| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rant about PETA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Should this go in the parlor? If so, I am sorry.

I know that there is a lot of anti-PETA stuff in this vegan community, but i'm having trouble explaining it to some new vegetarians in my class at college. I figured i'd ask the more eloquent PPKers to help me explain why PETA isn't god's gift to veg*n kind.
angry rants are welcome.

ALSO, what other animal rights groups/organizations should I tell them they can support in the stead of PETA?

Thanks
<3 Boober.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: Rant about PETA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:17 pm 
Hip Goiter

I always start with PETA's insane, unrelenting, horrifying sexism.

PAN - Peace Advocacy Network - is my new organization of choice. Newly founded, Philly-based, started by a friend of mine. http://www.peaceadvocacynetwork.org/

Also, Farm Sanctuary!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The sexism, the hate (the presentation of animal rights stuff tends to be anger-based rather than reasoned out)...those are generally my reasons for not liking PETA

I'd direct people to Farm Sanctuary or HSUS or something like that maybe?

Last edited by Fizzgig on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Too extremist.

Farm Sanctuary, Compassion Over Killing, Mercy for Animals, Vegan Outreach are all good organizations!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:56 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

FARM ( http://www.farmusa.org/ ) is a great organization!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Their ridiculous publicity stunts (which are very often sexist and extremely fat-phobic) do far more harm than good in terms of the general public's perception of vegetarians/vegans.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

extremist organizations don't tell their supporters to eat at KFC
and ASPCA is NOT a vegan org.

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/policy-po ... -meat.html
http://www.aspca.org/about-us/policy-po ... -cats.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:04 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I would worry less about pointing out the flaws in PETA and focus more on introducing them to other vegan groups instead. They'll see the differences on their own when they go look at their sites. All the groups Louzilla mentioned are great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

amandabear wrote:
Their ridiculous publicity stunts (which are very often sexist and extremely fat-phobic) do far more harm than good in terms of the general public's perception of vegetarians/vegans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

The one thing that really peas me off about PETA is that they HAVE the resources to roll some actual change, but they have no follow-through.

I, personally, would have more respect for them if they fought better causes instead of their hyper-concentration on their "fur free" movement which, let's face it, is not as much of a mainstream... Seriously? How many people do you know that even WEAR fur? Fur Free and getting naked women to pose for their posters...

You know what I would like to see PETA heap their money towards? A functioning and FAIR health care system for animals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

PETA does do some legal and lobbyist-type work, but unfortunately all the other crepe they pull ruins most of their reputation.

I think PCRM is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm not fond of PETA because their work just doesn't mesh with my beliefs at all. Some stuff I've heard about them rubs me the wrong way, like their recommendation of euthanasia for all dogs raised for fighting. And they aim so low with some high-profile campaigns, like killing farmed animals somewhat more humanely instead of reducing overall consumption of meat. Also, their in-your-face attention-grabbing kind of ruins it for those of us who prefer to remain rational and set a good vegan example.

I supported PETA for a few years when I didn't know better, probably ages 10-12. They would call me every summer to ask if I would please help with their protest of the Lobster Festival in my town. I thought that was a seriously pointless thing to do in a town that has a lobster festival, and I was annoyed that they would argue about it on the phone with a little kid, so I stopped supporting them.

Now I support Farm Sanctuary and Best Friends Animal Society (and maybe some others in this thread now!).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:56 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I second PCRM and Vegan Outreach, as well as all the farm animal groups mentioned. And any list should also include HSUS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:03 pm 
Dead by dawn

PETA lost me with the ad invoking the Manitoba bus beheading. So far beyond tasteless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:05 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

My range of reasons with PETA runs pretty deep but overall I would sum it up to an emphasis on style over substance. They are so incredibly hungry for publicity and visibility that I think they get blinded to the priorities. Aside from repeated and systematic racism and sexism, they've done some downright callous things that no public organization with a PR department should even consider, let alone execute (such as poking fun at Rudy Giuliani's prostate cancer and putting out comics for children about how their parents graphically slaughter animals). There is also the recommended euthanasia of former fighting dogs than another poster mentioned, and the fact that they have been known to euthanize animals given to them by people who thought the animals would be re-homed. Ultimately it's a lot of directionless and ill-advised zeal.

I second Farm Sanctuary or any local sanctuary, PCRM, and a lot of the others mentioned in this thread as alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

SandyBadlands wrote:
I'm not fond of PETA because their work just doesn't mesh with my beliefs at all. Some stuff I've heard about them rubs me the wrong way, like their recommendation of euthanasia for all dogs raised for fighting. And they aim so low with some high-profile campaigns, like killing farmed animals somewhat more humanely instead of reducing overall consumption of meat. Also, their in-your-face attention-grabbing kind of ruins it for those of us who prefer to remain rational and set a good vegan example.

Not only that, they're supportive of pit bull bans and euthanasia as soon as they enter a shelter*. So fork em.

*Edited for...something

Last edited by Fee on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:18 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

My biggest problem with PeTA is that their models aren't hot enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm torn on the PETA issue because, while I think a lot of what they do is really forked up, their resources are what motivated me to go vegan in the first place, and I got a lot of support from PETA during those crucial early stages of making the commitment. So I do feel like there are some things they do that are really good, and some things they do that really suck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I don't know if anyone's posted the latest but UGH

http://www.salon.com/news/air_travel/in ... _body_scan

So many levels of wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Veglicious wrote:

So many levels of wrong.

UGH is right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

VeganMeredith wrote:
Veglicious wrote:

So many levels of wrong.

UGH is right.

What. The. Fek.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Horrible ad.

I don't like PETA for their publicity stunts. I often feel like they're the distraction the real "opposition" (livestock farmers/large corporations that carry out animal testing) paid for... That may be a little harsh, since I know PETA has helped lots of people go veg/cruelty-free, but seriously... If you REALLY cared about your cause, you wouldn't make yourself look "crazy," would you? You also wouldn't pull these wild publicity stunts and then be soft when it came down to policy...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I love my pitbull! That is why I hate PETA. I hope Ingred Newkirk never ends up in the hospital long term because she doesn't deserve to get visited by any of the amazing therapy dogs that she thinks should be put down!
I never respected them after the throwing buckets of paint on people with fur coats. Great logic-Let's ruin their coat so they go kill more animals for a new one!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
and the fact that they have been known to euthanize animals given to them by people who thought the animals would be re-homed.

When I was in high school (I was born and raised in Norfolk, HQ of PETA), our dog Mimi got out and ran next door and ended up having teen doggie sex with a beagle named Roger. It sucked because she was scheduled to be spayed. I'm not sure why we didn't do doggie abortion, but she ended up having four of the cutest puppies ever. She was a Jack Russel mix and he was a beagle, so they varied in colors. Crazy cute. We tried to find homes for them, advertised, posted fliers, but couldn't. We were afraid to send them to the SPCA because there was a chance they'd be euthanized, so we called PETA. They came and picked them up, my mom and I were sobbing, and assured us they'd find a home for them and that they didn't euthanize, but then the stories hit the papers that they were.

I wouldn't have been so upset if they'd been public about their euthanasia policy, but to think one thing and then hear another so soon after, it was just quite upsetting. We never did find out what happened to the puppies. My hope is that they were so adorable some folks at PETA adopted them or that they found homes soon after that.

I also take issue with their shamelessly sexist, fat-phobic, and distasteful marketing tactics. Being vegan in Norfolk was difficult because everyone, seriously everyone, associates veganism with PETA there. I know this is the case in most places, but it's worse in Hampton Roads. And I'm just going to be catty and say that multiple people I've known to work at PETA were eating cheese secretly but weren't "out at work."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just show them the pictures of PETA dressing as members of the KKK outside the Westminster Dog Show. Who cares what they do after that move?