| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: All nighters/stressed procrastinating students
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have a one page write up in my readings due tomorrow (do we really have to do this in grad school?). I did the readings a week ago, but I didn't do the write-up. Uggg. I don't want to do it.

Also, I'm waaay behind on my Major Research Project. I hope my study permit gets extended so I can take an extra term.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 am 
Nailed to the V

Just learning about carbon sequestration! (will be tested on it in two hours.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

3 final papers, 52 pages, cant concentrate at.all. feel too stupid for it all (not the topics, but writing about it) :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 am 
Nailed to the V

deep breaths! solidarity!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I need to finish editing final paper for Middle English Prof within the next 6 hours. Have 2500 words; need to make them 2500 good words. Need to address all of her comments and concerns and then do one last edit for style stress stress stress.

Why did I crash at 10 pm last night and not wake up until 6:30 whyyy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Dear fellow stressed students: what do you do when you can feel a burnout coming? I've been super stressed for months now, with school, volunteer work for the cultural ministry (not a lot of hours, but it's still pretty serious work), all sorts of exams, personal troubles (a roommate who has been constantly whining about his heartache for 4 MONTHS which is taking a toll on both me and his 7 year old daughter whom we live with, which is making me worried.. And I've also had to end a friendship with my best friend for a lot of years because it had become poisonous. So much stuff going on).
I haven't had a true relax-and-enjoy vacation since LAST SUMMER - every single week off I've had a huuuuge paper og had to study for exams and I CANNOT DO IT ANYMORE. I have already reached my limit for off days for this semester (which will luckily be over in May - but then there's the 5 hours a day summer course in french which I have to take in order to get school support money in july and august).

It's not like I am going down with a depression or anything like that, it's not super dramatic.. I am just so tired ALL of the time. I have to be up at 6.30 every morning and lately I've been late to every single class I have and had a hard time focusing on homework - I don't think I've done any for weeks, besides the completely necessary.

I have 10 days off from this friday, and I really wanted to go to my boyfriend's family's summer house, but alas, he's been a crasshole and neglected to tell me that he has to be on stand by in the city for his band. I really REALLY need to get away from my roommate who is jobless and home all of the time feeling sorry for himself, and just get some positive space around me. I am thinking about visiting my friend who lives a 30 min bike ride outside of the city for a few days and I may visit my granny for a day, since I haven't seen her in a long time. And I have a plan to visit an awesome museum outside of the city (hopefully my mom will be available to come along and drive). I wish I had a place to just relax in my pyjamas and eat delicious food and read books for fun. But since that's not really an option, what would you suggest I do, fellow broke students?

How do you all deal? I know there are several of you who are more stressed out than me - how do you cope without going insane (or at least avoid to stop being productive at all).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

Awww, I'd say try to spend as much time with your granny as you can. Maybe read books in your pajamas with her? Good luck! Hope you get a restful 10 days!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aw smoothie, I sooo get it and it sucks that you're feeling so burnt out :( I feel like this happens to a lot of students around the last week of march, I know for me the last month of every semester is just a sprint towards the finish and the pressure and overwhelming quantity of all that needs to get done almost paralyzes me sometimes. I don't have any real tips aside from taking a few of those days off you have to just do nothing school-wise. also I suggest crying in public bathroom stalls at 2am. I feel you gurl, i'm also a month away from the end of the semester. we can do it!

I'm currently in a mad rush, the standard end of semester madness but I also graduate in May (eeeek!!), so there are finals for my non-major classes and then there is thesis, which for my school is a cohesive body of work and a corresponding 15-20 page paper about the work (historical and contemporary contexts, concepts, etc) and it's just a scary mad rush. My thesis is a diptych installation that involves 100+ prints and two hand-printed and bound books which is actually coming along pretty well, but it just FEELS like so much, I'm 14 pages in to the thesis paper and yet I keep jolting awake literally shaking, feeling like I've forgotten to do something.

I NEED to sleep, but my brain isn't letting me so everything feels so so so much worse, y'know?

ahhh
I hate to complain, I am doing what I love, but all the bureaucratic stuff and the academic classes that have nothing to do with anything and are desperately remedial and still have 6-10 hrs of busywork required weekly make me want to punch. everyone.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

our coffee which art in cardboard
hallowed be thy buzz
thy effects come
our work be done
as it is in summer

give us our daily jolt
and forgive us our sleepless nights
we had forgotten our deadlines
lead us not in to breakdowns
but deliver us from burnout
for thine is the cure from headache
the mornings
the evenings
for ever and ever
amen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I hear you smoothie. I don't know what I do other than feel miserable and keep pushing. It helps my mindset if I do force myself to do something school related every day. (Literally the only day I haven't done at least an hour of schoolwork since this semester started was my birthday, and then I spent like six hours doing work the next day to catch up.) For me, just doing some small thing-- my usual thing is "one hour of work" but sometimes it's a more specific goal-- gives me the mental space I need to relax. After that, I can say, yes, I still have a mountain of shiitake to shovel but I put my time in today and now it's more important that i paint my finger nails and listen to music for a bit.

Anyway, hang in there smoothie... And everyone else who has a hard march through April up ahead.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a 3000 word paper due Thursday. I picked the topic of unicorn narratives as empowerment for little girls (well that's the gist of it, my thesis statement is more clear but I'm afraid she'll google it), the research was really fun, but I don't want to sit down and write it D: Its just not writing itself. And I hate footnotes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Good luck Shy Mox. I just finished a paper like that, all the work leading up to the paper was really fun but making myself write the paper was like pulling out my own teeth with rusty pliers.

My spring break is over, and pretty much the only thing I accomplished during it was getting a bit further behind on everything. Yaaaay.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just finished the 32 page first draft of my bfa thesis!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

WOW, Boober! That's AWESOME.

I managed to spend a full 9 days doing NO school related things at all. I feel SO SO SO much better. Like I can actually do this!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 am 
Nailed to the V

Today's my first day of school. It's the last term of my undergrad. And I am stomach sick about it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I finally finished my notes for my presentation on Thursday. Now I can focus on my 4 papers. Why did I choose to go to grad school? 3 Papers are due a week from Thursday). One paper is due the 19th. Time to get writing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm 
Married to the wolfman

finnophile wrote:
I finally finished my notes for my presentation on Thursday. Now I can focus on my 4 papers. Why did I choose to go to grad school? 3 Papers are due a week from Thursday). One paper is due the 19th. Time to get writing.

Hang in there buddy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been up all night finishing a qualitative data analysis report (it got left a bit to the last minute due to my apparent inability to remember to read the course booklet properly until about a fortnight ago and having a pile of undergraduate essays to mark last week) and bizarrely I now remember why I liked being a student and pulling all nighters! For some reason, when it's really quiet and peaceful and I have a deadline coming up I seem to be able to pull new insights into my research from my brain which resolutely refuse to materialise during the day.

Does anyone else love all nighters or am I just an oddball on this one?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It depends. I was up all night last night doing a gender studies paper that I *really* was not into. I slept for a few hours this evening just because I was still so stressed out about it that I can't concentrate. But tonight I'm up completing my paper on unicorns and I'm having fun with it!

If I don't do a fantastic job on this paper I'm going to be super disappointed, it very much is a labour of love.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:18 am 
Married to the wolfman

Hm, there's a certain zen to an all-nighter. I'm a mega procrastinator and all-nighters are one of the only ways I can manage to get through certain tasks. Once I resign myself to the process, I tend to be SUPER PRODUCTIVE and not very miserable about it. Being at night when I'm not supposed to be doing something else/not really tempted to be doing anything else (except sleeping, ha ha ha) helps.

On that note, I am currently pulling an all-nighter in hopes of meeting 3 deadlines for tomorrow. Yaaaay.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:30 am 
Nailed to the V

I just emailed my teacher because I couldn't find something. I even wrote in the email, "I am hesitant to write this, because I'm scared it's right in front of my face." I had to email her again two minutes later to say "Please disregard." Embarrassingly, I found it right after I hit send.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm trying to avoid pulling an all-nighter on my paper that's due Thursday. It's worth 55% of my final grade and I', so anxious I just freeze up when I sit down to work on it. There's no late penalty so I've decided that turning it in on Friday won't be the end of the world. I think I'll go swing after lunch and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ahoy there, end of the semester! It's the least! wonderful! tiiiime, of the year.

Tonight I'm trying to finish up a project I hate for a group I am on bad terms with. It's not actually due until Tuesday, but for various reasons, the group talked me into committing to finishing the code by tomorrow. Yay. The upside of this is that after this project is done, I can pour all of my energy into wrapping up the project that's due Thursday which is the one thing I really genuinely want to be working on and which I am actually scared of performing poorly on. (It is JUST a presentation, and I am worried I will fork the presentation up and then the hours and hours and hours I have put into the project outside of class will not be apparent.)

Ok, I need to stop procrastinating and resume working.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I guess I need this thread now. Why did it seem a good idea to learn physics in a week?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:55 am 
Married to the wolfman

I am not going to be done this project tonight. I actually got a ton of shiitake done faster than I expected to, but now I've hit a wall that has to do with threading that I really need to stop and think about and I'm not fresh enough to work through that right now.

So switching over to the fun project for an hour, then I'll come back to this.

LW, what are you learning physics (in a week!) for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next