| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

lobsteriffic wrote:
There is a coworker who sits near me who asks me all kinds of (basic) Word and Excel questions. I've even tried to (nicely) show her how to Google these things. I get it, not everybody is an Office power user or whatever, but at least try to look up the answer before asking someone else!

Sometimes when people at work ask me easy to google things I want to google the answer and then send them the let me google that for you link. I only do that to good friends at work though.

rachell37 wrote:
When the other admin did it, she would just add up the column separately instead of using a function because she didn't know how to do functions. Even when I put in the function (and it was just a sum!), she would revert back to her way of doing it. I would try to show her how to do it - nope. I can kinda understand someone who pretty much never uses Excel not wanting to bother with learning these things, but when you use it every damn day, you should know how to do a sum function.

Oh man, that is annoying! I have a coworker who was looking for a client ID number in a file that contained at least 100 records and she didn't know there is a find function. She didn't even attempt to sort by smallest to largest number or anything, she just looked at each row looking for the ID number. How does one not think "there must be a better way to do this"?

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

katiejayne wrote:
Oh man, that is annoying! I have a coworker who was looking for a client ID number in a file that contained at least 100 records and she didn't know there is a find function. She didn't even attempt to sort by smallest to largest number or anything, she just looked at each row looking for the ID number. How does one not think "there must be a better way to do this"?

I literally facepalmed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:36 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

katiejayne wrote:
Sometimes when people at work ask me easy to google things I want to google the answer and then send them the let me google that for you link. I only do that to good friends at work though.

One time I was at the computers at work when a colleague (who was also at a computer beside me) asked me something in this easy to google excel vein of things, and I said "let's try the internets" and then googled it right in front of him! I felt like it was a pretty good jab, but he totally didn't even get the jab! He was just all "great! Thanks!".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
katiejayne wrote:

I literally facepalmed.

OMG that reminds me of my old cost auditing job... basically compare what a vendor charged to our company's price list and bill them if they went over. these things were forking long, like 10 pages or so and in order by an arbitrary number that had nothing to do with our work (i think it was the barcode with a bunch of numbers in front, so not very efficient to use) so like, 1kg of peas, for example would be on page 1 and 750g of peas would be on the seventh page with coconut water. anyways, so i made the mistake of asking the person training me if i could rearrange the list alphabetically before it was printed to make it easier to sort through. she said, we don't do that here, it's faster to memorize where everything is on the list and find it that way. then she did all these power trippy things to prevent me from learning how to prepare the lists myself and i had to go behind her back to someone else a month later to learn how to do it myself and have an excel file i could ctrl+f. ughhhhhhhhhhhh rage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:26 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I worked with an elderly accountant a few years ago who used to insist on "double checking" Excel calculations by adding them manually on her adding machine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ruby Rose wrote:
I worked with an elderly accountant a few years ago who used to insist on "double checking" Excel calculations by adding them manually on her adding machine.

Omigod, that's sort of adorable. I'll probably be that person one day, cynical and mistrusting of all this newfangled technology.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:31 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

emmalv wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:

Omigod, that's sort of adorable. I'll probably be that person one day, cynical and mistrusting of all this newfangled technology.

Ooh sonny, I don't trust those mind-scanner calculations, their sonic lasers are always gumming up! I'll just use my trusty ol' iPhone here...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:58 am 
Saggy Butt

Star wrote:
Some things with coworkers doesn't bother me (loud voices etc) but I work in a team of five (used to be 12 but 7 people have left and not been replaced through budget cuts), we have to cover the phones from 09:00 - 18:00 but only work 7 hours a day (with a half hour lunch on top) so we have a rota with 2 people starting at 10:30 and working till 18:00. We cannot have one person on their own due to a lone worker policy so there must always be 2 of us in. This works fine when all five of us are in or when 1 person is off, but when 2 people are off someone has to work the full 9 hours. I do this all the time, as do 2 of my colleagues, we are as flexible as possible to allow 2 or even 3 people to be off. However the other 2 staff refuse to do this and I find it so annoying.
Last Friday I was supposed to be baby sitting for my sister at 18:30, it takes me an hour to get home but was supposed to be leaving at 16:30, then 2 people then took the day off. One colleague said he would work the long shift but we needed someone else to stay till 18:00. Stupidly I said I would do if my my other colleague (who lives 10 minutes away and knew about my babysitting plans) couldn't. She point blank refused, left at 16:30 and spent the evening watching TV.
I had to arrange for someone else to stay at my sisters until I arrived at 19:00.
I have made it known to my supervisor and informed him that I will no longer be providing cover for these 2 staff.

And another thing! I live 20 miles away, travel on two trains and walk several miles to get to work but am always in on time, but the one person who lives closest (2 miles away) and drives is late 4 out of five days a week.

On Thursday these 2 colleagues redeemed themselves 200%. 2 people were off, I had to go in late because of the cat and they both sent me messages saying they would cover if I needed the day off as well.

π

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

emmalv wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:

I am that person, I'm sorry to say! *still looks behind monitors and screens to see where the people are coming from*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

I work with someone who TALKS all the time. He talks when we're not supposed to, and it is always to me. Classic school scenario, right? I need him to stoppit (!) before I get in trouble. I tried not talking back, but he doesn't even notice. I tried moving physically away, and he follows me. He even commented, "you're never in our department! There you go again!" as I backed away from him. He also says horrible things, like he almost hit an elderly person with his body as he's talking sooo loud, and I made eye contact with the person and he seemed mad, then I told the talker, HEY you need to be careful, you almost hit someone. And he says "WHAT I DON'T CARE, not my fault!" Right in front of the guy. So rude. I've only worked with this guy for three days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My interaction with a coworker made me sad and irritated, especially since i really like my coworkers and we are generally supportive of each other. Anyhow, a big perk of my job is learning and practicing new skills. This is something that I've talked explicitly about with my most senior & knowledgeable coworker. He's been AWESOME about helping me build a skill set that i am interested in and giving me honest feedback. Now since i am the newest, and least experienced person, my work gets checked over by one of my coworkers, which i prefer. Again, senior coworker (we'll call him R) has given me lots of feedback, most of it positive, and when it's not, it's constructive (ie, try doing it this way, it works better) or once, when i was about to make a (not irreversible) mistake, checking in with me about how i was doing because i seemed off my game (and in fact i did not feel well.)
Anyhow, today I mention an upcoming task to my other coworker, C, and he's like,"Oh, I'll just do it because, i have to check your work anyway, because R said so." Which, ok, that's true, but the task at hand is one I'm good at, it takes C less than 5 minutes to check my work, and it saves him about 45 minutes of work.
I guess it irks me more because by C's admission, i came to this job with more aptitude/skills than he started with, and R spent a lot of time training him, even though he messed stuff up. From things R has said, there are some things i tend to do better than C. It makes me sad/mad that C doesn't want to offer the same feedback he got early on, especially since we DO have time for extra instruction & taking our time on projects for the moment. I don't want to make it a gender thing if it isn't, but i work in a really male dominated field, and I'm the only woman in my shop. Usually, my coworkers are SO good around gender stuff, they always stand with me if a customer is a sexist forkwad. Also, last summer, when we were crazy busy, C took the time to help a young guy who was working part time, had no skills/experience and who had no desire to learn. Meanwhile, i am really receptive to - and ask for - feedback.
I guess if it's something where R has decided i suck at that task and can't do it, we'll talk about it Friday (when we work together) and I'll know where i stand.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 am 
Semen Strong

I am sorry Olive, that sounds so frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:57 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Annoying fellow student situation: What the hell is wrong with you if you're in college and still stick chewed gum under the tables?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I've taken over dealing with the CEO's diary until they replace the PA (when one of my co-workers asked me what I get for it, I said I've gotten thanks). Anyway, there is a lot of stuff the PA didn't do that's really urgent, so I desperately need to meet with him to go over it (he's not great with responding to emails). So of course, the person he's with now has overrun my time. He doesn't have another minute free for the rest of the day, and he's not back in the office until Monday (I need to arrange travel for Tuesday). This happens every. single. time I meet with him, even if he doesn't have anything in the diary before me (people will just go in and meet with him when he's meant to have time to himself). It's so incredibly frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Can you schedule a first-thing-in-morning shut door meeting with him?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just needed this one meeting today. I managed to get in and got about 20 minutes with him and sorted whatever I could. We got through to the end of March, so hopefully the new PA will start by then and I'll just have to follow up on an as-needed basis via email in the interim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thanks, t'lish. Mostly it just made me sad because we're all friends and we usually have each other's backs. C is sort of in a weird space in his personal life, and R mentioned last week that he seemed to be doing macho posturing stuff as a result... So maybe that's it. I can roll my eyes and it will be over soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

julialegume wrote:
I work with someone who TALKS all the time. He talks when we're not supposed to, and it is always to me. Classic school scenario, right? I need him to stoppit (!) before I get in trouble. I tried not talking back, but he doesn't even notice. I tried moving physically away, and he follows me. He even commented, "you're never in our department! There you go again!" as I backed away from him. He also says horrible things, like he almost hit an elderly person with his body as he's talking sooo loud, and I made eye contact with the person and he seemed mad, then I told the talker, HEY you need to be careful, you almost hit someone. And he says "WHAT I DON'T CARE, not my fault!" Right in front of the guy. So rude. I've only worked with this guy for three days.

That same dude used to work with me. I actually talked to my boss about it because I was so worried about her associating me with this disruptive, disrespectful dude. My boss was cool, when she saw him harassing me she would turn all her attention to him and his work (or lack thereof), which eventually led him to switch gears to bisqueing loudly about the boss, and eventually got him fired. I wasn't sorry because he did it to himself, and there are more deserving and respectful people who could do the job and not take everyone down with it.

I hate excel, by the way. My coworkers are rude because I take a bit longer with excel stuff (because I'm googling stupid instructions!). I even had one coworker ask me how I got a Masters degree without mastering Excel. Fortunately Bill Gates did not confer any of my degrees. It's just dumb because aside from updating spreadsheets from time to time, I really don't need to mess around with excel. Some of my coworkers will make four spreadsheets of data to convey what could be communicated in two verbal sentences. I mean, what's wrong with language? We definitely need them to track some numbers/date, but that's something our finance administrator is supposed to be doing and we use programs and Simply Accounting anyway so why the spreadsheets?! Sometimes I get all paranoid like they are just there to alienate me! fork excel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:00 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I have earned my black belt in Excel in the last two months, pretty much. Before that I couldn't even do a simple sum - why would I, I was a graphic designer! And it's kind of spilled over into my life because now I want to make spreadsheets for everything. NUMBERS. DATA. ORGANIZATION.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

But vijita, you're at least Googling and trying to learn how to use Excel! The fact that you're trying rather than just staring at it and yelling "WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE THE THINGIE DO THAT NUMBER" makes all the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
But vijita, you're at least Googling and trying to learn how to use Excel! The fact that you're trying rather than just staring at it and yelling "WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE THE THINGIE DO THAT NUMBER" makes all the difference.

Exactly. And most importantly, you're not *meant* to be an Excel expert. I don't so much mind people asking me how to do things in Excel if they never need to use it and just have to look at it every once in a while. It's when someone who uses it daily and as a major part of their job doesn't know very basic stuff that I get annoyed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

paprikapapaya wrote:
now I want to make spreadsheets for everything. NUMBERS. DATA. ORGANIZATION.

This is me 100%. I find spreadsheets very, very soothing.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ugh. Good old Nepotism Nellie AND Nepotism Ned both got promotions recently.

As much as I love my job, I know I can never have my entire career here. Not with all this nepotism business. It is so depressing. Not that I am leaving anytime soon, I just know that this will prevent me from moving up in the company, and the frustration will eventually drive me somewhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:27 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

UGH. I am dealing with a million things at once at work right now and I misspelled a colleague's name in an email (a very common spelling of a fairly common name) and he sends an email back "thanks, but I'm not [name]. :)"

DUDE, I GET IT. But if I sent an email every time someone spelled my name 'Erica' I'd never forking get anything done. You're in your 60s. Get over it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:04 pm 
Inflexitarian

Erika, how silly! People misspell "Claire" all the time too, in various ways, and especially because I live in such an Irish city so lots of people spell it "Clare" here, and I have a long complicated Polish last name so I have had decades of practice having my names misspelled and mispronounced. When I tell people my name if they're writing it down (putting it in their phone or writing me a check or something like that) I always spell it out for them as they're writing it down and I often say "I use as many vowels as possible" so that maybe they'll remember, but if they get it wrong, um...I'm not 8, so I really don't care?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 49  Next