocked it off its hinges by slamming it during a tantrum), the counters where probably white at one time, but have a cigarettey yellow tint to them now -- it's not a nice office.

He keeps putting the spray cleaners and towel in my work area, because apparently he thinks *I* should get the stains off the already-stained counter, but...he hasn't said one word about it. I just keep moving the cleaner out of my way, and when I leave the office and come back, he's moved it back in my work area.

Dude needs some serious help regarding people skills.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

We have about 1,000 trainees in our board. We just had to do a data cleanse of a system where we had to check 4 pieces of information for each trainee and correct what was wrong. We had a training day, a full colour how-to guide with screen shots for each step, and the whole team was working together in one computer lab so we could get help straight away. We had printouts from a spreadsheet with all the details that were correct to the best of our knowledge (I'd stayed until 6 the night before getting everything together).

And still, one of my colleagues managed to miss out at least one piece of info from nearly every line of the two sheets she managed to get through in the almost 7 hours we spent doing this. Luckily we also did a quality assurance check, so my boss and I picked everything up (I hope). But she did the QA on my sheet and said to me (not knowing it was mine) that she'd made corrections, and now I'm worried that she's gone and cocked something up.

Also, I just realised that, between set up, the actual exercise, and QA, I spent about two full days on this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:23 pm 
Semen Strong

HOW ARE PEOPLE SO BAD AT THEIR JOBS?

Just seriously, if you cork up something on every line of every sheet of what is essentially a repetitive, mechanical task, how do you keep your job doing data entry?

Shitty officemate needs therapy on his relationships with women. He sounds horrible to be around.

I feel like if I were in those positions and acted like that, I'd be fired.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish - your post sounds like it desperately wants to be a haiku:

shitty officemate,
persistent badness always,
really? kill me now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 am 
BAD PASS

HE'S GONE FOR TWO WEEKS!

Whoohoooo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:42 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

We have a new person who works admissions on the weekends. I did not train her. Our boss did. Which is why it amuses the heck out of me that she totally messed up where the money goes for which thing. We have two cash boxes, both very clearly marked. She put all the admissions monies for the weekend into the gift shop box. When I asked about it, I was told to sort it myself.

I love the support I get at this place. No really, I do....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:21 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Boss: Is it nepotism if I hired my mother-in-law

Me: I am pretty sure that's the definition of nepotism. Did you open the position to outside people before you did this?

Boss: No, I think it will be okay. I'll just hire her.

Me: Good thing we have by-laws that no one follows to protect our funding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:48 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I walk in the front door and it stinks. My coworker says "Oh, I didn't even notice." I spray febreeze all around as a second co-worker comes in and thanks me for doing so because she smells the stink, too. I light some incense and leave it burning on the kitchen sink (the stink usually comes from the kitchen).

After a while the stink comes back stronger than ever, so I go back in the kitchen and look in the trash and ~surprise~ there's a bag with dogshit inside. I tell my coworker I've discovered the source of the smell.

Coworker: Oh, that's mine.
Me: I know. It smells.
Coworker: but it's in a plastic baggie.
Me: And it smells.
Coworker: I can't smell it.
Me: IT SMELLS.

Finally I get her to take the bag and throw it away in a public bin outside, the whole time she's grumbling "well, I can't smell anything." Well forking GUESS WHAT, everyone else does and I don't feel like breathing in dog shiitake all day!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I cannot get my co-worker to follow the simplest of tasks. I've had to write a note on the coffee machine to remind him to turn it off after use (leaving it on 'stand-by' means it is at a constant low-boil so uses up tonnes of electricity) but even with a note on top of the machine it still gets left on over night. This is just one thing out of many but it is pissing me off. He is constantly leaving electrical devices running when not in use, he has left the oven on overnight too. I'm constantly having to clean up after him or turn things off after he has used them. Just...how did he survive infancy?

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We had our team training this week. Most people are seriously lovely. The junior staff look absolutely petrified and us senior staff can't stop laughing at all the disasters that have happened ahead of next weeks big opening which is freaking out the juniors even more. Not really annoying for me but I think we might be the annoying ones..... However.... This is what health service provision is about. We can't control it so we may as well laugh about it and come up with really lame puns.

On that note, there is already one person that has a lot of potential to be that annoying coworker. I worry for her though because she is so "new" that she is going to walk head on in to an awful lot of problems.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:03 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

It kind of walloped me upside the head this morning that my coworker has a specific personality type that revels in tragedy and bad news. 'Revel' isn't exactly the proper word, but for lack of a better one, she's immediately drawn towards bad news and twice a day- when I walk in the door and when she hatereads neocon websites on her lunch break -she regales me with the absolute worst of humanity/our personal circle. She's a kind-hearted person, and that's why I hate to use the word 'revel,' but suffice to say she is fascinated by tragedy just as I am fascinated by true crime but that doesn't mean I enjoy or condone murder.

Does anyone have a name for this personality quirk or any ways to deal with it? I'm kind of at a loss for words when she goes on and on about a rape in her neighborhood she read about on NextDoor, or the blow-by-blow of how someone we know recently died of a heart attack, or tries to get me to watch a video of the Fukushima/tsunami tragedy where you can see people running for their lives and some of them don't make it (yes, seriously, this is a video she tried to get me to watch once). This morning it was telling me how someone else we know has been paralyzed in a car accident and how she could hear her screaming over the phone because they took her off morphine. I don't want to stick my head in the sand, but at the same time, there's only so many times I can say "that's terrible," before I start to think "okay but why are you still talking about all the juicy details and how horrible it is?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:04 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I think directly bringing it up and telling her how it bothers you would go a long way to helping her see that it's impolite to talk this way with just anybody. I don't think you should worry about mincing words either, just be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:37 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

For me, I would say: This is exactly why I don’t watch or listen to the news. I don’t want these images in my head.

Not sure where to go from there...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Huh. I was sort of nodding, thinking, well, I'm kind of like that, until you got to the constantly sharing details part. I am drawn to horrifying or disastrous news (maybe mostly if there is a science component), but I can't bear to watch videos etc or watch/listen to anything more graphic than the news.

I would just tell her straight up "I don't want to hear this." And repeat that every time she starts. I'm sure you can phrase it much more aptly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:58 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

These are good thoughts, thank you all. I guess I probably should have mentioned that she sits right next to me (in a small office where we are in the midst of all comings and goings), so even if I manage to avoid her doom-n-gloom directly, she will often have similar conversations (often the exact same ones) with other coworkers. I know I can't reasonably ask two coworkers to stop talking in my presence, but as far as her dumping this all on me, I will definitely tell her I don't like to hear about these terrible things in large, regular doses. I may also turn it around by asking "so, what good news have you heard today?" Often times I'll read something great online and tell her and she'll say "oh yeah, I heard that on the radio this morning!" So it's not like she's not getting any good news, ever. Maybe with a little practice we can both learn to balance out the horrible with the good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tell her to join the websleuths.com forum. That ought to give her a nice outlet and you some peace.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My new coteacher is fine, but we are a lot different.

Believe it or not, I'm actually super efficient at work. I get paperwork and other assorted duties completed immediately, and I pay attention to what I'm doing. Basically, I just get crepe done. I'm also an excellent multitasker. Today, while on hold with our transportation services for 10 minutes, I finished filing some student paperwork, sent in our breakfast orders for next week and answered a few emails.

I leave at precisely the earliest time allowed by my contract. I do arrive anywhere from 20-45 minutes early due to traffic.

My coworker stays an extra 1-2 hours every day and people keep commenting on her great work ethic. She gets less done than I do (because I do all of our paperwork to save my sanity and it's quicker for me to just do it). Yesterday, it took her 20 minutes to find and load an online training module we needed to do. I had already finished it, and we started at the same time. I have lots of examples like that.

I'm not slamming her--she does a fine job, but her work style is miles different from mine. She dithers around a lot and doesn't like doing more than one task at a time. I'm just getting peeved that people who take a long time to do things always seem to end getting recognition for being harder workers. It's been like that at almost every job I've had.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129  Next