| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An urban "Farm Animal Sanctuary" version of a Cat Cafe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone! :)

So here's an idea that could help wake tons of people up to caring about farm animals, and hopefully caring about them enough to stop eating them (or their eggs/dairy).

OK, so have you heard of the best place in the world? Well, one of the best places in the world. Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIRH3Prib0

It's a cat cafe in South Korea! You go there, hang out with cats, and you can buy snacks/drinks for yourself, and buy snacks to feed the kitties!

There's also a dog cafe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw9BiYUPKBs

Wouldn't it be great if someone (you?) opened a vegan cafe/bakery like this in an urban area, except with with mini pigs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4XWcDSR8w), pygmy goats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3fxgi7F_qI), and chickens (you know what they look like!)?

One of the great thing about farm sanctuaries is they show people that the animals that humans exploit/imprison for food are sentient creatures, with a full range of emotions, and very loveable. But because they're in rural areas, most people don't get to visit them (or even hear they exist). But a bakery/cafe like this would allow them to fall in love with pigs and goats - and at the same time eat delicious vegan treats/food, and realize vegan food can be delicious.

I think a place like this would have the power to change a lot of people!

There's two concerns to consider, though. one is hygiene. cats go pee/poo in litter boxes (which I assume they put in a back room) and dogs can be trained to ask to go outside. What about these animals? Pigs can be trained like dogs are, so they're no problem. Pygmy goats can be trained to pee outside but they drop their little poos everywhere. Chickens can't be trained to do their 'business' any particular place. But apparently both pygmy goats and chickens can wear diapers! LOL! (Check out pictures in links)

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Diapers-and-Saddles/Chicken-Diaper-Free-shipping-p494.aspx

http://m.b5z.net/i/u/10073043/i//felicias_diaper.bmp

The next concern is the animals. Whoever ran this cafe would have to be able to take care of them and provide them with a good living environment. Having only two of each animal would make that easier. and I think they'd be very happy in a cafe where every human wanted to feed and pet them.

So if you think this is a good idea, you should definitely give it serious consideration! What do you think?

Thanks for listening! BEST WISHES to you for 2014 and beyond!

Post subject: Re: An urban "Farm Animal Sanctuary" version of a Cat Cafe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I think if your urban farm sanctuary cafe opened in my city that I'd spend all of my free time there.

And I do think real exposure to farm animals could have on impact on some (many? most?) people. I sometimes volunteer at a farm camp for kids and week after week the kids beg for more time with the chickens. I don't know how the affection they have for the chickens carries on into the kids' home lives and eating habits, but I let myself be a little optimistic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

That does sound neat! Another problem though, would be zoning. You may not be allowed to have animals classified as farm animals, in any sort of urban area.

But a place with goats that I could pet while eating my vegan sandwich, would be awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:07 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I... am not so sure. I think that animals kept in an urban space which is not their natural habitat and forced to be in contact with humans all day long would be very stressed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:51 am 
Huffs Nooch

Anek wrote:
I... am not so sure. I think that animals kept in an urban space which is not their natural habitat and forced to be in contact with humans all day long would be very stressed.

That's a good point. I'd say it would depend a lot on the environment and also the amount of people around and the people themselves. But it's definitely an important consideration. Perhaps the most important one, especially given the intent of the cafe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This reminds me. My retirement goal is to buy up a bunch of agricultural land in central CA and restore it to native wetlands for migrating birds and such. Some part would be sectioned off as a farm animal sanctuary and near that part would be a vegan cafe. There would be some bit of interaction with the domesticated animals. It would be right off the 5, which is a huge corridor between northern and southern ca. Of course, it's not urban but it's a lot closer to urban areas than farm sanctuary or animal place.

It's gonna take a lot of money, paperwork, and time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I love your enthusiasm and spirit to try to educate more people!

When I was in Tokyo, I visited a place called raagf, it's a rabbit cafe. The way it worked there was you made a reservation then at your time, you and a bunch of other people were allowed into a small area where a few rabbits were let loose. You could buy a snack for them (veggies) or you could just pet them and watch them.

The impression I left with was rabbits not happy. They were stressed at being cooped up in tiny pens for most of the day. The one bunny that did visit with me was really hungry otherwise I got the feeling it wanted nothing to do with the place. Just my opinion of course. The people caring for them seemed to love the rabbits but no care was taken to get you to wash your hands before playing with them and I am not sure how clean the place was either.

Visiting a farm sanctuary is the best bet I think. You can really present the facts and the animals are lovingly cared for. I'm not sure you can capture that experience in an urban area but hey it's worth a shot!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:16 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

couroupita wrote:
This reminds me. My retirement goal is to buy up a bunch of agricultural land in central CA and restore it to native wetlands for migrating birds and such. Some part would be sectioned off as a farm animal sanctuary and near that part would be a vegan cafe. There would be some bit of interaction with the domesticated animals. It would be right off the 5, which is a huge corridor between northern and southern ca. Of course, it's not urban but it's a lot closer to urban areas than farm sanctuary or animal place.

It's gonna take a lot of money, paperwork, and time.

What a great retirement plan! Love it!