| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Year's Resolutions 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Do any of you folks do resolutions? I'm doing a couple this year...more just things that I probably should be doing anyway but haven't been great at.

In 2017, I aim to...
- drink more water (2L/day)
- wake up earlier and have more relaxing, not-rushed mornings
- learn to knit and sew (I have classes booked to do both this month)
- try to do more yoga, since I enjoy it when I do it
- budget better

Do you have anything you'd like to accomplish/resolve to do better/more/less of in 2017?

Post subject: Re: New Year's Resolutions 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:14 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm looking to practice a lot more self-care overall in 2017. For example, I lost a lot of weight in the second half of the year due to stress and not eating as a result, so I'm aiming to get to eating 3 meals a day on a regular basis and put more weight and muscle on, especially as I have a very physical job and my work will suffer if I don't. I'm also booking myself into physio this week for my long-term back pain due to an old injury from 2004.

I also want to make time for things that I enjoy that aren't work-related, like learning to play the fiddle and going to ceilidhs, as well as spending time with friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm practising yoga everyday in January, doing yoga with Adrienne. She's got a new program out called Revolution, it's great so far.
I'm also starting my yoga teacher training so, hopefully by December, I'll be a qualified yoga teacher.
I'd also like to read all Margret Atwood's novels that I haven't read yet.

Trying not to have too many 'targets' as I know yoga and studying is going to take up so much time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Imogen wrote:
I'm looking to practice a lot more self-care overall in 2017. For example, I lost a lot of weight in the second half of the year due to stress and not eating as a result, so I'm aiming to get to eating 3 meals a day on a regular basis and put more weight and muscle on, especially as I have a very physical job and my work will suffer if I don't. I'm also booking myself into physio this week for my long-term back pain due to an old injury from 2004.

I also want to make time for things that I enjoy that aren't work-related, like learning to play the fiddle and going to ceilidhs, as well as spending time with friends.

You'll have to come visit Imogen and I'll cook for you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Chickpea wrote:
Imogen wrote:

You'll have to come visit Imogen and I'll cook for you!

I'd love that :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paprikapapaya wrote:
Do any of you folks do resolutions?...

I'm going to try to make my lunch from scratch for weekdays and either bring it for lunch or go home to eat, rather than going into town and spending money on food.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:57 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

less time on social media, more time reading books! Ever since leaving New York and not having those (sometimes) lovely subway rides without cell phone service, both jason and I have not been able to get back to reading as much as we used to. it's a bummer! we're going try to have silent reading time without phones before bed. Also, start playing ukulele again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This isn't strictly a new year's resolution because I was working on it last year but then I got sick like three times in quick succession and it went out of the window a bit, but I want to get stronger/fitter/more badass so I don't struggle with some of the physical stuff I want to do. I'll be in the PNW in June and there's a specific hike I want to do that has a lot of uphill, and I don't want to spend the entire uphill part being out of breath and miserable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would like to read more non-fiction, specifically history related, this year. I think that is a doable resolution. I got a few books out of the library last year but just rarely got round to reading them. So I think instead I will look for some books on kindle because I am more likely to read them, as my kindle fits in my bag and I can read it when I'm in waiting rooms, on public transport etc. Rather than a book which I have to read at home and I always have "something more important to do".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:31 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have two:
to read two books per month (I am a slow reader) and to get all of those books out of the library. This was my goal for 2016 and while I succeeded at the library part, I only read 20 books, so it's my goal again this year.

and I am going to do the 1,000 miles challenge. I try to walk a couple of miles every day so I am hoping I can actually achieve this goal.

good luck to everyone!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:47 pm 
Taco Scientist

As of today I want to pay off my credit cards. shiitake has gotten out of control.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hoodwinked wrote:
...1,000 miles challenge....

Ooh, I hadn't heard of this before but it sounds like a good one, I might adopt it for myself too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I tend not to, because I can't stick to them but I have a few vague-ish ones this year.

Try to eat more salad and veg, even if it's just adding some to the side of something.
Try my best to stay positive and not feel like topping myself after a day in work.
Try to contribute/help to those around me more. I would so much like to help a charity out, even if it's only something small.
Try to take better care of myself.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:53 am 
BAD PASS

Last year mine was to use all of my vacation days, and I did it (the year before I had like 2 weeks left over at the end -- they cash it out, but only at 50%, so the days off are worth way more to me).

This year I will probably do the same, and I didn't really have anything concrete, but I do want to read more. And to read and obtain more physical books. I love my Kindle, because I can get any book immediately, and I don't need a reading light to read them, but the new house has lots of shelf space I want to fill. And who doesn't love physical books?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

dropscone wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I'm going to try to make my lunch from scratch for weekdays and either bring it for lunch or go home to eat, rather than going into town and spending money on food.

I made it through a whole (4-day) work week but it was SO HARD!... actually, I got into the swing of it a bit by this morning but I don't know how long I'm going to be able to resist popping into town for something tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:37 am 
Level 7 Vegan

dropscone wrote:
dropscone wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I made it through a whole (4-day) work week but it was SO HARD!... actually, I got into the swing of it a bit by this morning but I don't know how long I'm going to be able to resist popping into town for something tasty.

At this time of year I usually make a soup to take to work. Something simple but delicious like the tomato soup from oh she glows or golden Australian soup from eat to live. I also make extra from dinner so there are tasty leftovers. It would be difficult for me to get take out but, because I usually spend some of Sunday planning/making meals, it is just automatic now.
Good luck with sticking to your target.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:22 am 
Saggy Butt

My only resolution was to NOT do any. Can't keep them ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:03 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Mine is to have sex with at least 1 different person each week. If I don't keep up December will be a very busy month

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:04 pm 

dropscone wrote:
dropscone wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Every time you feel the urge stick the money in a jar, you'll be surprised at how much money you save

Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Star wrote:
Mine is to have sex with at least 1 different person each week. If I don't keep up December will be a very busy month

What if you like some of them enough to do it again? You're going to be worn out if you've accumulated 52 simultaneous lovers by December!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks for the encouragement Chickpea and Star. I am going to get my arse into the kitchen and make something for tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:51 pm 

dropscone wrote:
Star wrote:

What if you like some of them enough to do it again? You're going to be worn out if you've accumulated 52 simultaneous lovers by December!

If I fall for someone then the deals off. Im completely monogonous, but at the moment I'm into fun

Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:01 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

dropscone wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement Chickpea and Star. I am going to get my arse into the kitchen and make something for tomorrow!

I am trying to eat more salads at lunch time, but I find I still need something warm to make me look forward to eating and not just running out for a burrito.

Whenever I make a dinner that lasts more than a couple nights, I freeze leftovers in single serve portions. After a while I have a good variety of things to grab from the freezer to take for lunch. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but even the occasional single serve item to grab on a morning you don't have time to assemble something is really helpful. Soups, stews, stir fries and curries with rice tend to do the best with this.