| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:43 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Sitting at my desk, clearly eating my lunch, reading my blogs. Someone's assistant comes up and stands over me as I'm eating, asking me a bunch of questions about a computer program. Finally I close my takeout container and say "fine, let's go take a look."

"Oh, you don't have to stop, it can wait until you're done with lunch."

Oh, really? Then why the fork did you come over in the first place?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm 
Semen Strong

This thread is funny, horrible and oddly reassuring. I've had so many crappy experiences with co-workers and its good to know that its pretty much universal.

I would love to work somewhere with coworkers who weren't partly giant toddlers and partly on a egotistical powertrips, but I expect being a lawyer makes that nearly impossible to find. I think the whole phenomenon of people running to their managers to 'look good' and telling on others, without making any attempt to raise it to the other person is so annoying and such a childish dynamic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Personally speaking, I would be far more put off by a location where the staff appears to be squabbling/trying to undermine each other...

This is a really good point and speaks to my own experience. When I bought my condo five years ago (right in the throes of the 2009 recession) I went furniture shopping for stuff for my new place and I remember someone asked me for help and I wasn't ready for help at that moment (was still looking) and then a few minutes later, another lady asked me for help at which point I allowed her to help me because I'd looked around the store and had made my selections by then. Anyway, it came to light that there was so much tension between the first person who asked me for help and the second person because (unbeknownst to me or I would have taken this into more consideration) these salesfolk were working on commission and, I suppose, I should have gone to the first person who asked to help me and given HER my commission rather than going with the second lady who wound up getting my commission. But I dunno, I'm just a dumb customer and what the fork do I know about the inner workings of this corporation and happenstance just happened to make me screw salesperson #1 out of their commission? But yeah, that was five years ago and I still remember the discomfort between them and glaring daggers back and forth between the salespeople and I still actually feel bad about that. Like I should have known. But why am I feeling bad now about squabbling in a place I shop at? I still do not have a good feeling about that place but what does it have to do with me? It's just the way the corporation pays their staff that makes it so cutthroat that the tension spilled into my experience in their shop and that's not a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 pm 
Dead by dawn

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Sitting at my desk, clearly eating my lunch, reading my blogs. Someone's assistant comes up and stands over me as I'm eating, asking me a bunch of questions about a computer program. Finally I close my takeout container and say "fine, let's go take a look."

"Oh, you don't have to stop, it can wait until you're done with lunch."

Oh, really? Then why the fork did you come over in the first place?

This was Every. Single. Coworker. I had at my last job. I mean, yeah, I could have eaten my lunch in the lunch room, but I preferred to stay at my desk and fork around on the PPK or facebook. But I'm clearly taking my allotted lunch break - leave me alone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jill wrote:
Playing devil's advocate: At the beginning, did everyone laugh and high-five at your refusing to help her, in her presence - or did that come after you left? She may be a shithead, but it looks like everything you did was meant to escalate a bad situation (and show how much you dislike her) rather than foster a kind, safe workplace. Yes, she was rude, but you could have replied "I'm sorry, but it's after 5pm and I'm leaving any second. Here's the toner for you, do you know how to change it?" Also, if it had been one of your other co-workers who had asked for help, would you have given the same response to them?

Do you know what that response would've resulted in? Me doing what she told me to do, because she would've said she didn't know how to change the toner and, by virtue of having asked, I would've been obligated to deal with it.

I don't really see it as refusing to help because she didn't ask for my help - she just expected me to do something for her after I was already (clearly) done for the day. The majority of the exchange happened when no one else was paying attention, and it was all reaction to her attitude and not a considered attempt to humiliate her. Some of the laughter was in the moment after the second exchange, but more like "holy shiitake, I can't believe you stood up to her" directed at me than "haha, you suck" directed at her. The high five wasn't actually a high five, just someone saying I deserved one as he left (out of hearing and visual range of her). It wasn't like everyone was focussed on our conversation and I was subsequently surrounded by people patting me on the back as they pointed and laughed at her.

I've worked with this person for almost 4 years and she's been consistently horrible to more than just me. I feel no obligation to make her work experience better or make her feel good about herself. And yes, I probably would've responded to just about any of my co-workers in the same way (if they'd even had the chance since I'm usually out the door by that time - I just happened to be waiting for people that day).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:15 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

rachell37, I'm sorry you have to work with someone so mean-spirited and that your HR isn't dealing with it. I've been in a couple of unprofessional work situations like that, and having it be ignored rather than dealt with just sucks the life out of me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:21 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

The incompetence of the supervisors of the project I'm on is ASTOUNDING. Like, it hurts my brain to even fathom how these people got their jobs. Their errors have cost my team of copywriters countless hours of frustration and then it gets thrown back onto us for not being able to meet their aggressive deadlines while standing on our heads in a ring of fire etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Jill wrote:
having it be ignored rather than dealt with just sucks the life out of me.

And they dealt with it as far as the instigator is concerned--meaning she complained about rachel and rachel got reprimanded.

I complained about being called on the weekend about trivial matters by a staff member a while back (regarding a very minor technical support issue that self-resolved) and I (sort of) got reprimanded and the triviality instigator didn't. In my case and from my point of view she should have gotten schooled about what constitutes an "emergency" (i.e., anything relating to patient care--interrupt me, I'll get out of bed at 3:00 a.m. for that stuff without a word of complaint but a minor issue of technical support? Don't friggin bother me with that on the weekend. That can wait until Monday). But instead, I was asked to differentiate between emergencies and trivialities like I'm a dumbpants and got the brunt of the fallout on that one. T'aint fair.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:35 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My own annoying coworker situation (which as I'm freelance, luckily I don't have to work with very often) is that another person I occasionally work with as a rigger is, in my opinion, totally incompetent and, frankly, dangerous. He's bought hundreds of pounds worth of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) that he doesn't even know how to use, presumably because owning the kit makes him look more competent. On the last job we worked together I found some very basic rigging he'd done (unsupervised) which could have resulted in a very serious accident, rectified it myself asssuming it was one of the class assistants who'd done it, and only realised that it was him and that he didn't have a clue what he was doing much later. It peas me off because I have the qualifications and experience to recognise this, and yet the person employing us both doesn't see it. Buying a lot of expensive gear doesn't qualify you to have a clue about what you're doing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is there any way you can report him anonymously? That sounds like a potentially bad situation for a lot of people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:53 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

He's talked about going on a training course and getting a proper qualification within the next month or so, which reassures me somewhat. My understanding is that he's not working as a lead rigger on any projects and should, in theory, be under supervision for what he's been doing. Unfortunately, no one told me this before! I haven't worked with him for a while and he doesn't get included on any emails asking for riggers from the company that I see at the moment, but if I have to work with him again I'll be keeping a close eye on what he's doing. Luckily all the other riggers the company employs are highly competent!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I feel bad venting here. Unfortunately it is really the only place to do so.

I was left a bunch of busy work from yesterday that had no messages with it. Which means I can't really finish it if I don't know what is what. Which just makes me look lazy.
It happens all the time, we get an appointment at 4, when we close. We to the bare minimum client openings and save it until the morning. But I always leave a note saying what I have done. I was in an hour this morning sorting out two clients.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:39 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I really don't consider myself intensely computer-literate, but after 20+ years of working various admin/secretarial jobs, I'm fairly competent in Office Suite and all the common programs. Somehow this has elevated me to the level of Computer God at work. This morning I had to show someone how to resize a column in Excel so that the printable page would fit on a sheet of paper. Yesterday my lunch was interrupted (see above) by someone who couldn't figure out why they couldn't open a PDF without using either Reader or Acrobat.

I mean, am I secretly a genius? Because it just doesn't seem like this is super challenging stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
I complained about being called on the weekend about trivial matters by a staff member...

I should explain that I didn't actually complain to my boss about this one like I made it sound there, what I did was I contacted the lady who called me with the BS problem on Monday and told her I'd appreciate she not call me on the weekend if it wasn't an emergency because everyone deserves their uninterrupted downtime yadda yadda. Not rude or snarky but direct and totally civil e-mail. That, I figured, was that. Then, a few days later, she forwarded my e-mail to our big boss saying "If I can't call so-and-so, who should I call?" sort of thing and that's when the back and forth began. Argh, glad I'm not doing any sort of fill-in managing any more. Nothing but headaches! Tedious headaches!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

3/4 of my booth staff (at a tradeshow currently) didn't show up for their shifts today. Apparently they were out drinking until 4am

SO IRRITATING. Now I have to tell their managers, and I am the one that looks like a bisque.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:10 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Chicki wrote:
3/4 of my booth staff (at a tradeshow currently) didn't show up for their shifts today. Apparently they were out drinking until 4am

SO IRRITATING. Now I have to tell their managers, and I am the one that looks like a bisque.

If that makes you a bisque, then I am the Queen of France.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:50 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Wow, I made some offhand, throw-away remark about 'idiots' who ring our doorbell before testing to see if the door/office is open and unlocked, and someone crawled up my asparagus about it. Like, sending an email to everyone in the office castigating me for being RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL (she likes caps lock and interrobangs A. LOT.). Funny thing is, I heard her get frustrated with her own client not two weeks ago and call him an idiot behind his back.

The cool part is everyone else is backing me and I've been getting lots of supportive texts and emails throughout the day telling me she is nuts and that they can't function in the office without me and please don't let her drive me out of this job.

I said not to worry, it takes a lot more than one sourpuss with a face like a slapped arse to run me off! Seems a few weeks ago she issued an "it's her or me" ultimatum. And, well, I'm still here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:14 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I really don't consider myself intensely computer-literate, but after 20+ years of working various admin/secretarial jobs, I'm fairly competent in Office Suite and all the common programs. Somehow this has elevated me to the level of Computer God at work. This morning I had to show someone how to resize a column in Excel so that the printable page would fit on a sheet of paper. Yesterday my lunch was interrupted (see above) by someone who couldn't figure out why they couldn't open a PDF without using either Reader or Acrobat.

I mean, am I secretly a genius? Because it just doesn't seem like this is super challenging stuff.

You are a genius! Apparently so am I. My coworkers all ask me about how to fix things with their computers. I once had to resize a column in Excel for someone because it was too small and it was displaying ##### rather than the actual numbers. She thought the numbers had been replaced with #####.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:23 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

katiejayne wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

You are a genius! Apparently so am I. My coworkers all ask me about how to fix things with their computers. I once had to resize a column in Excel for someone because it was too small and it was displaying ##### rather than the actual numbers. She thought the numbers had been replaced with #####.

YUP. That was another one of the issues I dealt with yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

There is a coworker who sits near me who asks me all kinds of (basic) Word and Excel questions. I've even tried to (nicely) show her how to Google these things. I get it, not everybody is an Office power user or whatever, but at least try to look up the answer before asking someone else!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:09 pm 
Impressive boner

I work with many jobsworths. They love to cite their grade and say 'that's what you get paid for' when they want me or another caseworker to deal with something difficult or potentially upsetting, but most of them are paid more than me due to them having worked there for several years (there has been a pay freeze since I joined). There's so much bureaucratic incompetence that it's almost satirical.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, the Excel thing. We have to track incoming donations sent through the post. When the other admin did it, she would just add up the column separately instead of using a function because she didn't know how to do functions. Even when I put in the function (and it was just a sum!), she would revert back to her way of doing it. I would try to show her how to do it - nope. I can kinda understand someone who pretty much never uses Excel not wanting to bother with learning these things, but when you use it every damn day, you should know how to do a sum function.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:59 am 
Lime and a Coconut

rachell37 wrote:
When the other admin did it, she would just add up the column separately instead of using a function because she didn't know how to do functions. Even when I put in the function (and it was just a sum!), she would revert back to her way of doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I keep getting super specific requests for stationery (like a particular colour of highlighter). Or people will request something, I buy it, and then they tell me it isn't the super specific thing they wanted (but didn't actually specify). We work for a charity! Use one of the other highlighters in the pack!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:50 am 
Lime and a Coconut

As much as I hate those annnoying LinkedIn invitations I keep getting, today I got one from the former co-worker mentioned in this story earlier in the thread. I see he is now working at a different organization, which makes me super happy. And I hope he still has his file of questionable-to-outright-homophobic emails from co-workers and supervisors. Just in case he's feeling litigious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next