| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

one can only hope, right? MORE ACTION FOR ME!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

That would be like me calling a different library to get the answer to every question a patron has.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

paperweight wrote:
xstartxtodayx,

i agree with everyone else. if you haven't dealt with it already, i don't know if it would help to think of it not as "confronting her" which makes it seem like it will be, well, a confrontation, but just talking to her about it.

which is just rephrasing Erika's suggestion to approach it like it's not a big deal, basically. the other thing i suggest is approaching it like she doesn't realize it's disruptive to you and that she doesn't want to disturb your work and would stop if she knew.

i know it seems so obvious that it would be disruptive, but i have lots of friends (and coworkers) who genuinely can't tell how loud they are being and are just way more comfortable with tons of noise than i am. (or anyone else on earth, i'm pretty sure.)

one thing that i've run into with loud people before is that when they don't hear me, they assume that it's because the sound proofing is better than it is, when really i'm just being quiet. also, if she has poor hearing she might not be able to hear how loud everything is to the rest of the office.

i've had some luck with approaching things this way, because even if the person DID know what they were doing, this framing lets them agree to change the behavior without losing face. they're now using a headset because they are the kind and considerate coworker and not because they were a nuisance.

(of course this is for smaller, annoying things. some things need to be addressed head on. no: "i know you didn't mean to embezzle from the pension fund.")

good luck. i hope she responds well.

Thanks, I know exactly what I need to do...but you know, complaining is easier then confronting the problem. :) Until I do, I am going to start reacting to her speakerphone conversations, because that's just really funny. Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:35 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I love my office. I do not love that when an appointment that I did not make is not one he wants to take.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

maybe not annoying, but i'm supposed to be editing a colleague's work today.... a huge job. his updates have said to be scared, very scared, it's a crazy difficult job. Was supposed to be in my inbox at 6am, because it's an impossible deadline. I dragged my hungover asparagus (poker night last night) out of bed at 6 and my colleague hasn't sent it to me yet, just sent me a skype saying he'd send it in an hour. Fun fact: he was at the football game last night (I saw him on TV in the stands!) instead of working. I am relieved, but his asparagus is on the line if it's late, not mine.
Not annoying, i suppose....it is so interesting to see how different people prioritize/work with deadlines.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

whoa! with your competitor, do they just hand in the google translated copy, or do they at least read it through to make sure it makes sense? oy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i got the job! i'm 75 pages in! at this rate we'll all be okay.

my competitor, poor squishy, i went to her ratings page (on a really widely used translator forum) and all her endorsements were from crepe places (of the "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" school of translating). maybe she's earning 11,000 pesos or lire a month, not reais or dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:10 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Stop asking me to come in on my days off. I am the only person with any flexibility, I get it. But at the same time I feel like I am being primed to take over an office I don't want to take over.
I love the job, I love the work, I am so not in love with how they all wait until the last minute and do not communicate.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:26 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Our office is pretty cool and casual and I'm 100% down with that, but part and parcel of the casual part is knowing when to knuckle down and not fork around because maybe your office neighbor is working on an insane deadline. Like, maybe, don't play music 9 hours a day, 5 days a week? Would a few hours of just ambient silence be horrible?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I keep getting bumped out of conference rooms.....annoying.

The reason I book conference rooms is because I am on multiple video/conference calls a day (i had SEVEN today, and that is light for me) and some people were starting to complain that I was too loud and they couldn't get work done.

Fine, ill go in a conference room. and then get kicked out. It was even suggested I take calls in the warehouse (I am in there often since we keep marketing stuff in there). So rude.

I feel bad, sort of, but what can I do? If they want me to be quiet, give me an office or a conference room for calls. I am as quiet as I can be, but when I am on a call with 40+ people and I am leading the call, I have to talk! And I always lead the calls. I am the event coordinator, these are forking EVENT CALLS. (I do not have an especially loud voice. I get asked to speak up a lot in fact)

I have nine calls tomorrow. NINE. NIIIIIIIINNNNNNE. Maybe I will work from home tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:25 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

DO NOT CARE about the wedding planning. Could not care less. Please stop talking about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 am 
WELFARIST!

I have a coworker at the HFS that we shall call A. I have always sort of secretly thought that A didn't like me, just because he seems like a phony when he talks to me and he has told me that he doesn't understand how I work (I have very specific systems for doing things…) and that he thinks that something I initiated there, that everyone else really likes, is a waste of time. He's also really self important, and has a big ol' ego. I recently saw an email he was sending where he gave himself the title 'Assistant to the Assistant Manager'. Dwight Schrute, anyone? Oh, and he's a vegan that eats honey and wears wool. But, you know, whatever. I'm not there to make friends, and I'm usually so exhausted by the time I get there that I just want to power through my work and go home. I don't really want to chit chat, and we tend to disagree, so the less I chit chat with him, the better. So! I get there yesterday evening and I start doing part of back stock, because I heard him mention to the actual assistant manager that it needed doing. I asked him if what I was doing was what needed doing, and he said that the AM had actually worked on that part of back stock all afternoon. I just said I didn't realize, because I had found some stuff that needed putting out, and as I was saying that I would do a different part, he interrupts me and is like, 'Oh, that R! You just can't trust her to do the work!' And his voice is super loud anyway. And she's STILL IN THE STORE. I was like, 'No, I figure people just…bought those things?' And he says, 'That's ok, just throw R under the bus!' And she is seriously within earshot for sure at this point, so I said, 'I wasn't throwing anyone under the bus!' But I figure she didn't hear what I originally said, because my voice is super quiet, just what he said about me saying she wasn't doing her job and throwing her under buses or whatever.

Is this dude totally not self aware, or is he seriously trying to get me fired, or what? Honestly, it would almost be a relief to get fired, because I am working way too much anyway, and fork that noise. But I'd rather my manager not think I was talking shiitake about her. But I'm not sure how to tell her that without it looking like I'm talking shiitake about him. Stupid forking minimum wage bullshiitake jobs.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I dunno, it sounds like A doesn't need a whole lot of help making himself look like an asparagus!

That said, I totally understand your concerns, especially about your AM overhearing his half of the convo and not yours. And this being the Real World and thus Not Very Fair, he probably gets away with a lot more shitty behavior simply because he's a guy and it's interpreted as more 'natural' or 'initiative-taking' for him to be an aggressive jerk.

I think you can approach the AM without necessarily looking like you're 'tattling' on A. Just say something like "hey, the other day, I know you were within earshot, I hope you didn't think I was actually throwing you under the bus like A was saying. I just noticed some stock needed to be put out, and I didn't think it was because you hadn't done your job- I just figured customers had bought stuff so I was restocking. I didn't mean to step on your toes or imply you didn't do your job, and I'm sorry if it came across like that" or whatever it is, and you can leave him out of it almost entirely. As for him, just give him enough rope... he'll hang himself eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:10 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I think you can approach the AM without necessarily looking like you're 'tattling' on A. Just say something like "hey, the other day, I know you were within earshot, I hope you didn't think I was actually throwing you under the bus like A was saying. I just noticed some stock needed to be put out, and I didn't think it was because you hadn't done your job- I just figured customers had bought stuff so I was restocking. I didn't mean to step on your toes or imply you didn't do your job, and I'm sorry if it came across like that" or whatever it is, and you can leave him out of it almost entirely. As for him, just give him enough rope... he'll hang himself eventually.

I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

So remember my post about nepotism? Well we had a surprise meeting today that our company was acquired by another company (scary). They kept saying how they loved our 'family' culture. Even the part about hiring your family members to work for you, and they would continue to do that.

Great.

Also that they wouldn't lay off or fire anyone. Sure...that's why they fired my marketing director LAST WEEK. Now I know why our executives told us to keep quiet about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:44 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am super irritated with the boss right now. I was told he requested something months ago. But he did not and now it is going to infringe on my vacation.
And in these situations, I just have to remind myself that boundaries count for bosses too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

appear at the company where i have a weekly consult/coaching thing. First appointment is at 5. it's quarter of five.
Secretary for Mr First Appointment chit chats with me for ten minutes before she says "oh you're here for Mr 5. He's not here."
I said "you know our arrangement is I need a cancellation by 9"
She says "Oh, well, I didn't get here to work til after 9 today because my daughter's facebook was open and i couldn't pass up the opportunity, so i only got to work at 10."
WHY THE fork would you say that out loud to anyone? Couldn't you at least make up a better excuse than that?

(perhaps unsurprisingly, this is the same person who spelled the name of the company wrong on her linkedin profile)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 am 
WELFARIST!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I dunno, it sounds like A doesn't need a whole lot of help making himself look like an asparagus!

That said, I totally understand your concerns, especially about your AM overhearing his half of the convo and not yours. And this being the Real World and thus Not Very Fair, he probably gets away with a lot more shitty behavior simply because he's a guy and it's interpreted as more 'natural' or 'initiative-taking' for him to be an aggressive jerk.

I didn't say anything to her yesterday (honestly, I forgot and I only saw her as I was coming in and she was leaving), but she seemed pleasant, so maybe she didn't hear or understands already that he is a moron jerkface. Oh, he also takes personal calls from his girlfriend all the time. We're not allowed to have cell phones on the floor, so I guess that's his way of getting around that one.

Gah, just thinking about him gets my blood pressure up. Thankfully, I plan on leaving this job at the end of August, so I won't have to deal with him as a coworker for too much longer.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:47 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

torque wrote:
"Oh, well, I didn't get here to work til after 9 today because my daughter's facebook was open and i couldn't pass up the opportunity, so i only got to work at 10."

This. Is. AMAZING!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:02 am 

also amazing is the fact that she didn't bother cancelling when she got to work at 10:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:53 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I guess I need to accept the fact that I work in a discotheque now. Also, that I am an old woman who uses words like 'discotheque.'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i seem to have some sort of special tag on my gmail messages that make them not be received by colleagues. this has to be the fourth time this has happened with different people-- after YEARS of happy fun correspondence, my emails don't make it into their (gmail) box. deadlines are missed and chaos ensues. i end up sending it to some third party who can receive the attachments just fine, and after a week or two they go back to receiving my emails again.
in this day and age, the missing email thing just shouldn't happen. i don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Ugh. Please don't be late to meetings on my days off. I work more than one job. My time ia just as important

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:43 am 

torque, have you contacted google? (i wonder if it's that jerkwad marking you as spam.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:13 pm 

now that i think of it, if there aren't too many colleagues, asking them to put your address in their contacts and possibly set up a filter for your messages to never to go to spam, that'd solve this whole thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next