| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is calling someone an "acquired taste" a compliment
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

A very dear friend just told me that I am crazy opinionated and an acquired taste and that both were very high compliments.

Now I know I am not sticky sweet but an acquired taste? doesn't sound too appealing....

what have other people said about you that they meant as good but could be taken as otherwise

Post subject: Re: Is calling someone an "acquired taste" a compliment
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:04 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

People (in real life) always say something like "you're funny...no, you're more sarcastic"

Thanks for downgrading my compliment in the same breath you give it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I would not take somebody calling me an "acquired taste" to be a compliment. That's what you say when you hate something at first, but then grow to like it (like the way many people feel about beer, or their first cigarette, or wine). I wouldn't be insulted necessarily, but it isn't what I would consider a compliment.

Somebody once told me that I had a "unique style" and that if anybody else wore what I did, "they'd look like a clown." But, she insisted that I looked "great." Right, okay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, I guess it could be considered better to be an "acquired taste" than to be someone people initially like and then start to hate after a while.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

No one's ever called me an "acquired taste" but I know I have been one for some. Certain people who later became close to me told me that they didn't like me at first before they came to realize that I'm someone they want in their life.

I don't think it's a compliment though, or I wouldn't really take it as such. I think it's more an observation. But I'd rather be someone grows on people and is a keeper than the type who makes a spectacular first impression but doesn't hold up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'd take it as a compliment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I don't think of it as a compliment, but it's not an insult. Were you two talking about someone you don't get along with, or who doesn't like you? I know I've had friends who a lot of people don't like at first, but once you get to know them, it's easier to see how awesome they are--maybe your friend was trying to comfort/reassure you that you are likeable, it just takes time for some people?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:41 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

My friend told me once that I'm fun-loving, creative, and sensitive. I'm still not sure if being sensitive was intended as a compliment or not though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:46 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

I don't think I would take "acquired taste" as a compliment initially, unless I knew that person was trying to say I'm unique or eccentric, but in a good way. I guess it would just depend on what that person meant exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

speaking as an acquired taste . . . no.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If someone told me that I was an acquired taste I would smack the shiitake out of them. That is just a dumbpants thing to call someone and makes no sense at all.

Compliments kind of irritate me in general. They are not normally sincere and I don't need anyone blowing smoke up my asparagus. If you like me I can tell. You don't need to tell me how awesome I am.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

GraciaKai wrote:

Compliments kind of irritate me in general. They are not normally sincere and I don't need anyone blowing smoke up my asparagus. If you like me I can tell. You don't need to tell me how awesome I am.

yeah.

that said I think "acquired taste" sounds like a compliment to me. Like that you're not fake, you're a genuine person.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't think it's really a compliment or an insult. I know there's people I know who I really didn't like at first but they've grown on me and I really enjoy spending time with them now. I don't think it's really complimentary but not a bad thing either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

It's like "like at second sight!".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

DTMFA.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:42 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It would depend on who said it. I can think of at least one person who would get punched if they said that to me. But like, if Brian said it (and I think he has told me some variation of that), I wouldn't care because I know that Brian worshipped me like a goddess from the second he laid eyes on me, so he wouldn't be talking about his personal feelings.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It sounds like a nice way of saying "You were irritating at first, but I learned to deal with it." Being "crazy opinionated" can be a compliment. It's rather be opinionated than indifferent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It kind of just sounds poorly worded, but I'd take it as a compliment. People often say similar stuff about me, just because I'm pretty guarded and emotionless when I meet new people and it takes a long time for them to 'get' that I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just bad at feelings. Once they figure that out, they usually think I'm pretty okay.

Besides, as someone else said, beer and coffee are aquired tastes and they're two of the best things ever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:18 pm 
Chip Strong

a backhanded compliment, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Re: acquired taste - not really, but I don't think it's a bad thing, either. I've been told something along those lines, and I didn't take it as a compliment or an insult. It's just the truth.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Lixa wrote:
a backhanded compliment, yes.

This. I've been called an "acquired taste" more times than I could count, presumably because I present as an unlikable person but have the ability to redeem myself at a later date? Also, people seem to either really like me (except in my mind they are all lying because I am inherently unlikable) or completely forking hate me and talk shiitake on me to everyone they know. So I'm kinda like Brussels sprouts. Which could definitely be described as an acquired taste. Then again, so could balut.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

i can sort of relate. except mine is more along the lines of people being around me for awhile and then (really) telling me that they used to think i was a total bisque until they got to know me better.

yes. really. this has happened to me so many times. i think i'd prefer 'acquired taste' to that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'd totally take it as a compliment. some of my best friends are definitely "acquired tastes". people i didn't reeeaally like at first, but who grew on me and then became the most important people in the world.
and really, acquired taste as in beer, wine, olives, cigarettes, artichokes and that sort of stuff? much better than being a potato. seriously, who wants to be friends with a potato? sure, potatoes can be made into all sorts of interesting and delicious things, but on it's own they're just sort of bland and boring, unless you're REALLY in the mood.

i am definitely an acquired taste. and i am very happy about that fact.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:50 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

I think the term is ambiguous in how it is derived for each individual person, but I think it can be looked at in a positive light most of the time. I think it generally means that there is something trying about you, but part of the reason they like you is because of this quality, not necessarily in spite of it.

Many of the people that have influenced and challenged my normal conventions have been "acquired tastes". Despite the fact that they can be quite brash and intimidating, I go to them when I want an honest answer or an honest perspective. In fact, it's a quality I've consciously adopted for myself to some degree.

Some people aren't necessarily challenging, but fun to be around or you just have a certain mutual relationship with them that you don't share with anyone else. I've had friends that have grated my nerves in some ways, but I could tell them things I couldn't tell anyone else because they understood me, and vice-versa.

Then, there are those that really grate you, that you can only take in small doses. In your case, however, I'd take it as a compliment. I'd go nuts without the opinionated figures in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm 
Semen Strong

smoothie wrote:
i am definitely an acquired taste. and i am very happy about that fact.

I adored you the first time I met you. You're not an acquired taste for me! Also, I like potatos.