| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 pm 
A Bad Person

What I'm learning from this thread is that if my respiratory system isn't in perfect working order, I shouldn't bother getting a job working around people because I'll annoy them and get complained about all day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:09 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

True story, happened to my former co-worker at a job several years ago. Our mutual supervisor (rotten bisque, laid me off but managed to find three positions in quick succession at the same company for her loser husband) was giving him grief for taking a week off to have a vacation with his husband (newlyweds) and their newly-adopted 2 and 4 year-old children.

"You were just off for six months," she complains.

"I was in treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma." Was his truthful response.

These are the fun times to be had working at a LABOR UNION, people! Solidarity for all, worker's rights are human rights, etc!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow, mine doesn't really compare to that.

One of my co-workers suddenly decided that she wanted to continue working after 5pm on Friday. I was waiting for other people to assemble before we went out for someone's leaving party. She came over to me and said the printer was out of toner *as I was putting on my coat*. I was kinda like, OK? So I grabbed the toner (all of which was sitting in front of the desk across from mine) and put it next to the printer. A couple minutes later, she came back over and asked if I'd changed the toner! I told her I put the toner next to the printer, but I was done working. And then everyone else laughed, and one of my other colleagues said I deserved a high-five for that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:38 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

rachell37 wrote:

One of my co-workers suddenly decided that she wanted to continue working after 5pm on Friday. I was waiting for other people to assemble before we went out for someone's leaving party. She came over to me and said the printer was out of toner *as I was putting on my coat*. I was kinda like, OK? So I grabbed the toner (all of which was sitting in front of the desk across from mine) and put it next to the printer. A couple minutes later, she came back over and asked if I'd changed the toner! I told her I put the toner next to the printer, but I was done working. And then everyone else laughed, and one of my other colleagues said I deserved a high-five for that.

::facepalm::

Your restraint is admirable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Any situation with a coworker is annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mooo wrote:
I just took 2 days off after having my wisdom teeth pulled (the dentist recommended at least 4 days), and a coworker made a comment about me enjoying my vacation and said that they were "impressed" that I had "the guts" to take so long, because they "would be bleeding on the floors" before considering taking "so long." Seriously?

Yes, this is exactly the person I want delivering babies. What the fork.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:37 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

mooo wrote:
I just took 2 days off after having my wisdom teeth pulled (the dentist recommended at least 4 days), and a coworker made a comment about me enjoying my vacation and said that they were "impressed" that I had "the guts" to take so long, because they "would be bleeding on the floors" before considering taking "so long." Seriously?

That's ridiculous. I took 3 days off for my wisdom teeth (all 4 at once) and got a world of shiitake for it, too. Worst "vacation" ever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:14 am 
Saggy Butt

Some things with coworkers doesn't bother me (loud voices etc) but I work in a team of five (used to be 12 but 7 people have left and not been replaced through budget cuts), we have to cover the phones from 09:00 - 18:00 but only work 7 hours a day (with a half hour lunch on top) so we have a rota with 2 people starting at 10:30 and working till 18:00. We cannot have one person on their own due to a lone worker policy so there must always be 2 of us in. This works fine when all five of us are in or when 1 person is off, but when 2 people are off someone has to work the full 9 hours. I do this all the time, as do 2 of my colleagues, we are as flexible as possible to allow 2 or even 3 people to be off. However the other 2 staff refuse to do this and I find it so annoying.
Last Friday I was supposed to be baby sitting for my sister at 18:30, it takes me an hour to get home but was supposed to be leaving at 16:30, then 2 people then took the day off. One colleague said he would work the long shift but we needed someone else to stay till 18:00. Stupidly I said I would do if my my other colleague (who lives 10 minutes away and knew about my babysitting plans) couldn't. She point blank refused, left at 16:30 and spent the evening watching TV.
I had to arrange for someone else to stay at my sisters until I arrived at 19:00.
I have made it known to my supervisor and informed him that I will no longer be providing cover for these 2 staff.

And another thing! I live 20 miles away, travel on two trains and walk several miles to get to work but am always in on time, but the one person who lives closest (2 miles away) and drives is late 4 out of five days a week.

π

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:48 am 
WELFARIST!

B continues to be even more of a bisque! I've been giving her the silent treatment unless she speaks directly to me, and then I just answer in the most minimal way possible. She has taken to being around the HFS section way more than normal when I'm working, and does this totally annoying thing where if she sees ANY customer, whether the look like they need help or not, and goes up to them and says super loudly, 'HAS ANYONE HELPED YOU? DOES ANYONE WORK BACK HERE?' I'm always either with another customer or doing a task, I'm never just goofing around doing nothing. It's like she's being as loud as possible in the hopes that a manager will hear her and think I'm slacking off. Which is annoying in the first place, but she took it to a new level last night. My HFS coworker had clocked out at 8, and I was there til 9 to close. He was in the store still in order to buy some things, but didn't have his smock on (which signifies that we are working). There was a customer in the drinks aisle, who had not asked for help, and I was in the supplements aisle helping another customer. I hear her say her usual, 'DO YOU NEED HELP? IS NO ONE ELSE BACK HERE?' and she pointed my off the clock coworker in his direction! The guy didn't even need anything! Gahhhh, I hate her so much!!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 pm 
Dead by dawn

Even as a customer, B would drive me nuts. I hate when people in retail are super aggressive about "helping" me. I know the culture of a lot of stores/managers requires them to, so I don't blame them. But most of the time I'd rather be left alone and if I need help I'll ask.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

monkeytoes wrote:
Even as a customer, B would drive me nuts. I hate when people in retail are super aggressive about "helping" me. I know the culture of a lot of stores/managers requires them to, so I don't blame them. But most of the time I'd rather be left alone and if I need help I'll ask.

I couldn't agree more. I have started avoiding shops where the staff are too attentive (I think twice before entering Lush but its worth it when I decide to go in)

π

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Star wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I have started avoiding shops where the staff are too attentive (I think twice before entering Lush but its worth it when I decide to go in)

This is the exact shop that popped into my head. There have been so many times that I've gone in there and might have spent loads of money if they'd just left me to my own devices, but nearly every employee approached me within 5 minutes. Sometimes I'm tempted to walk in there with a sign round my neck saying "If I need help, I'll ask." This is probably why I didn't last long there when I was a Xmas temp during uni (that and the fact that they assigned me to the lower-volume store and set impossible-to-reach goals that they didn't even tell me about after having put me through a training session where the trainer claimed that we didn't have to sell aggressively).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Climbing and outdoors shops always seem to be constantly bothering me every time I go in to the point of trying to avoid going there as much as possible. My personal least favourite is the (pretty much always white male) staff who try and patronise me by giving me unsolicited suggestions about climbing/PPE gear, usually suggesting a different kind of kit to the one that I am trying to buy, despite the fact that I actually work in the at height industry and therefore generally know exactly what I need and what the alternative equipment is anyway, and often seem to know this better than the staff. The "If I need help, I'll ask" sign is starting to sound appealing!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't mind the "Do you need help?" but when I say no, it means no, dangit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

AP - i used to have a co-worker kinda like B. drove me up the wall! I was a sales rep in a paint/home decor dept of a store, and her job would be to handle custom blind orders and sell blinds off the rack. i only worked in paint, but was expected to help out in blinds when it got busy. i was also often the only person in paint who went over to blinds when it was busy because my paint co-workers were afraid of the blind cutting machinery. we would often work together alone. she would chit chat with other people who worked in the store during less busy times, and as soon as any customers appeared during our busy hours, she would disappear into the break room while on the clock to do the ordering paperwork, which could have easily been done in the first hours of her shift when virtually no one comes into the store. so i would be stuck tinting paint and cutting blinds alone in two totally different areas of the store. having one person cover two departments where items have to be modified before they are purchased does not work! anyways, despite disappearing all the time, every time i went on break she would be like, 'you took an extra minute! i didn't think you would come back! i was all alone and was going to call the manager to report you.' she would also try to pull me out of my lunch break to mix paint when it wasn't even busy and try to frame it like i wasn't working hard enough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

::facepalm::

Your restraint is admirable.

UPDATE! Of course she sent an email to my line manager complaining about it. She probably made something up, or at the very least lied about asking me to do it. But I got in trouble and was told that I should help when I'm asked for help, even if it's after 5 on a forking Friday. The thing that annoys me the most is that this person is horrible to a lot of people (including her admins) and is at times incredibly unprofessional (she once told me, during a conversation in the kitchen, that she was thinking of firing one of her staff). She's even been told to apologise for being shitty to me once (she never did). But for some reason we have to walk on eggshells with her as if she isn't just as replaceable as the rest of us. And she's definitely replaceable because her admin does most of her work. It makes me wonder if she has dirt on someone, or if it's simply because her line manager doesn't have enough backbone to tell her to shape the fork up. And apparently she never changed the toner - my line manager did it when she got in this morning. So I guess, despite always involving herself when things happen with the printer, she never bothered to learn how to change the toner (which is easier than loading paper in the paper trays).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Your workplace makes me angry rachell37. Did you ask the person who told you that if they'd be paying you time-and-a-half or double overtime for situations like that? It's not like you get much job satisfaction from the place so why would they expect you to do them any favours for nothing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's part of the problem with working for a charity - unpaid overtime is pretty much written in to the contract. We're supposed to be happy to give up our time because it's a charity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:29 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

AP, this B sounds like a real B. Is there perhaps the option of you approaching her at a neutral time/place (like in the break room or after you have both clocked out, somewhere away from customers) and talking to her about this? I mean, we all know she sucks, but take the whole kill-em-with-kindness tactic and (pretend to) give her the benefit of the doubt by saying you know she cares about the customers and wants to make sure they are being served, but that you are aware when customers are in your part of the store and that she needs to give you a chance to serve them before she cuts in. Personally speaking, I would be far more put off by a location where the staff appears to be squabbling/trying to undermine each other than staff that is slightly busy or distracted and I might need to ring a bell for service.

I know, I know, it's much easier said than done, and I would be the absolute worst at taking my own advice (I'm really not good at pretending to be happy and polite when I really want to claw someone's eyes). But with this kind of crazy, it's probably the best way to handle it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:34 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

HOW. MANY. SIGNS. Does one office need to establish that single-use aluminum coffee capsules ARE NOT COMPOST? Am I crazy, or are people being willfully obtuse here? Is it a California thing, that I grew up playing tie-dyed hackeysack in an organic heirloom microgreen garden while Jerry Garcia strummed in the background* that I am the only one who magically understands what is 'organic matter' and what is 'landfill'?

*slight exaggeration

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

rachell37 wrote:
That's part of the problem with working for a charity - unpaid overtime is pretty much written in to the contract. We're supposed to be happy to give up our time because it's a charity.

But turn it around! Being a charity implies they should be ethical and not take advantage of the workforce.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

dropscone wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

But turn it around! Being a charity implies they should be ethical and not take advantage of the workforce.

*snort*

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
HOW. MANY. SIGNS. Does one office need to establish that single-use aluminum coffee capsules ARE NOT COMPOST? Am I crazy, or are people being willfully obtuse here? Is it a California thing, that I grew up playing tie-dyed hackeysack in an organic heirloom microgreen garden while Jerry Garcia strummed in the background* that I am the only one who magically understands what is 'organic matter' and what is 'landfill'?

*slight exaggeration

This is me with the recycling at my place. I've sent emails and posted signs, and the recycling boxes themselves say exactly what should and should not go in them. I've pulled all manner of non-recyclable materials out of there. Oh, and the post as well. I have a sign that shows people where to stamp things (for airmail/first class)*, including one with the wrong place to put it and the universal sign for no over it, and there are always some people who stamp it exactly where they shouldn't. In fact, I told someone today if she wanted something sent 1st class, she should stamp it anywhere but there, and that's exactly where she stamped it.

*We frank our stuff, so the franking mark goes where a postage stamp would (as you might expect). We also have ink stamps for 1st class and airmail, and those don't go there (again, as you might expect).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

*slight exaggeration

I thin sometimes people who might tend to be more environmentally aware "imagine" things that are not great for the environment (ie will be landfilled) are actually compstable or recycleble and treat them accordingly. To alleviate guilt or something.

Man, I have had some irritating coworks, but this thread is truly making me appreciate how awesome the two people I work with right now are.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:41 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Olives wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

*slight exaggeration

I thin sometimes people who might tend to be more environmentally aware "imagine" things that are not great for the environment (ie will be landfilled) are actually compstable or recycleble and treat them accordingly. To alleviate guilt or something.

Man, I have had some irritating coworks, but this thread is truly making me appreciate how awesome the two people I work with right now are.

That's understandable, but by the third email and the fifth sign, something should click. There is a huge sign with one of the capsules taped to it and a paper "NO" symbol I cut out, colored red, and taped over the capsule, hanging over the compost bin.

We also have a large, clear sign on the front door asking people not to ring the doorbell unless the front door is locked, but guaranteed at least once a day someone will ring without trying the door first. Sometimes they'll even ring twice, with the sign staring them straight in the eye the whole time. Our non-regular mailman even came up the stairs after ringing twice saying "helloo? Are you open?" I said "yes, the door is unlocked and you don't need to ring the door bell. Did you see the sign?" Apparently you don't need to know how to read in order to deliver mail. It would certainly explain how we constantly end up with mail for the bookstore down the street...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:15 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

rachell37 wrote:

UPDATE! Of course she sent an email to my line manager complaining about it. She probably made something up, or at the very least lied about asking me to do it. But I got in trouble and was told that I should help when I'm asked for help, even if it's after 5 on a forking Friday. The thing that annoys me the most is that this person is horrible to a lot of people (including her admins) and is at times incredibly unprofessional (she once told me, during a conversation in the kitchen, that she was thinking of firing one of her staff). She's even been told to apologise for being shitty to me once (she never did). But for some reason we have to walk on eggshells with her as if she isn't just as replaceable as the rest of us. And she's definitely replaceable because her admin does most of her work. It makes me wonder if she has dirt on someone, or if it's simply because her line manager doesn't have enough backbone to tell her to shape the fork up. And apparently she never changed the toner - my line manager did it when she got in this morning. So I guess, despite always involving herself when things happen with the printer, she never bothered to learn how to change the toner (which is easier than loading paper in the paper trays).

Playing devil's advocate: At the beginning, did everyone laugh and high-five at your refusing to help her, in her presence - or did that come after you left? She may be a shithead, but it looks like everything you did was meant to escalate a bad situation (and show how much you dislike her) rather than foster a kind, safe workplace. Yes, she was rude, but you could have replied "I'm sorry, but it's after 5pm and I'm leaving any second. Here's the toner for you, do you know how to change it?" Also, if it had been one of your other co-workers who had asked for help, would you have given the same response to them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49  Next