| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: There are two mice in my room as we squeak.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Mice can chew through cement? Wow, mouse teeth are as impressive as goat hooves!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22 pm 
Chard Martyr

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Mice can chew through cement? Wow, mouse teeth are as impressive as goat hooves!

I learn so much on the PPK.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:

I worked in a hfs that had a mice problem. Mostly cause we also had bread around during the night.

The guy that came to seal all gaps, like the gap between the cement and the heating pipes told me the mice would chew their way through the cement, so he wanted to reinforce his cement work with metal (scrub) sponges to make it harder for the mice to chew their way back in.

I myself once demolished a chimney that had holes/tunnels in it from mice looking for a place to built their nest.

Post subject: Re: There are two mice in my room as we speak.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

takecare wrote:
my cat stalks them and catches them. she never physically hurts them, she just holds them down with her paws and scares them. once she paralyzes them with fear it's pretty easy for me to scoop them up in a cup & release them outside.

This terrified me!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Bun, if there's an infestation issue, you should get your landlord to help you out!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Bun, I think I should come over and help you out with them. I could... well I don't actually have any mice-prevention or mice-catching skills, but I think I should come over anyway. I can be supportive. And I can bake you cookies! I got VCTOYCJ for Sinterklaas... We could watch more heartwarming children's movies and go "awwww!!" a lot. I bet mice don't like it when people say "aww" a lot. That's a cruelty-free mouse removal method. Saying aww a lot. Yes. I think this'll work.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It's been a very eventful day. When I got back from the hardware store, I found two mice in the trap: one adult and a younger mouse. The baby had one of his/her back legs and tail stuck between the trap door. I panicked, because I was sure the leg was broken and it was my fault. However, my housemates came to the rescue, took the trap from my crying, shaking self and released the mice outside. They said he/she ran away quickly, using the leg and not limping, so it was probably alright. It took me a while to regain my composure, though. My housemates offered to help me mouse-proof my room and so that's what we did for 4 hours straight.

Now, I think there must have been 2 adults and a nest of babies. About a month ago, I caught a mouse, which could have been the dad. We caught another baby, and there is still at least one (but probably two) in my room somewhere who refuses to be caught. We removed all the food, taped shut places they could be hiding (not nest or find food) and used steel sponges and PUR.

ETA: I just saw two and heard a third one :(. I don't want to call the landlord, because he might call an exterminator.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:39 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Searching about online, cotton-balls with peppermint oil are supposed to act as a mouse repellent. Some other sources have said dryer sheets or moth balls, but peppermint oil seems to be the main one.

I'm glad you're so committed to not killing them. :-)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Dr. Horrible wrote:
Bun, I think I should come over and help you out with them. I could... well I don't actually have any mice-prevention or mice-catching skills, but I think I should come over anyway. I can be supportive. And I can bake you cookies! I got VCTOYCJ for Sinterklaas... We could watch more heartwarming children's movies and go "awwww!!" a lot. I bet mice don't like it when people say "aww" a lot. That's a cruelty-free mouse removal method. Saying aww a lot. Yes. I think this'll work.

Sure! Are you doing anything on Friday? :)

Last edited by Bun on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

PB in no kill traps worked for me. Or cats.

Sometimes the smell of a cat will drive them out, other times not so much.

If you do get them in a trap be sure to drive them away because if they like your place they will just walk right back in

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for your advice! I was already going to look for some peppermint oil tomorrow, and ask my friend to borrow her cat for a few days!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:01 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I've been told you have to take the mice a mile away, or they'll just go back into your house.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Make tiny red Santa hats!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:30 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Bun wrote:
Thanks for your advice! I was already going to look for some peppermint oil tomorrow, and ask my friend to borrow her cat for a few days!

I wouldn't recommend borrowing the cat, but ask if you can borrow some used litter - I've heard that mice pick up the smell of cat pee and like to be far far away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:32 pm 
Chard Martyr

Did this thread always say "as we squeak" or did it initially say "as we speak?"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

KarynMC wrote:
I've been told you have to take the mice a mile away, or they'll just go back into your house.

The problem is that this house is already full of mice, so even if I were to take them that far away, new ones will take their place. Right now I'm trying to block all their entrances.

Tofulish wrote:
Make tiny red Santa hats!

Squeeee!

Fee wrote:
I wouldn't recommend borrowing the cat, but ask if you can borrow some used litter - I've heard that mice pick up the smell of cat pee and like to be far far away.

That is a very good idea. Thanks!

Meggs wrote:
Did this thread always say "as we squeak" or did it initially say "as we speak?"

I changed it because I kept reading "squeak".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I second Fee's toilet roll trap, mice are apparently compulsive about round openings. I had a pet mouse who got out, and she was gone for a few days and always ran from me when I found her, so finally I held out her wheelie ball, which has a round opening. She HATED being in that thing, and you could observe her internal struggle to resist, but she hopped right in.

Mom finds the frequency repellent really effective, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:30 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Shy Mox wrote:
I second Fee's toilet roll trap, mice are apparently compulsive about round openings. I had a pet mouse who got out, and she was gone for a few days and always ran from me when I found her, so finally I held out her wheelie ball, which has a round opening. She HATED being in that thing, and you could observe her internal struggle to resist, but she hopped right in.

Mom finds the frequency repellent really effective, too.

I just woke up and found the trap empty (smart mousies!) and Fee's trap unused. I don't want to buy one of those electric repellents, because I have a rabbit in the room.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:53 am 
Chard Martyr

Bun wrote:
Meggs wrote:

I changed it because I kept reading "squeak".

Thank god, I thought I was going nuts.
Ugh, frustrating! I hope something works! Are the barriers holding up that you've created? Hmmm I guess you won't know until you remove all mousies from premises.

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2