| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:22 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

supercarrot wrote:
now that i think of it, if there aren't too many colleagues, asking them to put your address in their contacts and possibly set up a filter for your messages to never to go to spam, that'd solve this whole thing.

I can't speak for torque, but in my experience, asking co-workers to do minor technical adjustments to make life and work easier is much easier said than done. Not that they're malicious or careless, just that many people become hopelessly overwhelmed by things that may seem fairly simple to more tech-minded individuals such as those of us puttering around on the PPK all day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

that's what one colleague eventually did and solved the situation (filter solution).
the thing is, after years of email exchanges, i am in their contacts? (they are in mine, at least).
in any case, the person just emailed and said that my email from friday 8am had just arrived now (monday lunch). i have sent various test messages to and from my email and nothing seems wrong. this person in particular seems to have lots of technical challenges, not only in gmail but also in dropbox and also in the software that we all use, so i think it's more her side than mine.

different gripe: if you ask me for a recommendation or for me to forward your name to clients, and i say i need to see your work/results first, i'm not a crasshole, i'm a professional. insisting or being jerky is really not going to change the situation in your favor!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

aah. understandable.
(and despite having been using gmail since it was in beta, i have very few people actually saved in my contacts. i just never really found it necessary.)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I know I am extra twitchy on Friday but this one boss guy here drives me nuts at times.

Imagine you are an investigator with experience, smarts and contacts. You spend the better part of a week trying to track someone down , use all your inside info, techniques, contacts, travel to another part of the province to physically search. You come up with nothing, which is unusual as you are good at your job. You write your report and submit it in person to this boss person, explaining everything you have done and (not) found. He listens carefully and then smiles brightly, "Just a sec. I have an idea," then turns to his computer, types the person's name into Google and says, "Let's see what we can find."

This is an analogy. Only the frustration is real.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Arisaig wrote:
I know I am extra twitchy on Friday but this one boss guy here drives me nuts at times.

Imagine you are an investigator with experience, smarts and contacts. You spend the better part of a week trying to track someone down , use all your inside info, techniques, contacts, travel to another part of the province to physically search. You come up with nothing, which is unusual as you are good at your job. You write your report and submit it in person to this boss person, explaining everything you have done and (not) found. He listens carefully and then smiles brightly, "Just a sec. I have an idea," then turns to his computer, types the person's name into Google and says, "Let's see what we can find."

This is an analogy. Only the frustration is real.

Hahaha! That is exactly what my husband's boss is like! He does that sort of thing to him all the time! I love the analogy.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:23 pm 
Impressive boner

I have a very loud co-worker who talks about his new tv and car, his new phone, about the bets he's made at the bookies, about whatever meat he's eaten and also tells sexist jokes. He has no idea how much his voice carries. He was hotdesking near me today and I had a ball ready to throw at him.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am 
Saggy Butt

So many condescending emails received from the same coworker today that I'm about ready to snap! I've never been so happy that someone was in a different country then me. Why are people such dicks when they can't see you?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:24 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Ugh... Don't text me telling me you need to explain something to me so that it doesn't ruin my already ruined tomorrow, and then not explain it! Tomorrow is already messed up because I am alone and I will have to deal with nutso clients. But adding that mysterious stress to me is not going to help.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:36 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

My coworkers love life-tales are driving me up the wall. I think we're onto dude #4,682. Every one of them all being a Total Flake Crasshole And Why Won't He Text Me Omg.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:13 am 
Saggy Butt

I just started a new job in an entirely new field a month ago and will end up in management so i am currently learning all the different non-medical jobs to do around the office, and since we switched to a new computer software monday, I got the distinct pleasure of learning TWO entirely different computer programs to do all functions around the office (and I work at a recently purchased satelite office once per week as well, so I also had to learn a third program to get the new one up and running, but that is neither here nor there).
Most people are obviously frustrated, and I understand it is annoying to have to learn a whole new system to do your job, but they are at least making an honest effort, because they know that the more they get into it and figure stuff out, the faster their lives an go back to normal.
My problem is that there are a couple humans who have pretty much decided they don't want to learn anything new, and since I've taken to the new software much more easily than the old (it's legitimately much easier to use, and is cloud based and the people who made is are constantly adding new functionality AT THE REQUEST of the people who actually use it on a daily basis) I've been put in the position of in-office tech support. (which i don't mind, at one point I trained cashiers and really enjoyed it)
I snapped on a woman at the end of the day yesterday, who has done nothing but complain in her stupid mouse voice. And said "listen, if you need help, I can help, If you can't do something and would like to do something, we can make a suggestion to the people who make the software, but if you're just going to complain, I don't want to hear it and it makes me not want to help you"

grrrr. apparently she told on me, but seriously, she's got the easiest job in the office and in the past month I've been learning ALL OF THE JOBS and three computer softwares and trying to figure out what it all MEANS. STFU if you have to scan in files a slightly different way.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 am 
Lime and a Coconut

That sucks! i have a little bit of experience in this. In the last couple of months we completely revamped our phone system (and in the past two years did a complete server upgrade). This is always baffling to people who have difficulty learning new things and just prefer the old system. I hear a lot of "this new system is bullshiitake!" because they don't yet understand it. There are definitely things about the new system I don't like, but the more I learn about it the more I think "oh yeah, now we're in the 21st century with everyone else."

You know what they say, the computer is only as smart as the user...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:59 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Norelle, I get that it's frustrating to work with consistently negative people who don't want to learn new things and bisque more than everyone else about things everyone has to deal with, but maybe she's having a genuinely awful time of it? Is there anything she does well that you can think about focussing on when you have to interact with her? It doesn't sound like you have a lot of respect for her at the moment and maybe that comes across to her, and probably won't help the situation.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:14 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

So our xerox machine is a horrible, cursed piece of crepe that, when confronted with a pdf, will want to print at an average rate of 1 page per every 20-120 seconds. Not great when you're a law office and 75% of what you're printing is evidence against your client, in pdf form, hundreds of pages of it.

Our compromise (or at least mine, since this usually ends up being my job) is to print batches of 10-20 pages at a time, that way you're holding up the machine for a wee bit but not too long, and in between your 'batches' all the other print jobs from the 20+ staff also sharing this machine are able to come through, which is important when you're working on a sudden deadline (or about to run out the door to court), as a lot of our attorneys are.

There is one attorney's assistant who is constantly printing hundreds of pages at a time. I have asked her so many times, always pleasantly, to break it up into smaller jobs. Every time she's like "OK!" then goes and does it again. Monday morning she claimed her attorney needed everything she was printing because she was going to go straight to court with it. Except two other days this week she's held up the printer with giant print jobs. So again this morning, after waiting half an hour for my stuff to come out, I say to her "I know I sound like a broken record, but can you please print in small batches."

So she starts arguing with me! Saying she's not the only one who does it, to which I reply "well, you're the one doing it right now." She responds by saying I do it, and I say "I've been waiting on a print job which I've broken up into six segments." And she starts to argue again.

Just forking apologize and walk away!!! jesus christ!!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

as color laserjets become less expensive, people upgrade. perhaps there's an old B&W laserjet at the thrift store that you can use to print the PDFs? or maybe you can post an ISO on craigslist?

(pretty sure it'll be much quicker when you don't have to send the PDF through the network. also, another option. is it possible to ask the IT guy if there's a way to hook it up directly to a computer while also allowing it access to the network? if you're the only person who regularly prints giant PDFs, maybe that'd be a better option. and that way, you might be able to print the other woman's PDFs from your computer to speed things up a little.)

::edit:: also, this way, you're much less likely to get one client's printouts mixed in with another's.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:20 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

That sounds like a lot of work for me. I like the option where she's simply more respectful of other people.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:53 am 
Saggy Butt

dropscone wrote:
Norelle, I get that it's frustrating to work with consistently negative people who don't want to learn new things and bisque more than everyone else about things everyone has to deal with, but maybe she's having a genuinely awful time of it? Is there anything she does well that you can think about focussing on when you have to interact with her? It doesn't sound like you have a lot of respect for her at the moment and maybe that comes across to her, and probably won't help the situation.

Honestly, It's totally her personality about all things. We have this set up where there are video games for the kids to play with while they wait for their appointments. One of the playstations broke, and we upgraded it to an xbox 360. It's her job to turn them on in the morning (literally just pressing the on button, nothing more.) and she complained for WEEKS that the xbox was sooooooo much harder to turn on because the button looked different.
She's got this cheerful voice and is a great receptionist and all our patients think she's super nice. but whenever she doesn't have a patient in front of her, she's just a big sack of negativity.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:49 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Ugh. Forced to listen to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:18 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

So, by forced, you mean, were super excited, right?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mars wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

So, by forced, you mean, were super excited, right?

She...had...the time of her life, and she'd never felt that way before. I swear, it's the truth!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:39 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I will never understand people who think it's cool to force their musical tastes on others. Personally, I think I have awesome taste in music, but even so, I'm not about to subject my coworkers (had I any) to an 8:30 am blasting of Electric Wizard.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:51 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

jordanpattern wrote:
I will never understand people who think it's cool to force their musical tastes on others. Personally, I think I have awesome taste in music, but even so, I'm not about to subject my coworkers (had I any) to an 8:30 am blasting of Electric Wizard.

Your musical taste is 465% better than what I am being forced to listen to, and I still appreciate that you have very good headphones. Electric Wizard is awesome, but time and place, you know? It's not so much what they're playing (although it often is) as the fact that there's always some kind of noise all day long. There's nothing wrong with a little silence and/or ambient noise here and there, especially in the workplace. Because of how my head works, I could not listen to my favorite music at work because whenever my favorite part of my favorite song comes up, I'll be reminded of that accounting chart I did in Excel last time I was rockin' out.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 pm 

Yeah, joking aside, it's hard for me to work sometimes with too much music stimulation. It depends on what exactly I'm doing, but I definitely find myself turning the volume off a lot of times at my work.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

i don't put up with that shiitake anymore - i respond with something like "the way you're talking to me right now is making it hard for me to take you seriously..." or "if you're not feeling well there's no need to take it out on me..." - and most of the time they act like they didn't realize they were doing anything wrong... sometimes they apologize, but not often.

Maggie Muggins wrote:
So many condescending emails received from the same coworker today that I'm about ready to snap! I've never been so happy that someone was in a different country then me. Why are people such dicks when they can't see you?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am 
Impressive boner

I have a colleague who has always looked at me like I'm a piece of shiitake, ever since she joined the company. I have no idea why as we've never even had a conversation, so no opportunity for any unpleasantness to take place. She doesn't make a sneering expression at anyone else. We don't work in the same area of the office but I dread seeing her in the kitchen, bathroom or corridor. I'm really tempted to ask her what her problem is.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:31 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Today, I am my own annoying coworker. I found a note on my desk in my writing that just says "file all the things." I have no idea what I meant, as everything was filed away when I left last week.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next