| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 am 
Lime and a Coconut

rachell37 wrote:

ETA - Someone just came over to ask me if the form that was in the annual leave folder was the form they should be using to request annual leave.

That is the worst! I once had a coworker ask me "now, when the fax says 'this many pages', does that include cover page?" She was pointing to our fax cover sheet, which literally reads: "This fax is ____ pages, including cover sheet." Thankfully she was only filling in for a coworker and I only had to deal with her for 3 days, but that stuff drives me up a goddamn wall.
happy apple wrote:
I sometimes have to share an office with a sniffer.... he hasn't got a cold, it's not the occasional sniff, not once an hour, not even once every five minutes..... it's 3 or 4 times on the trot every other second, it is like breathing to him, people outside my office can hear it, it's like a dripping tap, it's been driving me insane for over a year, I've taken to listening to my mp3 constantly when he's in my room to block it out, I've tried earplugs but they don't block it out he's so loud..... the bloke I had before him used to do smelly farts a lot, I'd rather have him back!

There is someone in my office right now who isn't a prolific sniffer, but her nostrils make the weirdest, most distinctive sound when she sniffs and has become a pet peeve. It's kind of like a seat cushion that rapidly shoots air out of it when you sit on it, or like a plastic bulb that's being squeezed- it's this "whoosh" sound that should not be coming from someone's face- it took me almost a month to figure out what that sound was and where the hell it was coming from. I'm convinced it sounds like that because she ruined her septum doing coke or huffing chemical solvents. Probably not, but I like to think that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:43 am 
WELFARIST!

I dated a guy with tourettes, and his tic was sniffing every few seconds. None of the usual stuff that people associate with tourettes (the cursing, etc), just sniffing. Maybe that's what's going on with your coworker? (Not that it wouldn't be annoying to have to listen to.)

So, I am legitimately worried about going back in to work at the HFS today. I'm wearing jeans, but they are mighty tight. But I'm also wearing a tunic t-shirt with them. But I'm also wearing the boots, which I'm thinking might have also been part of the problem? I don't even know. I'm just nervous because this is obviously more of a personal problem with B and not a mere dress code violation. I'm not trying to be defiant by wearing tight jeans, really, I just want to wear my new boots and they only work with tight pants! This is all so stupid. I was doing just fine there, minding my own business, not trying to peas anyone off. I feel like I'm being picked on.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Okay, so first big rant about my newish job that I started in January. My supervisor! So I'm a copywriter for this big project, and time is of the essence blah blah blah so we have these aggressive "targets" for how much writing we are to accomplish in a day. In the team of 5 of us, none of us ever reach the target because it's, frankly, completely outlandish. Every hour or so, this supervisor (who I actually call B to Trevor, but B for bisque...) comes over and asks how we're doing, what "blockers" are in our way, and how we can improve. Well, a big "blocker" is her coming over and asking us what our "blockers" are! And then no matter how we bust our butts, it's always, "Can you do better?" bisque, I'm doing my best and if it were possible to work faster, we'd all be doing that.

Seriously. I've never been more exhausted since starting this job, since the goals are so lofty and yet it's downright expected to be a writing superhero who can, each day, churn out 60 — count 'em — technical product descriptions (short and long), benefits, suggested applications and a whole slew of other stuff for VERY TECHNICAL PRODUCTS where there is currently no existing information for.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:08 am 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
There is someone in my office right now who isn't a prolific sniffer, but her nostrils make the weirdest, most distinctive sound when she sniffs and has become a pet peeve. It's kind of like a seat cushion that rapidly shoots air out of it when you sit on it, or like a plastic bulb that's being squeezed- it's this "whoosh" sound that should not be coming from someone's face- it took me almost a month to figure out what that sound was and where the hell it was coming from. I'm convinced it sounds like that because she ruined her septum doing coke or huffing chemical solvents. Probably not, but I like to think that.

Oh my god this reminds me of the guy that sits directly behind me (hope he's not peeping my screen). He burps constantly, but it's the weirdest burp ever — he sounds like a deflating balloon! It's not a grumble or a burrrrp it's just this hsssssss. I pay him back by farting silently a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

paprikapapaya wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Oh my god this reminds me of the guy that sits directly behind me (hope he's not peeping my screen). He burps constantly, but it's the weirdest burp ever — he sounds like a deflating balloon! It's not a grumble or a burrrrp it's just this hsssssss. I pay him back by farting silently a lot.

My old cube neighbor used to clear his throat all day, constantly. It totally wasn't anything he could control; he was on a blood pressure med that made his throat really dry. But I think he's damaged his throat by clearing it so much that now his throat clearing sounds like weird burps. I liked the guy, but I don't miss listening to constant weird burping all day.

Now my only coworker sleeps much of the day, barks more than I'd like, and wants to lay on my lap while I'm trying to write cover letters and submit applications.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

monkeytoes wrote:
Now my only coworker sleeps much of the day, barks more than I'd like, and wants to lay on my lap while I'm trying to write cover letters and submit applications.

I thought you meant a PERSON at first and my reaction was all: Wow, I had a coworker who slept at her desk, too. Her cubicle was tucked way in the back and she'd nap back there, just put her head on her desk and doze a couple of midday hours away when she was expected to be working. If you went back there, you'd wake her up. A regular daily occurrence.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:22 pm 
Dead by dawn

seitanicverses wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

I thought you meant a PERSON at first and my reaction was all: Wow, I had a coworker who slept at her desk, too. Her cubicle was tucked way in the back and she'd nap back there, just put her head on her desk and doze a couple of midday hours away when she was expected to be working. If you went back there, you'd wake her up. A regular daily occurrence.

I used to have a (yes, human) coworker who would curl up under her desk and nap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

monkeytoes wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

I used to have a (yes, human) coworker who would curl up under her desk and nap.

I feel like doing that sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

Very Costanza of her.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

allularpunk wrote:
Very Costanza of her.

You beat me to it!!
My contribution: nail clipping co-workers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I sit near a chronic sniffer, too. It's awful!! She has a box of kleenex sitting right beside her - LEARN HOW TO USE IT. She also coughs a lot without covering her mouth. She also feels it is appropriate to put in her headphones and then sing along with the music. Man I hate open concept offices.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

happy apple wrote:
I sometimes have to share an office with a sniffer.... he hasn't got a cold, it's not the occasional sniff, not once an hour, not even once every five minutes..... it's 3 or 4 times on the trot every other second, it is like breathing to him, people outside my office can hear it, it's like a dripping tap, it's been driving me insane for over a year, I've taken to listening to my mp3 constantly when he's in my room to block it out, I've tried earplugs but they don't block it out he's so loud..... the bloke I had before him used to do smelly farts a lot, I'd rather have him back!

Gah!! I have a chronic sniffer too. The sniffing I can handle but he often sniffs the snot out of his nose into his mouth and then spits it into a kleenex. Which he then puts in his trash can at his desk. It is the grossest thing I have ever had to sit near all day. At least he isn't in my direct work area, but I can hear him so loudly at my desk. Yuck!!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think I am the annoying co-worker, which is partly why I try not to sit near other people. I sing to myself, always have done, can't really help it, sometimes don't know I'm even doing it until I surface. I also mutter. I do tell any new people in hearing distance that I won't be offended if they tell me to shut up though!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just took 2 days off after having my wisdom teeth pulled (the dentist recommended at least 4 days), and a coworker made a comment about me enjoying my vacation and said that they were "impressed" that I had "the guts" to take so long, because they "would be bleeding on the floors" before considering taking "so long." Seriously?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

See, my coworker whose arm is too sore to type took an entire month off when she had her wisdom teeth removed. In no universe is 2 days (or even 4) an unreasonable sick leave for that kind of operation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was a hot mess for at least a week after I got my wisdom teeth out (my husband wouldn't kiss me because I couldn't brush my teeth, and the combo of several days of blood and morning breath was lethal), so I commend you for only taking 2 days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:05 am 

What?! That's insane, mooo. I couldn't function for several days afterwards.

I had a coworker that was sort of like that. He never took any vacation time and was a miserable workaholic and tried to make people feel guilty if they were to use their allotted time off which they are entitled to. "Must be nice to have time to do that!" And he was just a graphic designer...like, dude, you're not a surgeon. You can take time off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, pp, that sounds so annoying.

When the person who used to be the receptionist covered for me last Friday, the Finance person gave her something that she used to do and asked who did it now. Instead of alerting me to it, she left it in my tray which I pretty much never look at (I don't even call it an in-tray in case people get the impression that they can put stuff in it and it will actually be acknowledged). I happened to see it a couple days later. The thing is, she never showed me what to do for this particular activity, and she never wrote a procedure for it. So I've asked her twice now to show me what to do and even pointed out that I tried to figure it out myself (impossible) and that I thought I'd done it before (years ago) but obviously hadn't. She won't even get back to me with a timeline on when she might be able to afford me two minutes to go over it. She's always had an attitude of "not my job, not my concern", but she's even gotten to the point where I'll try to put calls through to her that are exactly what her job is for and she'll huff and whinge and even sometimes get me to take a message. And I think because I cover for her when she's off, there's this implicit assumption that I'll just take care of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:35 am 
Impressive boner

A newish colleague speaks on the phone quite loudly in order to overcome his stutter. I understand and appreciate why he does it, but his voice really, really carries.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

mooo wrote:
I just took 2 days off after having my wisdom teeth pulled (the dentist recommended at least 4 days), and a coworker made a comment about me enjoying my vacation and said that they were "impressed" that I had "the guts" to take so long, because they "would be bleeding on the floors" before considering taking "so long." Seriously?

UGH! This is reminding me of someone who was telling me that even if she has a 102 fever and has the flu, she refuses to stay home and she still does all of her errands and goes to school and work and that it doesn't matter if she gets everyone else sick, because she got sick from people doing the same thing, and anyone who stays home is a "spoiled princess".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah I mean everyone is different. When I had my teeth out I went to roller derby practice the same day and I was fine. But other people have terrible nausea or pain or whatever. But I'm not going to compare my experience to anyone else. I think it's so weird that people try to one up each other with recovery time or showing some kind of "toughness" by working through illness instead of being kind to your body and healing.

Just as an example have IBS and sometimes I can't work because of the pain and nausea but I've had coworkers frequently dismiss my illness as "just a stomach ache".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

Even worse is when a supervisor or manager decides that their personal experience with an ailment should become the benchmark for validity of sick leave. A friend was just telling me about her co-worker who developed a bad inner-ear infection. She had to take a day (just one day!) off work because of it, and her supervisor's response was "oh come on, I've had ear infections before and still come to work, you'll be fine." So now this poor girl is worried about taking one single sick day off work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:00 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Since being sick is a medical issue and medical stuff falls under the HIPPA privacy laws, would that make it unlawful for co-workers to even know the details of an ailment?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:27 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I travel a lot for work. I have heard people say that I sure take a lot of PTO/Vacation time. "must be nice, you were gone a whole week!" or "did you have a nice vacation? You sure are gone a lot". When I say "oh, I was on a business trip! I was at a conference in Orlando" or whatever, I get the old: "Oh well that is practically a vacation!" Or "Same thing as a vacation. Wish I got paid to go to XXX"

What. I am working when I am gone. Literally, the last time I took a PTO day was April 2013. I lose 1-2 weekends per trip, and work an average of 16 hours a day.

Really irks me when people say stuff like this. If you want to be in events, travel and do 'fun' stuff, then come work for me and my team! It's not rocket science. You just have to start at the bottom as an assistant. Most people get pretty tired of it after the first year and call it quits. Why? Because it is HARD. LOOOOOONG hours. Mucho travel. Stressful deadlines (but of course I love it 90% of the time)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oh my god sniffers. i worked with a sniffer-snorter-hacker-palm wiper for almost 4 years. First I assumed he was sick. Then I assumed it was allergies. Then realized it was just him, 24/7/365.
He snorted and sniffed and hacked constantly, and he would edge too close into your space and then hack with his mouth open right into your face and you'd leap back in panic and go "jesus _____ what the hell man" and he'd be all offended and wonder why nobody wanted to share their classrooms or team teach with him. he also didn't brush his teeth. God, I haven't thought about him for years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next