| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Need gift ideas!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I need help figuring out something to buy for someone I am obligated to buy a gift for every year, but don't know (or like) super well. I was trying to think of something I could get for their whole family instead of buying separate gifts, but I am open to any ideas right now. Any thoughts? I've been thinking all week and I've got nothing.

Post subject: Re: Help! Need gift ideas!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Can we get some more background on the person and family? and a dollar amount for the gift

Charitable donation in their name is always the best for someone you don't really like.

A movie night basket is good for a family.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Is this a holiday gift or other gift?
I would say an entire family of personalized monster ornaments.
Or baked goods, if they like food. And who doesn't like food? You could do a family gift basket with homemade breads and jams and other such things.
Socks? Toilet paper? Both practical and useful.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:09 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It's a gift for my father and his family for Christmas. None of us have a good relationship with my father. I don't know him well enough anymore to buy him something "personal." He doesn't have any hobbies or activities he enjoys (except for going to work). I was hoping I could find something for either him and my stepmother, or both of them + my stepsiblings. I'm obviously not looking to spend a ton of money, but I am not setting a price range yet. I am just looking for ideas because I am at a loss.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a gift quandry as well... Five and a half year old girls... what do you get them that doesn't mean an extra chore for their parents and isn't totally the most expensive thing ever?!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Nickalya wrote:
I have a gift quandry as well... Five and a half year old girls... what do you get them that doesn't mean an extra chore for their parents and isn't totally the most expensive thing ever?!

A giant tulle skirt. That's what I'm getting for my niece this year because, really, I want one. Temporary tattoos are great and cheap, though they do require some parental involvement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

BananaNut wrote:
It's a gift for my father and his family for Christmas. None of us have a good relationship with my father. I don't know him well enough anymore to buy him something "personal." He doesn't have any hobbies or activities he enjoys (except for going to work). I was hoping I could find something for either him and my stepmother, or both of them + my stepsiblings. I'm obviously not looking to spend a ton of money, but I am not setting a price range yet. I am just looking for ideas because I am at a loss.

Perhaps a basket with a soft throw blanket and some food or booze?
ETA: You can get really nice fairtrade baskets online if that's their taste. Like this one: http://www.fairtrademarketplace.com/sto ... detail=118
but that might be too hippie for them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Nickalya wrote:

I have bought my nieces funky dress up things from thrift stores for a few years now and they always love them. Bright high heels, gaudy purses, necklaces, size S women's dresses (especially short formal dresses).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:54 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Nickalya wrote:

something that doesn't have a billion pieces-I have a 5 year old boy and I'm trying to simplify his room cause the billion pieces will be in a billion places. He likes coloring-not color books but to make his own stuff so we go through a lot of paper.