| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soul Sucking Jobs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Commiserate with me! Anyone else have a job that just sucks the living soul right out of you? I'm not in a position to change jobs right now and trust me, I'm happy to have one at all. But man am I burnt out.

Post subject: Re: Soul Sucking Jobs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes. Yes I do. I've been here for just over 3 years and it makes me miserable and cranky. I've been looking for another job for about a year, but no luck so far.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm at the 5+ year marker and I'm trying with all of my might to be strong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have had a few. One sucked the soul out of me so bad that I ended up with a severe depressive episode and nearly ended up hospitalised. Luckily for me moving ended up being an option but I ended up at the stage where I couldn't actually manage to do all that was required for me to get the move so one hell of a nice manager done the work for me.

I realise how lucky I am though because even other people in the same organisation haven't been able to get moves that they really needed.

Then I got moved into a position where the other staff well and truly sucked so all in all I had about 6years of back to back bullying. After a long while I finally plucked up the courage to say..... this isn't good enough for me either. Now I'm finally in a job I adore and no bullies!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:23 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I do! I have only been here 5 months and am contracted to be here another 5. My husband has been unemployed for a few months, so I'm not really in a position to be looking for something new, since we need my benefits. I live for Saturdays and shudder on Sunday nights.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vintage wrote:
I live for Saturdays and shudder on Sunday nights.

+1 Yummy!

I just said last weekend that I have a love/hate relationship with Sundays. It starts off good and ends on a sad note.

Do you guys think there are just some people who can't help but be sucked into their jobs to the point of detriment? I'm starting to see a pattern with myself where I give and give and give all I have, I can't turn off the work chatter in my brain, I am constantly worried about work even when I'm not there, and eventually I fall apart. Work is a huge part of my life and I spend more time at my desk then I do at home. But I can't seem to stop this from happening job after job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:46 pm 
Impressive boner

I've been in my current job for four years. It's boring, tedious, annoying and upsetting all at once. I'm on the look out for a new job in a different department.

I've begun to have trouble sleeping on Sunday nights because of work on Mondays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

GraciaKai wrote:
vintage wrote:
I live for Saturdays and shudder on Sunday nights.

+1 Yummy!

I just said last weekend that I have a love/hate relationship with Sundays. It starts off good and ends on a sad note.

Do you guys think there are just some people who can't help but be sucked into their jobs to the point of detriment? I'm starting to see a pattern with myself where I give and give and give all I have, I can't turn off the work chatter in my brain, I am constantly worried about work even when I'm not there, and eventually I fall apart. Work is a huge part of my life and I spend more time at my desk then I do at home. But I can't seem to stop this from happening job after job.

I think that was me before. I am in a great position now. But it took a lot of looking at myself to find why the past jobs got me like they did. Why did I hate every job I had by the time I left? In part because I used my job as a definition of who I am on a grand scale and that is detrimental to me. I am much more than a receptionist (My current title).
But also I was so terrified of losing my jobs that I would take abuses I should not have taken. I had to learn that boundaries are okay and really critical to my well-being. I need to be able to put work in a basket when I am home. It took some practice, but I think I can do that. It helped me that in this new job there was a discussion of roles and rules and expectations and I know I can always tell my boss that there is a problem.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

i had a really bad one - i applied to out of desperation while looking for a full time job after university. within the span of my last few weeks, there was one day both a customer and co-worker thought it would be 'fun' to cup my asparagus, another co-worker was stalking me/hitting on me (and was fired on the spot my last day for attacking another co-worker), had a seriously unhinged customer try to hurl a can of paint at me that had been prepared improperly by someone else in the dept, it was open 7am-11pm everyday and the management regularly tricked me into clopens by asking if i could cover shifts before the schedule was released, wasn't allowed any availability at all either, so i had to step down from my volunteer positions and coaching (both things that could help me get a better job). they started cutting my hours and i ended up moving back with my family, which was really hard to do after 6 years supporting myself. i know it probably wasn't the smartest move, but i couldn't take it anymore and quit. this was half a year ago and i'm still out of luck in my job search. /complaining

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:23 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

GraciaKai wrote:
Do you guys think there are just some people who can't help but be sucked into their jobs to the point of detriment?

I have thought this many times. I can't help but going balls deep, even when I know it's with a company/job I purposely only took to get me by monetarily 'until I got the right thing'. Sometimes I've even ended up finding myself 'climbing the ladder' and I know when I'm doing it, that my efforts would probably be much better rewarded if I was putting this energy into a job search outside of the company I'm in, but yet, I do not.

It's quite possibly a security thing? Going with the 'unknown' is more dangerous than keeping on doing what you're already doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:24 pm 
Ninja Master

I was in one for 13 years and quitting was a massive relief. Even if it's scary not having a regular paycheck. I am super lucky that I'm able to live ok for a bit but I'll need some sort of job soon if my business doesnt take off.

Commiserations to those feeling stuck!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I wish I hated my job more than I do, because it would be much less soul sucking. Unfortunately I actually love aspects of it and I get some satisfaction from being really good at it, but I am NEVER properly compensated and we have the craziest work politics that have seen awesome people I really care about fired and treated very unfairly. I have been actively searching for a new job for more than a year, however, and I haven't been able to find anything that would be a really positive change.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This me! I go for a couple weeks where everything is 'ok' but eh and then have weeks where everything just sucks and i have a very strong need to get out. I'm actively looking for new jobs but sometimes have a hard time actually applying. Because i'm worn out at the end of the day. And my partner is graduating in a year and likely moving here which means i need to have a steady job/income when he arrives and job searches.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes! And what's even more frustrating is that I don't have any experience or qualifications to do anything else so I feel completely stuck. I guess it's not the job itself that sucks so much (at least not all the time), it's the industry I'm in, the ridiculous amount of bureaucracy and the massive/horrible company I work for. I just keep hoping that someday I can start my own business and put this industry behind me.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Maggie Muggins wrote:
And what's even more frustrating is that I don't have any experience or qualifications to do anything else so I feel completely stuck.

Bingo!

I don't have a problem with getting too involved with my job. Exactly the opposite, really. I make no money and the shop where I work is pretty much a constant poorly-managed caramel cluster. My boss is a nice enough guy but a HORRIBLE employer. I get a stress headache when I walk in the door, and I'm not paid nearly enough to give any more than the bare minimum of shiitakes about the place, so I show up and do my job and then I put it in a box as much as I can when I'm not at work. If I got more involved I think I'd probably end up stabbing someone or burning the place down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hate my job with a burning passion. I've been there coming up on 4 years and have been looking for something different (with varying degrees of earnestness) for at least 2 years. It's a combination of the work(load), culture, and colleagues that makes me hate it.

Like vijita, there are aspects of my job that I enjoy and people that I like working with, but people get treated really badly and they're terrible about introducing changes (such as starting to interview people to take over part of my job before telling me that they were gonna have someone come in to take over part of my job). Put it this way - whereas in most workplaces it would be considered unprofessional to cry at work, it's almost normal in my office.

I actually just realised that a complaint I had about the culture of our office - that people only care about their own work and don't think about how what they do impacts other people - got turned into a training session that was basically telling us it was down to us to get other people to give a shiitake.

ETA - Also, and I think this might be one of my biggest problems, you can bust your asparagus or be the laziest mustard in the world and you'll get the same pay rise as everyone else. There's no incentive for me to put in more than the bare minimum because it won't actually change the outcome because we only get cost of living, not merit, increases.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm 

my job isn't soul sucking in that same way, but i've had my fair share of corporate soul sucking type jobs in the past. my current job sort of bleeds me dry on a daily basis because I want to help people and have the opportunity to do so, but get bogged down in paperwork that doesn't give me time to spend with my actual patients. it's pretty depressing. and of course, the things i could potentially get in trouble for are all based on late paperwork. spending time with patients get me zero recognition from the higher ups. it's depressing as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've been there a few times, and escaped it most recently about five months. I have a super sweet gig now that I like and I like all the people I work with and I savor it now after my last soul sucking job.

I hate to say it but networking is pretty key for a non-soul sucking job. I hate doing it, but I asked a former boss for a recommendation at his (and now my) current company which is also a not-for-profit. I had to interview there three times over more than a year, but I finally got in. Everyone I know that likes their job either works for themselves (and hustles!) or had the help/recommendation of someone they knew.

My whole work philosophy is to accumulate and rock out useful technical skills (in my case SQL/Visual Basic) that are interesting to me and pay well enough that I don't have to work full time being salaried. Then I have time for my other projects and music that I feel passionate about and can still pay rent and have health insurance. It's taken me awhile to get there.

So I think there is hope for anyone who has a soul sucking job. Soul sucking jobs are good motivation for figuring out what you'd rather be doing and what clever schemes you can plot up and deploy to dig yourself out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have one job that is pretty cool but one job that is just calling people asking them for money. It's a chill work environment (I'm there right now and no one cares that I'm PPKing), and it's for a good cause, but it is so repetitive and boring and ugggh I just feel like I cannot keep doing it for very long but I don't know what else to do that would complement my other job. Also when I do both jobs (which is Monday-Thursday) I work from either 10-9 or 9-9. So exhausting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mars wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Do you guys think there are just some people who can't help but be sucked into their jobs to the point of detriment?

I have thought this many times. I can't help but going balls deep, even when I know it's with a company/job I purposely only took to get me by monetarily 'until I got the right thing'. Sometimes I've even ended up finding myself 'climbing the ladder' and I know when I'm doing it, that my efforts would probably be much better rewarded if I was putting this energy into a job search outside of the company I'm in, but yet, I do not.

It's quite possibly a security thing? Going with the 'unknown' is more dangerous than keeping on doing what you're already doing.

Yes, Yes, triple Yes! I can't help myself.

I left the bridal industry after 10 years of being sucked dry and took this job as an admin asst. just so I could take a break and do something less demanding. And 5 years later I'm the Office Manager/Executive asst/Business Operations manager/Bookkeeper, etc. There aren't enough titles to cover everything that I do.

The company I work for is small and trying to grow so it has become more and more demanding over the years and just mentally exhausting. There are some aspects that I still like. And I deeply respect my boss and am grateful for all of the things I have learned here. I just wish I could set better boundaries and limits. And I wish that people weren't so political and bureaucratic at times.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That sounds like how my job was (until they effectively demoted me) - I was the PA to the CEO, office manager, IT assistant, HR assistant, now Comms assistant (since they took away the PA bit). That's the worst part about working for a small organisation - there's an expectation (whether explicit or implicit) that the people who are already there have to deal with everything that comes along and take on more responsibility rather than hiring another person. And if they're really awful, you'll get all that extra work and responsibility for the exact same pay you've had since you started.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

rachell37 wrote:
That's the worst part about working for a small organisation - there's an expectation (whether explicit or implicit) that the people who are already there have to deal with everything that comes along and take on more responsibility rather than hiring another person. And if they're really awful, you'll get all that extra work and responsibility for the exact same pay you've had since you started.

Oh my god, yes. I work in a really small shop, and as we've gotten busier and busier we've actually lost employees. But instead of hiring people to replace them, everyone who's left is expected to just somehow handle those jobs on top of our own, even if we have no idea what we're doing. "Figure it out" is probably the most common refrain from my boss. And of course no one is paid any more for it, even if you're essentially doing two or three jobs all at once. It's really frustrating and demoralizing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:56 am 

WHILE I was venting in this thread I got an email with an amazing job lead. Wow. Wish me luck you guys! I want my soul back!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay! GOOD LUCK!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:48 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Oh man, can I commiserate with some of the people here.

The job I'm in now is actually my best so far, and I hope to be here for many more years to come. It's a supportive, humanitarian, ethical environment and I have met the most wonderful people there who I am now happy to call friends and colleagues.

However, there is one single person who is so negative, creating such drama and demanding such attention, that she is sucking everyone else's soul up. I have to work with her on more of a regular basis than others in my office, so I have been noticing it and dealing with it for far longer, but it's getting to a boiling point now where her actions are beginning to affect even those who don't interact with her very often. I dread knowing this person will be in the office. The only thing that makes it bearable is knowing that pretty much everyone else I work with is great and that they've got my back when things get too out of control.