| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gunshots?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:30 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

So this morning, I was awoken by gunshots just a block from my house. This is not an everyday thing here (not even in the town as a whole, much less my quite neighborhood). The police blotter shows that the shots were actually about a 1/2 a mile away. But I know that the first ones were much closer.
This is just two days after a drunk went rampaging through the neighborhood screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs.
So, I am a little freaked out right now. Is this what our world is coming to?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post subject: Re: Gunshots?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Wholly crepe that's scary! I hope this is a really random occurrence and you don't have to worry about anything similar happening again. Sending hugs.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:07 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm sorry, that's awful :\. Did you figure out why there were gunshots?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:41 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

pranaferox wrote:
I'm sorry, that's awful :\. Did you figure out why there were gunshots?

Nothing so far in the news.
The entire incident lasted quite a while too. I heard the first shots between 4:30 and 5:00 this morning and the last ones just after 5:30.
I do think this is directly related to an incident earlier in the week. A drunk was going up and down the next street over shouting "fork you" and "I'm gonna find you" for at least a half an hour before the cops took him away.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I always lie to myself when I hear gunshots. "Oh, that was just a truck backfireing" or "Those kids and their firecrackers!" When you pretend it didn't happen it makes life less scary.

Sorry that happened in your hood.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hate that. It's so scary! I hear gunshots every once in a while and I swear, the only time it makes the news is if 1. a child was shot, 2. multiple people were shot, and/or 3. a white person was shot. Seriously. It makes me sick. If shots were fired but didn't hit anyone, it never makes the news unless the person being shot at was a cop.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I hate that. It's so scary! I hear gunshots every once in a while and I swear, the only time it makes the news is if 1. a child was shot, 2. multiple people were shot, and/or 3. a white person was shot. Seriously. It makes me sick. If shots were fired but didn't hit anyone, it never makes the news unless the person being shot at was a cop.

Yes! This is definitely true. Though, sometimes when one person gets killed in the crossfire during a gang-related shooting, that does get on the news here occasionally - especially if it was in a neighborhood that's currently being gentrified...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:18 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I hope everyone involved is ok and that this was just some freak occurrence that will never happen in your neighborhood again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There are gunshots here once a week at a minimum. It's awful and it's frightening, and I'm sorry it's affecting your neighborhood, too. ((hugs))

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

At my old house, in the sticks, I'd hear my hillbilly neighbors shooting animals/mailboxes/the air quite often. I ignored it. Now I'm in the big city, ha, and I actually rarely hear them. It is a big city, so I must be in a safe-ish spot. Wouldn't know it by the helicopters, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

hey now, I thought I told you it was probably one of my ex's crack head hos...
But really, I'm sorry you had to go through that and if it ever happens again call me!

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

Every time the window is open or I'm walking through the apartment in the dark, I'm convinced somewhere in my head that I'm about to get raped and killed...

However, I have been watching Law & Order: SVU on Netflix stream nonstop for the past week...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:29 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Scruffleupagus wrote:
Every time the window is open or I'm walking through the apartment in the dark, I'm convinced somewhere in my head that I'm about to get raped and killed...

However, I have been watching Law & Order: SVU on Netflix stream nonstop for the past week...

This... this... this...
I do know people who would stoop very low to prove a point. I just don't think the point would be directed at me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:54 pm 
Joking!

kfad wrote:
So this morning, I was awoken by gunshots just a block from my house. This is not an everyday thing here (not even in the town as a whole, much less my quite neighborhood). The police blotter shows that the shots were actually about a 1/2 a mile away. But I know that the first ones were much closer.
This is just two days after a drunk went rampaging through the neighborhood screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs.
So, I am a little freaked out right now. Is this what our world is coming to?

That all happens several times a day in my neighborhood, except for the gun shots, that's only a couple times a week, more in the summer, at least when I'm home, who knows how much it happens while I'm at work or out and about. Had to call the cops/ambulance on one of the drunks (he defecated all over himself and was writing around in dog poo right outside our security gate)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That is scary and it should be. I've gotten uncomfortably used to gunshots. The other day I was sitting in my classroom after school talking with another teacher. We heard gunshots and just paused our conversation for a minute waiting for screams. When we didn't hear any screaming, we just continued our casual conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:54 am 
So Totally Yiffy

/hugs. I've never heard gunshots and I think I'd be scared out of my wits. Just seeing people with guns makes me nervous, like at the airport or abroad. I hope it doesn't happen again to any of you but I can't imagine that being the case sadly.