| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rant about PETA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Vantine wrote:
Just show them the pictures of PETA dressing as members of the KKK outside the Westminster Dog Show. Who cares what they do after that move?

WOHHHAA? Can anyone explain this logic to me?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Vantine wrote:
Just show them the pictures of PETA dressing as members of the KKK outside the Westminster Dog Show. Who cares what they do after that move?

Yeah, they lost me for good as soon as they started playing the race card. As a black person, while I do see the connection between treatment of my people during slavery by fellow humans and the treatment of animals today by fellow humans...really, PETA??! Dressing up as the KKK invoking triggering memories for many Black people is NOT the way to make allies. Shows how much we need to de-colonize the vegan movement!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 am 
Flounceiad 2011

just mumbles wrote:
My biggest problem with PeTA is that their models aren't hot enough.

Also, their acronym stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals."

Just sayin'.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:44 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Choirqueer, I also went vegetarian and then vegan thanks to Peta materials, so i feel the conflict. It's hard for me now because I am so very opposed to the objectification in their campaigns. I have so many loved ones involved in these things, and it really bugs me. I fight these messages in the other social justice work I do, so I hate that it gets tangled up with that of compassion for animals.

Thessaly wrote:
I would worry less about pointing out the flaws in PETA and focus more on introducing them to other vegan groups instead. They'll see the differences on their own when they go look at their sites. All the groups Louzilla mentioned are great.

I agree! Giving people choices is always the most effective route. Pointing out the other groups doing good work, and showcasing the variety in messages and communication will help point out that there are so many kinds of people involved in AR and that one organization doesn't hold all the answers.

Puma wrote:
I never respected them after the throwing buckets of paint on people with fur coats. Great logic-Let's ruin their coat so they go kill more animals for a new one!

I find plenty of Peta's actions objectionable, but my understanding is that this behavior is not sanctioned by them. It is assault, and though there may be people who are Peta members (anyone with $15) who do it, Peta itself does not condone this. If someone has reliable sources that say otherwise, please correct me.

Also, can I get some sources on the fight dog euthanization? I was unaware of that and would like to read about it, but find a lot of crepe through google.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:00 am 
Nailed to the V

While I agree that PETA sucks, I don't think you need to tell them what a shiitake organization PETA is, just point them to the information and let them form their own opinion. Then give them information about worthwhile organizations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 am 
ugh

I'm not a PETA fan either, but I'll echo everyone who said to just ignore them and point people to organizations who do it better. PETA has done some good things, and has the funds to do more, so I'd love them to see other organizations with less ridiculous ad campaigns* have some success and decide to follow suit.

*No one has mentioned the Sea Kittens yet. Not one of their offensive campaigns, but definitely one of their dumbest ones.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Last edited by b.vicious on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Mercy for Animals and Farm Sanctuary are both organizations that I support and feel good about supporting.

Also if you looking for people who are doing important work rescuing and saving animals often you don't really need to look too far outside of your neighborhood.

There are lots of small and struggling rescue groups pretty much everywhere, who are doing everything from rehabilitating birds and squirrels, to fighting BSL laws and performing TNR for feral cats.

These groups often are 100% volunteer staffed with little overhead so that your money goes towards actually helping animals and not so much "administrative costs".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:00 am 
Semen Strong

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
My range of reasons with PETA runs pretty deep but overall I would sum it up to an emphasis on style over substance. They are so incredibly hungry for publicity and visibility that I think they get blinded to the priorities.

I agree with this. I feel like PETA spends its funds on (1) raising awareness of PETA, so that they can get more donations to raise awareness of PETA, and (2) raising the visibility of B, C and D list celebrities in sexy ad shoots, to tangentially raise awareness of PETA. The celebrities mostly aren't vegan or vegetarian, and those who are often go on to wear fur (Naomi Campbell), to leave vegetarianism behind (Drew Barrymore) or to use their celebrity for paid appearances at steakhouses (Pam Anderson), which makes PETA look stupid.

The animal rights issues aren't really a priority.

Plus, I don't like the tone that they take with people who aren't vegan or vegetarian, like you're stupid if you just don't get it or that you should be ashamed or even that veganism will solve all your shameful problems like being overweight. Its the same tone that I didn't like in "Thanking the Monkey" or "Skinny bisque." I know so many people who have tried veganism to lose weight out of fatshame who then quit when they don't lose as much as they wanted and move on to the next fad. I much prefer PCRM which provides information and treats people like they are intelligent and able to understand reasoned arguments. Yes, when I went vegan I joined PETA and was a Vanguard member, but the more I learned the more I choose not to support them.

And yes, yes, yes to supporting local organizations. We have so many great volunteer based organizations that really help animals and raise awareness. Animal Protection League of NJ does great work and I love [url=jerseycats.org]Jersey Cats[/url].

And if you're in NYC, you have to check out Suzy's lovely Ollie's Place. It will warm the cockles of your kitty loving heart.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:24 am 
Chip Strong

I really hate how they are pretty much synonymous with veganism in the mainstream and thus people use their actions as a reason to write off veganism altogether, as if all vegans are racist, sexist, fatphobic jerks. I feel like they force me to be on the defensive even more than usual.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I feel like PETA is the Fundamentalist Born Again Evangelical side of veganism. They are the ones knocking on people's doors telling them they will burn in hell for all of eternity if they don't accept veganism as their personal savor. Sure, the Fundamentalist Born Again Evangelicals do some good feeding the hungry and running homeless shelters, but they also do a lot of damage insisting on abstinence only education, trying to deny women reproductive control over their own bodies, blocking same sex couples from the right to legally marry...

But their are lots of vegans and vegan organizations that are more like some of my Christian friends who know I'm an atheist, but have never once tried to convert me or tell me I'm going to hell. I know I could count on them to bring me groceries if I had a broken leg, and they know they could count on me for the same. I'm sure if I told them I was becoming interested in Christianity they'd be happy to take me to church with them or lend me a bible, but they aren't trying to cram a bible down my throat or the nation's throat.

Sadly, a lot of people assume vegan = PETA, so I'm all for explaining to them why I hate PETA as much as they do. But I also agree, showing them that other more rational vegan groups exist is definitely great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am 

Lixa wrote:
I really hate how they are pretty much synonymous with veganism in the mainstream and thus people use their actions as a reason to write off veganism altogether, as if all vegans are racist, sexist, fatphobic jerks. I feel like they force me to be on the defensive even more than usual.

I wish this were the case - most people I know, including people who call themselves (and otherwise behave as) ardent feminists don't even see the problems you mentioned.

But you're right, Peta and vegan have somehow become synonymous and so everyone assumes we're a certain way and feels justified rolling their eyes at us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:35 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

CandyBeans wrote:

Also, can I get some sources on the fight dog euthanization? I was unaware of that and would like to read about it, but find a lot of crepe through google.

The biggest example of it, which is almost laughable considering how well all the Vick dogs have done since being given a chance, was when they encouraged the euthanization of all of the Vick dogs without any temperament testing or anything to see if they were even capable of being rehabilitated.
http://origin.www.peta.org/b/thepetafil ... -dogs.aspx

And in general supporting euthanization of pit bulls upon entering a shelter
http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-06-08/o ... er-animals

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:40 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Fee wrote:
CandyBeans wrote:

The biggest example of it, which is almost laughable considering how well all the Vick dogs have done since being given a chance, was when they encouraged the euthanization of all of the Vick dogs without any temperament testing or anything to see if they were even capable of being rehabilitated.

Although I sometimes take issues with Nathan Winograd- I tend to agree with him more than I don't.

You might find this blog post interesting
http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=907

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 pm 

SuzyHB wrote:
Fee wrote:
CandyBeans wrote:

Although I sometimes take issues with Nathan Winograd- I tend to agree with him more than I don't.

You might find this blog post interesting
http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=907

Thank you both, this is all very helpful.

ETA: Wow I read all of those and it makes me feel sad and hopeless. Thanks again for the resources - the one on the Peta site was the most surprising.